Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Advice:

BUY THIS BOOK *link*

Read it aloud, taking turns WITH your husband.
One chapter every few days.
Discuss as you go along.

Your M is salvageable.
Do the work.

H
H
Originally Posted by Pepperband
HHH !!!

Pep is right, you are very immature

I did not say "very". naughty
I think her immaturity is partly age related, completely out of her control.
And, immaturity partly related to her being with one man since age 18.
There was no time on her own without a man.
A developing woman needs time to rely on herself in order to mature, IMO.

and you are walking around with your head in your cooter

I disagree.
I do not see this as an "over active cooter" issue. rotflmao

What has not been mentioned, and I suspect is very important here, is the problem of curiosity.

As in:
"I wonder what it would be like to be with another man other than the man I've been with since age 18."

A completely age appropriate, albeit immature, way of looking at things.

The cooter comment was good for a chuckle, but I don't think it's actually relevant.
What do I know?
I was a 24 year old woman once.
A bazillion years ago. MrRollieEyes

A bazillion-and-a-half.

Though, Pep, I believe that were you to wrap that "curiosity" issue back around to MB, what we are going to acknowledge is that the curiosity was built by inappropriate behavior with male co-workers - the lack of boundaries.

*edit*
I have had the curiosity about other women previously in my life, but it was my lack of boundaries - letting the conversation get too personal, too lose - that lead that draw to develop. In my case, I told my FWW that I realized that I could, indeed, fall into an affair if I were in the wrong situation. I did that at about the same age as this young lady. It wasn't that I had never been with anyone other than my FWW (met at 17, married at 21), but the fact that I let women at work get to close to me. I let that continue for some time, but never; called, texted, emailed, or spent time alone in a "private" space - and all of that was intentional. It was a dangerous game.

*/edit*

"What would it be like to x/y/z with OM/OW" is a natural consequence (in a coworker situation) of spending too much of a work day having personal and/or intimate conversation with coworkers of the opposite sex. That consequence is partially driven by age and experience, but more heavily driven by...?

Boundaries.

The placement of this young lady's cranium is really only relevant to her overindulgence in male attention.

dance2

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 02/16/11 11:30 AM. Reason: I like ice cream

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Though, Pep, I believe that were you to wrap that "curiosity" issue back around to MB, what we are going to acknowledge is that the curiosity was built by inappropriate behavior with male co-workers - the lack of boundaries.

Curiosity is just there.
I think curiosity is innately human.
Just observe little kids in their natural state. (when they don't think others are watching)
But, you are right, the lack of boundaries gives curiosity opportunity for serious mischief.

Let's talk about other boundaries. Not sex, for a moment.

Some person, early 20's, might have a mild curiosity about smoking pot.
That curiosity about "what it feels like", just lies dormant for a long time, until an opportunity arrises.
Here is where you are more than correct, HHH.
Without a strict "no drugs" policy (a firm boundary if you will), there will probably be pot experimentation.

Everyone of us is curious about some experience we never tried.

We (H and I) try to talk our kids out of a variety of experiences for curiosity's sake rotflmao Even the experiences I had myself.
think Maybe those most of all rotflmao

S
S
You are getting some great advice and posts by some of the most esteemed vets on this forum and for that you are lucky.

I noticed something in one of your posts. You said that you believe that it is OKAY to flirt with other men. You used this in the PRESENT tense.

Here is the quote from your first post
Throughout our relationship (5 years prior then 11 months of marriage) I have never done anything like this before. There have been people who I have flirted with, but I have never felt the need or desire to take it further, or make it regular (and I think that's where the line is drawn - an occasional flirt is ok, but constant flirting with the same person is not).

On occasional flirt is NOT okay. This is a boundary you are going to need to put up PRONTO.

Read all of the articles and concepts that are contained n this site and read SAA, along with other books. Learn what you can, ask questions here and POST OFTEN.

Let the people on this site guide you to where you need to be. When something they say offends you, look into WHY? Have they touched a nerve? Read the posts more than once, you may be surprised what you will learn.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
S
S
Originally Posted by MrsBHunt
an occasional flirt is ok

As you read more on here you will realize how WRONG this statement is.

Flirting is a way of 'testing the water' and signaling to another person your sexual interest. Every single affair starts with poor boundaries and flirting!!!

Given your history, need for male attention and poor boundaries, it will be vital for you to understand how dangerous flirting really is so you can put an end to it at once.

P
P
Here is Anatomy of Adultery - How it starts.

Flirt with your husband.
Him, and him alone.

occasional flirt is ok

No.

Last edited by Pepperband; 02/16/11 01:24 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Crikey I need to learn to not step away from my thread when you american's wake up! There's been some great advise in the last couple of pages, and I'm really thankful for that.

I was worried that coming here as a cheating wife I would just get flames, and I'm so glad that's not been the case.

- pepperband I think you�re my new favourite!

You�re right, immaturity has been one of the words BH and I have used too, and I think not just in terms of the attention seeking and affair, but other simple aspects of our marriage such as house work and finances. Though one thing is for sure, going through something as painful as this certainly opens your eyes to consequence and what�s really important in life. I hope that I will mature as a result of this, and I feel as though I already have.

As for what I want to be when I am a fully grown woman, this is also something BH and I have talked about (good to know we�re on the right track!), not specifics as I think I need time to think about what I want to be, but we have said that who I end up being will be largely dictated by who I want to be, and we both agree I don�t want to be who I am right now.

Generally comments for everyone!

Re work (and seeing the OM), I have suggested handing in my notice, on multiple occasions, but each time BH and I talk about it we agree that the financial strain if I lost my job would put too much pressure on us. We would lose our house. I am however looking for another job, have applied for some and have an appointment to speak with an agent on Friday.

Re reading up. I have read a large number of articles and threads on here and other websites, some more useful than others, and BH has purchased the book for us to read through together. I also saw another book by our counselling service today but we are waiting for Surviving an Affair to arrive to make sure it�s not the same thing twice.

Also re being offended - I was a more than a little worried about coming on here, specially when I saw some of the posts in BHs thread, as I thought it might be a bit of a flaming session, but i'm really glad to see that everyones posts have been constructive. Obviously there are some that are harder to read than others, and I've been frustrated by some, but all in all it's been great to hear both sides.

WW (me), 24
BH, 28
Married 11 months, together 6 years when BS discovered
PA w/ co-worker
D-Day Feb 12 2011
Trying to rebuild trust
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Men are very judgmental about promiscuous women and you are very naive if you don't know this. A few years back there was a young woman at our company who supposedly gave a driver a blow job in his car in the parking lot. I don't know what really happened, but I suspect something DID happen and she became a laughing stock at work. What was noticable is that she behaved very unprofessionally around men [a flirt] and everyone talked about it.

In my early twenties a female manager at work went through a divorce and suddenly started wearing low-cut blouses and undergarments that emphasized her bosom and acting flirty toward several of us twenty-something males. She was in her forties or so.

We were not impressed, let me tell you. It was discussed.

Extremely unbecoming for a manager to act that way toward lower-level workers. In fact in retrospect that was probably grounds for a sexual harassment complaint.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
T
T
Mrs.BHunt,

One reason you are probably not feeling flamed is because you actually seem to be listening.

It's funny, you are thankful and encouraged....and then a justifying WS comes and thinks the same advice is "mean."

Keep being honest, give your DH time time time and empathy. Follow the good advice you are getting.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Tawandabelle, I guess I just want as much help as possible!!

Speaking of help, I've been drafting my letter of NC, but I'm not really sure how much it's supposed to say - is it supposed to be polite? ask them to respect our decision or tell them to F off? do I go into detail? or is it as simple as "leave me alone now"

at the moment, it is as follows (names removed):

BH and I have been working really hard the last few days to decide whether it is worth fighting for our marriage. From my point of view it is, and although he is yet to make up him mind, I need to start my bit now or we will never get passed this. One of the main things we agree I need to do is draw a line under this and stop all communication with you. No more texts, emails, phone conversations, chatting at work. I love my husband, and want desperately to rebuild what I have destroyed. Contact with you is only going to make things difficult, so I would ask that you respect my decision, my husband and my marriage and ensure that you do not make any further contact with me either.

edit to add - BH is going to have a look at this tonight too, I have text him it but he is out at the moment and I am keen to hear your opinions?

Last edited by MrsBHunt; 02/16/11 04:05 PM.

WW (me), 24
BH, 28
PA w/ co-worker
D-Day Feb 12 2011
Trying to rebuild trust
T
T
I would leave out all the stuff about your DH not being sure. I would tell him that you have realized that the choice to have an A was absolutely wrong, and then pick up with the no more texts, etc. sentence.

E
E
I hate to say this, but I am a newlywed and a former bw (divorced b/c of my xh's narcissism and his repeated affairs) and I do not buy your excuse Mrs. B Hunt, of simply saying "you don't know how to stop" and that if my dh of six months had done this to me, there would be either a quickie divorce or an annulment.

You like attention. And you also damn well know how to stop flirting. I was a single gal for seven years, and know myself, that if you keep your pants up and your dress down you won't get into any trouble. Compound your cheating, with your cheating AT WORK, and you may get fired too.

Sorry, but in this case, with the time being married here being less than one year and this rampant cheating going on, my thoughts are your H moves on and finds somebody who has good boundaries, believes in fidelity, and doesn't think that flirting when married (or even when in a relationship with somebody else) is a good thing.

Usually I'm 100 percent on board with the "lets work this out" and never say this, but seriously, as a newlywed myself, knowing that less than one year of marriage my partner was NOT ONLY cheating blatantly with the opposite sex, but having sex with MULTIPLE partners, his butt would be out the door and I'd have him served the next business day the law office is opened for business.

Last edited by peachyisback; 02/16/11 05:03 PM.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
H
H
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Curiosity is just there.
I think curiosity is innately human.
Just observe little kids in their natural state. (when they don't think others are watching)
But, you are right, the lack of boundaries gives curiosity opportunity for serious mischief.

Let's talk about other boundaries. Not sex, for a moment.

Some person, early 20's, might have a mild curiosity about smoking pot.
That curiosity about "what it feels like", just lies dormant for a long time, until an opportunity arrises.
Here is where you are more than correct, HHH.
Without a strict "no drugs" policy (a firm boundary if you will), there will probably be pot experimentation.

Everyone of us is curious about some experience we never tried.

We (H and I) try to talk our kids out of a variety of experiences for curiosity's sake rotflmao Even the experiences I had myself.
think Maybe those most of all rotflmao

Never took you for a closet humanist, Pep!

shocked

But, that's pretty much it. It's not enough to just leave something at curiosity - keep sniffing the chocolate bar, and soon enough you are going to take a bite. Best bet is to just stay the he77 away.

I was worried that coming here as a cheating wife I would just get flames, and I'm so glad that's not been the case.

Oh, you will slip. Just keep in mind that it's loving correction and not pure, gleeful abuse at your cost.

Until the books arrive, I suggest you two read the 4 part "Coping With Infidelity" Q&A articles.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

E
E
Geez. Everybody has curiosity. But ACTING on it is what separates those mature vs. those who are immature.

Marriage is for those who are mature, understand that love is fluid, and that marriage has to be WORKED at, it will not always exist in the original super-heightened extasy state forever, but that it is wonderful, when treated as a priority and a SOLEMN vow. YOU give the MARRIAGE attention and it will remain loving and something you both treasure.

There are really attractive guys around me in this city. I work with a few really cute physicians too, but I RESPECT my dh and our marriage, and I don't even try to ever cross a line. Not at all. I VALUE my marriage, LOVE and RESPECT my H too much, and also know that "OTJ" relationships don't work.

If there are no children, a very short time married, and already MORE THAN ONE affair partner before the first wedding anniversary, I simply do not think the future bodes well for Mrs. Hunts' relationship.

Last edited by peachyisback; 02/16/11 05:29 PM.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
M
OP Offline
M
We have our first counselling appointment tonight, and it leads me to wondering what I have done.

Not what have I done wrong, by god do I know that! but what have I done since, to make it better.. have I really done anything?? Apart from keep the house tidy, get on anti depressants, sort my finance out and read a hell of a lot about what I need to do in future.. I don't know if I've done as much as I should have.

I've struggled with knowing what to do or say. I'm hurting, but he's hurting more, and it's my fault, so do I show that I'm hurting, or step back and hide that side of me. I desparately want him to come home, but I know he needs to be away for a while to work out what he wants.. so do I just wait for him?

I know I need to give him time, and I know that the amount of time depends entirely on him, but what do I do in the mean time except wait? I feel like I should be doing more, but I don't know what that more should be!

I wrote him a letter today to try and put some things down, but the more i re read it, the more it sounds so selfish, it's all about me and what i'm going to do and how i want to change.. and although this is my fault, surely this time should be about him.. do I hold off, give it him at a later date, when he's made his final decision? or will giving him it HELP him make his final decision.

today is a bad day frown

WW (me), 24
BH, 28
PA w/ co-worker
D-Day Feb 12 2011
Trying to rebuild trust
J
J

Hello MrsBH,

Why don't you start with letting us take a look at the letter and go from there...

It's really important to set the tone of what your BH can expect from you from this point forward in a positive way and avoid giving him any hint that it is still about you and your pain.

I know you would not do that intentionally but it could to him while he is so vulnerable.

Right now you want him to know it's about him...

and you trying to help him.

Jim

FWW 48 had EA and PA affair with my brother which ended in 2006. Me BH 53. Happily recovering with a new and better marriage through MB!!! My thread - http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2110024#Post2110024
N
N
I've struggled with knowing what to do or say. I'm hurting, but he's hurting more, and it's my fault, so do I show that I'm hurting, or step back and hide that side of me. I desparately want him to come home, but I know he needs to be away for a while to work out what he wants.. so do I just wait for him?

As a BS, I can say that I would have appreciated seeing a little remorse. Not that I wanted to rub it in my wife's face (well, sometimes I did smile ) but just to receive some empathy would have been nice.

So, no, don't hide your feelings. Isn't that how you got in this mess to begin with? I would caution that you don't portray yourself as a victim when speaking with your husband. Not that you would intentionally do it, or consider yourself to be the victim here, but sometimes we all get into the pity-party or "woe-is-me" mode.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

M
OP Offline
M
Jim - as BH is a member here I can't really post the letter up until he has read it.. so i guess i'm still stuck!

Thanks Northwood, I think I am struggling to hide how upset I am anyway, so hopefully showing a remorse wont be too difficult, and I am trying to be very concious of the victim thing, particularly as my husband worries alot about my mental health and I don't want to worry him as much as anything else.

WW (me), 24
BH, 28
PA w/ co-worker
D-Day Feb 12 2011
Trying to rebuild trust
H
H
We have our first counselling appointment tonight, and it leads me to wondering what I have done.

Not what have I done wrong, by god do I know that! but what have I done since, to make it better.. have I really done anything?? Apart from keep the house tidy, get on anti depressants, sort my finance out and read a hell of a lot about what I need to do in future.. I don't know if I've done as much as I should have.

I know I need to give him time, and I know that the amount of time depends entirely on him, but what do I do in the mean time except wait? I feel like I should be doing more, but I don't know what that more should be!

I wrote him a letter today to try and put some things down, but the more i re read it, the more it sounds so selfish, it's all about me and what i'm going to do and how i want to change.. and although this is my fault, surely this time should be about him.. do I hold off, give it him at a later date, when he's made his final decision? or will giving him it HELP him make his final decision.

today is a bad day frown

Well, think about this for a second; if your husband had hurt and betrayed you horribly, would you want him to smile all the time, like what he did wasn't a big deal, or would you want to know that he has remorse - that doing what he has done - to you - actually affects him, too?

At times, I almost believe that FWW hurts more about all of this business than I do.

I can tell you that at times, the tears aren't going to do much. He may be cold to your pain at times - but that is because he stands there and knows that YOU CHOSE THIS. He did not.

Some of those tears will make it through. Some of that pain he will comfort you through.

Just remember, it ain't about you. You had your turn, and when you let it be about you, you harmed your spouse.

Be there for him, be available, be present. Be silent when you must, and supportive when you can.

G
G
...I don't feel comfortable going into the reasons that the affair happened as I feel like i'm making excuses where I know there are none...
MrsBHunt, maybe you feel this way because you are making excuses. Read on...

...I have found that when I am low, I seek attention. I don't think that this is uncommon, but for myself this last few months I have saught attention from other men, and this is where the problem lies. ...
That's your main problem, alright. You have had no boundaries around your relationship with other men. You have not had a sound boundary to protect your marriage as something valued.

...So I sought attention from other men, and these have been men at work. I only flirted at first, and while they were flirting back it felt good, then suggestions were made and things started to go too far. ...
Try again. Try: "then suggestions were made and things started to go I chose to let things go too far."

...Flirts became more sexual, and eventually physical without me knowing how to stop them.
From some of what you've said on this & your subsequent posts, it seems like you want to own your conduct. But you need to own it fully. When people have affairs, like you did and like I did, there was no gun to our heads; no one slipped anything into our coffee that made us not responsible for our actions. You made a whole sequence of choices. Be sure that you're owning them fully. If you do, this will help your husband & give your marriage a better chance.

If you haven't started already, I suggest you get & read Surviving An Affair, preferably together with your husband.

When you are able to give your narrative (to yourself or to others) of how you got into affairs and that narrative no longer contains b.s. like that which I've highlighted, then you'll know you're making progress.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 630 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation