Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
S
S
Originally Posted by writer1
SDWC Man: ??? My H only had one A, one OW. I call it an EA, since they never had sex, but they did do other things of a physical/intimate nature, so there was some PA elements as well. I never know quite what to call it.

Writer,

I stand corrected about your H having more than 1 affair--I misread your post, my apologies.

Now that I have re-read it, I realize that you had (your words here) �one fairly short-term affair�. As I suspected, it is therefore likely that you did not have a high level of emotional-addiction to your OM as originally assumed. I commend you for voluntarily leaving the affair, but my point thus remains valid.

You dealt with a WH who had a largely unreciprocated EA with his ex-girlfriend and you yourself apparently had a short fling with an OM that thankfully did not progress to the point of full-blown fog-addiction.

No offense, but you don�t personally know what it is like to deal with a romantically-addicted, cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs, WW. Be very glad you haven�t had that experience.

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
W
W
Originally Posted by SDCW_man
SDWC Man: ??? My H only had one A, one OW. I call it an EA, since they never had sex, but they did do other things of a physical/intimate nature, so there was some PA elements as well. I never know quite what to call it.

Writer,

I stand corrected about your H having more than 1 affair--I misread your post, my apologies.

Now that I have re-read it, I realize that you had (your words here) �one fairly short-term affair�. As I suspected, it is therefore likely that you did not have a high level of emotional-addiction to your OM as originally assumed. I commend you for voluntarily leaving the affair, but my point thus remains valid.

You dealt with a WH who had a largely unreciprocated EA with his ex-girlfriend and you yourself apparently had a short fling with an OM that thankfully did not progress to the point of full-blown fog-addiction.

No offense, but you don�t personally know what it is like to deal with a romantically-addicted, cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs, WW. Be very glad you haven�t had that experience.

A few more corrections. My A was "short" compared to my H's. My A lasted 6 months, which may not be particularly short compared to many on this board. I was deeply fogged during that 6 months. I was absolutely convinced that there was no hope for my M, that I was "in love" with the OM, that we were going to get married and live happily-ever-after. I thought we were soul-mates, meant to be, blah, blah, blah... In other words, I was very cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs. I can see all of that now. I couldn't see my hand in front of my own face back then.

Luckily, my H did a fairly perfect rendition of a Plan A without even knowing what one was, and it worked. I came to the realization that he really did care about our M and this (very slowly) broke up the fog before I left and made what surely would have been the worst mistake of my life.

2nd correction: My H's EA was very reciprocated by the OW. She was "stuck" in a bad M with a much older man whom she left my H for and married because he was more financially stable and therefore able to take care of her. I know she never would have left her H and her financial security for my H (who earned much less) but she was a big-time cake eater. She wanted them both - her H for the money, and mine for the companionship - and she would have been perfectly happy stringing them both along for the rest of her life.

I have dealt with a WW - me. And, my H was very addicted to his OW. Hence the reason why he maintained this very unhealthy relationship for 10 years.

However, we both finally realized how stupid and selfish we were being and made a conscious decision to grow up and get our heads screwed on straight. It can be done. An A does not have to mean the automatic end of a M, which I think is what Krazy is advocating.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
S
S
Krazy71,
I do empathize with the situation that was thrust upon you, but there are some things about all this pain and drama that I will probably never understand.

If stats are correct and only 15% survive infidelity, that would indicate that 85% do not.

It would now seem obvious that you have chosen to be in the 85% catagory and that's OK with me and pretty much every other BS on these forums.

What puzzels me, is why is it you felt it necessary to come back here and chide, berate, and disrespect those who chose differntly than yourself??

In all of your original thread, no one ever disrespected you for chosing to end your M. So, I must ask, why are you trying to taser those who chose differently??

Why is it the 85 percenters always choose to point and wag a finger at those who aspire to be the 15 percenters who didn't leave and made a resurrected and dead M turn the corner into a new and rewarding M???

I feel now, as I did when reading your original thread. That would include sorrow and empathy for your pain.

Take a couple of deep breaths, Krazy, seek God's peace and temper your bitterness. You don't know what lies in store for you down the line if you seek that peace.

All Blessings,
Jerry

M
M
Originally Posted by shinethrough
If stats are correct and only 15% survive infidelity, that would indicate that 85% do not.

Jerry, a much higher percentage survive infidelity, around 65%. Only 15% of affairs end in Plan A, in Dr Harley's experience.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
A few more corrections. My A was "short" compared to my H's. My A lasted 6 months, which may not be particularly short compared to many on this board. I was deeply fogged during that 6 months. I was absolutely convinced that there was no hope for my M, that I was "in love" with the OM, that we were going to get married and live happily-ever-after. I thought we were soul-mates, meant to be, blah, blah, blah... In other words, I was very cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs. I can see all of that now. I couldn't see my hand in front of my own face back then.

Luckily, my H did a fairly perfect rendition of a Plan A without even knowing what one was, and it worked. I came to the realization that he really did care about our M and this (very slowly) broke up the fog before I left and made what surely would have been the worst mistake of my life.

Writer,

If you could bottle whatever fairy-dust it was that made you de-fog from the emotional addiction in time to save your marriage, you would be very wealthy in short order smile

Very, very few WWs reconcile the way you did, as Dr. Harley freely admits.

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
S
S
Where does Dr Harley freely admit this? Can you give a source, please?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
T
T
krazy71

I say this in jest and respectfully, you are krazy!

Your marriage followed the tidy bowl man ( for those not old enough to remember down the drain ).

Why because it was not recoverable. You put in three years to recover and it did not happen. Your sad, angry, mad. You need to vent. Vent but realize MB is not 100% effective. No expert on marriage is 100% effective. Don't remember your details. Don't need to at this point.

You gave it your best shot. Not every marriage can be saved and not every marriage should be saved.

Walk away proud because you were the better man then and have become an even better man now.

G
G
Originally Posted by tmi57
I'm a long time lurker, but this one drew me out of lurkdom. In June 2006 I discovered my wife's 1 1/2 year long affair. Like many here my world was absolutely shattered. I never thought that something like that could happen to us. Today nearly 4 years later, I am very secure in who I am, I have no problems with my self-esteem or sense of self worth. I also have a marriage that is recovered and in many ways is far better than the relationship we had prior to the affair.

Granted, when I confronted my wife on d-day, she confessed, immediately ended the affair and went no contact. She did display remorse and spent her energies trying to recover our marriage. She also did not put me through the indignity of a withdrawal from her affair partner. Shortly after I discovered MB and with the help of JL and some others who are no longer posting I feel we have recovered our marriage. Is the affair a distant memory that is buried in some remote region of my mind? No. We still discuss certain aspects of it, but this I feel is due to the role we have played in the lives of some family and friends who have also undergone the trauma that an affair afflicts. Yes I do bear scars, but those scars would remain whether we recovered the marriage or not and would then play a part in any future relationships.

Today I am very happy, I love my my wife, I am part of a family unit that is intact. I have a wife that loves me and reminds me of it regularily. She contributes daily to my well-being. In many ways it's hard to associate who she is today with the person she was 6 or so years ago. I would not trade anything for what I have today other than the ability to go back in time and erase the affair from our experience.

I would also like to say that the the price she has paid for her actions is far greater than the price I have paid for recovery. I can go through life with the knowledge that I have kept my vows. She to this day mourns what she perceives as the loss of her integrity. The hit to her own self esteem is far greater than the hit to mine and today I do have a concern about her self image. I need to be there to comfort and help her when she does get overwhelmed with the memory of the choices she has made.

Please don't question my sense of my own self worth or self esteem. What I have today I value more than anything else on earth. It's my choice and she was/is worth it.

Regards

tmi57,
Wow! I am only 15 months past d-day, but your story parallels mine down to the last sentence--immediate NC, great remorse, no withdrawal, WS's regret and poor self-esteem. Recovery is never easy, but some of our fellow MBers have had it so much worse than we have.
GY

D-Day EA 11/29/08
D-Day PA 12/12/08

T
T
Originally Posted by imanotherone
Originally Posted by markos
So Krazy, your child/children are OK with plan D? No hard feelings there?

I would hope those children would place the guilt for the divorce where it belongs.
And where is that? Sure, the WAYWARD is guilty for the affair. But if the wayward works on recovery, then BOTH parties have to accept responsibility for the DIVORCE. Just looking at it through a kid's eyes...
Not sure if anyone got back to this - 48 posts since this was written! Anyway, just because a wayward works on recovery doesn't place any blame of the divorce on the BS AT ALL!!! Look at it through a kids eyes - "I can do whatever I want and just say sorry and there will be no consequences!" That's what you are teaching them!

Adultery and its consequences are actually pretty simple for even very young children to understand. Mommy had/has a boyfriend. That's not allowed when she is married. Because she broke the rules, we can't be married anymore. It doesn't matter if mommy tried to recover the marriage or not - divorce is a fair consequence to her adultery.

B
B
Sorry to hear about your sit but sometimes there is no sex its just an EA. That means I screwed up too. I think in those cases you can recover and move forward. At, least Im banking on it since I am in the middle of it right now. Just starting my plan A.

S
S
I am new here but I must say..
I myself... go from trying and doing my very best to make this work here...
I feel most of the time I am the only one working at it..
I talk and talk to him telling him my feelings and what I need here...
But it doesn't seem to do any good ...
He will be good for a couple of days then back to the same old way...
But then the net day I get it in my head that I am not ready to give up...
I am back and forth on what to do...
But I just got the book Surviving the Affair and have been reading and know that what I feel from day to day can change...
How long I will do this I have no clue right now...

E
E
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Where does Dr Harley freely admit this? Can you give a source, please?

Steve Harley told me this when I was working with him. He said the BH has a much more difficult time winning back the WW, because she has not just physically, but also emotionally left the marriage.

Other things Dr H. says are,

Men's perceived failure to satisfy their wives is punctuated by the fact that women file for divorce twice as often as men. In other words, their unhappiness with marriage often results in divorce.

When all forms of spousal neglect are grouped together, we find that it is far ahead of all the other reasons combined that women leave men. Surprisingly few women divorce because of physical abuse, infidelity, alcoholism, criminal behavior, fraud, or other serious grounds. In fact, I find myself bewildered by women in serious physical danger refusing to leave men that threaten their safety.

Simply stated, women leave men when they are neglected. Neglect accounts for almost all of the reasons women leave and divorce men.

I would say they leave when the FEEL neglected. It doesn't even take real neglect, but merely the idea that they are neglected, and those who leave feel justified because they feel they are missing out on something.

Does this sound like men who are neglecting their wives?

When I talk to their husbands, they usually have a very different explanation as to why their wives feel the way they do. They often feel that the expectations of women in general, and their wives in particular, have grown completely out of reach. These men, who feel that they've made a gigantic effort to be caring and sensitive to their wives, get no credit whatsoever for their sizeable contribution to the family. They feel under enormous pressure to improve their financial support, improve the way they raise their children, and improve the way they treat their wives. Many men I see are emotionally exhausted and feel that for all their effort, they get nothing but criticism.

So what do we do. Do we validate the feelings of the wives, but discount the feelings of the husbands. Both have shared feelings here. She feels neglected, he feels unappreciated for the efforts he's emotionally exhausted and criticized.

And this is BEFORE she has her affair. Then, after he's totally beaten down, she chooses an affair.

I can tell you, the first time I heard my ex-wife say she was unhappy was when she was already in her affair with the OM. She never once, in 7 years of married life together said those words to me until she followed them by announcing she wasn't in love with me and wanted to move out.

It wasn't like I wasn't there. I left my job that had me traveling 50% of the time to be home. But that wasn't enough. I suggested we carve out time to be together, just the two of us (instinctively wanting 15 hours a week of UA) only to be rejected.

Sorry, women may by more books, etc. But buying books and complaining to your husband doesn't mean you are more concerned or committed to your marriage.

Not choosing to divorce your spouse is a far more reliable measure of commitment. If you are committed, you don't leave, you don't threaten divorce, you don't engage in behaviors that are destructive to your marriage.

As long as women file for divorce 2-3x more often than men, one will NOT convince me women are more concerned, invested, or however it's described, to their marriages.

Committed people don't choose divorce.

S
S
Now this is a great thread! Much more insightful than the usual, "Do exactly as I say or you have no chance!" commentary.

Echoing Krazy71, a BS should imho strongly consider immediate divorce rather than wasting years of their life under the following circumstances:

1. The affair happened within the first 5 years of the marriage.
Don�t waste your time with a WS like this�he/she never took the marriage seriously from the get-go. A no-brainer.

2. This isn�t your WS�s first inappropriate extra-marital relationship.
See #1. Someone repeatedly distracted by anything shiny on the side of the road is not marriage-material. Another no-brainer.

3. The exposure potential is not very �target rich�.
If OP�s career/job can�t be jeopardized, if OP is unmarried or already divorcing, if family members �go along� or are detached, you don�t have much pressure to bring to bear on breaking the affair.

4. Your WS is clearly emotionally-addicted to the OP.
The more irrational, fantasy-driven, scapegoating-towards-you, and defending-the-OP your WS is, the more deeply he/she is addicted. They are illogically and powerfully attached to the OP. You are, at the very least, looking at a looooong road.

5. (get ready, this may be controversial) Your WS is � a WW!
Unless you catch the relationship in its infancy (rare), she will be heavily-addicted. She won�t give her OM up voluntarily (much more rare for a WW than a WH). The only realistic hope is to get him to dump her via exposure pressure that threatens something more important to him than her (career, finances, his marriage/kids). If #3 is present, you are hosed. I have seen many, many emotionally-addicted, active WW affairs both here on MB and in real life and I can tell you it is vanishingly rare to break the affair and save the marriage unless the OM dumps the WW in fairly short order. The usual result, like with Krazy, MissMyFamily, PSUBIKER, and myself, is that the WW is a �not-worth-it-lost-cause� who stays tightly glued to her lover, no matter what the sacrifice and how big a slimeball-loser the guy is. Think hard about it, BHs, cuz divorce is basically just Plan B without the added pain of (a likely futile) prolonged disappointment-limbo.

Well, I've got 3,4, and 5 going for me. No wonder it's been such a struggle. It's been one and half months since D-day and I've already gone through 4 or 5 cycles of dicovering contact, confronting her about it.

The last time she said she saw him so that they could close things as friends and that she was now fully committed to NC.

In the following week I found a credit card charge to the bar he frequents (I was camping with the kids) and yet another prepay phone purchased at Target.

I am at the point of seriously considering cutting my losses.

I
I
When I went back and read more of Krazy's posts, it dawned on me: a lot of his problems came from inside. Clearly, the rage toward the OM, who he didn't even know before DDay, was rage that maybe should have been addressed in counseling sessions (both IC and MC).
Pride seems to be the underlying factor here. "How could HE do this to ME?"
Well, guess what? It probably wasn't about you at all.
The fact that NC was established but you were unable to forgive and move on, in my opinion, was more about YOU than it was about her.
Why do I say this?
Because I'll readily admit that my recovery is stalled because of the same reason.
But I don't blame my FWH for my inability to get past it. That's on me.
When I think back sometimes, I think, "hey it would have been easier if I had just kicked his butt out that first hour." But then, when I look at my children, I realize that I would have only seen half as much of them for the past 5 years. Then some OW could have seen them the other half. How could I protect my children from an OW if my then-WH was fogged out? I couldn't.
So, yes, I took the more difficult path. But it was less selfish.
Because guess what?
Once you have kids, it's not just about you anymore.
I certainly won't have any regrets from spending 5, 10, or 15 years in a less-than-perfect marriage, if my kids get to see me each and every day. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Granted, there's an even higher road--learning to forgive and move on with recovery. But I, like you, am unable to achieve that at this time. Who knows? Maybe some day I will. But until then, I hold my family together.

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
P
P
When I went back and read more of Krazy's posts, it dawned on me: a lot of his problems came from inside.

I really wish that other people would do what imanotherone did, instead of making invalid assumptions. It's really easy to look up old posts, and it often gives a clearer picture of what's going on.

From Krazy's first thread:

She has done nearly everything right since, and we are working on R.

So how does she feel about adultery now?

She really hates it. She despises what she did. She went out and bought "Not Just Friends" on her own, and read it. She cringes when infidelity is mentioned on TV or in movies, just like I do.

She can't believe what type of person she had become.

After re-reading my own post, I can't help but wonder if at least some of my anger is unresolved anger from my childhood. My mom started the cheating...my father knocked her up WHILE SHE WAS STILL MARRIED TO HER 1ST HUSBAND. She then divorced him and married my dad. Charming, isn't it?

Let me be clear: of course Krazy could have initiated divorce proceedings right on Dday. No one would have faulted him, everyone would have understood. No one is faulting him now - it's his choice. He has received nothing but support from this forum, as far as I can see.

But let's not pretend that Krazy's wife has been some kind of unrepentant wayward, and that because she is female, his recovery never had a chance. Because that's just wrong, and worse, it's misleading to newcoming BHs.

Furthermore, I can understand some BSs taking umbrage at Krazy's insistence that recovery with a wayward is, well, crazy and futile. It's just not so, particularly if both spouses are committed to saving the marriage and changing their behavior.

As a FWS, I am going *way* out on a limb here, even posting to this thread. So, why am I doing it? Because my H read this forum when our recovery was in its infancy, and I don't like to think about how he would have felt if someone had told him that recovery was impossible. He already felt awful, but at least he had hope when he read some of Dr. Harleys material. And he was open to counseling w/SH.

I feel blessed that he chose me, chose us, chose our family, chose recovery, chose the "harder" path. But then, that's like him, he's not an easy road kind of guy.

pk

S
S
Excellent post, PK. You said what I tried to.

God's Blessings,

Say

Me, BW-57
FWH 54
4 kids and 4 grandbabies between us
In recovery since D-day, May 28,2007
FWH never onboard the MB boat but still clinging to the side.
One day at a time by God's grace.
D
D
>I feel blessed that he chose me, chose us, chose our family, chose recovery, chose the "harder" path. But then, that's like him, he's not an easy road kind of guy.

I'd be willing to bet my left big toe that he feels equally blessed.

I know I do.

Today is my 15 year anniversary.

To apply a cookie cutter action for these situations (as Krazy suggests) is a load of hooey.

Last edited by Dealan-de; 03/10/10 10:20 AM.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
M
M
Originally Posted by TogetherAlone
I sometimes wonder if people are posting while they're drunk or high, or just in an ecstasy of bitterness.

To any newbies who might have felt discouraged by Krazy's post, consider the following instead.

Infidelity is an appalling trauma. Few of us are prepared for this to happen to us; we're not equipped to deal with it. We start off much too small for this overwhelming disaster.

Straight away, we have to make a choice - stay small, or grow big. Growing big - which means developing self-honesty, defending boundaries, fighting down panic, enduring injustice - is painful and difficult. Staying small - which usually means amputating the problem marriage - requires only the effort to get through the divorce.

Stick around here for a few years, and you'll notice that those who choose to grow don't lose out in the long run. The marriage may not recover; they may decide they don't WANT to recover the marriage, but they come out of the whole deal a much more enlightened, wise and self-aware person than they would ever have been otherwise. They have a much better chance of success in a subsequent marriage, IF they've done the hard work on themselves.

Stick around, and you'll notice another pattern. A lot of people who ran away from infidelity in a previous marriage end up with yet another unfaithful spouse. If you haven't worked out how you ended up at d-day the first time round, chances are good that you'll repeat the same patterns, and end up with the same result.

MB is not a magic formula for fixing marriages. It's a tool you can use to build a healthy marriage - IF you're both prepared to do the work, and IF there's enough emotional health available to build on. That's not the case for every broken marriage, and not every marriage can or should be saved.

Don't be put off making the effort just because there's a possibility you won't end up with a 'fixed' marriage. You won't lose out, whatever happens.

The tragedy is to fudge the work, end up with a divorce anyway, then complain the whole program didn't work. Shame on you, Krazy.

TA

Well. I don't have a thing to add to this except HUZZAH, TA! hurray

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

P
P
Happy Anniversary, Dealan-de!

smile

M
M
Originally Posted by schtoop
I am at the point of seriously considering cutting my losses.

schtoop, this is the danger of threads like this, it dashes the hopes of perfectly viable marriages that might have made it if they tried. Sure, some don't, but MANY DO. There are many recovered marriages on this board where the wife was the WS. You could be one of them, but you won't be if you give up before you try.

Secondly, I want to echo Pepperband, imanotherone, and penaltykill about Krazy's marriage. His marriage is ending, not because his wife wouldn't get on board, BUT BECAUSE HE CANNOT GET OVER HIS RESENTMENT. His wife ended her affair and did her best to commit to rebuilding. Krazy could not overcome his resentment. SOME CANNOT and that does not mean they are at fault, it just is what it is.

PK, I am glad that you took the time to post here. These newly BH�s need to see that there is hope.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 451 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation