Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2540891 09/03/11 06:56 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've done a lot of reading on the forum, and it has helped me get through this most difficult time in my life. I found out 4 weeks ago my wife of 14 years cheated on me with an ex-boyfriend. It had been going on for 2 months, until I was suspicious and found emails that are too explicit and painful to repeat.

We have since gone through many stages together, and are now trying to sort things out. The OM is now out of the picture. She says she will do anything to try to hold onto our marriage.

I've not read anywhere about what I can do in the 'short term' to try to not think about all the pain. I can only assume (and rightly so), there is no magic formula to recovery. The only time when I don't feel pain is when we are intimate, and we have been very intimate in the last 4 weeks. But during intimacy is about the only time that I'm able to not feel pain. At all other times when I am alone to think or even to talk to my wife about, it is so painful and raw. I really don't know if I can ever forgive her and this scares me, as I do love her deeply.

My second questions is around forgiveness. How can I forgive the person I love most for the betrayal she has caused. She is not meant to do this me. A big part of me doesn't want me to forgive, and to separate with her. I read many articles about life after divorce, and I know it isn't all rosy. I keep hearing from everyone to stay, and to try to work things out. Again, I don't know how I can ever forgive her.

Please help!

B
B
You are going through a very painful process. What were the reasons your wife gave you for her betrayal? You both need to get tested for STD's. Marriage counseling and individual counseling is a must.
Wait for people like Pepperband and Melody to offer up their sage advise. They will help you. Good luck.

M
M
Originally Posted by Cliffy177
My second questions is around forgiveness. How can I forgive the person I love most for the betrayal she has caused. She is not meant to do this me. A big part of me doesn't want me to forgive, and to separate with her. I read many articles about life after divorce, and I know it isn't all rosy. I keep hearing from everyone to stay, and to try to work things out. Again, I don't know how I can ever forgive her.

Hi Cliffy, welcome to Marriage Builders. I am sorry this has happened to you.

Are you certain that all contact has ended? How do you know? Is the OM married and if so, has his wife been informed of the affair?

The answer about forgiveness is that she should EARN your forgiveness. She earns that by quitting contact, changing her bad habits that allowed this to happen in the first place [usually inappropriate boundaries around the opposite sex] and commits to a program of recovery.

Check this out, it is a real eye opener and will save you alot of grief in understanding the subject of forgiveness: Can't We Just Forgive and Forget?

If those steps are not taken, you will end up with the kind of marriage IndianaBones describes in his thread. It will be a life of hell. See, most marriages do not ever recover from affairs. They stay together but they limp along in misery in a crippled version of the pre-affair marriage. Marriages that don't recover often experience repeat affairs and eventually divorce. Your marriage does not have to be like that if you use this program. And I do mean in its entirety. Those who cherry pick get very little out of it.

I would suggest getting the books Surviving an Affair and the workbook Five Steps to Romantic Love and folllowing the program in there. You can also access Dr Harley on his radio show. The radio show is FREE and is very, very helpful to anyone who wants to change their marriage.

It is perfectly natural for you to think about the pain. It is not going away over night. But working on recovering your marriage and never bringing up the affair again will help you get over it faster. Every time you talk about it, you trigger those feelings. So, please stop talking about it with her.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Just hang on.....the Veterans will be along here in time.

It's called a "Roller Coaster Ride" for a reason.

Hang on!!

In the meantime.....get into reading ALL the info on this site.....go to the BOOKSTORE and buy the book "Surviving an Affair".
Read it!.....then read it again!

We are here for you!!

BH(Me)= 55
WW(Her)=43
DD=24 (My step-daughter, been raising her since the age of 8, SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!!)
Married=13 yrs
Together=16.5 yrs
THIS IS MY STORY
WW moved out of the home = May 1,2011
D-Day=July 4, 2011
Dear Wife: I'm COMPLETELY CRAZY about you!.....as of Aug-2012 forget that last part....Good Luck to you and GOODBYE!!
"Mourn the woman she was. Know the woman she is."
M
M
Cliffy, welcome to Marriage Builders. I'm so sorry for the pain you are experiencing from this terrible affair.

Understand that what you're going through is normal. Healing from a devastating thing like this is a process, and it will be helpful if your WW (wayward wife) is remorseful and ready to help you heal.

Can you tell us a little more background? How old are you both? Any kids?

How did she meet up with the old boyfriend? How do you know they are no longer in contact? Is the old boyfriend married?

When and how did you find out about the affair?

I'm sorry to throw so many questions at you - I am a formerly betrayed wife, and I know the pain you are working through right now. But this info will help us to help you formulate a plan to recover your marriage. And the good news is that it can be done, Cliffy! You can get your marriage back on track and make it better than it ever was. We have tools here to help you do that.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

C
C
Hi Cliffy, sorry you have joined the club no-one wants to find themselves members of... but you're in the right place on this forum. Traffic can be slow on the weekends. Wait for the vets to arrive and start giving advice...

They will need some more information about your situation to be able to help... do you have kids, what steps has your wife taken to ensure affair is over (like no contact for life with OM). I'm not sure how much reading you have done, have you got yourself a copy of SAA? Make sure you read it.

Please help!

Whilst waiting for the vets, read this article... I am by no means anywhere near recovery myself so can't really answer about forgiveness but this article may answer some of your questions about steps that you both need to take. http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5042_qa.html

Hang in there!!!

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
M
M
This is a great synopsis about what it takes to recover from an affair, written by Dr Harley to a betrayed wife:

Originally Posted by DR Bill Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.

Your nightmares are only the tip of the iceberg. They are but a small reflection of the suffering you experienced when you discovered your husband's affair, and the fear you have that the suffering will be repeated. You have no assurance that the affair is over because you don't even know who the other woman is. You are being asked to trust your husband, who has already proven to be untrustworthy. For all you know, he could be working with her, or you could be going to the same church, or she could be
your neighbor. And since he won't discuss the details of how the affair took place, you have no assurance that another affair will not take its place.

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks bryanp.

In a nutshell, we've been trying to have a second child for 3.5 years, and the stresses of this has caused her to do this. Rather than talking to me about the pain she's going through (and I tried many many times), she sought solace in another man. He took full advantage of her insecurities, and one thing lead to another.

We've been tested for STD's. Negative. It's the first thing we did after I found out she had unprotected sex.

C
C
Oops, the vets have already arrived. blush

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
B
B
Cliffy,

If you were in the process of trying to have another child; wasn't she worried about getting pregnant by having unprotected sex with the OM?

T
T
Has the WW sent a NC letter?

Has the OMW been told about the affair?

How did you find out?

What steps are you taking to verify that there is NC?

Has WW been willing to answer your questions about the affair?

Does the OM live close by and or work with WW?

S
S
The first thing is not to expect the feelings to go away anytime soon. This is a deep cut into your heart and it will take lots of time to heal; many say up to two years and beyond. The good news is the sharpness of the pain becomes dull over time, and is not so intense so as to seem disabling.

One of the keys to recovery is the 15 hours of UA (undivided attention) you and your W should spend. This is critical to recovery. Spend that time together with no distractions and limit discussion of the A to predetermined periods, such as an hour, during the course of an evening. Dwelling on A conversations is stressful for both parties.

Your feelings are very real and very justified. Learning to function with this dark cloud takes some getting used to. Some of the best advice I received here is to remember the healing process is a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there and continue to use MB as a touchstone to keep you on track.

best wishes
sd

BH - me 53, ONS 1979
FWW - 51, 2 EA's, 1 PA
Last D-Day, Sep. 30, 2003
Last Contact/recovery began 2-26-04

***You can do anything with time and money...but remember...money won't buy you time!***
M
M
In a nutshell, we've been trying to have a second child for 3.5 years, and the stresses of this has caused her to do this. Rather than talking to me about the pain she's going through (and I tried many many times), she sought solace in another man. He took full advantage of her insecurities, and one thing lead to another.
Let me disabuse you of this misguided thought, Cliffy. She didn't have an affair because she was stressed by trying to get pregnant. She didn't jump into an affair because she was in pain from not getting pregnant. He didn't 'take advantage' of her 'insecurities'.

Your WW had an affair because her boundaries were poor and she chose to have certain emotional needs met by another man. More than likely the two of you slid into a 'comfortable' place and you both may have slacked off on trying to keep your marriage your No. 1 priority. That's when caring for important emotional needs can drop down on the priority list.

Your WW had an opportunity to have her needs met by another man. She took the opportunity. That's all it is.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
Thanks bryanp.

We've been tested for STD's. Negative. It's the first thing we did after I found out she had unprotected sex.

I hope that you are using protection since Dday. Unfortunately but you don't need the stress of raising a child now. And hate to add that I hope your WW does not appear pregnant soon due to paternity reasons. If WW does get pregnant the one thing that must be done is to keep this news from the OM and anyone that can tell him.

M
M
Thanks bryanp.

Thanks Cliffy. The real reason she had the affair is due to her poor boundaries around members of the opposite sex. Just the fact that she is in touch with an x-boyfriend demonstrates that. Her stress had nothing to do with it.

So, the first step is to realistically address why she had an affair and change those conditions. She needs to end her opposite sex friendships, delete any social networking pages and OF COURSE, not associate with any ex-boyfriends. Ex boyfriends are an invitation to an affair, as you have learned the hard way.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by shattered dreams
One of the keys to recovery is the 15 hours of UA (undivided attention) you and your W should spend. This is critical to recovery. Spend that time together with no distractions and limit discussion of the A to predetermined periods, such as an hour, during the course of an evening. Dwelling on A conversations is stressful for both parties

Bingo!! And the undivided attention worksheet is in the back of that workbook. I would tear it out, make copies and set down with your wife and make up a schedule. The MB program does not work without this step.

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Wow!

I never expected to hear back from so many people. Thank you very much for your words of advice and support. I am doing so much reading based on your suggestions, and bit by bit it is helping. Especially knowing that others have gone through this pain too, and knowing that there is life after this.

To provide more info on my situation:
I am 37 and my WW is 38. We have a 5 yo daughter. We've been trying for 3.5 years, and she blames me for starting late with trying for the 2nd child. We've been tested, and she is actually the reason why we haven't had the 2nd child yet (and I've never blamed or said this to her as I know how much pain that it would cause her). As she incorrectly blamed me, I've tried many many times over the years to talk to her about it and move forward. It worked a few times, but it always fell in a heap every time her period came. We never grew apart at anytime, and I won't say I have been the perfect husband. In hindsight I definitely could have done more, but when she's unwilling to talk to me about this as she 'blames' me, you can see how it was hard.

M
M
We've been trying for 3.5 years, and she blames me for starting late with trying for the 2nd child.

Cliffy, when a wife has an affair she typically manufactures grievances against her husband in an attempt to justify her affair. Wayward avoid taking accountability. Her complaints about you are a way to divert the blame to you. The reason she had the affair was very simple: she has shabby, inappropriate boundaries around men.

And I so hope you put off having a child for at least 5 years. It would be a disaster to your marriage and certainly not fair to your 5 year old. Her affair should be enough to take that off the table.

Exposure 101

M
M
How long married?

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Understand that my wife never intended to tell me, and said it was about to end when I found out and confronted her. Below is what she TOLD me.

My WW works like I do. She rarely travels for work, but 2 months ago went interstate for work. In her words, fate hate has it that she bumps into her ex-boyfriend on the street. She said hi, and left it at that. As she works for a large corporation, he managed to figure out her email address and emailed to catch up for dinner. She agreed and told me it was an innocent catch up night and that was meant to be it. She didn't tell me at the time she caught up with her ex.

A week later, he contacts her again, and conveniently tells her he has temporary work in the city that we live in (over 500 miles away). Apparently, it was meant to be in city for 11 days. 11 days got extended to a month, then 2 months before I found out.

He asked her out to dinner again, and she agreed and lied to me about having dinner with work colleagues. That night, they kissed.

From there, they communicated more and more everyday. She would spend her lunches talking to him.

Kissing turned into passionate kissing, touching and after a few weeks sex....I think you can guess the rest. What scares me is, in the emails I read, she told him many times how much she loved him. If you love someone, can you just go cold turkey on them like she did to him?

I think the OM is very manipulative. She confided in him about our problems and he conveniently confided in her about his relationship of 7 years - about how he's about to break up with his partner.

She never thought unprotected sex could lead to her being pregnant with him as they used the withdrawal method. Very naive and stupid, I know.

She has not sent him final letter, but has told him on the phone that she wants to be with me, and even if we divorce that she will never be with him. She has told me every time he's tried to contact - two times.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,097 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation