Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2468459 01/26/11 12:22 PM
F
OP Offline
F
this movie is a must see! For those BS's out there this movie takes the story of Wallis Simpson and King Edward Vlll and shows it for the disgusting, sordid tale of betrayal it truly was and portrays King Edward Vlll as a man of weak character and lacking of morals. All my life the story of those two cheaters story has been portrayed as "romantic". NOPE it is DISGUSTING.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
OP Offline
F
BTW, the part about Simpson and King Edward is NOT the main focus of the movie. It is about King George Vl overcoming his stuttering and fear of public speaking. It is an uplifting story during dark times in England.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
K
K
I agree completely. The major focus of the film is about overcoming adversity and abuse. The main character has a loving wife who supports her husband. It's a great example of what appears to be unconditional love.

The side story of an adulterous sleazy woman chasing after a weak man just makes it even better. It's rated R for language, which I find much easier to deal with than sex scenes or violence since I'm in the process of getting divorced and am living a chaste lifestyle.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
M
M
Have not seen this yet, but certainly plan to. I've read a fair amount about Edward and Wallis, and I think that if she had not been his excuse to renounce the throne there would have been some other one. He did come across as very weak and incompetent, and as horrified as the British were by his abdication it must have a relief to many to have him gone - and obviously, the Monarchy did survive.

Yeah, Wallis was pretty sleazy and then acted like she couldn't understand why so many people objected to her. Sound familiar?

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
S
S
Originally Posted by Mulan
He did come across as very weak and incompetent, and as horrified as the British were by his abdication it must have a relief to many to have him gone - and obviously, the Monarchy did survive.
I don't know...

The few biographies I've read suggest that Edward was well-liked. He was good looking and confident. He has a great time as the Prince of Wales representing the monarch and meeting crowds of people. He didn't seem to resent the role that was coming, as far as I can remember reading.

The younger brother who eventually became king was not very handsome and had a crippling lack of confidence. He was very glad that his older brother and not he was born to be king.

The books I read suggested that his wife Queen Elizabeth ostracised Edward and Wallis for the rest of their lives mainly because she so resented their forcing her H to take on the role. He was thrust into the limelight with all his insecurities on view. She had been good at giving him confidence and support, but she would not be able to shield him from public duties and she hated that he was so exposed by his brother's weak will.

They married and had their kids never expecting Bertie to become king. It seems to have come as extremely bad news to both of them that this role would fall to him.

Elizabeth does seem to have steered him into popularity, though. He seemed to bring the public out of their disappointment at losing the real king and getting poor compensation in his less gifted brother. The couple and their daughters were eventually much liked.

Actually, come to think of it, I read a lot of this in that scandalous book by the American author Kitty Kelly. Do you remember that? It was never published in Britain because it was bound to attract a libel suit.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
and obviously, the Monarchy did survive.

I for sure hope it doesn't survive Queen Camilla - hopefully, her ascension to the throne will be the tipping point to ditch that whole excreble family and Australia will become a republic.

Yeah, Wallis was pretty sleazy and then acted like she couldn't understand why so many people objected to her. Sound familiar?

Yup.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
F
OP Offline
F
Queen Camilla
*shudder* A sleazy ho as Queeen...lovely

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
P
Wallis was a very shady lady during WWII.

From *WIKI LINK*

World War II

Following the outbreak of war in 1939, the Duke was given a military post in the British Army stationed in France.

According to the son of William Edmund Ironside, 1st Baron Ironside, the Duchess continued to entertain friends associated with the fascist movement, and leaked details of the French and Belgian defences gleaned from the Duke.[86]

When the Germans invaded the north of France and bombed Britain in May 1940, the Duchess told an American journalist, "I can't say I feel sorry for them."[87]

As the German troops advanced, the Duke and Duchess fled south from their Paris home, first to Biarritz, then in June to Spain.
There, she told the United States ambassador, Alexander W. Weddell, that France had lost because it was "internally diseased".[88]

In July, the pair moved to Lisbon, Portugal, where they stayed at the home of Ricardo Espirito Santo Silva, a banker who was suspected of being a German agent.[89]

In August, a British warship dispatched the pair to the Bahamas and the Duke was installed as Governor.
Wallis performed her role as the Governor's lady competently for five years. However, she hated Nassau, calling it "our St Helena", in a reference to Napoleon I's final place of exile.[90]

She was heavily criticised for her extravagant shopping trips to the United States, undertaken when Britain was enduring such privations as rationing and the blackout.[26]

Her racist attitudes towards the local population (she called them "lazy, thriving [censored]" in letters to her aunt) reflected her upbringing.[91][92]

In 1941, Prime Minister Winston Churchill strenuously objected when she and her husband planned to tour the Caribbean aboard a yacht belonging to a Swedish magnate, Axel Wenner-Gren, whom Churchill stated to be "pro-German". Churchill felt compelled to complain again when the Duke gave a "defeatist" interview.[93]

The British establishment distrusted the Duchess; Sir Alexander Hardinge wrote that her anti-British activities were motivated by a desire for revenge against a country that rejected her as its queen.[94]

After the defeat of Nazi Germany, the couple returned to France and retirement.

The [censored] word about her racist attitudes is "The N word".

M
M
Sugah, I did read the Kitty Kelly bio and it was fun, tho I was not sure how much to believe. From my other books, it may have been that Edward was quite popular among the average folks who only saw him "on stage", while the rest of the family and advisors were rather quietly horrified at the idea of him becoming King and probably *were* somewhat relieved to have him gone, though I hear that his abdication haunts the Royal Family to this day.

And yes, his wife, who became Queen Elizabeth and later QE the Queen Mother, did resent Edward and Wallis for dumping the burden of Kingship on Bertie and possibly hastening his death. Tho' Bertie did comport himself very well through WWII, as did his wife and daughters, and it was more likely his heavy smoking that hastened his death. Just sayin'.

Also, I don't think Camilla will ever have the title of "queen". Thought I read that somewhere. Though she'll never have the title she truly deserves, will she?

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
P
P
Though she'll never have the title she truly deserves, will she?

Queen of mudville?

F
F
Originally Posted by faithful follower
Queen Camilla
*shudder* A sleazy ho as Queeen...lovely
It wouldn't be the first time.

In fact, Queen Elizabeth II may be the exception and not the rule...

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
B
B
Also, I don't think Camilla will ever have the title of "queen". Thought I read that somewhere. Though she'll never have the title she truly deserves, will she?

Latest news I heard was Prince Charles saying she could be Queen. It's gradualism - a way to 'handle' dissenters - like boiling a frog.

QE2 has a lot to answer for in the way her scumbag son turned out. It's a rotten corrupt system.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
T
T
I cant wait to see the movie but it doesn't reach HK screens until 3rd March. Will resist the urge to view a pirate copy.

As for our wonderful Queen Elizabeth II, I don't think she can be entirely blamed for her son's path in life. I think the royal family is changing now - we can see that in the forthcoming marriage of William and Kate Middleclass.

S
S
Originally Posted by tucktummy
the forthcoming marriage of William and Kate Middleclass.
rotflmao

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Oooh, sounds just the thing for a b'day/valentine's treat. We're going tomorrow night.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by staytogether
Oooh, sounds just the thing for a b'day/valentine's treat. We're going tomorrow night.
hurray

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
L
L
Maybe, just MAYBE, the future King of England from the joyous marriage of William and Kate will NOT have a Face that is three feet long....

Just hopin'

And the movie was great!

LG

S
S
Well, I see that the Brits kicked y'all's butts at the Oscars last night.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Oscar who? smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
My uncle Oscar, that's who!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation