Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
frankd Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I normally hear from DD in the morning on the way to school and on the way home and right before bed time........well tuesday i did not hear from her but once at 6:30 pm .......the I did not here from her until 7:17 pm yesterday and DD called from OM's phone......so either om broke WW phone or ww can't afford it......who knows ....I asked dd last night and she said I will see you friday....Meaning she will let me know then.....So I was going to get DD a cell to have while she is down there.......what do you think

C
C
Under normal circumstances I would say no. I have 3 daughters...the youngest 2 are 13 and 10. I just got the 13 year old a cell phone fot Christmas, and I don't think the 10 year old is old enough to handle one. But I was putting myself in your place, and if my daughter was unable to contact me when she needed/wanted to because lack of a phone, then I think I would buy her one too.

Get a pre-paid one and tell her that she may only use it to call you or in case of an emergency. If you get an A T & T go phone it can be taken out of your checking or credit card, you can get plans as cheap as 19.99, and you can increase it or stop it any time. I got my daughters cell phone from the A T & T website and only paid 9.99 for a reconditioned phone, and you can register the phone online so you can check and see what calls were placed/received.

Like I said normally I would say no, but in this instance I think it would be a prudent thing to do. I'd hate to think of her not being able to talk to you when she wants to.

I also want to find out what is up with the OM....why would he break your WW's cell phone? Is he violent?

-Caren

B
B
I don't think that it would be a terrible idea to get your daughter a cell phone that she could use with you only. Tracfones are pay as you go and they are under $50 at Walmart, if you don't want to get her an expensive one. Do you think her Mother would let her have it or would she use it for herself.

Sometimes cell phones can be an excellent way to keep the lines of communication open between the two of you. I have a friend that everytime her son goes to see his father out of state, the new W will not allow him to call his Mom much, she discourages my friend from calling to by saying that the visitation is "their" time and they are very busy. She is going to get him a phone so that they can communicate without the interference of the step-mom when he is gone (which can be for a month or two at a time).

I have a 9 year old and we gave her an old tracfone that we have. If she could she would call all of her friends. I monitor her. But girls will be girls. Yesterday she called me on my cell phone and I went to answer my phone and she was only 5 feet away. For the most part she is very good with it and as you know girls that age are very smart these days.

Good luck. I would do anything I could to stay in touch.

Cathy

G
G
Yes Frank, I would get her a cell phone. Your situation is unique and your D needs a safe way to contact you. Tell her that it is for her use only and only to contact you or another family member. Friends can pick them up and misuse them.

Be aware that your WW and her OM may cause problems here. They will not want her to be able to contact you at any time.

Get the phone and give Meagan a sense of safety, you are her Father.
Continued prayers, Ladysing

F
frankd Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I got Meagan a nextel......I called them because I have a company phone and one for my college son that I pay for ....I told the lady the situation and she gave me a cheaper phone for 99 cent...it will have 500 anytime minutes and after 9:00 pm free ,plus messageing incase i have to leave a message,I t also has 2-way free in state....and insurance for loss or broken......The 2-way is instant for speed pourposes......$39.00 a month.....

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 788 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation