Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by kcsimpson99
Do you feel that telling me to videotape my wife's adventures and sell them on the internet leans more towards constructive criticism, or personal attack? Really?

Who has told you to do this?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
CV - part of my struggle is that it isn't "an" affair. Its more like a series of adventures. The latest having been cybersex with different men on Yahoo Messenger.

I have exposed activities in the past - meetings with other men, an e-mail between her and a man from a dating website, and just general discussions that I've had with her parents and her brother. They were very understanding - but were willing to do little more than listen.

Other than her immediate family, I did very little exposure. When things were at their worst, she was distancing herself from any close friends who valued marriage.

Things had gotten better, but I'm seeing odd signs again.

She claims she loves me and wants to be married. Obviously, I'm not so sure.

KC,
Do you know why you are seeing odd signs again? I'm a list person, so bear with me...

1. You still have not acknowledged it is an affair. some were cyber affairs, some may have been emotional, but I bet there is a PA in there as well. You need to some to grips with the fact she is cheating on you either over the web through e-mail chat or social networks, or she is cheating through giving her emotions and heart to someone else via personal or phone contact, or she is having a PA with someone

2. You never exposed her. Whether she is close to them or not, it needs to be blown wide open. She fears no repercussions so there is not impetus to stop. whether she is doing it consciously or not, she has you cuckolded.

3. Real love sets firm boundaries and says "you may go this far, but nor further". It does not walk over the other person, or deny them feelings of safety and hope. She is doing that by locking you out of her email, computer, etc... She is defining the boundaries.

My suggestion is to be rock-hard firm and lay the law down. Put the boundaries in place, don't waiver. Ever. It's hard to start with but gets easier. She will hem and haw, cuss, kick and scream. Most kids throw tantrums when u take their toys away and adulterous behavior is to say the least childish.

I'd start with these.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
I did and yes I was out of line with that. My apology. But after reading your last go around it riled me up a tad.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
C
C
Originally Posted by Hilsmonemoretime
No what you are being told is to MAN UP and GROW A PAIR. Or at least film all her escapades and sell them on the net so you can at least benefit from them...

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Melody,

I have gone back and re-read what you posted - many times over. And I still feel there was more personal criticism than help in your words.

And even in your few words above, I feel I'm being attacked again.

kcsimpson, you have not been attacked on this thread nor were you attacked on the last thread. I was not attacking you when I told you that you are an enabler. That is a simple truth. And until you accept that truth and stop that destructive practice, there is nothing we can do to help you.

At this point it feels hard to discuss things without feelin as though I'm arguing.

If you notice, with my "new identity", one of the first things I said was that I am an enabler.

M
M

Again, you were not attacked by me THEN and have not been attacked today.

Celticvoyager, he was told EXACTLY that on his last thread and responded with attacks on the posters.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
There's no use in admitting it if you don't do something to change it.

What is your plan to stop being an enabler? That's really what this is all about. Stop enabling and you can end the whole problem.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
Melody,

I have gone back and re-read what you posted - many times over. And I still feel there was more personal criticism than help in your words.

kcsimpson, you have not been attacked on this thread nor were you attacked on the last thread. I was not attacking you when I told you that you are an enabler. That is a simple truth. And until you accept that truth and stop that destructive practice, there is nothing we can do to help you.

At this point it feels hard to discuss things without feelin as though I'm arguing.

If you notice, with my "new identity", one of the first things I said was that I am an enabler.

Then how would that be an "attack?" And yes, you are very argumentative. That is pretty much all you did on your last thread. Other posters characterized it as "shooting at the rescue helicopters." When anyone gave advice you didn't like, you attacked THEM.

Can you give me any reason to believe you would listen to our advice NOW when you didn't in the past? What has changed?

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
CV - does your wife work?

Can you offer any advice regarding practical boundaries when dealing with a "disability."

Also, I DO believe she has had affairs. I DO believe that cyber-sex is full-on cheating and in no way appropriate.

And as I said above, I have exposed in the past to her family. But I must admit that - as with some of the group here already - I feel like a broken record for repeating some of the same things. At this point - to go back and "re" expose - to tell her parents that she has recently had cyber-sex online - I would just feel weak.

I don't know why or how I'm so "unusual." I know that there must be others like me - who hold on to hope too long. Who continue to believe lies from liars.

I know I'm not "that" special. And if I truly am the worst enaber that Melody and others have see in "nine years" (that's the line the put me on the defensive last time), then maybe I am a waste of cyberspace.

K
OP Offline
K
My plan has been to try and find other things in my life to focus on.

The best things got were when I was truly, emotionally ready to move on.

When it became real for me, my wife felt it. And she began to give me enough hope that I was pulled back in.

I still struggle with the overall timeline - 14 years of honesty and faithfulness weighed against 2 years of lies, emotional affairs, and who really knows what else.

C
C

Ok. So don't argue. move on with the discussion. What have you read on the MB site so far?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
Celticvoyager, he was told EXACTLY that on his last thread and responded with attacks on the posters.

Mel, just finished reading the thread (as much as I felt I needed to anyway). I saw what you are saying. There was a lot of defensiveness.

KC, I have felt me getting my Irish up once or twice. I find that instead of replying when i feel attacked, to step back, do something else for a few minutes and go back and re-read it. I am probably in the minority... I appreciate straight shooters. May not like it all the time, but I appreciate it. Might I advise the art of reading with understanding? Someone may not say something how we like it, but can we look at what is being said and glean the usefulness out of it?

So.... What has been implemented from the previous thread that has worked/not worked? I am curious.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
Man I feel for you Really I do. But bottom line you have to MAN UP. Enough is enough. I would sit down and calmly tell her you have had enough. Outline a devised plan and tell her this is required or YOUR out of here. No angry outbursts and cool as a cucumber. Cut off the cell and password all PCs so she cant go online. Tell her if she goes out she will find new locks and her bags at the door. Saddle up your boys and draw a hard line. I dont know how you can sit idly by and watch this action. I couldn't and wouldn't.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
K
OP Offline
K
Having problems with quotes and long posts making my screen jump...

CV - I've never done an offical Plan A or Plan B. I thought things were going better. It had seemed better going back to late November of last year.

I think my biggest (recent) mistake was in not demanding passwords, openness and transparency. This allowed her to slip back into old habits - just in a new way - using Yahoo messenger and some unknown cam website.

At this point there is a password on the laptop and on her phone. From a practical standpoint, how do I "make" her take them off?

K
OP Offline
K
Thank you Hills. For what its worth...

The cell phone is in her name.

Help me with the counter-argument here.

If I tell her I "need" the laptop and phone unlocked, she'll say I"m controlling and she deserves privacy.

Also - from a REAL-life, practical standpoint - how do you handle it if they leave to go out and you don't trust them? Do you truly pack their bags? Truly change the locks? What do you tell the kids when Mommy is banging on the doors at 3am and you won't let her inside?

C
C

CV - I've never done an offical Plan A or Plan B. I thought things were going better. It had seemed better going back to late November of last year.

I think my biggest (recent) mistake was in not demanding passwords, openness and transparency. This allowed her to slip back into old habits - just in a new way - using Yahoo messenger and some unknown cam website.

At this point there is a password on the laptop and on her phone. From a practical standpoint, how do I "make" her take them off?

Tell her simply that if she wants to stay she needs to either come clean or hit the road. You cant force her, but you can lay boundaries.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M

Here ya go!

[Linked Image from west-wind.com]

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
Can you define "come clean"?

Full access to the laptop and her phone? No more passwords? Tell me everything? Answer all questions?

All of the above?

And if she refuses to come clean, then do I begin the filling process? I really don't think there is much more that I can do...

K
K
Hey KC, I believe the only argument you will ever need in this situation is: Goodbye

K
OP Offline
K
Melody - thank you.

I truly never meant to shoot at the rescue copters (nice analogy by someone btw).

To be honest, I'm just afraid of what will happen if we divorce. Because she doesn't work, there isn't much of a "pie" to split. In some ways staying together - but living indepedently - sounds easier.

I know I'm not the first person to feel this way...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 1,215 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation