Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Laziness after marriage is a huge problem for couples who lived together before marriage. The commitment of marriage does not make them more willing to meet each other's needs, it makes them less willing, because they figure that the other person is now committed. But the high rate of divorce in these relationships proves that the commitment of marriage really doesn't mean much when emotional needs are no longer met. A high percentage of these marriages don't last through the first year.

A Harley quote from the site.

Living together before marriage DECREASES the willingness to meet each others ENs after marriage.

It's the old "renter" problem -

"renter" was good enough to live together before marriage - and therefore "renter" doesn't change to "buyer" after marriage .... the ship usually sinks for lack of commitment by either person to maintain seaworthiness.

Interesting.

Pep

P
OP Offline
P
Link to thread discussing Buyers Renters Freeloaders ( a book found in the bookstore of this site recently re-titled The One)

To understand the renter agreement read this

link to the bookstore

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 08/16/08 02:57 PM.
F
F
Very interesting post and thank you for links.

First ex, we lived together (dumb!!!) and I married him even though there were serious control issues and nastiness cloaked in soft tones.

Second ex pretended to be a Christian, have integrity, etc. and switched a year into the marriage, or rather I discovered the lies that far into the marriage. We didn't live together beforehand.

So I found two freeloaders who almost made it to renter status but neither wanted to move to the next level. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to ever date again but certainly not while I still have children living at home.

FS

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 788 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation