Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2310991 01/24/10 09:17 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I just read the book in anticipation of the movie.

I

Can't

WAIT

For

This

Movie!

A
A
My daughter and I went to see The Lovely Bones this weekend (which was pretty disturbing), and saw the previews for Shutter Island. It looks intense, but captivating. I'll definitely be seeing that one.

VERY HAPPY! FBS/FWS; 47yo; M-29 yrs.; DS-26,DD-21; our affairs: 1990-'96
O
OP Offline
O
I loved that book (The Lovely Bones) though I agree, it was pretty disturbing. I've not had the movie high on my list to see, for some reason.

A
A
Both Rachel Weisz and Mark Wahlberg were great. Saoirse Ronan is beautiful and obviously very talented, as well. The story was well written and portrayed....but, I left the theater wishing I'd gone to see a comedy instead. It hit too close to home, especially having gone to see it with my teenage daughter.

I'm looking forward to seeing Leo in Shutter Island, tho! From the looks of the previews, I'm sure it'll be disturbing, too; but, in a way that isn't so personal to me.

VERY HAPPY! FBS/FWS; 47yo; M-29 yrs.; DS-26,DD-21; our affairs: 1990-'96
O
OP Offline
O
It was filmed VERY local so I'm VERY interested in seeing it!

D
D
Originally Posted by OurHouse
It was filmed VERY local so I'm VERY interested in seeing it!

That would be neat!

My H read Shutter Island a couple years ago and told me all about it. I haven't read it myself, but we are both excited to see the movie.

I want to see "Lovely Bones" too. I read the book and it was disturbing, but I'd like to see how they did on the movie. I might wait until it comes out on DVD though. Not sure if it's worth the high ticket price.

drgnfly #2311707 01/25/10 08:00 PM
M
M
My mother is raving about Shutter Island and said she stayed up til 2am reading it. She loved it! I guess I had better set aside my pile of books on nutrition [my latest research binge] and grab it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
It's very good. I doubt I would have searched it out and read it, if not for this movie. I hate seeing the movie before the book, if it's a book adaptation.

I pick and choose my 'big screen' attendances carefully. It's so flippin' expensive to go to the movies these days, that I just wait for the DVD. But there are some I just have to see in theater. Shutter Island is one.

P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
My mother is raving about Shutter Island and said she stayed up til 2am reading it. She loved it! I guess I had better set aside my pile of books on nutrition [my latest research binge] and grab it.

Or maybe see the movie first. Having read the book and its surprise ending (no spoilers here), I'm not as interested in seeing the movie. But I will probably watch it at some point with my daughter, as she is a big Leo fan.

The book is definitely a good read, but I wish I had saved it.

pk

J
J
Originally Posted by OurHouse
I just read the book in anticipation of the movie.

I

Can't

WAIT

For

This

Movie!

What is Shutter Island about?

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
JoJo422 #2314569 01/29/10 03:11 PM
P
P
Martin Scorsese (says it all)

M
M
OH, I finally got the book and started it last night! I am rotating it with my nutrition book, though, which is really, really good!! [Bad Calories, Good Calories by Gary Taubes]

Are you going to see the movie this weekend?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Hi ML: Yes, H and I are going to a matinee on Sunday and then out to dinner. Sort of a combination of his birthday, my birthday and Valentine's Day.

Just working out carpools for the kids for their various stuff.

I can't wait!

The book started out just a bit slow for me but quickly picked up. One night I couldn't sleep and I just finished it...I couldn't put it down. I hope the movie stays true to the script.

H is a bit dubious...the trailers make it look like a horror film, but it's not...Scorcese doesn't do horror, he does suspense.

Last fall, I took a visiting friend through the place where the hospital scenes were filmed. It was broad daylight and she said the place felt sinister.

P
P
We saw Shutter Island today.
We loved it.
I was especially enamored with the score.
DH loved the direction.
We both felt the acting was superb!

I had NOT read the book, so the entire story was brand new for me.
I recommend you do NOT read the book first. !!!
See the MOVIE first.

O
OP Offline
O
Too late. frown I read the book a few months back.

J
J
We saw Shutter Island last night. While it was a good movie, my H and I both found it too much like the movie "A beautiful Mind" think

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
JoJo422 #2327230 02/22/10 08:57 AM
O
OP Offline
O
We saw it last night. Very well done, IMO. They kept very close to the book..didn't add or remove characters or key scenes. Did a good job of making the hospital look eery (I've been up there many times...good running trails...LOL). They did a lot of digital reimaging of the grounds. I'm trying to figure out where some of the cliff shots were taken; Gloucester? I heard they filmed up there. I also heard they filmed in Hull on the south shore of Boston, but can't figure out what took place ... The concentration camp scenes were filmed in a town called Taunton...which gets little enough respect as it is. This didn't help. ROTFL. Interior shots must have been a movie set somewhere. I was disappointed that the credits didn't specifically mention the towns where they filmed. So many movies do that: thanks to the people of XYZ town...etc. But this one just thanked the Mass. Film Commission.

Ok, call me petty. frown

C
C
I'll add this to my Netflix queue smile

S
S
Well I know where the film set was set up and shot as it was directly in back of the location I was working at the time.

It was done in Readville Mass in the now abadoned Stop and Shop Distitbution Center. There had to be a hundred actors and personel trailors there. Quite a site.

On a side note, Scorsase is a train buff(bet you didn't know that). Had a small chit chat with him at the fence that divided the properties, and he offered to let me view the set if I would give him a small ride on one of our huge freight hauling engines. Almost took him up but decided to protect my job instead. (think air traffic controller who let his son give instructions to flights at JFK).

As would be expected, he is quite a quirky type guy.

All Blessings,
Jerry

O
OP Offline
O
It was filmed in quite a few locations in MA, Jerry. The concentration camp scenes were filmed in Taunton. Some of the coast/cliff scenes were filmed in Gloucester (Boston's North Shore) while other scenes were filmed in Hull (Boston's South Shore, not rocky at all like the north shore). The hospital scenes were an abandoned state hospital but the grounds were digitally edited (as were the cliffs on the island, I later found out).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,084 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation