Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 44 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 43 44
Neak #2267387 10/30/09 01:56 PM
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N

Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Three Trees, aka Absalomina

If you aren't already familiar with the 3 Trees story, here is a link to a short version. http://ruthann1.com/ThreeTrees.htm

Since I was playing the piano and there to practice every day, Mr. C was allowed to take part with the Princess, the Dervish, and Val. Of course there were other kids too, but they were not nearly as important.

"Ahhhh, what a day to be a tree!" Young Dervish started the whole play off with rapturous exclamations of how wonderful it was to be a tree in the forest. He and "Chester" were adorable together.

The girls' solos were beautiful, and you would hardly have suspected the days of feuding that led up to their angelic little voices soaring above the orchestra.

Ah yes, we had a live orchestra. We'll come back to that in a moment. There was one teeny little phrase where Val disregarded the identical advice her mother and I had separately given to her, and it didn't sound like it worked out too well for her. Fortunately I am a big enough person that I didn't feel at all smug. (Ha - we all know better than that one, don't we?) But I am pleased to report that the second and third times she sang the tricky part, she did what we suggested and sounded lovely.

And Mr. C, aka The Woodcutter's Assistant, executed his part with flair, but thankfully minus the overacted hunk of ham he had started rehearsals with. Scene-stealing, ad libbing jokes over the lines of established character... In the end he integrated himself seamlessly into the ensemble cast.

So the orchestra. The strings hadn't been able to make any practices at all, though I had practiced Thursday evening with the 2 guitars and 1 banjo. Oh, and the song where I played the tuba went great! No clue how the recording picked up the instruments, but live it was fantastic. Pizzicato strings, rousing banjo, and oom pah pahs.

When I practiced with the guitars, one of the songs they were supposed to play the second verse by themselves, as the only accompaniment for the soloist. It had been a hard page turn for me there, so I was glad to let them have it. And, since I wouldn't need those two pages anymore, I taped them together to make it easier to turn the page.

Not until I was playing the song did I really start having misgivings about whether or not I should have taped the pages together. What if the guitars forgot? No, no, they won't forget.

Just at the right time I paused to let them take over. Silence.

No way to untape it - I had used sturdy packing tape, having lots of that on hand just now. In for a penny, in for a pound. I plunged on by memory, not perfectly but not disgracefully, either. How grateful I was at that moment for the days of rehearsal.

Right after that song, it was time to take up the offering. I relaxed. This was going to be easy! The strings and guitars and everybody were going to play "Let All Things Now Living" (tune from "The Ash Grove"), while I just played a few arpeggios on the piano as a backdrop. I had even had a chance to practice a bit. What could be simpler?

Were the strings starting first? No, they were looking at me. Fine, fine. I plunked out an intro. It was rather puzzling, but they didn't join me the way I expected. I could hear the guitars playing softly, but no one had the melody. Fine, I wasn't expecting that, but I suppose I can play the melody myself till someone else joins me.

And then there is the play's director standing beside me, putting several more pages of music up for me. Very calmly, "Whenever it's a good time for you, could you modulate into the key of D, please?" (I was in F.)

We played it together the second time through, the strings and I.

Tina said she knew something had happened by the way we were all grinning at each other afterwards, but didn't really know what was wrong.

It was the climax of the play, where each of the 3 trees learns how their dream really did come true. And then, the most touching moment of all, where Val came forward carrying a cross, to explain that her dream had come true....that now she would always point the way to heaven.

Except that her cross, a good 8 or 10 feet tall, tangled in the manzanita branches of Mrs. Silva, a large and wise old tree. So I am playing beautiful and touching background music to wring tears from every eye, and there is Val, caught in the branches, grunt, push, pull, tug, thwackety thwackety thwackety. And, a faintly heard, stage-whispered, "Shut up, Dervish!" rotflmao

Thus the play came to a very memorable end.

Epilogue

Then the children went and ate lots of goodies, had a hyper evening, and keeled over at 10:30 pm, still twitching.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2267415 10/30/09 02:45 PM
I
I
Neak, I love reading your story. So uplifting. You are full of grace and humor--two necessary survival skills. Can you remind me of the ages of our dear children? I'm trying to picture them in their respective tantrums and want to make sure I'm close...

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
imanotherone #2271045 11/07/09 11:24 PM
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Sorry, got a bit distracted and took a while getting back here. Kimmy, I'm not sure how it happened, but you've got me convinced, too.

Ima, I was privileged to record God's triumph. smile

Our dear children are 12, 10, and 8, and not too far from another round of birthdays. We took them out on a drive this afternoon, and let each of them take a turn behind the wheel. We were out on a little goat trail that runs the line between MT and ND, lots of fun!

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2294543 12/26/09 12:09 AM
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
So AJ got some extra money right before Christmas, a couple months earlier than he expected it.

Instead of running right out to buy the large flat-screen TV he's been eyeballing for the living room, so he can get rid of the giant 200-lb dinosaur he currently uses, he decided to get me a....

Canon Rebel digital camera with professional capabilities.

He's wanted to get me a really good camera to replace my other one since even before we were married, and now he's done it!!!

The lenses, oh me oh my, the lenses! Both are zoom, one a wide-angle, and the other a 70-300mm. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! The guy he bought it from even stuck in an extra flash unit for free.

A huge HUGE kisskisskiss to my love-unit-depositing hubby. Merry Christmas, Sweetheart!

As with Paul Harvey, there's always a rest of the story.

AJ did manage to get himself a smaller flat screen for our bedroom. Men! What can I say???

grin

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Five years out from D-day, and the biggest news is that my honey is going to cook me some yummy cous-cous tonight! Love Deposits and Vegetable Deposits all in one...

laugh

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
M
M
Love Deposits and Vegetable Deposits all in one...

Tsk, tsk, tsk Neakie dear...no need to bring up your sex life now.

wink

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
P
P
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
Tsk, tsk, tsk Neakie dear...no need to bring up your sex life now.

I know, right?
Tacky naughty
Tacky naughty
Tacky naughty

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
banghead banghead banghead

I was speaking NUTRITIONALLY of course!!!!!!!

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
S
S
Originally Posted by Neak
Real love is what he had,
Until he gave himself away,
To a secret, sordid lover,
Total wickedness held sway.
In despair, his wife, she begged him,
Not to tear their home apart,
Going to another woman,
Leaving her a broken heart.
In the dark of night she wept,
Kept her watch throughout the day,
Every waking moment needed,
Pleading God to let him stay.
In the hour when all was darkest,
Good seemed lost, and evil won,
Suddenly the wayward crumbled,
Saw the light, embraced the sun.
A year ago today you posted this. I'm so glad there is another good year between you and D Day.

But what are pigss?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
*snort*

Why, they are sswine, of course! You know, animals that are porccine.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I'd almost forgotten my classic poim, lol.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Most funny stuff goes on my blog, but since my blog is strictly G-rated, and this is too bad for FB, I'll put it here instead. blushblushblush

AJ was busy playing a game online with a bunch of his friends when I went in the bedroom to change into my jammies. I knew he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever, so I just plain changed, no flirting or anything.

Just as I was almost decent, he turned and made a quick grab for me, saying, "We won!"

Happily surprised, I oozed up next to him and whispered seductively (so the kids wouldn't hear), "I'll let you win something..."

He got this horrified expression and clutched his headset like a coy maiden, whispering back, "This mic is live!!!!"

I tink I go die now.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
It. Serves. You. Right. mr eek

tl, the blush

T
T
I told your father about your little adventure. From the cackling that followed, I don't think you should be expecting sympathy from him any time soon. Hope you weren't waiting!MrRollieEyes

tl

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
It could always have been worse. Sigh.

And I want to know, if you can't get sympathy from your own flesh and blood, where can you????

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
It could always have been worse. Sigh.

Yeah, he could've been on video.

And I want to know, if you can't get sympathy from your own flesh and blood, where can you????

Beats me.

tl

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Me too. sigh
rotflmao

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
P
P
Most funny stuff goes on my blog, but since my blog is strictly G-rated, and this is too bad for FB, I'll put it here instead. blushblushblush

AJ was busy playing a game online with a bunch of his friends when I went in the bedroom to change into my jammies. I knew he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever, so I just plain changed, no flirting or anything.

Just as I was almost decent, he turned and made a quick grab for me, saying, "We won!"

Happily surprised, I oozed up next to him and whispered seductively (so the kids wouldn't hear), "I'll let you win something..."

He got this horrified expression and clutched his headset like a coy maiden, whispering back, "This mic is live!!!!"

I tink I go die now.

rotflmao rotflmao

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
W
W
That's just too funny, Neak. clap

E
E
I've spent the last couple of days reading this thread from start to finish. Thank you Neak, Neaksis, and T&L for sharing your wisdom and humor with so many. I hope each year is better than the one before, until you reach happiness you never dreamed of.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2399446#Post2399446
FBS- me, 53
FWH-53
Married 34 yrs
DD 27 and 30, DS 19 (disabled)
after 2nd DDay, filed for D Dec 09 (me)
6-6-10 WH moved in with OW
7-3-10 WH returned home
taking recovery one day at a time

"Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See I am doing a new thing!
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland."
Isaiah 43:18-19
Page 37 of 44 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation