Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
One of my wife's top five EN's is an attractive spouse. She specifically mentioned my yoyo dieting really turns her off. So basically I was wondering if there was anyone out there who wanted to or was in the process of loosing some weight and wanted to do daily journal posts about how the weight loss was going? I figure this is at least one way I can keep myself honest about exercise and weight loss! I like this board so much I'd rather post it here than on www.biggestloser.com or someplace else. smile

I woke up this morning at 197 pounds on my scale. That's down from 210 four weeks ago so I think I'm doing ok so far...;) I'm 5'8" though so 197 is still crazy heavy. I'd love to get down to my boot camp weight of 168. For kicks, I'll aim for 165 so that's a goal of dropping 32 pounds from where I'm at now.

Anyone interested?

TC

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
K
K
Hi there!

I am not on MB that much anymore, so I won't volunteer to check in daily (although I am working pretty hard on exercising daily...I use stars on my calendar--sounds like kindergarten, I know, but I like to see those stars line up!).

Anyway, I did want to congratulate you on your loss so far, and your commitment...that's terrific. I wish my DH would do the same...maybe sometime soon!

Anyway, good job...keep it up!

Kathi

T
OP Offline
T
Good idea on the calendar, I may have to try that. Anything to get me motivated! smile

The weight loss for me isn't as huge a deal as it could be because I used to wrestle in HS and can cut weight pretty quickly. Although I will admit it's harder now than it was years ago. It's keeping it off that always was and continues to be a challenge. I'm just going to have to work harder at it I suppose. smile

Anyway, for today, I'm down another pound to 196. Hopefully it keeps coming off!

TC

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
S
S
One thing you can do is just cut out anything white - flour, sugar, pasta, potatoes, breads, rice etc. Drink a glass of water before each meal, and walk or get some sort of exercise each day.

It's Southbeach, basically.

Eggs and bacon for breakfast or
1 slice of 100% whole grain toast with peanut butter, and a cup of 1% or skim. (The bread is really phase 2)

A&W diet root beer - you'd never know it's diet.

Almonds are highly recommended. One of the 'perfect' foods. Fifteen nuts a day as a snack. String cheese - one a day. Sugar free jello. Low fat fudge sickles.

No caffeine - Caffeine makes you crave carbs. Make yourself decaf tea (hot or cold) and put Splenda with it if you like it sweet.

98% fat free Hillshire farms thinly sliced deli meats in the tubs... roll those up and cut up and put on a salad along with 2 hard boiled eggs cut up, with dressing. Shredded low fat mozzarella on top,then dressing...Makes a good lunch or supper. Or use left over grilled chicken of beef instead of the deli meats.

Hamburger on the grill with slice of low fat cheese, bacon, lettuce, red onion, mushrooms, salsa. No bun and no ketsup, but another vegetable or maybe a side of chili.

V8 heated up in a mug instead of tomato soup. A little bit bitter, but you do get used to it, and if you still hate it, add a bit of splenda. A little grated low fat cheese on top. Makes a nice snack or part of a lunch.

You can also use lettuce leaves instead of bread. Roll up deli meat inside the lettuce for a snack.

Celery and peanut butter or humus makes a good snack. I've even had that for breakfast, and it's an alternative to the eggs.

Chili - that makes an excellent source of protein and is great for lunch or supper - maybe some low fat cheese on top. No bread or crackers though.

Last edited by Soolee; 09/14/08 06:56 PM.

Sooly

"Stop yappin and make it happen."
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Me 47
DH 46
Together for 28 years.
Married 21 years.
G
G
I'm trying to drop.

But, for me, I eat. To keep it off I gotta move, exercise.

You can loose all you want, with no musle building exercises, you wouldn't look ANYWHERE NEAR as good and you simply can't eat as much.

BEST ALL AROUND WORKOUT EVER, BAR NONE?

p90X

The workout is great, the eating plan is designed to get really cut. If an 8% bodyfat is NOT your thing (and it probably isn't too many peoples) you can loosen up and still lose a ton of weight, get cut, get muscular and ITS NO HYPE.

It varies enough to keep it interesting and the ACTUAL WORKOUT is less than an hour 6 times a week.

As I get older, my body can't take the hard weight training anymore or the 5 plus mile runs. This workout is, so far, an excellent substitute.

PS. My wife, the epitome of self disciple LOATHES the fact that I yo you up and down also. I've explained, to deaf ears, that UNLIKE HERE, I eat. My weight goes down because of WORKING OUT. When I injure myself and miss, my weight goes up. She simple watches EVERYTHING she eats. 5'2" 101 lbs. If she gains 3 lbs, she diets until it goes down. Her self control is amazing. Another reason why I'm nuts about her, I guess.

PSS 13 lbs in four weeks? ANy exercise? If not, that a lot of weight for only 4 weeks!

Last edited by gabagool; 09/14/08 07:17 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
I've modified my diet pretty heavily. Definitely not eating white grains although I still eat brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread, etc. I've done the low carb type thing before and it just doesn't work for me. Mainly I'm just trying to eat light, eat sensible and stay away from things that kick in cravings like high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, etc. I drink SOOOO much water! smile

IRT exercise, I do, although not as much as I should. A quick run twice a week is about it for me thus far. I'm going to fix that this week, more out of necessity than motivation. I have to weigh in for work at the beginning or mid October and I need to drop another ten pounds (186lbs weight limit) to get within regs. Normally I cut water like in the wrestling days but my wife hates that and besides, it's really not good for me regardless of how easy or not it is. It's not easy BTW, it's really painful; wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Anyway, I've heard of p90x and it seems like a pretty good program. Can't afford it right now but maybe I'll give it a try when the wife comes back home in Oct. I've also tried Crossfit in the past with pretty good results. It was REALLY hard though; definitely a major stressor on your body.

I know 13/14 pounds in four weeks is a little fast but I do need to get down pretty quick and the separation diet certainly helped. Besides, it's only a little quicker than the 2.5 pound recommendation per week. smile Well tomorrow's another day and I plan on spending some time in the gym. Should be fun! smile

TC

Last edited by tccoastguard; 09/14/08 07:38 PM.

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
T
OP Offline
T
Down another half pound this morning to 195.5 lbs.

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
T
OP Offline
T
Down another pound and a half this morning to 194. Little quick but I can't complain about the results. smile I locked myself out of my house yesterday so I had to walk 3 miles total to and from my high school senior's school to pick up his key and let myself back in. That and I worked out before! Lots of exercise I guess. lol.

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
K
K
What are you doing in the gym? Do you know how many kcals you're consuming?

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
OP Offline
T
Not really. I'm kind of all over the place to be honest. Some days I run, varying distances, some days I'm on the elliptical machine. Maybe I'll lift tomorrow, who knows? Lol.

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
T
OP Offline
T
193 this morning. smile

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
S
S
Congratulations!!!hurray

Yanno...I run and train..every day. Have for YEARS...nothing feels better than a run.

It's a great habit...and leaves for lots of TIME to THINK.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks! I have to tell you, I'm feeling REALLY great about myself today. I don't know exactly what it is but the job didn't annoy me today, my workout went well and I just plain feel more alive today. Maybe there's something to this whole losing weight and getting in shape thing... wink I feel GOOD.

I do have to keep the running down a bit because I really beat the snot out of my knees due to the years of martial arts training on steel girder floors. All the jumping and landing on that surface wrecked the joints relatively quickly. frown Oh well, choices, choices I suppose. smile

Thanks again for the encouragement!

TC

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
T
OP Offline
T
193 again this morning. Can't go down every day I guess. smile

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
S
S
Muscle weighs more than Fat.

Never trust a scale....wreaks havoc on your senses.

Rather...an old pair of jeans that haven't fit for a while.

ALSO...jump up and down [ once is generally more than enough..LOL] Nekkid in front of a mirror...what ever jiggles....gotz to GO!!!!

Ladies have two locations of leniency...only "because."

S
S
Originally Posted by tccoastguard
Not really. I'm kind of all over the place to be honest. Some days I run, varying distances, some days I'm on the elliptical machine. Maybe I'll lift tomorrow, who knows? Lol.
I just saw your post and wanted to chime in.
What you are doing is actually good. You are supposed to change up your routine so your body doesn't know what to expect next. I gained 30-40 lbs in a span of about 4-6 months. My husband lost his job in 7/04 and I gained about 10 lbs in about a year. Then in 7/05 (a year of contract jobs here and there with only him working) He got a job 1400 miles away. That is when i gained the 30+ pounds. That is a lot of weight but in my case it was really alot on my small 5' frame. I was about 112 for years, then by the time we moved I was about 122. At my heaviest I was over over 150. (ARGH, makes me sad to think about that) So we moved back 7/06 and after a couple of months of settling in I dropped 19 in just a month. I was then in the high 130's. I started running and kept it up for about 6 months and SLOWLY lost a # here and there. Then I got out of the exersising habit for about a year. Then I joined a womans boot camp in May. We meet at 5:45AM M/W/F and work out for 45 minutes. Our leaders change it up every day. I just broke the 120 mark today! My goal is to get back down to 112 then take it from there. Before the kids I was a steady 105 but I don't know if that is possible so for now I will just keep the 112 goal.

Good luck with your weight loss!

BTW, I saw you have problems with your knees when you run. Have you tried power walking? It will still get your heart rate up but is better on your knees.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
S
S
Originally Posted by SoulDragoN
Muscle weighs more than Fat.

Never trust a scale....wreaks havoc on your senses.

Rather...an old pair of jeans that haven't fit for a while.
I agree, the weight is coming off slowly but my jeans are practically falling off me!

Ladies have two locations of leniency...only "because."
I am almost afraid to ask but....what does this mean?

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
S
S
"Chesticles".... wink

S
S
"Chesticles".... wink
LOL!!!!!!!!
I have tears coming down my face I am laughing so hard. I have to use that term with DH.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation