Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Vee Offline OP
OP Offline
V
After nearly three years of going back and forth with my ex-h, in Sept of 2003, I decided it was time to get myself together emotionally and end my marriage. I filed for divorce in Feb of 2004 and it became final in Nov 04. Since filing - I decided to get back into dating. I had a serious rebound relationship from March 04 until Aug 04. I realized that my 1st relationship moved rather quickly and it was important for me to take things slowly & learn to have fun dating.

In Feb, I met a really nice guy. We became friends, although, it was apparent that he was interested in being more than friends. He was also divorced and, in my opinion, seemed to be much like myself and over his ex-wife (she was a WS like my ex-h). I being cautious, wasn't sure if he was just playing games & decided to watch his behavior. By April, I decided that he was a nice enough guy & never seemed to pressure me or made any sexual advances - we were friends and by May we started dating. Last week, his ex-wife reappeared. She said some things about missing their family and wants to reconcile. I, of course, am clearly upset, but I spoke to him and told him I understand his position and I know the road he is on now. He told me that he honestly thought it was over and he is in the process of hearing her out. He has some serious trust issues with her, but again - having lived this myself - I know that he will have to make a very tough decision on reconciliation with her. I also explained that he & I could not be in contact because my presence would hamper what he needs to sort out.

Considering that I learned a great deal about this man over the period of six months, it would be a lie if I didn't say I cared a great deal for him and was falling in love with him.

That is my story - but I have a question - because to me - he seemed to be in the same place as myself - emotionally divorced from his ex wife - are there certain ques, questions or behaviors you look for in dating now? I'm curious to see if I may have neglected something during the time I spent getting to know him.

Thanks! Vee

Me - 29 Ex Husband - 30 married 6 years 1 daughter (2yr) 1 OC (2yr) Divorced - 11/04
A
A
How long was he divorced?

C
C
Did the two of you ever have a talk about where you were emotionally? He really may have believed he was over his wife. This really isn't terribly uncommon. How long was he married and how long has he been divorced? I think these are the two most important determinants.

As for questions and cues, these have to be tailored to the individual. You had six months and it sounds like you were careful. Really, you have to tread carefully in this area. Who wants to try to have a relationship with someone who must have take-to-the-bank evidence that you are over your former spouse? This isn't any different from dating someone who may have just come out of a BF/GF relationship. You pays your nickle and you takes your chances. There's always an X-factor.

Interesting how we become so gunshy after a divorce isn't it?

T
T
Only one question... (now, of course)

Have you been divorced more than two years?

It doesn't really matter how "emotionally divorced" you are from your spouse, it takes time to find yourself again and heal. Time, there's just no way around it.

~Big Guy

BigGuy1965a118 @ MatchDotCom
Currently a RENTER.
Still working on my TAKER.
Looking for the one who'll hold my hand at 85.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation