Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 48 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 47 48
S
S
I'm glad for the warning because I've been thinking we should watch it. Didn't think it would be a problem, but apparently it is!

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

M
OP Offline
M
Until a BS understands that a WS' punishment is living with what they have done TO THEMSELVES is worse than anything the BS can do to them, recovery and marital happiness CANNOT happen.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
S
S
Originally Posted by MikeStillSmiling
Until a BS understands that a WS' punishment is living with what they have done TO THEMSELVES is worse than anything the BS can do to them, recovery and marital happiness CANNOT happen.
I don't understand this. What does "worse than anything the BS can do to them" mean? Do WSs live in fear of what the BS can do them? What is that?

In any case, this is not what Dr Harley says about the conditions for recovery. It is not necessary for a WS to feel horror/shame/grief or anything else about "what they have done to themselves" for recovery and marital happiness to happen. There is only the need to focus on changing behaviour in the present and in the future. Demanding (even silently, in our heads, or encouraging others to look for this, here on threads in MB) that our FWSs feel punished by living with what they have done to themselves is only a way of exacting revenge for what they put us through, and staying stuck in the past until we see this demonstration of punishment.

The implication of Dr Harley's requirements for recovery is that the sentiment you have written here is actually an impediment to recovery. If a BS believes that this is necessary from the WS, that BS will not recover until this punishment is seen - which it often isn't.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
OP Offline
M
1. Never said it was a Harley-ism.

2. Its a me-ism.

Originally Posted by SugarCane
The implication of Dr Harley's requirements for recovery is that the sentiment you have written here is actually an impediment to recovery. If a BS believes that this is necessary from the WS, that BS will not recover until this punishment is seen - which it often isn't.

Totally.

S
S
1. Never said it was a Harley-ism.

2. Its a me-ism.
It seems a shame to be posting here on Dr Harley's forum, with the benefit of his advice in all the articles, and use "me-isms", which hold recovery back, instead of Harleyisms, which recover marriages.

However, that's your choice. I just hope you don't post that kind of advice to other BSs. It is an impediment to their recovery, as you yourself recognise.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
OP Offline
M
I just checked, this is my thread. My feelings. My problems which are real. I didnt solicit anyone's thoughts on it and those of us going through poorly managed recoveries may certainly understand my sentiment.

And, when I do go onto others' threads, I only offer positive, MB centric advice. I appreciate your concern on that.

Let me ask you this: should I write a bunch of lies about whats going on over here?

Id rather hear truth and real life similar to what is going on with another brother-in-misery on his thread than some flim-flam life is rosey crapola.

N
N
Until a BS understands that a WS' punishment is living with what they have done TO THEMSELVES is worse than anything the BS can do to them...

I have often voiced an opinion that the pain that a BS experiences, whatever the intensity, is always buffered by the fact that it is NOT self-inflicted.

Are you there yet, MSS?

S
S
Id rather hear truth and real life similar to what is going on with another brother-in-misery on his thread than some flim-flam life is rosey crapola.
Is that how you characterise Dr Harley's advice?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
OP Offline
M

If you want dishonest feelgood malarkey then its best you avoid this thread.

My posts are best used as a warning for those looking to skirt the issues and poor mb execution.

Last edited by MBeliever; 05/17/13 12:51 PM. Reason: disrespectful to poster

M
OP Offline
M
Ng-

You know and i know that i am not there.

Sadly.

And the worst part its all on me thats preventing it.

S
S
If you want dishonest feelgood malarkey then its best you avoid this thread.
That's rude, MSS. I read your words and quoted them back to you. Can you not discuss them without anger?

Last edited by MBeliever; 05/17/13 12:52 PM. Reason: removed disrespectful comment

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Mike, have you considered taking antidepressants?

It's not posting on the forum that will fix the problems. It's not making friends here (although this is certainly a cool bunch of friends!) It's not waiting for time to heal all wounds - they won't heal without disinfection and treatment; instead you get gangrene.

What will fix the problems is ACTIONS. Do you not know what actions to take? Or do you know and are having problems putting your emotions aside enough to take the actions?

Recovery involves doing some things we don't feel like doing. If we are so emotional that we are claiming we can't or won't do them, Dr. Harley really recommends those antidepressants. Now that I've tried them myself, I second the recommendation. They will smooth out the highs and lows so you can think logically for awhile and take action, and in the end only the action will make the difference.

How long has it been since you took your wife out on a good, long, enjoyable date?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
EDIT

Rude and uncalled for.

Just because it "your thread" doesn't give you the license to comment on others posters/threads and lash out when questioned.

Last edited by MBeliever; 05/17/13 12:52 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
OP Offline
M
Excuse me. I made a statement that i attributed to no one but me and i get grief. If i said that my interpretation of mb doctrine is...then id accept your comment.

And again on my thread where i choose to keep it real.

P
P
No, you made a comment that is not conducive to recovery and it was pointed out to you, which made you angry.

Your thread or not, non-MB statements that keep you from recovering need to be pointed out, however "real" they are.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

W
W
Keepin it real brotha. You sometimes write the thoughts that are going on in my head. Thats kinda freaky sometimes but tells me I'm not alone.

I too struggle with poor MB application. 4 months out from D-Day and I'm still having dreams of what they did together. Some days it gets stuffed into the abyss and others it percolates on top. I'm not having AO's but I do prefer to be alone sometimes so she doesn't have to deal with my moods.

Take yesterday for instance. It was a bad stuffing day and the pain, anger and loss just boiled on the top of everything I did. WW asked me if there was a trigger that she could watch out for and avoid. I thought that was awesome but truthfully, the answer was no. The pain is always there. I've come to realize that I'm in the pit of hell because I haven't actually made the decision, or should I say committed to one, to either stay or go.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
S
S
Excuse me. I made a statement that i attributed to no one but me and i get grief.
You did not attribute that comment to anybody. You posted a "requirement for recovery" here on MB, and I pointed out that it is not a requirement for recovery, for those doing Dr Harley's programme.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Excuse me. I made a statement that i attributed to no one but me and i get grief.
You did not attribute that comment to anybody. You posted a "requirement for recovery" here on MB, and I pointed out that it is not a requirement for recovery, for those doing Dr Harley's programme.

Yep; nothing wrong with correcting misunderstandings about Dr. Harley's program, on Dr. Harley's forum.

(Speaking of which, Dr. Harley doesn't spell "program" that way.)

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
OP Offline
M
I WROTE IT.

Didnt hyphen anyone.

And i know full well its not conducive to recovery. Such is a reason i write it: the irony of knowing what is wrong yet not being able to understand it.

M
M
And i know full well its not conducive to recovery.

Do you want some help recovering?

Such is a reason i write it: the irony of knowing what is wrong yet not being able to understand it.

Did you read my post above?

Page 43 of 48 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation