Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Sorry to object here, turtlehead, but the description of Plan A/Plan B, linked in your own signature, does not say the above.
I don't mind objections when they're well considered, as yours obviously is. No apology necessary!

I'd always thought of Plan A as meeting ENs and avoiding LBs until the WS said they were ready to work on the marriage.

... And once the wayward spouse's mistake is acknowledged, it's much easier for him or her to take the first step toward recovery by agreeing to never see or talk to the lover again.

I was under the impression that relationship talk and marriage talk etc. with an actively wayward spouse would fall on deaf ears. Only when the wayward acknowledges a problem and decides they want to work on the marriage would relationship talk become appropriate. I could well be mistaken in my thinking here.

Why is "explaining" things a disrespectful judgement?
Because in essence when you "explain" things you are telling the other person that YOU understand, that YOU have the answers, and that THEY lack understanding, THEY don't understand, etc. It's an implicit assumption that the person you're explaining to is inferior/incorrect.

I can see much scope for explanation as well, in what Dr Harley describes. Negotiating for the WS to separate from the OP and exploring unmet needs might all involve explaining. Why is explaining bad? Doesn't it depend on the way it is done?
Stating your ENs, calling your spouse out on LBs, communicating your boundaries - those are all fine - as you say, depending on the way they're done. But when you start to teach, or explain, it becomes a DJ. In my opinion, of course. The way I was using the term, "explaining" was synonymous with "educating" or "preaching" or "prosletyzing". I didn't mean it to include communicating your perceptions or feelings.

Gosh, it's tough to communicate clearly with just the written word sometimes. I'm glad you questioned me on this!

The MB team coach many people while the affair has not yet ended and the BS is in Plan A. Why do you say that counselling should not be addressed during Plan A?
Because Plan A is intended to end the affair, so Plan A implies an actively wayward spouse. In EVERY case I've seen on these boards, when an active wayward goes to counseling, they lie and the counseling is ineffective.

Last edited by turtlehead; 05/12/09 10:24 AM. Reason: hosed up quotes
S
S
Originally Posted by turtlehead
Because Plan A is intended to end the affair, so Plan A implies an actively wayward spouse. In EVERY case I've seen on these boards, when an active wayward goes to counseling, they lie and the counseling is ineffective.

That is generally true. It is very important to warn a BS that this is the likelihood.

However, counselling is not ruled out in Dr Harley's guidleines on Plan A. Wouldn't you agree that MB coaching is sometimes undertaken in Plan A? In SAA, the main story involved Sue and Jon's coaching with Dr Harley while Sue was lying. Dr Harley suspected this and warned Jon about it - but he did not say "do not see me until this is over". Some posters here have undertaken MB coaching with a reluctant or even non-participating WS, during the affair.

When posters go to the useless, inexperienced counsellors that we warn against here, they are usually told to trust their spouses, not to snoop and to get over their obsession with the OP. No wonder this has no effect on the affair! Clearly this poster should be warned away from the average counsellor and told to go to the MB team.

Plan A does not have a high rate of success with ending the affair, but that must be true with or without Harley coaching (since Dr Harley himself said it). MB coaching probably would not end the affair in many cases, but would help the BS do a stonkingly good Plan A.

BTW, there have been a few affairs confessed in counselling (even in the useless variety). I can think of one. You know this poster; she is a long-timer who posed on tully's thread. So you do know one case where the waywards stopped lying and the counselling became effective!

To stillbrowneyes: I apologise if this seems to be a threadjack. I hope that it isn't really, and that you can get some useful information from the discussion about Plan A. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this horrible affair.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
H
H
Originally Posted by turtlehead
]
..... In EVERY case I've seen on these boards, when an active wayward goes to counseling, they lie and the counseling is ineffective.

Very true in my case as well.

I'm not sure it's relevent to the discussion, but something Dr. Harley mentioned when we were at his seminar was, he never counseled couples dealing with infidelity in the same room at the same time.....he said it was counterproductive to do so.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 1,027 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation