Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Historically, marriage between cousins has been seen as desirable in many parts of the world, and even today, slightly more than 10 percent of marriages worldwide are between people who are second cousins or closer, Dr. Bittles said. In the United States, the percentage is thought to be much smaller, although it is difficult to estimate, since such marriages have long been an underground phenomenon, because of laws forbidding them and because of the lingering incest-related stigma.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/26/garden/26cousins.html

L
L
My parents once knew a couple who were niece and her half-uncle.

They didn't find out about the relationship until a few years after they were married, because the niece had been adopted at birth. They met, married, and lived in a state across the country from where he grew up, so his folks never met her until they finally decided to move back. This was back in the 50s, so it was common for several years to go by between family visits. She was the product of a relationship between his much older half-brother and a girlfriend. I'm not sure how they discovered the relationship.

They remained together, but made the choice to never have children.

Last edited by Lady_Clueless; 01/23/10 11:22 PM.

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
L
L
I have lived in some remote bits of the country and I have met several people who have married or have entered into a relationship that are cousins. Some are closer than others.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
T
T
When I taught in a rural school district, there was a family that did have some intermarrying. I know it's supposedly just folklore,but they really did almost all have crossed eyes. Weird.

S
S
I had crushes on 2 of my cousins when I was a teenager - (first cousins) just crushes.

P
P
Mormon sect's polygamy causes most of the world's fumarase deficiency cases

"The community doesn't believe that the children affected with the condition suffer because of inbreeding. They think it's in the water. They are wrong but with outdated theories which as that the disease will continue to crop up in town."

Birth defect is plaguing children in FLDS towns

"Until a few years ago, scientists knew of only 13 cases of Fumarase Deficiency in the entire world. Tarby said he's now aware of 20 more victims, all within a few blocks of each other on the Utah-Arizona border."

Forbidden Fruit

"The fundamentalist community has also benefited immensely from state health-care services for the poor and indigent by receiving more than $12 million a year in state assistance in Arizona to pay for health-insurance premiums.
It turns out that taxpayers also have been footing the bill for the fumarase deficiency children born to polygamists who insist that plural marriage involving close relatives is their divine right.

There is no doubt in the mind of any expert interviewed by New Times that the practice of polygamy combined with inbreeding has fostered the spread of fumarase deficiency. "

Last edited by Pepperband; 02/13/10 12:43 PM.
P
P
So, if my exWW marries her POSOM / second husband, I'll make sure to ask her how her CUSBAND is doing!

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,150 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation