I posted this on GQII and Divorced and Divorcing Boards but am seeking advice anywhere I can get it:

My 7 year oldish (got her from a shelter) beagle/shep mix (size of a shepherd, looks like a beagle - a beagle on steroids) is not doing well. I have been to a doggy neurologist who, unless I pay him $2700 for x-rays under anesthesia, a spinal tap, mylogram (sp?), and cat scan, is only able to tell me it is one 4 possible things:

1) ruptured disk
2) tumor pressing on the spinal column
3) tumor inside the spinal column or
4) inflamation in the spinal fluid (e.g., meningitis)

Her blood panel was all within normal limits except something liver-related which was elevated to 230-something. Both the neurologist and my regular vet said elevated level was nothing to worry about unless it persists for a few more weeks.

He prescribed a steroid, antibiotic and pain killer. How long does it take for these things to begin to work. The pain killer is giving her some relief, but she's had 3 doses and is still really out of it. She's not shaking anymore and only whimpers when standing up after being confined/laying down. But she is not well.

So....I am now $800 lighter, my poor puppy is still miserable, and I don't know what to do....Any thoughts?

BB and Trixie