Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
Yes, wu.

The official xfit warmup is:
3 rounds of 10-15
overhead squat with broom handle
sit ups
back exten.
pull up
dip
sampson stretch (too hard to explain, you can youtube it)

I do:
3 rounds
oh squat @ 10
15 crunches
10 back ext.
10 pull ups
15 pushups

total body stretching: legs, back etc... if I have time. If I do late day wod, I will not warmup, and if I've done any running/biking/kayaking/swimming for the day I will not warm up. I figure I should be loosened up or maybe I'll just do crunches/back ext for warmup.

The 10 minutes on eliptical should be good, lower cadence with some moderate tension. Stairs... no.

M
M
Weightlifting kicks b*tt.

Just sayin'... wink

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
T
T
MF,

Try the crossfit!!!

It takes wt. lifitng to a whole new level.

M
M
Originally Posted by themud
MF,

Try the crossfit!!!

It takes wt. lifitng to a whole new level.

Linky link please?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

T
T

O
OP Offline
O
Ok, here's my official review.

YOWSA!

I think I'll take a break tomorrow and do a 90 min spin class instead.

M
M
I only just glanced at it but it looks like this is combining aerobic activity with weight lifting?

If this is true it won't work for me...I cannot tolerate much cardio at all, it ramps up my appetite so much it backfires on me...I have tried it numerous times and the results are always the same...weight gain.

If I am wrong about this program please let me know and I will look into it more closely!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

T
T
OH,

How did it go? What do you mean yowsa, was it tough?

MF,

Yes and no. They do have a recommended nutrition section on the message board. I highly recommend it. Since I've stayed away from refined carbs, my fat burning has gone through the roof. It's tough sometimes, but well worth how I feel. My energy is up.

C
C
MF, you should be eating more while exercising, because you need the energy. Your comment makes me think you've done pure cardio in the past to get the results you got. Cardio burns energy (calories) WHILE you are doing it, but a weight workout burns energy while at rest. People really should be doing both. Cardio is exactly what it sounds like...a cardiovascular workout, to get blood pumping and keep the pipes in order. Weights is where the long-lasting benefits come in for weight loss. You need cardio to get blood (food) to your muscles, you need muscles to burn calories at rest.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
O
OP Offline
O
Mud: Yes, YOWSA means it was tough! The comment about 90 min spin was to put it into perspective. It took me about a half hour I think...to get through the sets. I did a 10 min warmup on the elliptical..easy...not high tension. I had to rest between crossfit sets. There was no way I could just go all out he//bent for leather and do it. So I have a goal...

I used the weight assisted pull up/dip machine. Did the pushups "boy" style first time around...girl style the rest. Did the situps fine first time around; went to crunches after that. The squats..the thing I thought I'd have the easiest time with...were a KILLER! By the 5th round, I'd been cutting them in half.

Like I said..YOWSA.

And yes, it definitely got my heart pumping. I was sweating bullets by the time I was done.

I worked out this AM (cardio only) at the gym, but am resting tomorrow. I generally don't work out on Sundays. Monday I meet with my trainer and she gives me a pretty good workout...lots of which is culled from xfit or P90X so that day is handled. Tuesday, I will probably do just a cardio day. Wed will be my next xfit day.

I emailed back and forth with my trainer...she was interested to see what I thought. She's thinking about offering crossfit group classes in her studio but was worried that people would get bored with the sets. She's so high energy, I doubt that would happen, plus...she would set it to music too. And she's really creative about working with partners and switching stuff up/modifying, to make it more "fun". We're going to talk more on Monday.

M
M
I've stayed away from refined carbs,

Me too, and I have for years...I eat fairly low carb, for a few reasons: I am borderline hypoglycemic; I am on full HRT due to a pituitary tumor and this is the sort of diet my endo recommends; it works for me; I feel best when I avoid carbs; it helps me control my weight.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M
Originally Posted by canwemakeit
MF, you should be eating more while exercising, because you need the energy. Your comment makes me think you've done pure cardio in the past to get the results you got. Cardio burns energy (calories) WHILE you are doing it, but a weight workout burns energy while at rest. People really should be doing both. Cardio is exactly what it sounds like...a cardiovascular workout, to get blood pumping and keep the pipes in order. Weights is where the long-lasting benefits come in for weight loss. You need cardio to get blood (food) to your muscles, you need muscles to burn calories at rest.

What do you mean I should be eating MORE while exercising? I eat plenty, I am far from starving myself.

Actually, I did pure cardio in the past but I did NOT get the results I wanted and never understood why. Then about 5 years or so ago I started weight lifting, but no cardio (didn't have the time then with 4 kids at home whom I homeschooled, so I had to find something I could do AT HOME...weight lifting fit the bill). I got awesome results, but I was spending more time than I really could have afforded...plus I started getting bored.

So over the past few years I have tried adding in some cardio in addition to my weight lifting. Each time I added cardio (even one day/week of kickboxing or aerobics), I have actually gained weight...which is sort of...the opposite of what I would like to do, LOL.

I even tried HIIT, which I LOVED, because it is supposed to be the best form of cardio for a few reasons...one being the short amount of time you need to do it in order to get results. This too backfired on me.

I finally found some awesome, very validating information on a message board with folks who are into hardcore lifting, some who even compete...and found out that I am NOT unusual, that this phenomenon is actually quite common. I decided to drop all cardio and just focus on an intense lifting routine, which I have done. I have increased my weights dramatically and have gotten awesome results.

Now if I could just give up the beer I would be able to drop those last 5 lbs, LOL!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

T
T
OH,

You might want to dry Cindy...

20 minutes continuous:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 squats

I did this yest. and was able to do exactly 23 rounds before my timer went off. That's 23 sets
=115 pull ups
=230 push ups
=245 squats

O
OP Offline
O
Were you bored beyond tears? This one looks like it could get old pretty fast!

My trainer had "gauntlet" today. We had an hour to get through about 15 cardio and 5 ab things..though that's not exactly true because lots of the stations were sets. So for instance...jog down, 'spider man' crawl back..repeat 2x. Army crawl up 10 paces, back 10 paces, push up, then repeat. All the weight stuff was also cardio. Push a 25lb weight the length of the room, put it on your chest and do 16 crunches, push it back, crunches, repeat. Etc.

The abs were killer. Navy Seal sit ups (2 min of continuous situps as fast as you can). 40 crunches. then 25 ..i don't know what you call them..they're for obliques..on each side. Then there was a set of 50 crunches, 25 hip dips, each side, 50 bicycles and something else..can't remember. That was AFTER all the cardio stuff.

O
OP Offline
O
Not too sure what I will do tomorrow.

O
OP Offline
O
I wanted to try "Cindy" but the board went down and I hadn't copied it. Then I went to the crossfit site to see if I could find it, but wasn't able to do so. I'm still a novice in navigating that site.

I'm going to give this one a try today though...I'm short on time and though I probably won't complete near the number you did in 20 min, it should be a good workout.

Question: I've been doing quite a bit of work with free weights and like the results. Will following this program keep that tone? Or do you supplement sometimes like you do with cardio?

T
T
No, I never get bored. Try running for 12 hours straight!!!

I don't know what you mean by keep that tone... I haven't been this ripped since early 20s. Yes, you will stay toned, you end up with a full body workout due to the compound movements and you'll keep the tone.

I do the cardio because I'm an endurance junky. If I did it to just stay in shape, I think I would just follow xfit main site and eat right... cutting out refined flours and sugar, stick to a cave man diet.

That exhaustion you had after doing Barbara is what you are looking to overcome, and do it faster, and use less "off" wt for the pull ups. Doing them faster will increase cardio and strength as you progress.

There's nothing wrong with wts, but I actually have fun with the constant variations in xfit. You can always up the weight and do less reps and rounds. That is, again, scaling the wod and I do it all the time.

H
H
My wife is a fitness coach and distributer for "Beachbody" which produces P90x, Insanity, Turbo Jam, and several others so I have a little experience with these.

CrossFit, P90x, and Insanity are all similar programs. They are a mix of strength, cardio, and flexability exercies done in High Intensity Intervals. They utilize the concept of "Muscle Confusion", which enhances results and avoids plateaus by doing different exercises every day. I did CrossFit for a month or so in a gym setting under the supervision of a trainer. Loved it but not enought to justify the $60/month membership. I think it would be difficult to do in a home setting due to the variety of equipment used and the potential for injury if your form is not exactly correct. If you have access to a gym or own a set of heavy weights, kettle balls, and pull-up bar then definately try CrossFit--you'll love it. Otherwise P90x and Insanty are awesome home workouts that really only require a TV, floor space and pull-up bar.

If you're looking for cardio, TurboJam is a fun cardio workout. It's a unique mix of kickboxing and dance that is surprisingly high intensity.

Do not order off the informercials, they charge about 10-20% more than if you buy through a distributor. If you want any more information on these products or just want to chat with an awesome fitness trainer send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

T
T
HBHH,

I totally agree. Unless you are comfortable lifting weights and have experience, you want to think about the weight portions of xfit. I am totally comfortable. Most of the wod have moderate weight, but the speed at which you do them can cause injury do to form deficiencies, that's why I say scale.

I have a full gym in my basement, and can do everything in xfit, but muscle ups and wall balls... I have to sub for those.

The body weight wod are what p90x has copied and can be found in the message forum.

I must say, though many, many people have injured themselves with the kickboxing and dance. I see it in my office almost weekly where someone has injured themselves doing yoga, dance and kickboxing. That is why I recommend pilates. I rarely see injuries from pilates, and not sure if it's because the reformers require attendance or that it is joint rom that is not stressed so much.

Last edited by themud; 01/20/10 02:42 PM.
O
OP Offline
O
Did "Cindy" yesterday.

No wait. That doesn't sound right AT ALL!

I did the workout you suggested yesterday...the one named "Cindy". That was great. Thanks for suggesting it. Did a 10 min warmup on the elliptical and lots of stretching afterwards as I am not very flexible....and it has gotten worse over the years.

Went to pilates class today. Speaking of flexibility.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 788 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation