Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2080860 06/27/08 04:35 PM
S
suamico Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok so I know I am going to sound like an over protective mom but here goes. Our oldest son (who will be 15 in less than 2 weeks) just left this morning at 5:00am on a weekend retreat. I am so happy for him but I can't believe how much I miss him already! Believe it or not this is his first time going away with out us. He has done the friend's house sleep overs but not a trip. It is a great thing for him. He is in Georgia (10 hours away) with our church youth group. I will be picking him up at the church at 10:00pm on Sunday night. He is my "hugger" and he is always telling us he loves us and thanking us for what we do for him....NO Patches hugs for 2 days?!?!?! Looks like the other 3 will have to make up for it. Anyone else have any advice to keep me from checking my cell phone every 5 minutes just in case he called? confused

I know I will get through it and then when his brother goes with him next year I will be better prepared. Funny thing is for the past couple of years my family has been asking if we could fly him and his brother (13) and sister (12) up to MA for a week and it has been DH who has reservations. I always said "Oh, they will be fine we can handle it." Now DH is the one telling me it will be fine and it's only a weekend. What a whimp!

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
M
M
Oh I know what you are going through!

Mine did a few sleep overs but when they started going to youth group stuff it was hard! And school stuff. I worried about who was watching them, what were they allowed to do, did they brush their teeth.....you name it.

When he calls you (if he can?), you will hear what a good time he is having and it will ease your anxiety. He will be having so much fun you will be glad he went.

It is hard with that first one! They have to blaze the trail for the rest of the pack. My poor daughter, she had to put up with us learning with each of her new experiences. (She just recently told me that when her youngest brother goes to college this fall, he needs to have a decent car-something she didn't have when she went). The other two got to do more because we became more comfortable after she had done stuff.

Get this....I am having anxiety because my youngest will be leaving in August to go to college. Yep, empty nest. I am not so sure about that one yet!

I don't have any advice for not checking the cell phone. Just keep it with you and try to keep busy. He'll be just fine mom!

F
F
My son is 16 and as much as he drives me nuts by NOT coming out of his room...just knowing he's there is comforting! Trust that he's going to be ok and have fun. We're never really going to be ready for them to go to college, are we?
I see it done all the time, but I cannot imagine life without my little man! Keep busy and sniff his pillow...that's what I would do.

Me 44, H 42, DS 16, DS 13
H/EA 4/07, D Day 10/17/07..
500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
P
P
I haven't seen or spoken to my Stepson since Jan. 17, 2006.

I've forgotten what he looks like.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
S
suamico Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by fiori
My son is 16 and as much as he drives me nuts by NOT coming out of his room...just knowing he's there is comforting! Trust that he's going to be ok and have fun. We're never really going to be ready for them to go to college, are we?
I see it done all the time, but I cannot imagine life without my little man! Keep busy and sniff his pillow...that's what I would do.
COLLEGE!!!!!!!! Are you trying to give me a heart attack!
I know he is going to be just fine. I know the youth group leaders and they are all wonderful. They have a great way of teaching them about God but making it fun at the same time. They have never had a kid attend the retreat and not come back the next year. The kids in youth group are also a great bunch of kids. I will just give him extra hugs and kisses when he gets home.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
S
suamico Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Pariah
I haven't seen or spoken to my Stepson since Jan. 17, 2006.

I've forgotten what he looks like.
Oh I am so sorry you haven't seen him for so long. How old is he now? Is there any way you can get a picture through his family? I know how much my son has changed in the past year and I see it day by day. I couldn't imagine not seeing him for over 2 years. I really am sorry you are going through that. Maybe when he gets older he may try to reconnect with you.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
S
suamico Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by marriedandlonely*
When he calls you (if he can?), you will hear what a good time he is having and it will ease your anxiety. He will be having so much fun you will be glad he went.
He has the kid cell phone but they are not allowed to bring it to the convention center so it has to stay in his hotel room. I asked him to call me tonight when he got settled in for the evening. That should be around 10ish. I know he is having a great time and I am actually more just missing him than worried about him. I just figured that one out. He is my buddy and he is always asking me how I am and if there is anything he can do to help. He really is a great kid and deserves to have a great time. Funny thing is DH and were supposed to talk about how much $$ to send with him. All the food is included so he just needed $$ for fast food lunch on the way up and back plus any spending money for t-shirts or stuff like that. We packed tons of drinks and snacks in his carry-on bag for the way up and more in his suitcase for night time and the ride back. I was thinking maybe 50 bucks max. DH calls him in the room and hands him 75! He gave his dad a huge hug and thanked him over and over. Then we had a chat about what NOT to buy with the money like sodas out of a soda machine (he has some in his bags) or video games or lending it to a friend who ran out of money so he can buy a soda. Yes, we had to go into that kind of detail. Once he went to sea world with his school(day field trip, we live about 1.5 hours away) He had the option to change his one day pass to a year pass so we all could go together another time. We gave him and extra 20 to make sure he did that. We gave him 50 total so he could have lunch and dinner in the park. Well he comes home with no money left and didn’t even upgrade his ticket because he didn’t know who to ask. BUT that flightyness is a small price to pay when you have such a great kid overall.

Originally Posted by marriedandlonely*
Get this....I am having anxiety because my youngest will be leaving in August to go to college. Yep, empty nest. I am not so sure about that one yet!

I don't have any advice for not checking the cell phone. Just keep it with you and try to keep busy. He'll be just fine mom!
I had a little sadness when our 6 year old started kindergarten this year. She was the last one. I was also a bit sad that the oldest started High school. I have no idea how I will do when he heads off to college.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
F
F
The memories of my kiddies in my mind are amazing! But, thanks to modern technology, I have them burned on cd's, recorded & many other fun things. So, if it were allowed, I'd share my little man with you all on his youtube page. He's quite the charasmatic singer. God, I love those boys of mine!!

500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
S
suamico Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So, if it were allowed, I'd share my little man with you all on his youtube page. He's quite the charasmatic singer. God, I love those boys of mine!!
Oh I would love to see it. send me an e-mail through the website. Funny thing about the singing. I can't sing my way out of a paper bag but my husband's mom and her sisters are quite the singers. I can't say that I have heard DH in full vocal swing but I am sure he can sing. (side note he was MADE to sing and play card games all his childhood so he likes neither) All our kids are in chorus but none of them have sung a solo or will sing for me (sans the 6 year old who floored DH and I one time with something she was teaching me because she wanted to learn the notes) but everyone else (chorus teachers, drama teachers) say that they all sing wonderfully. My son I am talking about is a baritone and bass. This is the same little boy 2+ years ago that was almost a foot shorter, skinny and had a high voice. Now people think he is DH when he answers the phone. Actually I think his voice is deeper than DH! Isn't it nice we can brag about our kids!

Wow, gotta tell you I am so proud of our kids! Ok I'm done bragging.... for now.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
C
C
Last Wednesday, my daughter got home from 3 weeks in Germany. She left of Saturday to go to her dad's. On Sunday, she left for 2 weeks in Ohio. Son is with his dad down the road during that time. They will be home for a week then off to church camp. I don't know how they got to be teenagers so fast. They are 17 and 15. I know I can't be THAT old!!!

N
N
Originally Posted by cinderella
I know I can't be THAT old!!!

Cinders,

You are only as old as you feel..... wink.....today I feel 80.... laugh

not2fun

F
F
I'd need an email address...there is not one on your profile!

500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
A
A
suamico I know exactly how you feel.

My son left home at 17 to go to Royal Mil College ... it was so hard. You know..pretending you are so happy for him ...and only wanting to go and lock him in his room blush grin
Now he has just had his 20th & is serving in Afghanistan.

Mummy worries are like way up. And no there is no way to stop worrying ..... until they are home safe & sound. crazy laugh

Lots of cups of coffee and tea cool

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

F
F
Suamico,
Just go to his youtube account. This isn't private, so it's no big deal.
www.youtube.com/blahblop

It's listed as Griff singing Have You Ever Seen The Rain.

Have a great day. Tomorrow will be here sooner than you realize!

500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
M
M
My baby boy (18 yr old), is in at the relay for life event.
He signed up on his own, as it is not something I have ever even been to, gathered a team and started walking last night. He said he would probably come home last night but didn't, so I'm not sure what he ended up doing. I don't worry about this one, but I guess I better call him.

I went down to see him last night and walked a few laps. It was humbling!!!! OMG. To see so many names on the luminarias (sp?) that I know (we live in a very small town), it was just sad. To see so many walking and to wonder about their story. Wow.

I am proud of my son for getting involved.

F
F
Your son is not technically fighting for my country...but tell him I said "thanks" anyway. I so proud of the men and women who are sacrificing so others they don't even know are safe. You have a true hero.

500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
A
A
thanks fiori smile

I think so too ... as is my new son in law and my sweet H .. if it wasn't for my toddler and daughter and future DIL I'd be crazier than I am now ! crazy laugh

I wonder if I grounded the boys that they'd have to come home???

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

M
M
My 21 yr old son works on an oil rig. On his last shift he got to climb up the derrick (about 200 feet off the ground!) and was pretty excited about it.

I told him to tell his boss that his mom said he's not allowed to go up there any more!! cool And if they have any questions to just give me a call. grin

I'll bet that will work for you too AW! Even them big important boss type boys is scared of MOM! grin

A
A
I like your thinking !! lol cool laugh

M
M
Originally Posted by suamico
I will be picking him up at the church at 10:00pm on Sunday night.

Well "tonight's the night" suamico! I know you can't wait!

Originally Posted by suamico
He is in Georgia (10 hours away) with our church youth group.
Awww, see now I'm originally from Georgia-he was in a good place with good folks! grin I'm sure he had a blast, even if he did miss his mama! wink

Our dd8 BEGGED us to let her go to "sleep away camp" this year...It's a Christian camp that we heard about through our church...we've also heard glowing reviews about it from several people and the camp does offer a program for her age group, so we agreed...Unbelievably she was adamant about doing the 6 day camp, rather than the 3 day one...She's always been very independent, but SIX DAYS? Hmmm...I dunno...Nonetheless, it's done now...papers signed, money's been sent, supplies bought...she is counting the days in jubilant anticipation...I'm sure it will be quite an experience for us all...

Mr. W and I are using the time to take a vacation nearby alone...

Griff singing Have You Ever Seen The Rain

Fiori,

Hope you don't mind, but I clicked the link and listened to your son sing...WOW...He's fabulous!!! I know you are so proud...Thank you for sharing that! smile

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation