Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2250545 04/23/09 11:34 PM
A
OP Offline
A
My husband just came home from a year long tour in Iraq a few weeks ago. He left this afternoon to go for a ride on his motorcycle and hasnt came home all day. Now it is 9pm, and he called to say he is around the corner visiting some old friends. I flipped out, yelled at him, hung up on him and texted "f*** you" to his phone. After getting over my anger that he's with his friends and not home with me and the kids, I feel like an a**hole.
I don't know how to not react in anger when he wants to hang out with his friends. I've always been this way. I feel angry, rejected, and alone, and I sometimes have an anxiety attack. I realized that I overreact, but I dont know how to be "normal"... I want to feel okay when he leaves. I also flinch every time he makes a sudden move near me, even though he has never hit me, nor threatened to. It hurts him that I flinch because he says he would never hit me.
I'm sure this has to do with my fear of abandonment because my dad left me when I was 8. It also has to do with my mom being an alcoholic and always being in dysfunctional/abusive relationships. I dont know how "normal" people act in a marraige. I always remember my mom flipping out if my step-dad went to hang out with his friends. I also have a hard time trusting my husband because of a short affair that happened over a year ago.
Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop thee things from affecting me this way? I'm afraid that the way I overeact so easily will tear us apart....

Me,BS age 24
WH age 23
DD age 3,DS age 2
WH deployed March '08-March '09
4 affairs
Plan A/B~complicated
I filed D 8/4/09
C
C
So you are duplicating your mom?

Good place to start fixing yourself. Before your H gives up on you. This is not his issue, but you know that.

So what are you doing to fix YOU?

How long have you been seeing a psychologist? No? Why not?

How many books have you read about jealousy and insecurity and low self-esteem?

What group therapy group have you joined so you can learn to like yourself and so the other members can hold you accountable and help you grow?

And what are you doing to please your husband? Read up here about Love Busters. There's a questionnaire he can take, which will tell YOU what YOU do that he doesn't like. Once you know these things, you can spend the next 6 months dedicating yourself to NOT doing these things any more. That's the first step to a good marriage.

Printing it out and asking him to fill it out (so you can be a better wife) would be a good peace offering for what you did last night.

A
OP Offline
A
thanks for the reply....
i will do the questionnaire...
i havnt really done anything as far as professional help...
i have read some books, but i guess i'm a little bit afraid to open up and talk to a proffessional about my issues...
i dont really know where to go...i know i need to though.

Me,BS age 24
WH age 23
DD age 3,DS age 2
WH deployed March '08-March '09
4 affairs
Plan A/B~complicated
I filed D 8/4/09
C
C
FYI, the professional help...so many people are afraid of this, but if you find a qualified person, it is amazing how much help you can get, how they can clarify things for you, give you a sense of purpose, give you 'homework' to try, and hold you to task for working on yourself. Whatever notions you have about what professional help is, forget about it. They can do a world of good, if you get the right one for you.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation