Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Disclaimer:

I am a koolaid drinking fan of Dr. Harley's methods. I love MB and on a personal level, MB saved ME. Additionally, this is only MY OPINION.

The reason I say "nearly" impossible is because I have seen some marriages recover from an affair involving an OC. We have some members here that are both the BS and WS with recovered marriages. Some marriages with contact and some without. I do believe that these marriages were strong to begin with and easier to recover. Then there are those like mine who are not in true "recovery" and are limping along.

An OC, especially when it is the WH with the OC, bring a dimension to the affair that most betrayed spouses cannot begin to fathom. The OC is often used as bait or a weapon agains the WH. Because we women want to give our children a "family", the OC gives the OW even more incentive to "win" the WH from the BW. The WH often suffers from guilt for "abandoning" the pregnant OW, after all we do teach our son's to be responsible don't we? I have seen over and over OW's that used the pregnancy to their advantage. Funny how this same tactic doesn't work when the BW is pregnant during the affair. sigh

After the OC is born, there is the typical "how can you abandon your child" cries. Some men, like my H, fall for that. In my case OW went so far as to befriend my MIL/SIL during the pregnancy. Too bad my COM lost WH's family to OC. Actually that loss is the WH's families, obviously my COM have no lost much. :RollieEyes:

And so begins the tug of war between the BW/COM and the OW/OC with the WH trying to "please" everyone (read himself) while refusing to do DNA, legally get visitation or truly go NC with the OC and commit to his existing family.

More to come later. Comments welcome.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
OP Offline
F
To continue there are several "extra" factors in dealing with an A that resulted in an OC. One is the constant reminder of the A in the form of the OC. Even when NC is in place, the BW has to live with knowing her H's DNA is out there in the form of a child. The family finances are affected by having to pay child support, life insurance on the WH for the OC, medical insurance, constant court costs when the OW keeps taking the FWH back to court etc. Added pain for the BW when the OC is the "first" child of the FWH. If he attended the birth of the OC, those "firsts" got shared with someone else instead of the BW.

My WH attended the OC birth. His misguided notion that somehow he could "control" the outcome by being there. He signed child support and "custody" (what a joke) papers without telling me. Never thinking that everything he does affects me and our COM.

Recovery is difficult when a wayward tries to balance "two families". My WH will tell you he only has one family, ours. But OW would tell you a different story. He gives her juuuust enough attention via phone calls and brief visits with OC to let her believe this.

Recovery from an A involving an OC with a person that already has weak boundaries is painfully impossible. Until the wayward learns to have boundaries, the betrayed spouse must protect themselves.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
OP Offline
F
Recovery is even more difficult when you factor in the guilt the BW feels about the OC if they decide on NC. It is also very difficult to take your focus off the OP when an OC is involved. If you have C, then the OP is constantly a presence in the M. If you are NC, you still have this pain you carry around knowing your H had a child with someone else and knowing OC is without a father.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
L
L
I'm not religious but if I was i'd be giving you an 'AMEN to that' X

F
F
((((Faithy))))),

This just barely begins to touch on it. As you know we are NC. Yes there is guilt for me because of it. Guilt I don't deserve because I didn't do anything wrong. But that guilt is balanced by the good done for my COM. And your absolutely right, even with NC, and lately the OW has been following the rules and been NC with us, even with the NC, she is present in my life every day. She intrudes into my thoughts. She also intrudes into my FWH, not because he wants anything from her, but with guilt and remorse that is carried everyday, knowing that he is responsible for the destruction caused in so many lives because of his actions, even more so her actions. We both have nightmares that we wake up from, his worst ones are me leaving and being with someone else and not caring about him. Even as we continue to move forward and are slowly healing, it effects us. The CS is outrageous and with today's economy, the effect on our family daily is there. How do I pay the bills this month? and he knows how much easier it would be for us if half of what he brought home wasn't going to CS. God forbid she want more right now.......

I know that things are getting better for us only because of NC. I know that there are Angels out there that have C and are a boon to the OC, but, I can't imagine the ongoing pain, mistrust, of having to know that C exists. Having that OP daily physically present in our M, disrupting and continuing to try and destroy, heedless of the damage caused to the BS or the COM, concerned only about theirself and their OC.

I hope that you are working your way to a place where things can improve, not just living with the status quo, if it doesn't meet your expectations.

(I'll check back later may be a few days, visiting my parents for the weekend)

Fled

Me BS
D Day 4-2-2005
OC born 12-2004
DS 21, DS 12
Married 1993

May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays.

Recovering....it's a long road, even with a dedicated FWH
F
OP Offline
F
You are such a blessing FTS!

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
D
D
Originally Posted by faithful follower
You are such a blessing FTS!

So are you Faithy.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about you and yours.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
P
P
faith i rarely roll this way but you certainly deserve this

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[FF]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] times infinety and beyond

not that it matters from the likes of me. some strange, opinionated male on the other end of cyber space.

i have been watching for this thread of yours for some time. my thinking was it would be so easy to just jump right in with my typical blah blah btdt answers. turns out to be more difficult then i thought

it is so sad to see someone like you who has worked so hard and helped so many to be struggling with this unending problem

sitting on the other side of the fence from you as a h raising his w's oc i have similar problems, only different.

i think fh and i are doing pretty well but also see where many times we are just "limping" along also. maybe it is complacency (?) or just being tired of the constant battle that allows us to plod on that way. maybe it's spme fear of something or lack of being able to see a different future then what our past has shown us.

it is at those times when things slip back into my mind.

i do not attribute them to my w's A tho. what i attribute them to is her lack of fulfilling/meeting my biggest en's.

is your h "really" meeting all your en's? and is he meeting them in a way that YOU need them met? not as he feels they should be.

Last edited by pops; 01/18/09 08:28 AM.

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
F
OP Offline
F
is your h "really" meeting all your en's? and is he meeting them in a way that YOU need them met? not as he feels they should be.
Hey pops! In many ways he is a far better H and father than he has ever been. He is fully HERE when home. He helps with the kids. He cooks, does home repairs, cares what our home looks like and when I feel ill he takes care of me. Does he meet my EN's the way I need him to? Not really. One of my top EN's is openness and honesty. He can't meet that and still have secrets. Financial Support and Domestic support he meets well. He is incredibly good with money and has done a great job with what we have. I could use some romance but he has never been that guy, so I don't expect that to change. He does LISTEN to me though which is a huge change.

I think we limp along because the elephant is always in the room with us.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
B
B
FF - I agree with you in some ways. It is better that any contact with the OC be driven by the BS.

I made the mistake of letting the OW have too much say in our relationship. We paid CS, for food, dental bills, medical bills, costs for the OW moving from house to house. It was a neverending money pit.

One time, OW had no money and we sent her $1,000. She bought a pony. YIKES!!!!

However, after 20 years, my sons and OC have hooked up. She is still in our life. And many of her fondest memories involve us - her family.

F
OP Offline
F
B, thanks for your input. I would lay bets your M would have been better off without so much involvement of the OW. I am so happy that as adults your kids have an R with the OC.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
B
B
You are exactly right, FF. Dealing with a woman who didn't care about the OC, but only getting back into the affair was hard.

Our marriage ended because of his alcoholism, nothing to do with the OC or her mom.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would have split with WH, and that would have been that.

F
F
FF,

Is he willing to discuss the secret visits at all. Does he keep them secret because of your reaction to the visit with the OC, or because of your reaction to the OW's presence? Or, is it solely because he isn't doing what he is supposed to be in regards to protecting the M with her again? Can it be discussed in a way that communication about visitation can take place calmly? Does his secret visits with OC take him away from time you feel he should be spending somewhere else, With you, your COM.......?

Blessings,

Fled

Me BS
D Day 4-2-2005
OC born 12-2004
DS 21, DS 12
Married 1993

May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays.

F
OP Offline
F
FTS, from our past conversations I believe his reasoning is two fold. 1. he doesn't like my reaction to OW being there. In his mind, there is no A because the PA stopped 2.5 years ago. 2. He doesn't want to ruffle OW's feathers. He thinks eventually she will "allow" him to just take OC. We all know that is not true.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
M
M
FF are you willing to do contact? I mean why is he allowing her power with visation? I'm very confused. It's not up to her if you are involved or not. He's got a family and you can't keep a person's family away from the child just because. I don't think you have a offender record or do drugs so I'm just confused over this.

I know you guys pay cs right? So what would it take to take her back to court for visation? He's been seeing the child so she can't use that against him.

F
F
FF,

Does he not have a regular visitation? Only gets together with OC with OW?

Does he ever read any of this stuff? That this is not a divorce, this was an A, that the NC is forever......that NC not only helps protect the M and prevent anything from restarting but more importantly it takes your feelings about them "hanging together" into account, as the top priority, which is what it should and needs to be?

Fled

Me BS
D Day 4-2-2005
OC born 12-2004
DS 21, DS 12
Married 1993

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by FledTheState
FF,

Does he not have a regular visitation? Only gets together with OC with OW?

Does he ever read any of this stuff? That this is not a divorce, this was an A, that the NC is forever......that NC not only helps protect the M and prevent anything from restarting but more importantly it takes your feelings about them "hanging together" into account, as the top priority, which is what it should and needs to be?

Fled
He honestly does not want to hear any of it, fled.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
L
L
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink....i wish him a bang on the head which leads to an epiphany and suddenly becoming the man you deserve who treats you like the angel you have been to others, myself included xx

F
F
He honestly does not want to hear any of it, fled.

((((FF))))

I don't know what else might be helpful for you frown

Fled

Me BS
D Day 4-2-2005
OC born 12-2004
DS 21, DS 12
Married 1993

F
OP Offline
F
It's alright, fled. Some day when I am gone he may realize the mistake. The point of this thread wasn't help for me. Honestly I don't think there is anything that will help. He has to open his own eyes. I just wanted to post some realities for those coming into this situation that it is full of potholes.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation