Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
Iraq had large stockpiles of chemical weapons and a large scale biological weapons program,

Notice the useage of the verb HAD?

And you said earlier:

NO WHERE in this law did it give as a reason for going to war the reason that Iraq had large stockpiles of modern WMD.As you can see, your assertion that the authorization bill did not mention that Iraq HAD large stockpiles of WMD is wrong.

Notice your usage of the verb HAD?

AGG

LOL

That's right I did say, the Authorization did not say Iraq had (as in had back in 2002, had) large stockpiles of MODERN WMD.

But, it DID say Iraq had (as in before 2002 had) large stockpiles of chemical weapons and a large scale biological weapons program.

M
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71
The bottom line is that there was no good reason to go into Iraq, and the blood of every US troop who has been injured or killed is on the hands of every politician who supported this war, especially the President.

I have no problem w/ folks who disagreed w/ the decision to go to war. What I do have a problem w/ is the lies and distortions that keep being repeated about President Bush and the reasons we agreed and (signed into law) to go to war.

A
A
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
Iraq had large stockpiles of chemical weapons and a large scale biological weapons program,

Notice the useage of the verb HAD?

And you said earlier:

NO WHERE in this law did it give as a reason for going to war the reason that Iraq had large stockpiles of modern WMD.As you can see, your assertion that the authorization bill did not mention that Iraq HAD large stockpiles of WMD is wrong.

Notice your usage of the verb HAD?

AGG

LOL

That's right I did say, the Authorization did not say Iraq had (as in had back in 2002, had) large stockpiles of MODERN WMD.

But, it DID say Iraq had (as in before 2002 had) large stockpiles of chemical weapons and a large scale biological weapons program.

LMAO, I am not going to play these wiggle games. First it's "have not had", now that I showed you that you did in fact say "had", you are starting up with the "chemical weapons are not WMD" nonsense. Next I'll expect "it depends on what "is" is"...

Read the report, it makes it quite clear that Bush did his best to distort facts and include only those bits of information that supported his long preconceived desire to have Hussein gone. The fact that Congress bought his arguments just shows that they are idiots as well, but does not let Bush off the hook.

AGG

M
M
LMAO, I am not going to play these wiggle games.

Marsh is not playing games...she is pointing out the proper tense of the helping verbs.

W
W
I couldn't care less about the tense of the helping verbs. What concerns me is the duplicitous nature of the case President Bush made to take our country to war. If you're going to declare war and commit our troops and resources, you're intelligence better be concrete fact and not the hearsay that was used.

I supported President Bush right up until he started this war. I thought he did a very good job of handling 9/11 and the war against Al-qaeda, but there is no excuse for the way he handled Iraq. He was wrong then and he's still wrong today.

Want2Stay

A
A
Originally Posted by medc
she is pointing out the proper tense of the helping verbs.

And she ended up being wrong on that, since she used the same tense as what was disproven by the report.

So she is now trying to reframe the discussion into "chemical weapons are not modern WMD", which has nothing to do with her original (and wrong) statement.

AGG

M
M
Marsh is not playing games...she is pointing out the proper tense of the helping verbs.

Thanks MEDC.

I didn't think that AGG would respond well to the facts.

I figured he'd rather hold onto his "impressions".

Bush Derangement Syndrome is a nasty condition to have.

M
M
Want2,

It is unfortunate that we can't have perfect intelligence.

So have to work w/ what we have.

But, I'm grateful that all of the reasons listed in the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq, turned out to be supported by our pre-war and post-war intelligence.

A
A
I'm grateful that all of the reasons listed in the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq, turned out to be supported by our pre-war and post-war intelligence.

You can keep telling yourself this if it helps you sleep at night, but the facts are otherwise:

Whereas Iraq both poses a continuing threat to the national security
of the United States and international peace and security in
the Persian Gulf region and remains in material and unacceptable
breach of its international obligations by, among other things,
continuing to possess and develop a significant chemical and
biological weapons capability, actively seeking a nuclear weapons
capability, and supporting and harboring terrorist organizations
;

FALSE. (note the tense of "continuing" is present, not past :RollieEyes:)

Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing responsibility
for attacks on the United States, its citizens, and interests,
including the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, are
known to be in Iraq
;

FALSE.

Whereas Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international terrorist
organizations
, including organizations that threaten the
lives and safety of United States citizens

FALSE.

AGG

M
M
AGG...you are mistaken about some of your points...and likely all of them.

Hussein did aid and harbor known terrorists. Do a web search for Hussein and suicide bomber payments. That is not only aid...it is conspiracy to commit murder via terrorism. This alone is a reason to go to war.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/03/world/main505316.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/03/world/main505316.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2846365.stm

If Hussein had lived up to his post Kuwait obligations, inspectors would have been able to determine his the true situation on the ground. As it is, he didn't, and therefore any mistakes in intelligence fall solely on his shoulders. A man willing to pay for suicide bombings cannot be allowed to thumb his nose at inspectors. He already proved his desire to kill innocents.

As for Al Qaeda in Iraq, while no evidence exists of actual training sites in Iraq the 9/11 commission has documented that meetings between Bin Laden and Iraqi officials did in fact take place...and that later on Iraq actually sought out furthered relations with this organization. (see 9/11 Commission Report).
http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf

http://www.husseinandterror.com/

A
A
I am not arguing that Hussein was not a bad guy. Having seen PLO terrorism first hand, I don't need to be educated on how bad terror is.

But the world is full of bad guys, leaders who pursue nuclear weapons, terrorize and murder their own people, and cause mischief around the world. We may not like it, we may try to isolate them, but we do not go around overthrowing all those regimes.

No need to go on that tangent, since we agree that Hussein was a bad guy.

Marsh's argument that "all of the reasons listed in the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq, turned out to be supported by our pre-war and post-war intelligence", however, remains wrong.

At the time of the Authorization, and of Powell talking to the UN about Hussein's "mobile biological labs", Hussein neither had chemical weapons stockpiles, nor was developing nuclear or biological weapons.

AGG

M
M
Hussein neither had chemical weapons stockpiles, nor was developing nuclear or biological weapons.

and IF he had allowed inspections, we would not have had to rely on intelligence that turned out to be less than perfect.

A
A
Hussein neither had chemical weapons stockpiles, nor was developing nuclear or biological weapons.

and IF he had allowed inspections, we would not have had to rely on intelligence that turned out to be less than perfect.

True, but I see no point in IF games.

IF Bush had listened to opposing points of view, he would have known that Curveball was a phony.

IF Cheney had listened to opposing points of view, he would have known that aluminum tubes were not for nukes.

Instead, we got CIA agents exposed because their husbands dared to speak out against the false Niger claims.

AGG

M
M
capability, and supporting and harboring terrorist organizations;

Capabilities and potential capabilities are mentioned, but not WMD or even WMD programs.

From the Duelfer Report:

[Saddam] wanted to end sanctions while preserving the capability to reconstitute his weapons of mass destruction when sanctions were lifted.
LINK

Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing responsibility
for attacks on the United States, its citizens, and interests,
including the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, are
known to be in Iraq

Whereas Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international terrorist
organizations, including organizations that threaten the
lives and safety of United States citizens

From a Senate Intelligence Committee's report:

"[Pre-war administration] statements that Iraq provided safe haven for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and other al-Qa'ida-related terrorist members were substantiated by the intelligence assessments. Intelligence assessments noted Zarqawi's presence in Iraq and his ability to travel and operate within the country.
"Postwar information supports prewar assessments and statements that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was in Baghdad and that al-Qa'ida was present in northern Iraq."

LINK

From the democrat-controlled Senate committee:

"One of the reported contacts [between Iraq and al-Qa'ida before the war] has been confirmed, and two other meetings have since been identified."
LINK

Judge Harold Baer ruled in Federal court that Iraq was partially responsible for the September 11 attacks:

"that Iraq provided material support to bin Laden and al Qaeda.... Iraq collaborated in or supported bin Laden/al Qaeda's terrorist acts of September 11... Iraq provided materiel support to al Qaeda and that it did so with knowledge and intent to further al Qaeda's criminal acts."

LINK

M
M
AGG...you are mistaken about some of your points...and likely all of them.

Yep

M
M
At the time of the Authorization, and of Powell talking to the UN about Hussein's "mobile biological labs", Hussein neither had chemical weapons stockpiles, nor was developing nuclear or biological weapons.

The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq was already signed into law when Powell delivered that speech to the UN.

There was no clause in the Authorization that stated Hussein had "mobile biological labs".

A
A
capability, and supporting and harboring terrorist organizations;

Capabilities and potential capabilities are mentioned, but not WMD or even WMD programs.

Iraq was not seeking nuclear capability.

Anyway, I am done playing the wiggle games Marsh. You keep trying to change your point, I am not interested in following your circuitous path.

Iraq no WMDs, nor nuclear capability or pursuit thereof. Iraq had no Al Queda (one or two sympathizers does not count, we have that many in this country) until we invaded. Those are the facts. If you want to ignore them, fine.

I believe that had we focused on the real enemy (Bin Ladin) and Afghanistan, we would have had him in custody or dead by now. But Bush's vendetta got in the way, and thousands of people died. IMO, that is too bad and was not worth the price. But we can agree to disagree.

AGG

M
M
At the time of the Authorization, and of Powell talking to the UN about Hussein's "mobile biological labs"

The democrat controlled Senate Committee on Intelligence found:

"Statements ... regarding Iraq's possession of biological agents, weapons, production capability, and use of mobile biological laboratories were substantiated by intelligence information."

M
M
The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq was not just hastily put together. It was carefully crafted... Every verb carefully chosen. And signed into law.

All of the clauses were supported by pre-war and post-war intelligence, all of which, could even stand up against clever retorts like,"That doesn't count."

LOL

But we can agree to disagree.

I'm good w/ that.

T
T
Marshmallow

Mr. NELSON of Florida signed his name to the Public Law 107-243, for the clauses it stated. Not for the ones it did not state.

EVERY single clause/reason that was included in it was supported by both pre-war and post-war intelligence.

Coming back a year later (a presidential election year) and claiming the reasons he voted for the war had nothing to do w/ the stated clauses in the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq/Public Law 107-243, is laughable.

If it were true,(and I don't believe it is) he should have resigned. He had an obligation to the voters in the state of Florida and if he didn't think the reasons given for going to war were good enough, he should not have voted/signed his name to it.

I agree..If it were true he should resign, and should not have sought re-election. But he didn't resign and he did seek re-election..

Simul Justus Et Peccator
“Righteous and at the same time a sinner.”
(Martin Luther)
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 685 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation