Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
I'm at home today nursing a cold and a very sore back (not directly related, but I hope they both clear up soon). Not that it really matters, since I work out of my home office.

Anyway, since I am alone in the house, I frequently leave the TV on as an "electronic fireplace" to provide sparkling colors and "crackling" noises. I don't usually watch the thing, or if I do, it's only with one eye.

(On the positive side, today TCM has been airing "A Day at the Races," which gives inspiration to this thread's title).

One thing that has been bothering me for days now is the plethora of movies that are about affairs, in one way or the other. It seems that not a day goes by when there isn't a movie on one of the cable channels where the plot or subplot is about someone having an affair.

Today has been blessedly free of this type of movie, but I notice this evening there is a movie airing called, "Something to Talk About" starring Julia Roberts, Dennis Quaid and Robert Duvall. Yep, it's about an unfaithful man...

Of course, a few months ago this wouldn't have registered with me. But now it's a bit of a trigger. Well, maybe not so much a trigger as a PTSD "moment," if you will.

Is it me? Or has Hollywood just embraced the idea that infidelity is a "good story line?" In many cases, it seems this whole idea is romanticized to the point where the affairees are depicted as "star-crossed lovers," or that theirs is a "true love" whereas the marriage is empty, abusive or somehow wanting.

Anyway, this is just a bit of a rant. I thought of adding to this thread a daily list of the "affair movies" I see listed on the channel guide, but I'm going to be traveling a bit for business in the near future, so that may not be possible (or desirable, even).

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
B
B
It's pretty much always been this way.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
L
L
I think infidelity opens our eyes to it, because it has always been there, we just didn't notice. An example is I used to love the musical Moulin Rouge and watched it on average every 2nd month or so. I haven't watched it in 2 years now because of the deception it is based around

Heck I can no longer even listen to some songs I used to love because with my new improved A-vision I can 'see' them for the revolting pig swill they are.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
R
R
The problem with most of the affairs in movies is, like other plot themes, they are unrealistic. They are from the perspective of what people want to believe it would be like, beginning with no consequences.

"Something to Talk About" is more realistic than some of them, but it's casual treatment of much of the elements is disturbing. When the plot does explore the moral and emotional issues, they usually wrap the story in a glamorous setting to offset the action.

While I am ranting, let me agree with my distaste for "Pretty Woman" and other films which glorify prostitution. But a lot of acting is a form of prostitution, of varying degrees, up to and including the real thing.

M
M
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
Is it me? Or has Hollywood just embraced the idea that infidelity is a "good story line?" In many cases, it seems this whole idea is romanticized to the point where the affairees are depicted as "star-crossed lovers," or that theirs is a "true love" whereas the marriage is empty, abusive or somehow wanting.

I think its a matter of enlightenment and really thinking something through. Many folks don't really think it through until it happens to them or someone close to them, so they accept Hollywood's retarded portrayal of adultery. I know I was guilty of this.

For example, I remember thinking years ago how romantic and special the affair was in Bridges of Madison county. But now that I have been enlightened, I see it in its true light: 2 pigs going at each other in the pig pen. It is no more special or �romantic� that that. Just 2 grunting, filthy pigs.

Additionally, I have learned through first hand experience how disgusting it is to find out about your parents adultery after their death. Although I knew my father was a serial cheater, it was especially disgusting and shameful to find out when planning his funeral that his �girlfriend� was actually �yore daddy�s mistress for 35 years.�

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
On the other hand, it seems that folks who were taught right from wrong, versus the poisonous moral relativity, do not view adultery as romantic.

I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I was not taught right from wrong as a child; in fact I was taught that adultery is an acceptable lifestyle choice, so I wonder if one's upbringing had anything to do with it? dunno...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Eww, sorry you had to find that gem out at such a sad time Mel.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
F
OP Offline
F
I didn't even mention the TV shows. Heck, there's "Cheaters," as well as countless others (at least Cheaters --from the little I've seen-- tries to show the emotional devastation to some degree). Even the series often have infidelity as a theme (CSI, Law & Order, etc., etc.)

Mel, your revelation was startling in that it was kept from you for so long. In my case, my dad married his AP.

She was such a horrid person that she alienated everyone in my family. Including my first wife and soon-to-be ex-wife. Even the grandkids stopped visiting.

I wonder what movie would have fit their "affairage?"

St. Francis of Assissi
M
M
ugh Fred, my dad married about 7 or 8 affair partners. He usually met his next wife while married to his last one. I think the ONLY marriage that wasn't an affair marriage was the one to my mother, his first wife.

As for the 35 yr mistress, I asked her why she never married [he was married at least 6 times in all those years!] and she said with a straight face "this niiiiice attorney asked me to marry him but G [my father] didn't think it would be a good idea..." faint

Hey now, don't be dissing Cheaters!! I love that show! grin

Thanks Lil smile

Exposure 101

J
J
Yep....we just never noticed it before.

I think we just don't notice things in movies that don't directly relate to our lives. And I'm not just talking about Affairs.

Like: My mom died 5 years ago. We (my siblings and I) had to make the decision to turn off the life support. Now, I cannot watch that kind of story line in any movie or TV show. It just brings back really painful memories. crybaby

Like: My H got badly burned about 7 years ago. He nor I can stand to watch anything were people are burned or being treated for burns. It just brings back really bad memories.

IMO, for a lot of things, until it directly affects you personally, you don't notice it Nooo

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
On the other hand, it seems that folks who were taught right from wrong, versus the poisonous moral relativity, do not view adultery as romantic.

I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I was not taught right from wrong as a child; in fact I was taught that adultery is an acceptable lifestyle choice, so I wonder if one's upbringing had anything to do with it? dunno...

My wife and I were raised with a fundamentalist Christian viewpoint, and we generally don't view those things as romantic. We watch a LOT of romantic movies, and it's always a sour note for us when the story involves someone leaving a spouse.

The only time it becomes "right" for us is if the spouse they are leaving is committing adultery. Even then, we still don't want the main character committing adultery. We want them to leave and then marry the new person.

We'd rather see a movie about married people overcoming their marriage problems, or a movie about unmarried people falling in love with each other. (And then getting married before consummating the relationship.)

And as far as we're concerned, this is the normal way to view things.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
W
W
My latest flick I watched about an affair was Match Point. It did glamorize the affair, and left the BS seem clueless, and incoherent about the affair.

On the other hand it made the WH and the OW look like they were having troubles.

In reality the BS would know, and there would be fits of outrage, crying, depression, and tension between everyone in the story.

Who wants to watch that? I know I wouldn't. I guess it is easier to stick to the formula for a hollywood movie instead of real life.

F
OP Offline
F
By four o'clock today there will have been three movies showing that have affairs as a plot device
  • Absolute Power (Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman)
  • First Knight (Sean Connery, Richard Gere)
  • Just Between Friends (Mary Tyler Moore, Ted Danson)
These are mainstream movies, not grade B stuff.

They are still dreck.

St. Francis of Assissi
P
P
Since D-Day, I view the movie Titanic in a totally different light. I now view it as three hours of fogbabble!

"Jack" ended up in the right place - on the bottom of the ocean.

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
W
W
Originally Posted by PSUBIKER
Since D-Day, I view the movie Titanic in a totally different light. I now view it as three hours of fogbabble!

"Jack" ended up in the right place - on the bottom of the ocean.

Wait a minute. Titanic isn't an affair movie. Rose wasn't married. True, she was engaged, but not by her own choice. She was only going to marry the guy because her father left their family destitute and her mother couldn't handle not having money, so she was farming her daughter out to the highest bidder. How does this qualify as an A movie?

I love my Titanic.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos

You can't imagine how confusing it is to be raised by moral relativists whose only "judgment" [the only sin in loonyville]is reserved for Christians and Republicans. [aka "self righteous a**sholes" crazy ] Wayward, rebellious minds LOATHE those who acknowledge the difference between right and wrong.

Exposure 101

W
W

You can't imagine how confusing it is to be raised by moral relativists whose only "judgment" [the only sin in loonyville]is reserved for Christians and Republicans. [aka "self righteous a**sholes" crazy ] Wayward, rebellious minds LOATHE those who acknowledge the difference between right and wrong.

I can. I was raised by an OW and single mother who never forgave my wayward father for not leaving his wife and children and marrying her.

M
M
Originally Posted by writer1
I can. I was raised by an OW and single mother who never forgave my wayward father for not leaving his wife and children and marrying her.

oh boy! you were raised in the fun house like me! laugh

Exposure 101

W
W
Originally Posted by writer1

oh boy! you were raised in the fun house like me! laugh

More like the nut house.

M
M

Actually, I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who think that way. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 981 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation