Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2105171 08/06/08 03:10 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm full of 'em today, aren't I?? grin

This may have a PAINFULLY obvious answer to the rest of you, so forgive my stupidity if that's the case. I guess the gears haven't fully engaged yet from the shock of it all.

Among everything else - having full access to all accounts, all passwords, both of us being 100% transparent, POJA, etc. I also installed keylogging software - he doesn't know this. I haven't given him access to my individual savings account, because that's how I bought the software - and it shows a PayPal purchase. I'm also feeling a little conflicted about having the keylogging software without him knowing - but it's really helped me keep an eye on him and even see him coming here to MB without any prodding from me, to read up on "How To Meet Emotional Needs."

So if I give him access to my savings, he'll see the Paypal purchase and ask me about it. But by not giving him access (he hasn't even asked for it), I kind of feel like I'm not adhering to the POJA. What's the right answer to this?

Me(bw/fww) 39
recovering with amazing fwh/bh 36
DS 7
DS 4

His
EA Oct '07 - 7/2/08 (d-day)
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

I
iam Offline
I
Whatever keeps you sanest. POJA has nothing to do with keeping your eyes opened for future contact. You deserve to sleep better with a keylogger in place.

iam #2105179 08/06/08 03:16 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Whoops, I guess that isn't POJA....told you the gears hadn't engaged yet, lol.

I hear what you're saying though.

Me(bw/fww) 39
DS 7
DS 4

His
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

M
M
Originally Posted by broken_soul
So if I give him access to my savings, he'll see the Paypal purchase and ask me about it. But by not giving him access (he hasn't even asked for it), I kind of feel like I'm not adhering to the POJA. What's the right answer to this?

Radical honesty is for RECOVERY when you both trust each other, not when it is NOT SAFE to trust. You can't be radically honest with someone you don't trust, who has proven he will HARM you in secret.

FOR NOW, keep protecting yourself and keep focused on snooping so he can EARN your trust again. [snooping is a great trust builder] Once he earns your trust, you can feel safe and let your guard down. But don't forfeit your protective measures until you are sure it is SAFE.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
In other words, don't surrender your arms until you are SURE the war is over.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you. I guess I was just feeling unsure. For some dumb reason I feel a little guilty snooping on him. I know, I know...don't throw stuff at me laugh ....he has absolutely proven to be untrustworthy and has earned this, and he's not fighting it in the least. Having something to measure against what he says has been nice.

Me(bw/fww) 39
DS 7
DS 4

His
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

M
M
You feel guilty about protecting yourself and your children from someone who has harmed you?? Where can I throw my TOMATER??? grin

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
You feel guilty about protecting yourself and your children from someone who has harmed you?? Where can I throw my TOMATER??? grin

LOL!! I told you it didn't make any sense! I can't explain why I feel that way. I guess I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because he was dishonest (or at the very least, only partially honest) for much of our marriage and I feel like I'm doing the same thing.

Ok, ok....bring it. ~squinting eyes~

Me(bw/fww) 39
DS 7
DS 4

His
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

M
M
Also, I don't believe you feel GUILT about snooping, but SADNESS, which is understandable. Guilt is a signal from our conscience that we are doing something WRONG. There is nothing wrong with snooping, though. [altho some ppl have been brainwashed into believing snooping is bad, just as some have been brainwashed into believing anger is bad]

Rather, I suspect you feel SADNESS that you have to have this secret at a time when you CRAVE intimacy and closeness. You feel SAD that you have to do this in order to protect yourself. That is understandable.

But, when you think about it logically you will see that snooping serves to protect your marriage from adultery so that you can ultimately build the intimacy you need. It also helps you learn to trust him. When you are able to see for yourself that he is behaving trustworthily when no one is looking, it will help your trust grow in leaps and bounds.

Exposure 101

I
iam Offline
I

LOL!! I told you it didn't make any sense! I can't explain why I feel that way. I guess I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because he was dishonest (or at the very least, only partially honest) for much of our marriage and I feel like I'm doing the same thing.

It's not at all uncommon for someone who has always been trusting to feel guilty about snooping a bit. When you feel guilty just remind yourself this is necessary because you were betrayed.

M
M

ok, so you feel that CATCHING SOMEONE CHEATING is the moral equivalence of CHEATING? crazy

Do you believe the POLICE are being DISHONEST when they spy on drug dealers?

Exposure 101

M
M
It is INAPPROPRIATE GUILT to believe it is wrong to CATCH someone cheating.

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
Also, I don't believe you feel GUILT about snooping, but SADNESS, which is understandable. Guilt is a signal from our conscience that we are doing something WRONG. There is nothing wrong with snooping, though. [altho some ppl have been brainwashed into believing snooping is bad, just as some have been brainwashed into believing anger is bad]

Rather, I suspect you feel SADNESS that you have to have this secret at a time when you CRAVE intimacy and closeness. You feel SAD that you have to do this in order to protect yourself. That is understandable.

But, when you think about it logically you will see that snooping serves to protect your marriage from adultery so that you can ultimately build the intimacy you need. It also helps you learn to trust him. When you are able to see for yourself that he is behaving trustworthily when no one is looking, it will help your trust grow in leaps and bounds.

Yes, you're right. I am VERY sad that I feel the need to do this. I hate this. I wish I hadn't contributed to the mess our marriage became. I wish he didn't make the choice he made. I wish I'd had better skills to develop the marriage I want and need instead of guessing (wrongly) at how to do it. And I am sad beyond belief that all of this has happened.

I'm also grateful for the lesson....and at times, I'm also grateful for the pain. If there wasn't pain involved in this lesson, it would be far too easy to dismiss it. There's no way I could forget this one.

No, I don't at all feel that it's morally wrong to catch someone cheating. Not in the least.

Last edited by broken_soul; 08/06/08 03:45 PM.

Me(bw/fww) 39
DS 7
DS 4

His
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

iam #2105212 08/06/08 03:46 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by iam

It's not at all uncommon for someone who has always been trusting to feel guilty about snooping a bit. When you feel guilty just remind yourself this is necessary because you were betrayed.

Thanks. I'll do that.

Me(bw/fww) 39
DS 7
DS 4

His
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation