Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 64 1 2 3 4 63 64
W
W
I don't know what we're having tonight.

I'm supposed to be making orange chicken with veggies and brown rice.

But what I really want is a giant chef salad with bleu cheese dressing.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
C
OP Offline
C
My husband left for a business trip this afternoon, so we had a nice brunch featuring a frittata filled with linguica sausage (my husband picked it out -- I'm going to need to explore some Portuguese recipes!), the remaining orzo & grilled veggies, chopped jalapeno, cheddar, and a leftover grilled tomato half. Served with flour tortillas, salsa, and the chimichurri sauce from last night. And a side salad. It was tasty, but orzo is too small a pasta for frittata -- it disappears! And I should have shredded some additional cheese onto the top of the frittata instead of just mixing it into the egg. Next time!

I will have leftover frittata to serve me for the rest of the week!

Edit: This meal was specifically intended to be part of our UA time. I can also see how it supports FS, since the best frittatas are made with odds and ends from the fridge (linguica notwithstanding).

Last edited by curious53; 06/12/11 05:42 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Tonight we are having grilled hamburgers and cole slaw and green beans with bacon! lashes

Homemade coleslaw: a sack of shredded cabbage from Sam's, throw in some dill weed, malt vinegar, and real mayo to taste. So yum!
We're grilling! Steak (gag) for H and the boys, chicken for me - devilled eggs and a fresh pasta salad, buns & butter. And then a rewatch of Perfect Storm - yes!

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Tonight we are having grilled hamburgers and cole slaw and green beans with bacon! lashes

Homemade coleslaw: a sack of shredded cabbage from Sam's, throw in some dill weed, malt vinegar, and real mayo to taste. So yum!
We're grilling! Steak (gag) for H and the boys, chicken for me - devilled eggs and a fresh pasta salad, buns & butter. And then a rewatch of Perfect Storm - yes!

yum on the devilled eggs! We are having steak [grilled ribeyes] and cole slaw for dinner tomorrow. Maybe I will make up a passel of devilled eggs too. laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Orzo with Sausage, Peppers & Tomatos...saw Giada making this on food network the other day and decided to try it.

Was easy to make and yummy! Kids and H (who doesn't really like tomatoes or peppers) all loved it smile

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...e-peppers-and-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
P
P
[grilled ribeyes] and cole slaw for dinner tomorrow. Maybe I will make up a passel of devilled eggs too. laugh

If we are able to get over your way when we come to Texas, I want THIS menu.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
[grilled ribeyes] and cole slaw for dinner tomorrow. Maybe I will make up a passel of devilled eggs too. laugh

If we are able to get over your way when we come to Texas, I want THIS menu.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You have a reservation at my dinner table! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V
All right, I have a worthy contribution! Tonight's dinner:

Bison pot roast
Mashed potatoes Barley and gravy -- the barley is a bit of an experiment...
Peppered cabbage
Chili-spiked green beans

Now if that ain't some stick to your ribs food, I don't know what is! And it is surprisingly not so unhealthy - just lay off the gravy...

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
H
H
If you'll excuse the source, all of these are nice quick recipes;

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/05/25/1-pot-1-pan-5-ingredients-5-minimalist-meals/

If you have yet to try Tilapia, it's time to get on the bus!

It's especially good with a peach/pineapple or peach/mango salsa, and seasoned with Old Bay seasoning.

Nom nom.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
If you'll excuse the source, all of these are nice quick recipes;

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/05/25/1-pot-1-pan-5-ingredients-5-minimalist-meals/

If you have yet to try Tilapia, it's time to get on the bus!

That looks FABULOUS and I am going to try that. I really do love tilapia. thanks for posting it!

Exposure 101

M
M
Chop up some mushrooms and fling them in that spaghetti sauce and it's good to go! YUM!

Good recipes, HHH!

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

K
K
Since we've been down in Cibolo, TX for the last week, all we've done is grill smile. Fajitas, steaks, chicken, corn, veggies, jalape�o sausages. It's been pretty awesome having steak, eggs, and oatmeal for breakfast every morning.

And gross to you all eating fungus. Y'all should just mix in some dirt to compliment the flavor

Last edited by kilted_thrower; 06/14/11 04:10 PM.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

C
OP Offline
C
My husband is out of town, so I'm cooking for myself. I hope this serves as food for thought for those in Plan B/Plan D who need to be good to themselves. Now is the time to eat stuff your spouse didn't like and/or didn't serve or didn't let you serve.

First, you need to know two things:

1. My husband takes blood thinners and so is not allowed to have too much vitamin K. That means that leafy green vegetables are out when he is at home. I try to pig out on them when he is away.

2. I love to play the game where you pick out a few items in the refrigerator and figure out how to make them a meal.

My goal tonight was to make a dinner that included a leafy green (the more vitamin K the better) and linguica (a Portuguese sausage) leftover from Sunday's frittata. I discovered Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup.

Variations: I made about 1/3 of the recipe, but I sort of guessed at the proportions. I used chicken broth instead of water. I used leftover red onion in place of yellow. I sprinkled a bit of Spanish pimenton dulce (smoked paprika) into the soup when I added the kale.

It was delicious, and I look forward to having the rest for lunch tomorrow. I ate it while watching my favorite chick flick: Kenneth Branaugh's Much Ado About Nothing.

I'm still trying to decide how to fix the rest of the kale. Most promising candidates are bruschetta, pasta, and sauteed with bacon.

C
C
I do a pasta dish with kale and red kidney beans that's delish. Here's a sample recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/pasta-with-kale-and-kidney-beans-161095

I do it as a vegan recipe (no cheese), and add onions.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
V
V
I have an Indian recipe that calls for kale and/or any other "greens" -- spinach, butter lettuce, red lettuce, whatever you have on hand.

Sadly, the only redeeming part is really the greens, (if you don't count the homeopathic benefits of Indian spices) -- the rest of the recipe involves potatoes and ghee/clarified butter.

If anyone's interested, I'll post the recipe.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
W
W
Tonight, I'm making dinner in the crock pot, which will free up more time for other things in the evening.

I put a pork loin roast and an onion in the crock pot with some green tomatillo salsa from Trader Joe's. I'll be serving it with refried beans and cheese, and a side of warm flour tortillas with more salsa for dipping.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
Wow, I had no idea you couldn't eat kale on blood thinners. My DH is on blood thinners! crazy Good thing he won't spring for the expensive lettuce, huh?? grin

I had the most delicious lunch today! I am working at home today and cut an avocado in half and filled the innards with my homemade chicken salad. It was great!! I am still full from lunch 4 hours later. I am going to have that more often.

I am really learning a lot from this thread, you guys! I can't wait to try the cajun tilapia and the frittatas. Keep em coming!

Exposure 101

V
V
Tonight: Indian food!

*Buttered Greens and Potatoes
*Spiced Cauliflower
*Spiced Bison
*Raita (yogurt w/ tomatoes and herbs)
*Rotis (Indian tortilla equivalent)
*Samosas

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
M
M
Where's the BEEF??

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Wow, I had no idea you couldn't eat kale on blood thinners. My DH is on blood thinners! crazy Good thing he won't spring for the expensive lettuce, huh?? grin

MelodyLane,
Please research the medications your husband is taking. Our experience has been that primary care physicians are really not well informed about this stuff. When my husband started seeing a hematologist, he learned that a lot of the advice that he received previously was misguided and/or incomplete.

But I need to admit that this topic is a trigger for me. My FIL died as the result of complications from his blood thinning medication. No one was at fault, and we're not bitter. But we didn't really fully understand why he died until a few months later when my husband was put on the same blood thinner, and we started researching it. Once we read about it more carefully, it became pretty clear what led to my FIL's death.

I know I sound like a crazy lady right now, and I apologize for that, but this is a topic I take very seriously. Please research the medication your husband is on. Also, there are new medications coming out now that may not require the same dietary restrictions. Our goal is to transition to the new drug eventually -- not only because my husband won't have to avoid vitamin K, but because some of the other scary risks are lower.

On a lighter note . . .

Homemade chicken salad served in an avocado half sounds heavenly!

Page 2 of 64 1 2 3 4 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation