Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45
M
M
Originally Posted by MrAlias
My hope is that whomever she finds to counsel her/us that that person is onboard with the concepts here or has very similar philosophies and they become a part of what her and I work towards in the future. I am educated on the failures and successes of marriage counseling having been here for a very long time and hearing all of the great posts that make this so clear for me. So I'll be sure to bail out of any counseling that sends us down a bad path.

She is just trying to find someone who won't ask her to do things that are good for her marriage. She doesn't like that MB has rules that put the marriage first. But, you wont have a marriage if she doesn't do that, regardless of who tells her.

Your posts are very irrational, MrA. You are back in conflict avoidance mode, spinning as fast as you can.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dr Harley
I need some quick advice.

I posted on the forum about a company Xmas party my wife committed us to which takes place tomorrow evening. It's a dinner and if people want drinks they can purchase them.

In a perfect world my wife would admit to her drinking being a problem and agreeing not to go to this party. I myself enjoy visiting with these folks and it's a nice gesture the company puts forward. It's a very small company very family like and friendly.

My wife will go without me if I tell her that I think we should skip it. The forum says I shouldn't go. I thought I'd make the best of it and try to make it a fun but no alcohol night.

MrsAlias continues to not drink but also continues to be a bit cold to me. I figured this as an opportunity to show her that we can have fun but don't need to drink to do it.

Making a demand that we don't go will make her extremely angry and I feel will make matters worse. Me staying home doesn't provide the opportunity for us to be together having an enjoyable time. I'm trying to move us back together by continuing to look for ways for us to connect.

Can you please provide your thoughts?

Originally Posted by DrHarley
My general reaction is that your wife should not go at all, but if she goes, you should go with her. It will not be fun for her if you expect her to avoid alcohol. And she may deliberately do some of the things that bothered you even though she isn't drinking. It's a lose-lose situation for you. The fact that your son got a DUI should reinforce your position that your family should all be alcohol free. There should be no alcohol in the house, and when you have guests over, you should not serve alcohol.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The purpose of the Marriage Builders web site is to help you to create and implement a plan to resolve your conflicts in a way that will restore and sustain your love for each other. While many of my suggestions run counter to intuition, hundreds of thousands of couples have found that they work if they are willing to create a plan using my Basic Concepts. My Basic Concepts introduce you to my perspective on marriage, and how I go about creating plans that help make marriages successful.

What I wouldn't give to, once again, create and implement a plan. I've made attempts over the years to put the good doctor's plan into effect in our M. Only to find out, after making a joint concerted effort to use MB, that she still isn't on board, isn't a believer.

It is very disheartening to go home every day to a life where there is no mutual plan and a wife who provides a fairly cold shoulder. I'm spending my energy trying to create a MB type R best I can but there is little desire on her part to use the POJA, POUA or PORH. I'm left wondering what, if anything, is going to give that moves us in a direction of being romantically in love again.

She has acquiesced to my request of not drinking while being resentful and openly displaying her emotions to that effect. There has been no communication that indicates how long she'll remain a non-drinker and certainly no sign of how long she'll remain resentful.

I'm taking her out on a date tonight. A movie and then maybe a coffee, hot cocoa afterwards. Date night so no R talk.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The point being is if I were able to have this plan there would less need for me to ask for advice on how to resolve these conflicts that arise.

The answers would work themselves out using PORH and POJA.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Hi MrA, I am glad you are communicating with Dr Harley; hopefully he can help you work this out. Getting your wife to stop drinking is a monumental step.

What is your plan if nothing ever changes?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It breaks my heart to say it but I don't think I can live with her if she decides drinking has to be a part of it. While there may be opportunities to negotiate other parts of our marriage and improve on them the drinking has really become a trigger for me and creates all kinds of negative thoughts for me. It makes it hard to look at her in a favorable light.

I've seen enough of her over the years have trouble letting go of habits, especially the bad ones.

I haven't really explored how I would make that step of separation. Doing so will put our entire family in a tailspin of change (financially and emotionally). I don't know where I'd go, what I could afford to do, etc.

I've heard many people being told they should make those plans. I haven't done so yet. I'm clinging to the fact she isn't drinking and hopeful she won't ever again. I'd love for her to decide she doesn't want to drink instead of not drinking just because I asked. I know it's not my fault we are in this predicament yet I feel I'm on the receiving end of the all the bad sentiment, etc. I do have my supporters but I wish my biggest one was my wife.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
As far as her and I not being able to create a romantic marriage ... separation may be our only option. If she cannot put this little issue behind us and work towards something fantastic I wouldn't want to settle for what we have right now.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
As far as her and I not being able to create a romantic marriage ... separation may be our only option. If she cannot put this little issue behind us and work towards something fantastic I wouldn't want to settle for what we have right now.

Gotcha.

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Update:

Friday I took the Mrs out for a bit. We went to see a movie. She was quiet still chilly. After the movie I asked if we could go do something else, like find some hot cocoa and something to nibble on. She said no. She just wanted to go home. Got home and she headed straight downstairs to watch TV shows with our daughter. Obviously didn't want to be around me.

We went to bed around the same time and I asked if I could ask her a few questions.

I started with a statement. "It appears you are very upset with me still and don't want to really do much with me. I'm feeling a little lost as I don't know if we have anything for a plan to work this out."

"I am still angry.".
"That I've asked you not to drink?"
"That and because you spoke to our kids about the drinking and told them you were thinking of separating."
"I see. And you think I shouldn't have told them".
"No. That's just wrong. You've just added more anxiety for them. Now they're worried about us splitting up."
"I see. Well I figured our relationship greatly impacts them and that they should have as much information they need so they can respond accordingly. Also I was looking for support as your drinking is a problem for me. I feel they have a right to know that too and they can respond how they see fit."
"What you and I do is no business of theirs."
"I don't understand? We're their parents. Are you saying we should shelter them from the truth in an effort to protect their current feelings? How do you think they'll feel if and when we approach them to say we're splitting up? There would have been a lot of shock for them."
"There is nothing they can do to change what happens between you and I."
"Hmm. I guess I see it differently. I think now that they're aware they can talk openly to you about how your drinking affects them and they can also persuade us to work on our M."
"I still think it is wrong and I am still very upset that you did it."
"I'm sorry. I am trying to save this marriage. That is why I did it. You have been cold to me since I asked you to stop drinking. You're civil but cold and practically ignoring me most days. I have been trying to interact with you but it doesn't seem to help. We don't have a plan and I feel lost and not sure where we're going. What are we going to do, if anything, to fix this?"
<silence>
"Last we spoke you said you were going to seek your own counseling. Do you still plan to do that?"
"I have set up an appt but can't get in until February."
"Oh, OK. I had no idea. Is this something we're doing together?"
"No. I'm going alone. ... at least initially".
"Alright. And what is this person?"
"She is a family and marriage counselor."
"Ok. I hope she has a good plan for helping couples fix their marriage. What do we do in the meantime?"
"I don't know. I'm resenting you right now and although it comes out that way I am not trying to punish you. I don't go home thinking I'm going to be mean to you."
"Gotcha. I hear what you're saying but it is hurtful. It's hard for me to continue to push for some positives. I'm hurting from the whole drinking thing and now I'm having to live with your resentment and the behaviors exhibited from that. It's hard for me to see a light at the end of the tunnel."
"What would be your plan?"
"My plan would be for you and I to work the program we learned about. We didn't follow through the first time we tried. Your statements to me in the recent past tell me you don't believe it works."
<more silence>
"Anyways that's about all I wanted for now. I just wanted to know something was going to happen. I'm hoping we can make this work. I know we can be happy and have a romantic marriage. I love you. I hope you have a good night."
"I love you too. Good night."

The next day we went our separate ways for a while. She needed to find an outfit for her Xmas party. Yes we went. Her, my son and I went to the party (he works there part time). We had a very nice time. My wife was in a good mood. We had some nice conversation even with each other.

She's been a little less cold since we spoke Friday night.

I continue to treat her with respect and kindness and look for fun things to do together. I don't know what the future holds. Not sure what's going to come out of this counseling that won't happen for weeks upon weeks.

I started a conversation with her sister a couple weeks back and this weekend she provided some insight. Seems my wife wants what she has.

Her and her alcoholic H don't do much together. He tries to control his drinking. He does stuff for her. They cohabitate but also have fun together teasing each other etc. Seems that's enough for them to be in love with each other. She does the best she can knowing he admits to be an alcoholic and continues to drink.

My sister says if the positives of her don't outweigh the negatives then maybe I'm asking her to change too much and that maybe we just aren't right for each other and should call it quits. My wife has told her she just doesn't think whatever she does it will ever be good enough for me.

I don't know. All I ask is that she try to maintain a healthier lifestyle (eating and booze related), we rid our home of what looks like hoarding, we align our schedules so I'm not the only cook in the house and we spend more time together having fun and we build a romantic marriage together where my needs are met regularly.

I guess for my wife that's asking too much.

Last edited by MrAlias; 01/09/17 01:04 PM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
B
B
Did she drink at the Christmas party?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No. She won't drink because she knows I don't want her to.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The counselor she made an appt. with had a cancellation and my wife will be going in today to see her. Not that I think anything will come of it. I will ask her questions about it when we're home tonight.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
My sister says if the positives of her don't outweigh the negatives then maybe I'm asking her to change too much

I know your sister means well, but this is the kind of destructive advice that most "marriage counselors" aka divorce facilitators give. Dr. Harley warns about it here:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
Since most marital therapists fail to address the romantic love issue when they try to help couples, their approach to conflict resolution usually fails to build love, and as a result, the couples divorce, even after "resolving" some of their conflicts.

An example of this current effort to "resolve" marital conflicts is found in a book by Jacobson and Christensen, Integrative Couples Therapy (Norton, 1996). In this training manual for marital therapists, couples are to be encouraged by their therapists to lower their marital expectations by becoming more understanding of each other's dysfunctional background. Irreparable wounds inflicted during childhood should inspire empathy toward a thoughtless spouse, not disappointment. Awareness of each other's limitations should lead to acceptance of each other's behavior and a willingness to meet one's own needs, instead of expecting each other to meet those needs. The suggested goal of therapy is to teach each spouse to make themselves happy, and not look to each other for their happiness. While this approach to therapy may resolve a couple's conflict, it most certainly will not lead to love. When couples follow this advice, few love units are deposited and many are withdrawn. In the end, the couple is likely to divorce.

The same sort of advice is given in Getting the Love You Want by Hendrix (Holt Rinehart, & Winston, 1988). While the book title seems to address the issue of romantic love in marriage, the author's strategy for couples is to learn to accept each other's marital failures, rather than doing anything to overcome them. I guarantee you, if you follow this strategy, you will NOT get the love you want.

My experience, and the experience of a few others who are carefully studying what it takes for a couple to be satisfied with their marriage, proves the opposite of what is currently being popularly recommended. Instead of spouses trying to lower their expectations, I believe that they should raise them. Instead of spouses learning to meet their own emotional needs, I believe that they should expect to have them met by each other, and met in a professional manner. Why? Because that's what it takes for a couple to be in love and stay in love. Furthermore, couples should not waste their time trying to "understand" each other's failures, but rather, they should try to overcome them as quickly as possible so the issue does not have time to drain their Love Banks.
here

I hope you aren't giving into the pressure to relent on your request for her to stop drinking. I realize its very hard for you to deal with conflict and hope you realize that conflict avoidance only leads to more conflict down the road.

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the feedback Melody.

I misspoke, it's my sister in law not my sister. I am fully aware of what she does with her life is very different than what I know to work.

The world needs a plan. Dr Harley is the only one that I know of that has a fool proof plan for making a marriage great IF BOTH PARTIES are engaged in following the plan.

She hasn't been pressuring me to release my request for her to drink. I'm not positive but I'm thinking I may be seeing a light at end of the tunnel on this subject. But then again that may just be wishful thinking.

I did encourage her recently to considering seeing a professional about the drinking. Alcohol counseling is an eligible HSA expense. Marriage counseling is not. Her claim was she didn't want to see a professional and we can't afford it. So now she knows it's just that she doesn't want to that is the obstacle.

Time to end this stupid debate her and I have had in the past about the level of her drinking problem. The other day I said this to her when the subject of alcoholism came up. "Your drinking hurts me and I'm asking you to not drink. If you have an addiction you should get yourself some help and get that resolved. I'll be here to support you in any way I can. I want us to get past this and move on to the great marriage I know we're going to have.".

Last edited by MrAlias; 01/10/17 09:51 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Just keep standing strong!! You are doing great...

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
She gave me the name of her counselor. Another EFT, EMDR therapist. Drumming up trauma from the past. Man I hope not. We all know that that really doesn't help.

This lady counselor does have experience with chemical abuse patients so maybe there is some good that could come out of her counseling.

Last edited by MrAlias; 01/10/17 11:01 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
This lady counselor does have experience with chemical abuse patients so maybe there is some good that could come out of her counseling.
There won't be, though, unless your wife says that she is addicted.

If your wife tells her that she is a perfectly reasonable drinker, who likes the occasional glass of wine at home, and likes going out with her friends for one or two, and that you are trying to control her and ruin her fun by stopping her from drinking altogether, just because you've stopped, and that you ruined Christmas and New Year by letting her know that you'd be miserable if she drank, the counsellor will not act as a "chemical abuse" counsellor. She will act as an individual counsellor who tells your wife that she needs to take back control of her own life.

The counsellor will only know what your wife tells her.

I know it isn't your fault your wife is using her. I just don't want you to hold out any hope for a good outcome.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Understood. Thanks SC.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
MrsAlias said the counseling session went well. First visit was more debriefing than anything of course. However she did say her and the counselor talked about ways to help MrsAlias with her anxieties.

I am invited by the counselor to come to her next session if MrsAlias is up for it. I told her to let me know if and when she decided that it was OK for me to attend. Sometime in early February.

Meanwhile she continues to be in good spirits and is very pleasant around me. So at least that stressor is gone for now.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I forgot to mention that I will be bringing my MB knowledge with me to every session with this counselor. I'm going to encourage this lady to help us use this program to its fullest so her and I can move forward. I'll just have to be careful how I bring it to her attention. Basically I will spout the MB principles as if they are my principles (I am a firm believer).

If she's not on board and provides us with harmful advice and strategy I will have to have a discussion with her about her not being able to help us solve our marital issues.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation