Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
OP Offline
M
gemstone, I didn't hear it but I do know they are ADAMANTLY against opposite sex friendships in marriage. ADAMANTLY. Here is his recent newsletter about it: Are "Friends" a Threat to Your Marriage?

A quote about jealousy from Dr Harley: "Jealousy is a normal reaction to a threat to marriage. It's not a Love Buster."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
Oh I know what the site says here and have read that link before....and I agree with totally BUT that isn't how they both dealt with that 1st young woman's call about her soon to be husbands opposite sex friendship! They focused on the fact that she is a jealousy personality type instead and did compliment the boyfriend that he is paying attention to her when she feels jealous....he even gave an example that he had a friendship super close to a woman and Joyce had no issue with it at all cause the woman was 65 at the time and very over weight...they were a young couple then and Joyce wasn't threatened by it at all...so fine for them on that one...I get that...if she is grandmas age there's probably no risk involved.

BUT they never got any clarification from the caller....how old is this girl-friend of his? sounded like the same age to me...and someone he's been friends with for quite sometime....then they focused on her being the neurotic jealous personality type that's never gonna change....

This is horrible IMO....nothing like what I thought they would tell a caller....and doesn't match those articles or this site at all....I am stunned....go listen...it's the beginning and only lasts 9mins....I am not hearing things...they actually handled it this way.

M
OP Offline
M
gemstone, I wish I could listen to it. I really think there were some extentuating circumstances because they are adamantly against oppostie sex friendships.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
The show is tomorrow from 2 to 3 pm cst!! Someone needs to call with a question!

Last edited by MelodyLane; 05/03/10 08:22 AM. Reason: got the time wrong

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Oh, Lordy, Lordy, he is taking calls from silly foreigners: sigh

MARRIAGE BUILDERS� RADIO
AM980 KKMS (St. Paul, Minnesota)
MONDAY - FRIDAY
2:00PM - 3:00PM CENTRAL TIME (GMT-6)
888-332-5169 (toll-free)
651-289-4499 (local and international)

Every foreigner I know is a regular little America calling devil when it comes to calling America! They ALL know how to call over here! skeptical

Exposure 101

D
D
Gemstone, I just listened to the program you refer to, and I heard something different than you.

Bill and Joyce Harley tell the woman that she needs to tell the fiance how she feels when she feels jealous and that the fiance needs to be careful about how he acts around other women.

Bill tells her that she may in fact be the more jealous type, but there's nothing wrong with that, and that the fiance should accommodate her reactions.

Bill tells her that if she has a negative reaction to the fiance's relationship with another woman, he shouldn't have that relationship.

FBW in recovery
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by DeltaDrDeceit
Gemstone, I just listened to the program you refer to, and I heard something different than you.

Bill and Joyce Harley tell the woman that she needs to tell the fiance how she feels when she feels jealous and that the fiance needs to be careful about how he acts around other women.

Bill tells her that she may in fact be the more jealous type, but there's nothing wrong with that, and that the fiance should accommodate her reactions.

Bill tells her that if she has a negative reaction to the fiance's relationship with another woman, he shouldn't have that relationship.

That interpretation fits exactly with what Dr Harley preaches and teaches. In fact, he says that "jealousy is a natural reaction to a threat in the marriage." If a spouse is jealous it is up to the other spouse to STOP doing whatever is causing the jealousy.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
bump

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
starts in 5 minutes!! You can listen through the link in the first post.

Exposure 101

V
V
Tuning in! This is FUN!

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
OP Offline
M
or you can go here: http://www.kkms.com/

Exposure 101

V
V
ML thanks for the alternate link- the website link above was just playing music for me.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
P
P
Listening now...

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
B
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Listening now...

Me too. Neat concept but geez....the callers need to listen to the questions and not keep babbling on and on. doh2

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
V
V
Can I just say that I LOVE that Joyce is on there with him?

Marriage is a 2 person effort and I think she's as much an expert as he in many ways.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
P
P
She has a wonderful radio voice too!

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
B
edit

Last edited by BerlinMB; 05/03/10 04:02 PM. Reason: TOS violation
M
OP Offline
M
bump its on now!!

Exposure 101

M
M
Listening.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Me too.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation