Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
M
M
Originally Posted by MrAmazed
[
Personally I believe her personal life and her professional life should be separate unless it was done at work which it wasn't. This has no affect on her competence and it would be unfair to have the possibility of having her fired. Sorry - don't agree at all on that one

Many companies disagree with you on that. Of course a person's private life reflects their character and in many companies is a major consideration. Immorality most certainly does have an effect on one's competance. Who wants to employ a liar and a cheater? For example, there are many positions, such as teachers, pastors, military, where their character does count. Teachers are around children, military have a code of conduct and pastors are expected to conduct themselves morally. In the military, adulterers are often court martialed.

Many companies don't want to employ liars and cheaters and that is just smart business. As a former recruiter in my last company, I assure you we took stuff like into account if it came up. [one local woman who was in an affair applied for a position and no one would touch her with a 10' pole] And when there were workplace affairs, the employees were terminate immediately.

So, you might believe it has no bearing, but often it DOES. Employers have a right to weed the bums out of their ranks. They are bad for morale.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
1. Her phone is a palm. Nothing is currently available for spyware unless someone here knows something I don't.

I would check with Brickhouse Security and flexispy and see what they have.

2. Phone bills are electronic only and I need access from Phone Co to do that. She is notified by Phone Co via text msg once access codes are changed (assuming I can guess her access code again). I did this once already and some how she changed it back even though I used a PIN she would not have guessed (an old address from childhood) she was furious as you may imagine. HA

Thats fine if you have to change the password. It should give you enough time to download and print all the bills. And why else would she change the password unless she has something to hide.

3. Polygraph? when/where? We are 4hrs from any metro area. How would that work - she'd simply say I'm nutz and I won't drive there to do it.

I would find one locally.

If you would place more emphasis on finding ways to protect your marriage instead of finding endless excuses about why you CAN'T/WON'T you might be able to save your marriage. But we can't help you if you refuse to help yourself.

It is going to take a much more proactive approach if you expect to turn this around. As you have learned, complacence is not helping your marriage. It won't fix itself on its own. You have to actually step up here and do some work. [other than finding an excuse to not do anything]

I am really not trying to find excuses. I have tried the spy technique. Fact - I have researched spy phone stuff - it doesn't exist for her phone. Fact - I cannot get access to her phone bills cause they are locked down. She is constantly using her phone so she'd know INSTANTLY. What good would that do?

I searched for polygraph in area - Not available.

Dont confuse me with being non ProActive. I've already looked into many of the things you have suggested. I unfortunately have a phone no one makes spy software for and we live in a rural area of the country.

I like the canned conversation above though thank you. And I have had some of those conversations with her. I just have not threaten to leave if she doesn't abide. I don't wanna give her what she is looking for I guess.

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
You have to actually step up here and do some work. [other than finding an excuse to not do anything]

Mel: Here is what I suggest. (plan)

You: Yes, but .....

Mel: This is why this has worked for countless others (explanation)

You: Yes, but .....

Mel: What we have seen time and time again is (examples) and that is why (plan) works.

You: Yes, but, that might make WW mad. Yes but, that won't work in my case. Yes but, we live in Timbuktu. Yes but, it's Wednesday and I never do things like that on Wednesday. Yes but, I wish she loved me.

banghead

Yup you are right. Maybe I haven't bought into this approach yet (ya think?) I do struggle with this approach. Other(s) I've sought advise from including a couple pastors and a marriage counselor use the GRACE of God approach and dealing with the "me" side. Its all very confusing and I had prayer for this in my prayer group last night so I can make the correct decisions. Your approach is like a frying pan to the face and I am struggling to believe in it even though it worked for 1000's here. IDK - I am still gathering info - its just my personality...research research research prior to pulling the trigger. Ugh!

Please don't get discouraged with me as I try to sort out this most difficult time in my life. Ugh Ugh! banghead

M
M
MA-
You have brushed aside the advice gleaned from the books and teachings of someone who has counseled 1000s of couples. Your situation is not new. Your reluctance to confront your wife is not new. Your lallygagging while she embarks on her fantasy cruise is also not new.

Its time to follow the suggestions that you have nicely shot down as they are proven to SAVE marriages in many cases. You cannot pick and choose which parts you like,my friend.

You need to get tough now.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
P
P
Please don't get discouraged with me as I try to sort out this most difficult time in my life.

If you get a medical diagnosis and treatment options are offered/explained ... do you complain about how difficult they are?
I do.
I was recently in hospital for a long time.
But, guess what, I had to make decisions based on the facts.
I could, and did, cry and feel sorry for myself, but I still had to take action and make decisions.

What plan are you in?

M
M
Other(s) I've sought advise from including a couple pastors and a marriage counselor use the GRACE of God approach and dealing with the "me" side.

Ask them for track record statistics, and references.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
L
Palm Treo 500v, Palm Treo 500w, Palm Treo 800w, Palm Treo Pro,

Does she have one of these phones?

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Palm Treo 500v, Palm Treo 500w, Palm Treo 800w, Palm Treo Pro,

Does she have one of these phones?

No its a Pre Plus with WebOS. I've looked everywhere and live chatted with folks that were recommended here

I
I
If she's refusing to be transparent or do EPs, you might as well make her next date for her.

She's keeping her options open - and she wants you on the back burner.

You used the phrase 'addicted to facebook' She is addicted to her affair an I would guess addicted to admiration. Its her top EN imo and people like this need high boundaries around men (I have a high need for admiration so I made sure only my h met this need)

OK, you like the 'work on me' technique (hopefuly these counsellors have good stats) - but we are telling you to work on you. You cannot force her to do anything. Nor should you. You should simply say 'I want a safe, monogamous marriage' and if she says 'no' You say 'Good to know. Bye bye'

You can encourage her with Plan A and allow her to see the extent of her bad choice in Plan B - but ultimately the choice is hers and the plans are for you. How she responds to her h, who does not enable, is loving, has self-respect, has limits, requires proof he is not being lied to - is up to her.

If her response is

WAHHHHH - but I want my facebook and guys telling me I look hot and I want you to be ok with it because I am so hot and its NOT FAIR!

Then you really have to let her enjoy the consequence of her inability to be a married woman. You need to tell her that she WILL lose you. But that you would rather she did what you need so you could stay.

THAT is working on you. It is not working on you to look the other way while she has a bit of her crack pipe online.

If it was me, the internet would be uninstalled by the time she got home.

And as for the poly, there are no planes where you live? or trains?

You could wait for the addict to tell you were she keeps her stash, the ful truth about it and how you could end her addiction but I think you are just going to have to make it happen.

Make it happen!

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
This is from the false recovery thread - which I suggest you read...

Originally Posted by Pepperband
A boundary is not defined as "something I don't like."

A boundary is defined as "something I will defend no matter what."

A very common question is, "How do I enforce a boundary? How do I make my spouse stop lying, how do I make my spouse stop dating OP, how do I make my spouse start taking care of our family instead of someone else's?"

The answer is: You don't.

Trying to "make" people do the things listed above is not enforcing a boundary. It's control, it's manipulation, it's laying down demands, etc. etc. etc.

And none of it works.

The answer to the question, "How Do I Enforce A Boundary?" is virtually always the same:

You remove yourself from the situation. You stop allowing the boundary trespasser to have any access to you at all.

This is what's meant by, "You can't control others. You can only control yourself."

You can't "make" your spouse stop lying to you - but you can remove yourself from their presence and no longer allow them around you until they do.

You can't "make" your spouse stop dating OP - - but you can remove yourself from their presence and no longer allow them around you until they do.

You can't "make" your spouse take care of your family instead of someone else's - but you can remove yourself from their presence and no longer allow them around you until they do.

Get the idea now?

Boundaries are for *you*. They are to protect you from people who would do you harm. They are NOT about "making" others do anything. They are about protecting *YOU*.

Castle walls don't make the invaders stop their cruel and destructive attitudes - but they do protect you from their intrusion.

Boundaries are castle walls.

And as far as anger goes, you will find that good boundaries will make much of it go away. Good boundaries really do make RAGE dissipate, because anger + fear = rage. Good boundaries keep you safe, and when you are safe, fear goes away. You will certainly have some righteous anger left, sure, but the RAGE will fade away because there is no longer the fear hanging around to fuel it.

Make sense?

N
N
It is obvious to any outside observer that she is still having an affair.

But until he gets pissed off enough to quit letting her decide how his life and his family's life is going to be, she'll keep on going.

Not much to add, MrAmazed, except that I've been down your road before. Looking back, I would have followed the advice that you've gotten from those here.

If you want the phone records, you GET the phone records. You tell her to give you the password. You're paying for the phone, too, right? You're married. It's called joint property and you have every freaking right to see those phone bills.

If you want her off facebook, you tell her to get off facebook.

If she doesn't want to drive to get a polygraph (or give you the phone records or close facebook), tell her to drive her butt to the courthouse and file for a divorce because you sure as hell aren't living like this anymore.

Ask her if she's ok with only seeing her kids 50% of the time? Is she ok with another woman raising them? What are you supposed to tell them when they wake up screaming in the middle of the night asking where's mommy?

Buddy, you've got to get a fire up your rear and I mean that in a nice way. None of us here are posting to degrade or insult you. We're doing it because we see the train coming and want you to get the heck out of the way.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

N
N
Originally Posted by indiegirl
You cannot force her to do anything. Nor should you. You should simply say 'I want a safe, monogamous marriage' and if she says 'no' You say 'Good to know. Bye bye'

I think that's where the OP is stuck--he's afraid to push too hard lest she leave. But to go forward with this, he'll have to be open to her leaving as a result.

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
If you will send your zip code to JustUss I may be able to help you. JustUss can send the zip code to me. Up to you. Only if you're comfortable.

I found one for a poster in Singapore. I can't imagine you're much farther out than that.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
It is obvious to any outside observer that she is still having an affair.

But until he gets pissed off enough to quit letting her decide how his life and his family's life is going to be, she'll keep on going.

Not much to add, MrAmazed, except that I've been down your road before. Looking back, I would have followed the advice that you've gotten from those here.

If you want the phone records, you GET the phone records. You tell her to give you the password. You're paying for the phone, too, right? You're married. It's called joint property and you have every freaking right to see those phone bills.

If you want her off facebook, you tell her to get off facebook.

If she doesn't want to drive to get a polygraph (or give you the phone records or close facebook), tell her to drive her butt to the courthouse and file for a divorce because you sure as hell aren't living like this anymore.

Ask her if she's ok with only seeing her kids 50% of the time? Is she ok with another woman raising them? What are you supposed to tell them when they wake up screaming in the middle of the night asking where's mommy?

Buddy, you've got to get a fire up your rear and I mean that in a nice way. None of us here are posting to degrade or insult you. We're doing it because we see the train coming and want you to get the heck out of the way.

All great advice Northwoods. I'm starting to lean... I cannot take it anymore and I am getting Pissed. Funny last night as I prayed for us with her in bed, she thanked me for being so patient with her. It is like a roller coaster ride.

BTW she didn't like my FB status Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" She probably thinks it about her, but really its about me. Her comment "whatever."

N
N
Funny last night as I prayed for us with her in bed, she thanked me for being so patient with her. It is like a roller coaster ride.

Sadly, it's probably a ploy to keep you in line and sounds familiar. I'm sure I heard something like that before, and many others would probably say the same thing.

BUT, I would say that you've got a shot at turning this mess around because, really, she would have already left if she wanted to.

BTW she didn't like my FB status Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" She probably thinks it about her, but really its about me. Her comment "whatever."

Your quote is funny, though her response reminds me of someone that plays nice if you're complacent but turns to sarcasm or lashes out if something negative/truthful is brought up.

Do you feel like you're walking on eggshells over there?

Me (BH)
FWW

N
N
...and you don't want to get LOUD and abusive when you tell her things. Just be matter-of-fact and believe in what you say. In case you missed it, I'll repost what Melody posted earlier. I suggest you have this conversation with your wife.

Originally Posted By: Melodylane
Set her down and explain to her that you want to have a romantic, loving, SAFE marriage and that you are not willing to settle for less and won�t stay in a loveless marriage. Tell her you are willing to give her an opportunity to earn your forgiveness. In order for the marriage to recover, certain things have to happen. This is what it will take to keep you interested:

1. no more nights apart or going out without each other - create a healthy, integrated lifestyle

2. complete transparency - cell phone passwords, etc

3. no more opposite sex friendships

4. complete honesty about her affair<s> � passing a polygraph

5. commit to a program of recovery that restores the romantic love in your marriage

Tell her "this is what it will take to keep me in this marriage." Whether your marriage ends up with success or failure will depend almost entirely on her willingness and ability to make radical changes. Her lifestyle must become absolutely transparent, holding nothing back. She is in no position to negotiate when it comes to extraordinary precautions, because those precautions are designed to prevent another affair and help you feel safe. She must also meet your emotional needs in a way that until now she has failed. Unless she makes a 180 degree turn in her approach to what it means to be a wife, your marriage won't recover, it will be a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking this approach, because if she won't do these things, you will have lost nothing except a loveless, abusive marriage.

When she tries to deflect and start an argument, just tell her that you won't let her drag you into an argument about this, that you're sorry she's upset but this is what she'll have to do to make you stay in this marriage.

Have a time period in mind for her making a decision. She'll do everything she can, probably, to avoid making a commitment.

What you do after that time period expires, be it one minute or one day, is up to you.

Me (BH)
FWW

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
Your quote is funny, though her response reminds me of someone that plays nice if you're complacent but turns to sarcasm or lashes out if something negative/truthful is brought up.

Do you feel like you're walking on eggshells over there?

Exactly - truth hurts - I keep telling her.

I
I
I'm starting to lean... I cannot take it anymore and I am getting Pissed. "

Good. But remember angry outbursts are as bad as enabling. YOu have to strike a balance using carrot AND stick. You stay cool - and firm on your boundaries.

She probably thinks it about her, but really its about me. Her comment "whatever."

I dont like her attitude at all. grumble

I think you have a rough ride ahead and while its not impossible, she will need a lot of tough love to get out the fog. She may decide to stay lost and you will have to leave her to it if it comes to that. Its her life and she can mess it up in any way she chooses. But she doesnt get to mess up yours, you see?

Last edited by indiegirl; 10/12/11 03:49 PM.

M
M
[

I find that very hard to believe. In most small towns and cities there are polygraph experts. Whereabouts do you live?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Why don't you contact your local police department or a local attorney? Don't make someone a priority who sees you as an option.
Her actions indicate that she has very little respect for you whatsoever. If you do not respect yourself then who will? Good luck.

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation