Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
O
OP Offline
O
TBC, thanks for the input:
I get that, but who's to say that he will be sufficiently recovered in 110 days? Isn't personal recovery defined by the individual and not the state of Montana, or Kentucky, or wherever?
I think it's pretty reasonable black-and-white bench mark. The court date was the first, now the 120 day ink-drying process is the next level of recovery. It's all pretty nebulous to me, quite frankly, but folks like Not know a lot more about this stuff than I do; that's my experience. Around here you're married until your not married - I can respect that. Now I just need to find a map to that island Tom Hanks was on; I'll go there until October and be all set!

So, the dry ink date is just a mile-stone of self-respect, if you adhere to the principles here. I suppose some folks need more time after that. Pretty sure I won't.

opt

Hang in there Opt. There are a lot of us who are proud of how you have handled this storm. These 108.25 days will pass fast, but you could use the time to scope out prospects.... wink

And you could be me..... Divorce filed June 2, 2009... Final divorce date set for December 2010. 19 months.... of not only a lack of EN's being met, but a LOOOOOONG time to be in the storm. Still wearing my ring, even though she has a new wedding dress and wants our kids to be her wedding, out of state, to the OM.

Last edited by 1stepforward; 06/28/10 05:31 PM.

Bh-me-45
xWW- 45
Married 15years, together for 20
served D papers on 6/2/09
Divorce final 12/19/2010

Custody of our 3 kids
DD 12
DS 10
DD 7

T
T
Originally Posted by 1stepforward
Hang in there Opt. There are a lot of us who are proud of how you have handled this storm. These 108.25 days will pass fast, but you could use the time to scope out prospects.... wink

And you could be me..... Divorce filed June 2, 2009... Final divorce date set for December 2010. 19 months.... of not only a lack of EN's being met, but a LOOOOOONG time to be in the storm. Still wearing my ring, even though she has a new wedding dress and wants our kids to be her wedding, out of state, to the OM.

I include myself in that group that thinks Opt has done a great job navigating through this thing. No doubt about it....

19 months to get to D-Ville? Wow. Which D-Train are you taking -- Amtrak or Thomas The Tank Engine? You make Opt's 110 days seem like a walk around the block. Well, regardless, sorry to hear about your sitch. Having the kids in that wedding will be utterly bizarre for them. Hopefully, she rethinks that strategy.....

TBC

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by 1stepforward

Holy smokes. What am I whining about?
Thanks 1step. By December you should be manyStepsforward.

opt

O
OP Offline
O
I include myself in that group that thinks Opt has done a great job navigating through this thing. No doubt about it....

Thanks so much all y'all. The encouragement really helps.

I just realized this w/e is 1 year anniversary from d-Day. Yeah, I really don't need to get someone else involved with that. I'll absorb that one, put it behind me, and take strength from it to move on.

~Opt

19 months to get to D-Ville? Wow. Which D-Train are you taking -- Amtrak or Thomas The Tank Engine? You make Opt's 110 days seem like a walk around the block.
tbc - had to get a chuckle out of your phraseology.

L
L
Hang in there Opt! You've been doing great. I know it must be difficult to think of another 3 months plus without female companionship, but think of how great it will be when you do meet up with the 'right one' - someone who is into MB, I hope!

Me: BH 60 - Married 21 years
ExW had an EA beginning 09/09 (Facebook)
After a few false recoveries, I filed for D 05/11
D final 03/12

'Be Mindful of Your Many Blessings and Endeavor Daily to be Worthy of Them'
Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
N
N
Okay boys.......just when I thought we had put this issue to rest, we get a returning BS to SHOW you all what I am talking about........

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...63&what=showflat&fpart=3&q=1

Remember Patriot45 from last winter???? Well, he's got a thread here but he started one in 101 as well where he got many more responses.......

My particular favorite thus far is from Mel......
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
The best advise I've heard is to tell OW, which I will do. It's not fair to her and she has done nothing wrong. It will defenitly end us, but so be it....she deserves better than this.

I agree, patriot. And please wait until you are divorced and are recovered from the divorce. People who have been through your ordeal are extremely vulnerable and tend to latch onto the first thing that comes along. And when that rebound relationship fails, the pain is worse than the collapse of the marriage.

Take your time; you won't regret it.

Enough said.......

Opt,

I'm a bit harder on YOU for a couple of reasons. One being I've followed ya from day 1 so I'm a bit invested..... grin

Two, you are still very new at becoming a FWH........I'd like you to keep those lessons close your heart because really they will help you to STAY true to who you really are. Not all wayward become formers just because their affairs have ended. My own mother who is an adulteress 3x's over hasn't had an affair in over 20 yrs. I do believe she will probably NEVER have another one. HOW.EV.ER.....she is STILL as foggy and wayward as any active wayward out there. I'm not sure she will ever overcome that.

I don't believe that is you, but let's not start down the slippery rope to begin with, k???

And my last and FINAL thoughts on this.......

I've heard MANY people stated they regretted starting dating too soon during the D process and shortly thereafter, BUT I have never heard someone say they regretted that they waited......

The smorgasbord of beautiful women will still be there once you are ready........... laugh

Not

M
M
Originally Posted by not2fun
Not all wayward become formers just because their affairs have ended. My own mother who is an adulteress 3x's over hasn't had an affair in over 20 yrs. I do believe she will probably NEVER have another one. HOW.EV.ER.....she is STILL as foggy and wayward as any active wayward out there. I'm not sure she will ever overcome that.

That describes my grandmother to a T. I don't believe she had an active affair during my lifetime, but she was foggy forever.

I never knew exactly what was wrong with her until I'd been here awhile and learned a lot about the wayward mindset.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
O
OP Offline
O
thanks not, you're a lifesaver, even if you are killing me.

I'll be back after pool.
(I always wonder if I'll run into Bampot)
smile
opt

O
OP Offline
O
Okay, no pool, but I wanted to get on a couple of things:
Two, you are still very new at becoming a FWH....
You're so right, and thanks for saying it. Have the tendencies and definitely want to put that ugly part of me in the rear view mirror. Any sort of relationship right now would be an A, plain a simple. I think I was giddy from the endorphins let loose after the court date was successful. Real truth is I still do consider myself married in a legal sense (I just threw up a little in my mouth) and must uphold the sanctity of the agreement, for my own integrity. I must. Otherwise, I learned nothing from my exposure. I hope to be in a relationship someday where RA is commonplace. I don't plan to turn into a spin doctor any time soon; so there's no sense giving myself something to spin.

she is STILL as foggy and wayward as any active wayward out there
I think this is going to end up being my Xww.

I don't believe that is you, but let's not start down the slippery rope to begin with, k???
thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't see myself having another affair. The circumstances were very specific; and I was supremely ignorant. I also don't see myself getting into or staying in a relationship as lackluster as my marriage was - I was literally trapped in a cage and didn't know there were tools to make it better until it was too late.

The smorgasbord of beautiful women will still be there once you are ready
The D is final on my 42nd birthday. Forty-two seems soooooooooooo old. I'll probably need a walker by then, and have false teeth and hearing aids, and cataracts. Oh well, I guess as long as I'm still continent I might have a chance.

opt

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Linus
Hang in there Opt! You've been doing great. I know it must be difficult to think of another 3 months plus without female companionship, but think of how great it will be when you do meet up with the 'right one' - someone who is into MB, I hope!
Good to "see" you Linus, thanks for checking in.

F
F
Originally Posted by optimism
The D is final on my 42nd birthday. Forty-two seems soooooooooooo old. I'll probably need a walker by then, and have false teeth and hearing aids, and cataracts. Oh well, I guess as long as I'm still continent I might have a chance.
Hey, I'm 58 -almost 59- and I only feel old when my back starts giving me trouble. I ran a 5K this past weekend and I'm planning a 30 mile bike ride in a week or two. You've got nothing to complain about, opt. Heck, you're still a kid.

And you're doing great, BTW.

Sorry I haven't checked in for a few days. I've been "de-cluttering" the house -- my agent wants to show it Thursday morning. I like this idea of a "house swap," but I wonder: Since I'm not employed right now, how would I get financing...?

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
O
OP Offline
O
I know Fred, just me using my bad sense of humor against myself. Again.

De-cluttering is great. My mom says energy can't flow through a cluttered house. She knows about these things. I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff and it does feel good. When you land somewhere, you'll have less stuff to drag around.

good luck with the house swap - seems like a good deal. You cut out the brokers right?

S
S
De-cluttering the house is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most when I finally get the STBXW out.

F
F
Originally Posted by schtoop
De-cluttering the house is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most when I finally get the STBXW out.
I thought the house looked pretty barren when my WxW first moved out (some of the rooms are still empty). But I've managed to "clutter" the used rooms a bit since then. It's almost surprising to see how "personal" I've made the place.

And now I have to de-personalize it to show it. All in a matter of a few months...

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
N
N
Originally Posted by optimism
So, the plan is to continue to deprive myself of dopamine, and banana splits, for 108 and 1/2 more days. How about some ideas on how to keep my overactive imagination fenced in.
*Keep after the home improvement projects.
*Read FILSIL
*Spend lots of time with the kids.
*Start working out more.
*Decline offers smile

Any other suggestions?

Opt,

You have the WHOLE world (except the female part...... ;)) in the palm of your hand right now.......this is the time where you do ALL those things you wanted to do but couldn't because of marriage. Make a Bucket List of sorts. Think of things you always WANTED to try or were interested in.....there are NO restrictions to this list. Put everything down no matter how big or small.......and then go about DOING them......

*Bungee Jumping??.....check out local places to do it
*taking an Art History class??...... Look at your local museum
*loved bowling when you were younger and before kiddo's??......join a Men's league....
*interested in wood carving??..... Look at your local Adult Education classes

The world is YOUR oyster right now......take ADVANTAGE of it, because as you already know, once you start dating and bringing females in the mix, it's not all about YOU.........so do it......

As far as some personal growth and healing.......shelve FILSIL for now.....you don't need it.......

Instead, go pick up "Boundaries" by Cloude and Townsend. This will help you in defining your own personal boundaries with others, your children, your STXWW (Lord knows you need help there...... crazy), and even future possible mates.

Also, look at your parish and see if they have a Divorce Recovery Group. If they don't, look at other local churches. This will help you TONS. Even if you "think/feel" like you are doing well and on the right path, this will help you see area's that may need some extra time. word to wise though, make sure when you are inquiring you find a group that is same sex. It is very unhealthy to be in a group with mixed sexes........

Does any of that help????.......

It's OKAY to be selfish during this time of healing........so take the world by storm Opt.....just not the females........ rotflmao

Not

O
OP Offline
O
grumble
Ooohhh, you're contemptible and cruel. and I love ya like a sistah.

I know you know this but it's my thread so I'll say it anyway:
See, Knot, I don't want to go bowling and I don't want make a wood duck. What I want to do is sit across the table from a WOMAN. Do you hear me? WO - MAN. The kind with smooth skin and beautiful eyes and that smells really good. I want to listen to her talk about anything because I love her voice, and when she laughs it's like angels. I want to watch her move gracefully in her space and know she's there with me because she's intrigued by me and feels safe when I'm around.

You know, that kinda thing.

But instead I have to focus on myself and go to recovery groups. BORING.

I just ordered your stupid book. And I'll call the church tomorrow. But I'm not going to like any of it. Not one bit.

opt

S
S
Opt,

I've got to say, you have me scratching my head on this one.

I am so looking forward to the personal and parenting freedom that's just around the corner. I can't wait to start doing things for ME, without the dark cloud of how it will affect the WW hanging over my head.

I can go fishing until dark without worrying about putting her out too much. I can go out on a day excursion with the kids without having to be back by 4:00 so that she can "rest". I can insist the kids get up in the morning and that they play outside or even exercise without her thinking I'm being too controlling.

I am in no hurry to have someone new come in and start taking those freedoms away.

O
OP Offline
O
Maybe that's just it Schtoop. I don't want the little beauty to move in with me. I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds. (Is that cake-eating for non-marrieds? I dunno).
Problems is, as Not states it, one date leads to another and next thing, things are getting all serious and messy and I still don't know who I even am: so the lovely heart throb gets pulled into a dog-and-poney smoke show. Not fair, not pretty.

Thing about Not is every time I do what she says, things tend to work out. When I don't....well, not so much.
And for this I despise her. cool

~opt

Originally Posted by schtoop
Opt,

I've got to say, you have me scratching my head on this one.

I am so looking forward to the personal and parenting freedom that's just around the corner. I can't wait to start doing things for ME, without the dark cloud of how it will affect the WW hanging over my head.

I can go fishing until dark without worrying about putting her out too much. I can go out on a day excursion with the kids without having to be back by 4:00 so that she can "rest". I can insist the kids get up in the morning and that they play outside or even exercise without her thinking I'm being too controlling.

I am in no hurry to have someone new come in and start taking those freedoms away.

O
OP Offline
O
And for anybody reading along - Not2Fun gets my humor. She knows I have the utmost respect for her and her opinions, and her directives. To anyone who is graced with her presence on their thread, consider yourself lucky and do what she says. You won't regret it, even if it does feel like walking on broken glass.

Sincerely,
Optimism

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (SadNewYorker, 1 invisible), 968 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation