Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
My wife and I are working really hard to come to an agreement for an uncontested divorce. We are coming to terms with all the specifics and feels like we are 99% in agreement. Expecting that we CAN get to a fully mutual agreement...we don't want to add the extra expense of lawyers.

Has anyone ever used an ONLINE divorce service?
Are they really able to handle all the agreed specifics for couples in an uncontested divorce. We have kids, and assets to divide, and agreed arrangements for custody, child support, etc... I'm afraid we're going to waste our money with the online route, but wanted some feedback from those that have done it.

W
W
I don't know anything about online divorce and I think it has a lot to do with what is allowed in your area. Legal aid services are able to help with paper work and getting everything together in a case such as this. Personally I would be leary, I like face to face with people who are helping with something as complicated and important as this.

BS: 38
WH: 40
D-day: Sept 07

Happily Remarried
DD: 17
DD: 15
DD:12

No one should put up with neglect and abuse, and now we don't have to.
P
P
It depends on your state laws, however, most of the time, if it is 100% agreed and simple assets, you can get by with the DIY paperwork. It's basically boiler plate paperwork that includes everything under the sun. In fact, I've found that most of the language they include is not necessary but that's because I've been in the legal field for many years and can distinguish what should be included and what MUST be included. A lay person may not know the difference between statutory (required) language and optional language.

Just remember, whatever you set out in your final decree is just that FINAL. It takes filing a motion to modify if anything changes -- including custody issues, asset divisions, etc.

If there are substantial assets (real estate, retirement funds, stocks, bonds, etc.), I recommend NOT doing a DIY. You could end up screwing yourself financially AND tax wise.

Last edited by princessmeggy; 07/28/10 03:29 PM.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
K
OP Offline
K
We are in Texas.
Everything is seeming to be agreeable including custody, assets, who stays in the house, etc... We've had some disagreements, but have been working through them amicably.

We really don't have a lot of equity (liquidity) to divide. We just bought our house 18 months ago, just bought a new truck 6 weeks ago (made 1 payment) and her car is paid off. Mostly we've agreed that I'll take the debts and she keeps her car because it's really the only liquid asset we have...and its worth MORE than my 401k at work - so no need to divide the 401k either.

That's why we feel it is actually a pretty simple situation...we just don't have much "stuff" to fight over.

T
T
I'm also in Texas, and have friends who are lawyers. They basically told me that if you have kids or any substantial property (like a house) you really need to at least have a lawyer look over your paperwork.

I have a house, mortgage in my name only, but since I'm a "married woman" in TX, there's some confusion about deeds & such. So I'm paying for my attorney to do the paperwork and make sure there's no issues with the ownership of the house.

"When people show you who they are, believe them." -- Maya Angelou

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation