Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dee80 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was at the local bookstore the other day and perusing through the self-improvement/religious section for books on understanding the opposite sex. I found gazillion books on how to understand a man, read your man's mind, etc etc. I didnt find a single book written for men on understanding women. I always thought women were more complicated beings than men and men need most help understanding women. Any ideas as to why this is so?

P
P
The closest thing I have seen to a book like you describe is Dr. Laura's The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, (granted I have not read a lot of those kind of books through) but even though it is written to women, if a man reads it, he gets a real good look into the workings of women. I did, and now I have a better understanding of my W, not that I know what she is up to at all times, nor do I understand how she thinks completely. I think women are much more complicated than men, so much so that no one book can cover it all, and likely would not be accurate unless there were about 40 versions of it.

Phil
D
D
I've read a number of books in the self-help category. (At times I was a a bit of a self-help book junkie, if there is such a thing.) Analysis of "how women think & act", and "how men think & act" is actually buried in the pages of many of these, although you don't see it in the book title.

While reading these, I often did have the feeling that it helped me understand what's going on. In the long run I also discovered for myself that this kind of psychological analysis is also a trap.

Do you know the saying "When all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail?

After reading these books we start looking and finding the characteristics we read about, and we find it everywhere (everything starts looking like a nail). And it gets easy to overlook, the difference from one man to the next, from one woman to the nest, is as different as the the supposed difference between men and women per se.

Also, the various writers tend to follow basic common threads, and if you look at some of the older books, you get surprised to find the same ideas already written about 30 or 40 years earlier.

So ... if you just pick any of the books that happen to catch your attention you will find the information you are looking for, spread over different pages and different authors.

Good luck...

time to change the crazy one-sided no-fault divorce laws - ideas/opinions welcome
K
K
I have read one by Dr. James Dobson called "What wives wish thier husbands knew about women." Also Gary Smilley wrote one called, "If he only knew."

BS 8-06 WW 6-06 M 12-01 2 Kids 3 and 11 Months Plan A Never had the chance. Plan B Started 11-29-06
L
L
My Spouse is a Librarian.

She likes to read the self-help books. Gave me a number of them as well, I ignored them, big mistake!

But she will tell you that the self-help books go out to the Women. Men just talk to thier buddies. Needless to say, not much help there, cause the buddies do not have a clue.

T
T
Men will never understand women - that is just asking too much! LOL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation