Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
My DH is down in Brownsville, Texas this week crossing over the border each day for a pastors' conference. Just heard Hurricane Dolly is expected to hit soon. He's right in the heart of that. Please pray for the safety of everyone there. cry

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
S
S
Oh, goodness, PM! Brownsville is smack in the middle of it! Of course we will pray. I'm in Houston and have been following this storm well (after what happened with Rita, we had to) and last I heard, Dolly was expected to hit on Wednesday. Will he be home by then, or is he riding it out there?

thinking of you,

slh

[font:Arial Black]
JUMP!
-- and you will find out how to
unfold your wings
as you fall.

- ray bradbury

[color:red]
K
K
Praying, PM. You know, one of the first things I thought of when I heard about Dolly on the news, was all the great MarriageBuilders in Texas. I think this place really gets under the skin (in a good way!)

I hope you all stay safe!

P
OP Offline
P
I tried to call a few minutes ago but the guy I talked to said they crossed over the border this morning and they're not expected back until this evening. I'm going to keep trying. He also thanked me for the update because they didn't have any televisions or internet where they are and they're relying on people calling them with updates. Yikes!!

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
P
OP Offline
P
I'm in Houston and have been following this storm well (after what happened with Rita, we had to)

Oh dear. Rita was awful. We have an office there and it was shut down for awhile during all of that. Are YOU heading out if it turns your way?

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks KIR! I'm hoping my fellow Texans down South keep checking in so we can know they're safe.

S
S
Please let us know how he is and what's going on once you speak with him. Are there other pastors, or missionaries there as well? Is he ministering to a particular town or village that we should remember as well?

As for leaving if it heads this way . . .mmmm, I don't think so. Not unless it becomes a 4 or 5, and right now it is still only a 1 -- but we know how quickly these things can change, don't we? crazy

During Rita, we left town (went to Dallas) on the "allotted" day, per our location, as the state authorities had designated, and we were on the road for twenty-seven hours. Did you evac too? Absolute insanity.

For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. Ps. 91:11

JUMP!
unfold your wings
as you fall.

- ray bradbury

D
dkd Offline
D
I don't want to minimalize this at all, but relatively speaking, this is a rather weak hurricane. This is nowhere near Rita. I hope your DH is finding good shelter and is ok, but the risk is pretty low relatively speaking.

I'm in Houston, and if in the odd chance this turns up, it will likely won't even be a hurricane anymore after dragging across land for so long. Can't see an evacuation happening unless you're right on the coast. But all the freeway signs are saying to be prepared and fill up your gas tanks.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
B
B
I'll be praying for him and the other missionaries.

I have been thru my share of hurricanes having lived in FL for the last 30 years. The last 12 of the in a mobile home.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
S
S
Shoot, I'm in the SE corner, just outside of Houston. I remember we had a direct hit from a Cat 1 a number of years ago, and I vividly remember scoffing at it and taking no precautions beyond securing yard toys and furniture, which, frankly I have to do with most thunderstorms in our area.

I grew up in LA and had seen plenty of hurricanes, hadn't I?

I hadn't taken into account a number of things, including the lower sea level (= major flooding), the fact that our whole area had once been rice paddies, and the laughable amount of puny wind that absconded with my patio equipment, and everything else in the back yard -- even the secured items. One chaise lounge had been picked up and tossed against the fence where it stayed, all of it's legs embracing the mesh diamonds.

I take hurricanes seriously now, even puny ones! wink

JUMP!
unfold your wings
as you fall.

- ray bradbury

A
A
I will keep your H in my thoughts and any one else living out there. I doubt San Antonio will get anything of it but I hope you guys stay safe and sound. I am greatful that my DH work didnt send them back out there once they got work of the storm out there.

Hugs to all

Married 1996
4 wonderful children 16, 13 *OC*, 10, 7
FWW 30's
FWH 30's
My dday 1-2007 he came clean to me

My story
New beginings
M
M
PrincessMEggy, I am just south of Houston if your H needs a safe place to go. I have a few guestrooms that he is free to use.

I have no intention of going anywhere. Y'all are going to have to send Geraldo Rivera to get me out of here! HALE NO, WE WON'T GO!!! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
PrincessMEggy, I am just south of Houston

Yo, Mel, i thought you were up near Wacko wink -- had no idea you were in our area!

JUMP!
unfold your wings
as you fall.

- ray bradbury

M
M
I moved down here about a year ago. A hurricane should be fun!! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
When I lived in LA, we would always have huge Hurricane parties. Lotsa lanterns, good food, and tons and tons of board games (my personal weakness!).

of course, I was a lot further inland than I am nowadays! LOL. I recently saw a computer image of what the Galveston/Houston coast would look like if a Cat 5 Hurricane came through and we got the "clean" side of it -- let's just say, we'd be underwater all the way up to Beltway 8 S!!

JUMP!
unfold your wings
as you fall.

- ray bradbury

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
PrincessMEggy, I am just south of Houston if your H needs a safe place to go. I have a few guestrooms that he is free to use.

I have no intention of going anywhere. Y'all are going to have to send Geraldo Rivera to get me out of here! HALE NO, WE WON'T GO!!! laugh

Aww you're so sweet. I just talked to DH, he called from Mexico! He said it's just barely sprinkling right now but they've heard it's coming. He's really starting to freak because he doesn't want to get trapped there unable to cross back over because of a hurricane, or even a tropical storm. He's going to call me back later and let me know what's going on. If they leave, they'll just drive straight back, but I appreciate the offer!

P
OP Offline
P
Yes there are other pastors there. But since y'all are saying it's only a 1 (lol, ONLY) I'm not quite as worried as I was. I was thinking RITA when I heard the news. Thanks for your prayers though, couldn't hurt.

It took you 27 hours!!! to get to Dallas. Sheesh, that's terrible.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Melvin, that's good to know. Being in Dallas where we have NO hurricanes, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've never even been close to one.

P
OP Offline
P
The last 12 of the in a mobile home.

OMG, do you like living on the edge? LOL

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks pretty, I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation