Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
techie Offline OP
OP Offline
T
A question for FWW's out there; I'd like some insight into how best to respond to this issue.

My wife and I have done a few things together "with the kids", since she moved out. But when I've asked now and again for dinner together with just us, she has declined with, "that's a big step", and "I dont want to give you false hope".

Isn't "I dont want to give you false hope" saying the same thing as, "I've already decided that I dont want to ever be more than 'just friends' with you" ?
If not, what does it mean?

She kindasorta has said she is willing to see how things go between us... yet she puts up these barriers like this, which to me, seem to contradict that she's really willing.

Suggestions on how I can coax her to bring down the barriers?

ME: H, 35, married 9 years. 3 young sons W:32, series of online "friendships" 1st D-day: some time 2004 (online EA) OM broke off, NC june 2005, but no recovery plan 2nd D-day: june 20th, 2006("ILY" to "friend"). W moved out next day. Oct 2006, starts being around a 3rd guy instead. Mar 2007, stopped? Current status: Separated. W filed D. in July 2006, served Dec 11th, my response filed Jan 8th Most recent thread
N
N
It means she is withdrawn right now.

I said the SAME thing to my WS when he wanted more than I was willing to committ to.

In a way I think she IS reinforcing that withdrawl...I know I certainly was.

In my case it was because what he was doing to gain my interest in recovery was working...and that wasn't the direction I was going at the time...so I resisted.

I think it usually demonstrates conflict...or duplicity.

Maybe both.

N
N
techie, my W is withrdawn too and has erected barriers between us. Last night I whispered to her "I love you" and she said it back but she would not let me hug her. I'm back into super-H mode but her wall does not seem to be cracking at all. Each day I ask her how she's feeling and if there is anything I could do to help and she says "fine", "no nothing", etc...

This came on all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago. I'm baffled.

BH (me): 35 FWW: 34 Married 13 years 3 children, S9,S7,D4 3 DDays: EA June 05, EA May 06, PA Nov 06, NC 14 months, recovering
I
I
I think it means she is unsure of herself.

Keep doing what you are doing...I pray she comes around for you.

The good Lord gave you a body that can withstand most anything, it's your mind you have to convince.
Vince Lombardi
Me FWS 39 yrs old now 41
Husband BS 33 years old will be 35
Two great kids 21 and 19
Marriage 12 years Now 13 years will be 14 in October
Together for 17 years
D-Day 10-23-2006
Marriage Recovering
Keep us in your prayers
M
M
im in the same boat right now with my wife. When I was home for a couple weeks(im in the military and on a remote to Turkey), I could hug her and get a peck on the lips before we would go to bed. But I would sleep in a different bed. So, when I talked to her this past week, she said she cant say SHE LOVES ME right now...so, right now she is putting a wall up, but hopefully later she can say it loud and say it proud. I am just letting time work for us and praying every night. Hopefully she will come around and that our counseling will help as well....GOOD LUCK AND STAY IN TOUCH HERE

I
I
My WH just told me that a couple of weeks ago, and this week admitted he still cares and wants to maybe try to recover M but is afraid (he is thinking about it). I agree with everyone else that has posted. Maybe a little fear of hurting you again, of admitting their own feelings, of having to deal with reality. Maybe it is a self defense mechanism, if they let their guard down, they might just fall in love again! They are confused!!!

BW 35 (Me) WH 35 DS 11, DS 10, DD 10, DS 5, DS 3 Married 1994 Dday 7-9-06 Plan B started 12-24-06 Psalm 62:5 My soul wait only upon God and silently submit to Him; for my hope and expectation are from Him.
C
C
Being a guy, I am no expert but here goes.

Your WW as a female has a harder time convincing herself that she is screwing someone that she does not love. Ergo the OM is someone she loves(not). It also means that she can not then be in love with the person she is married to.

Zero sum game.

Divorced:
"Never shelter anyone from the realities of their decisions": Noodle

You believe easily what you hope for ernestly

Infidelity does not kill marriages, the lying does
A
A
You guys know don't you that the less you initiate R talks while in Plan A the better.

With prayers,

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
H
H
the OM is someone she loves(not). It also means that she can not then be in love with the person she is married to.

Cym, well summed up as usual.

Married 10 years, Legally Seperated Aug 2,2006
1 year of Plan A followed by 1 year of Plan B...
...now stepping towards recovery?????
BH 37(me), WW 35, DB 7 & DD 5
My Story
My struggle with an EA
P
P
You need to do the 180. Follow it and don't say you love her or show her affection.

The 180 is your answer.

Good luck.

BS-34
EXWW-27
DD-4
DS-Twin boys, 2
D-Day-28 Feb 06
Divorced-24 March 06 (no contest D)
Separated from Air Force - 30 Apr 06

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation