Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 48 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 47 48
C
C
Originally Posted by MikeStillSmiling
Just one of those ferocious down turns on the roller coaster.

We are working through it and will survive.

Yes, Mike, you will. The question is will you THRIVE? I think you have it in you. I can see it there.

Yes, she knows my options will always be there 6 months, 1, 2, or 5 years after d-day. And, I told her more than once PRIOR to d-day that with my dissatisfaction with our bedroom life that I will not stay around forever if her interest in sex stays as low as it was. And she knew that meant when both kids are out, I could follow. The laugh was on me as after each of those conversations, she would then go out and give OM the SF. You could imagine the AO that produced early on in this thing.

Well the last laugh is on her, right? Are you getting those things now? Is your bedroom life better?

NG-Your post above is particularly high level reading but I think I got the gist. Maybe knowing my options are always available to me is what keeps me here, perhaps youre right. Maybe its a mental trick to keep my non-antidepressant taking head on straight? Maybe CV is right and it will take every bit of 2 years (maybe more) to get that head to stop thinking bad things. I like the concept of out with the old, in with the new in marriage terms. I broached this topic before; how does one completely overlook past inpropriety (to use a word that doesnt do justice to what a lot of our WS have done) and start anew? Maybe the 2 years of purgatory Im putting her through, the virtual non stop SF she must supply/endure, and leash she wears per our EP is her penalty? After which, we start anew? Ive also said in the past, how much of this will take?

I think we are both right. Hang on to your options, but keep in mind that to fully recover, there will come a time where you pull those cards off the table. Don't ever expect to look past the impropriety... Affair. instead polan to look back on it in kind of a clinical sense... The hurt is no longer there... like remembering when you broke your leg when you were 8. You remember it hurt and that if felt like you'd never be better, but it doesn't hurt to think of it now.

I was already in a lousy mood when I saw the pictures of her wearing OM jewerly so it didnt take any bigger trigger than that. Maybe it was that her parents were wrapping up a particularly long visit and all that implies? We had time alone last night and talked about stuff and we moved forward. (not helping that I caught one of my kids' colds and Im ailing)

Mike... REST! You have time. Remember that. A few days off from a cold won't halt recovery.

This is not a wordsmith I married. And, maybe someone gave her that but I was impressed by her reply.

Word-smiths are made not born. It is the result of deep thinking and struggling to put thoughts into words.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
The gist of NG's post is the exact same as the recent AoM article I posted; saying that you are going to leave at a certain point in the future based on feelings you have today is only taking into account that you might feel the way you feel today that entire time.

It does not take into account every happy or exciting time.

It doesn't take into account family trips. Romantic dinners. Mind-blowing SF. Intimate chats. Bungee jumping. White water river rafting. Long drives. Afternoon naps.

So, if you only take into account being the lump on a log you are during a dip in the coaster? Sure, you are out in "XX years." Good luck being a lump on a log for that amount of time.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
OP Offline
M
Triple H,

I do like afternoon naps. And I like mind blowing SF.

They are even better in the opposite order. Wooohooo.

Anyway, alls good. Thanks for the words.

The ship is sailing smoothly after hitting some rocks.

mss

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
H
H
Thanks for the input.

For some reason, I've been feeling latety that

1. I've just had a gut feeling somethings not right, as if there's been contact.

2. Sad and angry, often thinking 'this wasn't supposed to happen to me'

I hope this season and all its triggers passes quickly, and I hope my doubts about whther the affair is truly dead or not are simply that.

H
H
Triple H,

I do like afternoon naps. And I like mind blowing SF.

They are even better in the opposite order. Wooohooo.

Anyway, alls good. Thanks for the words.

The ship is sailing smoothly after hitting some rocks.

mss

Brother, we as BS's have our own fog. In that fog we cannot see the way out of our current pain and suffering because that path is lost to our vision.

Watch the river that is RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BOAT, and ignore what may come in the week ahead.

Ain't no good if the boat sinks in 5 minutes anyways...

Stroke, stroke, stroke!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

H
H
This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was! Hm? What he was doing! Huh. Adventure. Eh! Excitement. Eh! A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless!

M
OP Offline
M
Both you and Yoda are too deep for me.

N
N
Both you and Yoda are too deep for me.

If Trip and Yoda tangle things up too much, how about John Lennon, in "Beautiful Boy" ?

Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans.

Actually there's another line in there that applies as well:

Before you go to sleep
Say a little prayer.
Every day in every way
It's getting better and better.

(Not today, but I do want to open up a future chat with you about FWW now being expected to "supply/endure" SF to/with you. Pop a flare here when you feel up to it.)

M
OP Offline
M
Im in a Starbucks between meetings, NG, whats on your mind about that line?

Before you start, that was a merely tongue-in-cheek comment about the SF my wife and I are enjoying. It was a shot at me that she must put up with it.

I just wish others in my shoes are able to recover or discover a new bedroom life like I have because in my most basic thought processes when I have her, I erase those there before me.

But, whats you thought?

M
OP Offline
M
I certainly may come off crude. I certainly may offend some with my attitude towards my recovery and the steps taken within.

While some BS may have had regular sex lives while their spouse carried on their affairs, mine was weak at best. And I complained. And I made it known on multiple occasions before dday that I wouldnt stick around forever if it stayed this way. I used lines like 'i can find someone who is interested in this aspect of marriage if you are not'. Meaning I was not going to spend my nights alone.

So, upon dday and learning of her secret sex life (and I dont give a hoot how much she downplayed it) I was furious. If my libido was low and I didnt have interest in her, thats one thing, but I virtually had to beg for it. OM didnt seem to or at least in the beginning I get the impression it was hot and heavy. I could not care less about the credit card he gave her and chit chat he gave her and all the rest. It was her ability to give him her body.

So, in MY RECOVERY, while I walk as close to the MB line of UA and meet her missing needs, I require, nay, demand a new woman sexually. As I always have communicated my needs to her, i continued to do so and I made it clear if I am going to ever get passed her affair, I need to know I have a committed partner is every aspect of marriage. And brother, bedroom life is way at the top of the list.

I got a little heat from a poster that my "demand" for it is a love buster. Having sex with another guy for 8 years is a zillion times the love buster even though its discontinued. A mere fleeting thought of her with OM, busts the heck out of any love I have for her.

Even with that, I called my wife from the road yesterday to ask her if she felt any 'obligation', any 'strong-arming', or any 'discomfort' or 'annoyance' or anything upsetting about having to be with me as what I termed compensation for her affair. I wanted honesty from her and I told her I would not accept any but the truth. It isnt like she hasnt turned my down a few times since d-day. She said she too needs our newly enhanced physicalness to get passed her actions.

We did talk about how our love making would no doubt become less frequent as we go, but she said in no way does she ever feel forced. I told her that would make me like OM towards the end as per her description and that would be the worst.

She is a beautiful lady and I tell her that a lot. Not so I can butter her up for action later, but because she is and despite a major crack in the road we are navigating, she is doing all the things she needs to heal me. And Im trying to heal her.

S
S
She said she too needs our newly enhanced physicalness to get passed her actions.

Mike: Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm asking in what I hope is a truly sincere way: Does she also say she loves your sex life now?

Yes, I agree that if SF is your top EN, you are entitled to have that need met. And if your wife is smart, she will meet it.

But I always thought the idea of MBs is that it's a two-way street. As in, your wife will WANT to meet your SF need, not because she's afraid she will lose you if she doesn't. But because she looks at you with love and is so close to you, she can't help keeping her hands off you.

And Im trying to heal her.

Honestly, I believe only she can heal herself. Only you can heal yourself.

What your doing with MBs is forming a tighter bond, a better marriage.

And, lastly, I'm reading some ... anger? resentment? in your post about sex with your wife. As in, I was denied for so long, by god SHE WILL PAY. Please correct me if I'm misreading between the lines.

Sincerely,
Sweetpea

Me: 47
BH: 48, previously married
Married: Nov. 27, 2004
DDay: Nov. 13, 2010
Kids: stepsons DS17 and DS13
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=35
M
OP Offline
M
Yes. There was anger. A ton of it.

Add humiliation, degradation, anxiety, hatred, isolation, ambiguity, and a million other things.

I again asked her today if she is enjoying what we have now in bed. I asked her if she would tell me if it was too much and was forced. She snapped at me and told to never ask that question. I told her I never want to hurt her. Thats the most important thing in my life.

I disagree with healing. Ask any of those BS whose cheating spouse cant get out of the fog if they can heal without their BS on board. I think perhaps after a divorce you can find some healing, sure. But, I think a happy post adultery couple need each other to heal if they want to survive.

N
N
MSS, obviously, I was not the only one anxious about your use of the word "endure". (It's not easy to determine how well and firmly a poster's tongue is stuck in his cheek, I guess.)

Using SF as a component of a strong relationship requires both parties to enjoy the experience. "Enduring" it would be a contra-indicator. If you are comfortable that your FWW is as fully committed to whatever SF schedule/regimen/routine you are enjoying, that's the important thing I wanted to emphasize to you.

W
W
Originally Posted by sweetpea2011
And Im trying to heal her.

Honestly, I believe only she can heal herself. Only you can heal yourself.

I disagree with healing. Ask any of those BS whose cheating spouse cant get out of the fog if they can heal without their BS on board. I think perhaps after a divorce you can find some healing, sure. But, I think a happy post adultery couple need each other to heal if they want to survive.

Mike, FWIW ITA w/you about the healing. If a couple chooses to remain together after infidelity, I think the best way for the spouses to heal is to each focus on healing the other, through care, time, committment, honesty, needs-meeting, and so forth. I would like nothing more than to help my H heal from what I inflicted on him, and I feel that he's the best qualified to help me to heal what is broken inside of me.

I think finding healing on your own is much more difficult, certainly not impossible, but at least from my perspective, knowing that what I did caused all this destruction, destruction that has not - and may never be - repaired, well, it makes healing on my own a little harder to come by, if that makes any sense.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
H
H
I got a little heat from a poster that my "demand" for it is a love buster.

Mike, I gave you heat only in regards to your advice to the poster INTERNAL PAIN. Your choice of wording was of concern and I was very specific about what I took issue with.

You and your wife are in enthusiastic agreement about SF and I told you that is what the MB program is all about! I don't consider what you have shared you needed from your wife in regards to SF to be a demand, I consider it to be a condition you expressed that you needed fulfilled in order to stay in the marriage.... IMVHO, there is a VERY big difference.

(BTW, IMO, The Mutually, Pleasurable, Radical Bonding, that you and your wife are experiencing is a good sign in recovery) smile

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
M
M
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
You and your wife are in enthusiastic agreement about SF and I told you that is what the MB program is all about!

For those of us who've wondered all this time, I think HerPapaBear just confirmed for us that SF is what the Marriage Builders program is all about. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
You and your wife are in enthusiastic agreement about SF and I told you that is what the MB program is all about!

For those of us who've wondered all this time, I think HerPapaBear just confirmed for us that SF is what the Marriage Builders program is all about. smile

rotflmao

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
M
M
I may replace the quote in my signature...

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
N
For those of us who've wondered all this time, I think HerPapaBear just confirmed for us that SF is what the Marriage Builders program is all about.

Can we get an "Amen" from SexyMamaBear? grin

M
OP Offline
M
I was looking at the calender and my 6 month mark post dday is around the corner. I reflect on the notion that I, at one time, made it known that I would decide on my future at that point. Was I to stay or was staying too much for me to handle?

Then, early on in my madness and uncontrollabe early days, I made a commitment mainly to the board that I would give it a year as the trauma would need at least that much time to diminish.

I will say that I will need every bit of the year. Im having a rough go of it lately and my mood shifts are relentless. Ive starting taking the anti-anxiety pills and debating internally to restart the ADs which I discountinued in Aug.

Im doing all I can to not involve her in my issues. It is so true that she really is doing everything in her power to meet my needs and I like to think Im doing for her too. But she sees it and as usual doesnt say anything. It reminds me of years passed during the affair when my desire for her and her lack of interest in me physically manifested in huffing and puffing from me and then to sleep angry and sexually frustrated. Its an avoidance/obliviousness that drove me crazy for years that I see again when my moods change.

Hoping its its a phase.

I cant escape the thought that my marriage is ruined. We are living a sham for the sake of the kids. This is my daily thought of late. Sucks.

Last edited by MikeStillSmiling; 10/26/11 11:58 AM.

Page 9 of 48 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation