Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
If I expose, things won't be like they were....

We've heard it a hundred (nay, a thousand) times. You might think something like...

"I don't see the benefit of exposure, I'll lose my husband/wife. They will be mad at me, my kids are too young/stupid/immature to understand, I'll lose our income, Somebody will be mad at me (spouse, kids, family, other man/woman or their spouse)... I don't see the need to tell so many people... It's not biblical, it's vindictive."

Excuses are a dime a dozen. Exposure is a scary thing. But not for the person in the right... Want to expose but are afraid? Don't want to expose because you think it is wrong? Read on... here's a few reasons why exposure works and SHOULD be done...

On the surface, it appears that exposure will simply drive the person away and kill chances at making a recovery. In fact, exposure more often does the exact opposite? Why? Because affairs are rooted in the unreal. They are fantasy that thrives on secrecy and lies. Exposure brings the truth to the front and uncovers the secrecy. I would bet that a great many AP's feel trapped by the other and secretly want to be exposed so that the madness will end.

Does exposure anger the cheating spouse? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The question that needs to be understood is why? Why? because they cannot live in the fantasy world anymore. They have become accustomed to cake-eating. That is, having what they think is the best of both worlds. They're upset because they don't get their way. Many times they are relieved though, and the majority over time become grateful they have been exposed. A lot of times, affairs are about control. The control is removed with exposure.

Now, will you lose you husband/wife if you expose? The real question isn't will I lose them, it should be "will I get them back?" Your spouse is already gone if they are in an affair. The love, time, energy, attention, is all being focused at another person. In effect, they are just a body occupying space in your house. Already gone. exposure shocks them to their senses. It wakes them up. It tells them you will not be walked over again and again. It says sin has consequences and you won't be a consequence anymore. What does it say? It says because I love you, I won't let you continue this destructive life. It says I will fight for you because our marriage is worth it, even if you currently are not. It says "here is your opportunity to be the person you once were, or can be. By asking people to intervene on your behalf you are saying you WANT your marriage, and you want it better than it was.

Will you lose your income? Maybe. But what's more important, the money or the marriage?

What about the kids? Teaching your kids to lie helps no one. It is not protecting them at all. Teach them how to deal with problems, teach them how to work through forgiveness and be better people. Kids aren't dumb. they probably already know something's up. Trust us, the lessons the kids learn will save them down the road.

Family may be mad... So what? It wasn't you who did this. What if they look at you different? So what? Things are different. Life has changed forever. You don't want to lie to them do you? I don't know a single person who has not experienced infidelity either in person or peripherally in their family or circle of close friends. They won't be surprised. You might be though. You might be surprised to find that they can help end the affair. You might be surprised to find support in some that you thought would never help you. You might find that the least likely person may be the person to get through to your cheating spouse.

Should you tell the OMH or OMW? Yep. It is a cruel thing to keep this from them. It is harboring a lie. It is destroying their family as much as yours. Exposure on their end helps ensure the Affair ends permanently. The AP will have his hands full after being exposed. He will often be watched like a hawk.

Exposure is not biblical, it's vindictive... David was exposed for his affair with Bathsheba. Publicly. Gomer was exposed by Hosea. In the Bible, idolatry was used synonymously with adultery. God called it wh0ring. Over and over again, God lays bare Israel's spiritual adultery before the nations. Not because God is vindictive, but because God is loving. Hiding sin is never loving. It is aiding and abetting. God loved His people so much that he didn't hide their sin, he exposed it to bring them to repentance. Christ does not hide the Christian's sin. It is confessed and laid bare before God and then dealt with.

What is exposure? It is one of the greatest acts of love one can do for another. It says "I love you enough to try and save you from this death you are courting". It's not finger pointing, it's the beginning of the restoration process. It is the call to your wayward lover for them to return back to you...

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
Great post! Thanks... smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Great post! Thanks... smile

Welcome! I've seen so many on here the last few weeks that just don't want to expose for so many different reasons.

I know I wish I was here on the forum immediately post dday, and just don't get why something like this is so hard. In a way, this is advice for BS' and in a way, this is a "thanks, I've learned" to everyone who took the time to "teach" us... From Dr H all the way down.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
Yeah, I must admit I was one of those. I wish I would've done it earlier but, as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

The thing that bothered me, even after exposure was the indifference or the excuses made for the wayward, particularly from the in-laws. I heard everything from "your ww is a grown woman and can make her own choices" to "that's just the way women are when they've reached that point". Obviously, all were just their way of sidestepping their responsibility as a loving family member to stand up for what's right. So sad...

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
B
B
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
The real question isn't will I lose them, it should be "will I get them back?" Your spouse is already gone if they are in an affair.
In effect, they are just a body occupying space in your house.
It tells them you will not be walked over again and again. It says sin has consequences and you won't be a consequence anymore.
It says because I love you, I won't let you continue this destructive life.
It says I will fight for you because our marriage is worth it, even if you currently are not.
It says "here is your opportunity to be the person you once were, or can be.
God loved His people so much that he didn't hide their sin, he exposed it to bring them to repentance.
Christ does not hide the Christian's sin. It is confessed and laid bare before God and then dealt with.
What is exposure? It is one of the greatest acts of love one can do for another. It says "I love you enough to try and save you from this death you are courting".

CV, your words are a gift from God.
My Wife hasn't spoken to me for 2 months since exposure.....I needed to hear this.
Thank You CV!!

BH(Me)= 55
WW(Her)=43
DD=24 (My step-daughter, been raising her since the age of 8, SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!!)
Married=13 yrs
Together=16.5 yrs
THIS IS MY STORY
WW moved out of the home = May 1,2011
D-Day=July 4, 2011
Dear Wife: I'm COMPLETELY CRAZY about you!.....as of Aug-2012 forget that last part....Good Luck to you and GOODBYE!!
"Mourn the woman she was. Know the woman she is."
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by BillCarolina
CV, your words are a gift from God.
My Wife hasn't spoken to me for 2 months since exposure.....I needed to hear this.
Thank You CV!!

{{{bill}}} Man hug bro... You're doing a good job with what you have to work with.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
Here is another advantage of exposure, especially for BH with WW: Any man who just sits back and says, "Whatever makes you happy, honey, just don't be mad at me," when his wife is out with another man is sending a very clear message that He Does Not Care About Her.

No woman wants to stay with a man who sees her with another man and just sits there and shrugs his shoulders helplessly. Why should she? If he cares so little about her, why should she stay with him?

Exposing her affair to the light of day shows the WW that her BH is still willing to fight for her and does NOT want to think about her being with another man.

For BW with WH, there is a similar dynamic: that of "I don't want to lose you and I am willing to fight for you."

That willingness to fight back and SHOW that you still care about the WS often makes a big difference, and it is one that many BS fail to recognize.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
M
M
This is interesting because it is almost the opposite of what I've seen on another forum called the 180. They say the fastest and easiest way to get a waywayward spouse back is to act like you don't care.

That concept was quite difficult for me, specifically, because it was hard to act like i didn't when I did.

Obviously, I didn't do the 180 even though it doesn't seem like anything I did would have mattered.

Last edited by marksaysay; 11/02/11 02:51 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
S
S
I just exposed WH's A to OWH and now I don't know what to expect. But I LOVED this post. Thank you. It gives me hope and strength.

D-day 1- August 2011
D-day 2- October 2011
D-day 3- December 2011
Filed for divorce 2-2012

Married since 7-04
Together since 1-02
1 child-19 months old
F
F
Originally Posted by marksaysay
This is interesting because it is almost the opposite of what I've seen on another forum called the 180. They say the fastest and easiest way to get a waywayward spouse back is to act like you don't care.

That concept was quite difficult for me, specifically, because it was hard to act like i didn't when I did.

Obviously, I didn't do the 180 even though it doesn't seem like anything I did would have mattered.

MWD isn't an expert on infidelity.

Harley is.

Classifying walk aways under the same umbrella as wayward spouses is a huge mistake.

Specifically I think the approach is more appealing to some b/c you just ignore the A.

But just read and it's clear. I have seen more people enter recovery using MB principles and the knock out exposure method than ignore the A method.

The BS isn't the problem, that is secondary in nature for marital recovery.

The first and only problem during an A.....is the A

If steps are not taken to end the A, there is no shot at recovery.

WW Are Fun
P
P
Originally Posted by marksaysay

Plan B is a hard core 180.

Me BH 35 WW 36
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
M
M
Plan A is also doing things "out of the box" We all know how hard it is to hold your tongue when your wayward is spewing venom at you, and blaming you for all that is wrong in their lives.

It took everything out of me to keep my cool during my Plan A. My wayward was really angry!

Tough

R
R
The 180, which I tried, made my FWH happy. Because he was then free to pursue his time with OW without me bugging him.

Not the best plan ever. It is also dependent on the WS being able to pull their head out of their addictive behavior all by themselves, and to end the affair on their own.

My FWH was not able to do that.

I read on that forum, too. I see a lot of people who just need a straight up Plan B. Because sitting, wishing, waiting isn't a plan. It's a good song, but not a plan to end an affair.

Thanks for all the support along the way.
I wish you all well. I'm outta here.
Peace.
P
P
The following link is my "exposure story" .... way back when no one had a cell phone. People wore "pagers" clipped to their belt or their purse.

Pepperband's discovery & exposure tale

EXPOSE already.

Sheesh! banghead

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Pepperband
The following link is my "exposure story" .... way back when no one had a cell phone. People wore "pagers" clipped to their belt or their purse.

EXPOSE already.

Sheesh! banghead

Wow Pep. Just wow. How long have you guys been recovered?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
P
P

Since early 1996.
Mr Pep's sobriety began the day of discovery.
He started attending AA regularly about 10 days later.

I wish I'd had MB for recovery.
I did OK with D Day and exposure .... but the way I recovered was ( doh2 ummmmm) sometimes not very nice towards Mr Pep.
All I can say is, his love bank must have been pretty good .... because I can DJ like no body's business.

We had an excellent counselor. He had been a priest, but left that profession and later married. He was soulful and wise. Also, he was happily married.

I even DJ'd the counselor a few times! faint

Age has mellowed me. stickout

P
P
I think that sometimes a newbie (noobie) reads Dr Harley"s *** BASIC CONCEPTS *** and tries to apply those concepts during their spouse's affair.

WRONG !

They assume that Plan A is Plan "be nice".

WRONG !

They assume that upsetting their spouse via exposure is a worse offense than their spouse's affair/adultery.

WRONG !

And the underpinning of the common misconception about Plan A is that meeting the needs of their wandering spouse will be enough to stop the affair.

WRONG !

The purpose of Plan A (carrot and stick) is to shake things up in affair-land.
The purpose of exposure is to cause as much social discomfort for the adulterers as possible.

C
OP Offline
C

Since early 1996.
Mr Pep's sobriety began the day of discovery.
He started attending AA regularly about 10 days later.

I wish I'd had MB for recovery.
I did OK with D Day and exposure .... but the way I recovered was ( doh2 ummmmm) sometimes not very nice towards Mr Pep.
All I can say is, his love bank must have been pretty good .... because I can DJ like no body's business.

We had an excellent counselor. He had been a priest, but left that profession and later married. He was soulful and wise. Also, he was happily married.

I even DJ'd the counselor a few times! faint

Age has mellowed me. stickout

OMG! My wife told me I was just like you... Or you were just like me... I can't remember! We didn't do the counseling, but the rest is pretty close to how we did it too.

Thanks for the peek into your life. It really is encouraging to see other folks stumble through like us and still make it.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
S
S
Just wanted to add my support here, for this awesome post! Also, a huge THANKS for the others on here who have gone before and held many a hand for those of us who came along later needed one to go through with it!

Exposure can be scary, for sure. When I was staring it in the face I looked at it as a form of self respect - righteous indignation even, in addition to what all CV said. A spouse that is cheating does not respect the spouse at home. Who could respect someone who is allowing an affair to continue and doing nothing? And if that spouse does not respect you - they certainly can't love you. Love and respect go hand in hand.

I was on the "180 site" for awhile before coming here (was unaware of MB at the time) and got banned for talking about how exposure worked to save my marriage. Well...all I can say is, 180s sure hadn't worked. Oh, it made things nicer for my H for awhile - and perhaps some of the 180ing was a bit of Plan Aing... but unbeknownst to me, while I was 180ing my H was ramping up his affair from an EA to a PA!

Yeah... I'll stick with Exposure.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

S
S

EXPOSE already.

Sheesh! banghead

AWESOME story, Pepper!!!!! LOVE it!

weightlifter

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation