Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
I have been looking through the forums for some help on this. What are your opinions regarding getting some focused counseling with either of the Harleys for help through the recovery process? Will those of you who have used the counseling center let me know how it helped? Or is going with the Online MB the best option?

I understand that recovery is very difficult, and I'm on the roller coaster. My FWH and I are both on board with MB and have been attempting to follow through with the program principles for a few months now. Still, the pain is very difficult sometimes, and I am having a hard time managing it. I will look at my husband sometimes as though I've never seen him before and think "HE did THAT to ME!" And the downward spiral starts all over for me.

You forum vets and posters have offered so much awesome help to the people in need here. Thanks so much for all your time and wisdom.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
51, if both you and your H are on board here, I would try the online program. They will assign you a coach and guide you through the lessons. Many of us have gone through the program with great results.

Your feelings are very natural and will fade in time. That will happen much faster if you don't talk about it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, Mel. We went ahead and signed up for the Online course yesterday. Within a couple of hours, they already sent us our questionnaires. Last night, we started the online seminar. My FWH told me a couple of times already how happy is that we are working on this.

The not talking about A part is tough. The thoughts come and go in intensity. I hate it. But I know he could easily have become a total wayward like I see on the forum here. I am very sad about the A but glad it didn't beat us and that we have a good chance of moving past all the hurt.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

J
J
Every marriage has some kind of bump, 31 years is long time and worth fighting for.........
The emotions are going full force right now, but focus only on the positives between you and your husband for right now......It is a blessing that he is willing not all of them are you are a lucky woman...........
Don't let something that really didn't mean anything in the big picture ruin what you are going to have, a great marriage and a loving husband.......
I used to clean something when I was overwhelmed with emotions, for a while I had the cleanest house, it helped to stay busy............
I like what I see for the two of you.
jessi

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
M
M
51cd30,

I've noticed some of your posts around the board lately and liked what I was seeing. If you only knew how refreshing it is to finally, after many years and many battles, to see people posting strictly marriage builders advice and doing it well, you'd understand. MB forums weren't always this good.

I just wanted to say thanks for pitching in.

I see you signed up for the online program last June so you're 5 months into this...how is it working for you?

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
C
C
Wondering as well how the online course folks are doing. My husband was adamant that MB was full of crazies, he thought exposure was so horrendous lol. He is now listening to HNHN on ipod and we watched the infidelity video together . He is totally considering MB and dropping the home study course we are doing throuhh our counselor! Sooo excited.

Me: 34yrs
OM #1 ONS July 2010
OM #2 internet/text EA (9/10-2/11)

He: WH 38 yrs
OW#1 Former friend, 7 month EA & PA 1/11-7/11
OW#2 Ex-GF, 1 month phone/ FB EA & ONS 7/11

Recovering MB Online!

M
M
TExasSun, what kind of home study course are you doing through your counselor?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
We appreciate the Marriage Builders program and its concepts. MB is so down to earth and logical. After H's fog was gone, he was so grateful I had found MB that he was pretty much on board from the beginning of recovery. He wanted a good solid logical plan to recovery and a better life and so did I. Without MB, we wouldn't have a marriage worth being in. MB is the standard we follow now.

My H wishes so much he had spent his life being a better person. He is quite open now about admitting his overriding selfishness throughout our marriage, which resulted in tremendous amounts of IB and dishonesty.

If we had known about MB years ago, our marriage would have turned out very differently, we think. If he had continued with the LBs, I would have known to get support for doing a great Plan A, then entering Plan B. Either H would have stopped the LBs and started meeting my ENs, or the marriage would have ended, and we wouldn't have dragged out the LBs for so many years.

Instead, we went with traditional marriage counseling. They did their limited best, but with no extraordinary precautions ever discussed or instituted, we never did actually protect our marriage from H's poor boundaries with women. We did the "trust" thing. Yeah, that works real well.

The counselors we hired never discussed the seriousness of the dishonesty or addressed H's masturbation habit, which greatly harmed our sex life. No one said anything about transparency, shared passwords, protecting the marriage with extraordinary precautions. What a waste of money and time traditional counseling turned out to be! We spent time trying to discern why we were arguing and the hour was often so painful, we couldn't talk afterward.

Nearly a year out from D-day now, I went back on a tiny dose of ADs to help me get more on top of my negative emotions from the A. I hate that sometimes they seem to GRAB me and shake me, and it's as though they're in control and not me. That must change. I would have done this much earlier in our recovery, but we moved to this tiny remote island where we currently live--far from my own doctor and the rules for med and pharmacy changed, and I was overwhelmed with just getting through the A.

My H loves MB, because he knows that as long as he's doing his part to meet my needs, I will do my part to meet his. So his upside is lots of SF and a fun companion for recreation. So he has to go with POJA? He likes our life better this way, because there's much less cause for unhappiness now. Any decision we make is made with enthusiastic agreement. We think it's mind-blowing that Dr. H. says the goal is not conflict resolution but staying in love. That's revolutionary!

My biggest concern at the moment and actually all year long is wondering if H will stick with his commitment of making our life together using MB. So far, all this year, he has shown me a better man. He is very sorry for the pain he has caused and we have a plan. It's better than we've ever had in the past.

Anyway, I think I've said enough!

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

C
C
The Torn Asunder program by Dave Carder. I agreed to it (until H came around to MB) mainly because Marriage Builders is in the index of the program and many of the concepts overlap, I believe the author used MB concepts like.EP's etc. It is 10-12 weeks long, but MB is much simpler, UA+EP+EM

OM #1 ONS July 2010

Recovering MB Online!

M
M
Originally Posted by TexasSun
Wondering as well how the online course folks are doing. My husband was adamant that MB was full of crazies, he thought exposure was so horrendous lol. He is now listening to HNHN on ipod and we watched the infidelity video together . He is totally considering MB and dropping the home study course we are doing throuhh our counselor! Sooo excited.

That's great, TexasSun.

If your husband likes the audio HNHN, he may love the radio show. There's a free iphone app to play it that I think may run on his ipod. (I am a tech nerd, but know next to nothing about Apple stuff, so I can't say for sure.) Even if he can't run the app, he can still get the show to listen to.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
The Torn Asunder program by Dave Carder. I agreed to it (until H came around to MB) mainly because Marriage Builders is in the index of the program and many of the concepts overlap, I believe the author used MB concepts like.EP's etc. It is 10-12 weeks long, but MB is much simpler, UA+EP+EM

OM #1 ONS July 2010

Recovering MB Online!

C
C
Long way, hi! Quick ? Registering for MB program...is the online seminar and accountability program ($995) what you are following? Thanks!

OM #1 ONS July 2010

Recovering MB Online!

M
M
TS, I am pretty sure she is in the online program. I see her posting over there to Dr H.

Exposure 101

C
C
Thanks Mel! I just can't figure out why it's 50 bucks cheaper to add the Accountability program to the Home Study courses (which include Online seminar) Am I missing something?

OM #1 ONS July 2010

Recovering MB Online!

C
C
FYi...did I mention to you that my FWH first slept with OW immediately after I exposed the EA in Feb.? I wish I had evidence of PA (they had kissed in Jan.) before I exposed. Would have been waaay more effective (I think) Is that a typical response to exposure?

OM #1 ONS July 2010

Recovering MB Online!

M
M
Thanks Mel! I just can't figure out why it's 50 bucks cheaper to add the Accountability program to the Home Study courses (which include Online seminar) Am I missing something?

I have no idea. Isn't there a phone # you can call? I would call and see what the difference is.

Exposure 101

M
M
Is that a typical response to exposure?

No, because he didn't do it because of exposure. He just used that as a way to blame you for his bad behavior.

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
I think I remember a radio show in the last month wherein Dr. Harley said they were adding a couple of features to the Home Study course. For example, now it's possible to view the Online Seminar as part of the home study course. In the past, it was only for the folks who paid the $995.

I believe the private forum is for the Online Seminar folks (those who paid $995.)There's a lot of good info on the private forum that is answered only by Dr. Harley.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

I
I
We love listening to MB Radio but find all the focus on infidelity triggers us and often leads to meltdowns on my part (we're over a year in recovery from my FWH's A). Does anyone else have a problem with this?

L
OP Offline
L
Yes, that happened to us as well. We still listen to MB radio, but we decided not to listen to the infidelity ones together. When H comes home at night, I look at the tags for each section and that's how we decide what to listen to.

Other triggers for us are shows about independent behavior-previously a big problem in our marriage. I had to stop bringing up his past behavior while listening to the broadcasts, since he completely agrees with MB principles now. He realizes now that compared to the MB standard, we were really in the pits. He gets that now, so I don't want to continue raking the past over the coals. It's just too painful, now that we're in recovery.

If you go to the archive and look for the previous day's broadcast, you can just listen to the shows regarding all the other valuable info, like POJA and UA time, etc. That way you and he won't be unpleasantly surprised.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation