Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Izz #2567426 11/22/11 09:40 PM
G
G
Izz,

I did go to the doctor for my annual exam and am clear of everything, so that is NOT an issue.

Not really, one person can be immune to HPV, yet transmit it to a third party, since HPV can cause cancer this is no trivial matter.

http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/cancer.html

God Bless
Gamma

Izz #2567427 11/22/11 09:40 PM
I
Izz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Melodylane,
You seem pretty vicious about this, and not helpful at all. I didn't come on here to have stones thrown at me. I came on here for good solid advise from folks who have had experience in this matter.

Izz #2567428 11/22/11 09:41 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Izz
What would be the best way to tell him? How do you tell him?

Just sit him down and tell him the truth. And don't even think of withholding the name of the OM. Your H has a right to know the full and complete truth. This is information about his life, after all.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Izz #2567429 11/22/11 09:41 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by Izz
I desperately want to tell my husband, but just don't want him to hurt over something that was MY mistake, not his. I did go to the doctor for my annual exam and am clear of everything, so that is NOT an issue.
I guess you didn't go to medical school, did you, Izz? Don't you know that some diseases can take more than 4 months to show up on a test?

Please stop making this out to be a noble effort to protect your husband. You've come here bending over backward to find some sort of excuse to cover your own bum & still somehow feel good about it. That's really all this is about. Covering your own bum.

As long as deceitfulness is your default mode of problem-solving, you won't be able to improve your marriage. The things that you sought elsewhere, you will find further occasion to seek elsewhere. Because your fear of consequences is trumping your love for your husband.

Perfect love casts out fear. So why not take a step out in faith: Put love ahead of your fear, and see how good a marriage can be?

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
Izz #2567430 11/22/11 09:42 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Izz
Melodylane,
You seem pretty vicious about this, and not helpful at all. I didn't come on here to have stones thrown at me. I came on here for good solid advise from folks who have had experience in this matter.

Izz, nothing I can say would be as vicious as committing adultery with someone else's husband. But that is what you did. The TRUTH is vicious here, not the truthful words used to describe it. So please don't talk to me about being "vicious," Madam. crazy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Izz #2567431 11/22/11 09:44 PM
G
G
Izz,

The other thing is this can you imagine keeping this secret for 5, 10 years or 20 years?

How to tell him, just get it done, don't spread it over 20 years like my W did, and I still don't have everything.

God Bless
Gamma

I
Izz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
No, I really can't imagine keeping this secret forever.

Izz #2567435 11/22/11 09:48 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Izz

And specifically what did I say that was "not helpful?" When I told you to tell your husband the truth? That you were dangerous to him? That you have no right to trick him? Is that what you mean by "not helpful?"

Just because you don't like hearing the truth, does not mean it is not "helpful," it just means you don't like it. And people are not here to just tell you want to hear. We will tell you what you NEED to hear.

Exposure 101

Izz #2567438 11/22/11 09:54 PM
G
G
Izz,

One of the painful facts for me is that my W's affair reduced the quality of our marriage for 20 years.

When you tell your H he may just reply that he knows btw, or he may feel relieved that you cleared up something he felt, but didn't feel ok about asking you.

God Bless
Gamma

Izz #2567439 11/22/11 09:55 PM
G
G
Izz,

Does your H know this person?

Is this person married?

God Bless
Gamma

Izz #2567440 11/22/11 09:56 PM
G
G
You don't need to keep it a secret forever. Nor should you. (It quite possibly won't work anyway. All it takes is one slip-up... maybe the other man decides to "reconnect" with you one day, but he gets the wrong party on the phone, or a wrong account; or your husband checks up on your Facebook one day, using a password that you didn't know he knows... and does a little digging... Which do you think would be harder for your husband: Hearing it from you, or hearing it from OM, or finding out on his own? Which do you think would be worst for you?)

Confessing was the hardest thing I've ever done.

And I shudder to think where I might be today if I hadn't.

I don't get a penny for spending time here telling you this stuff, Izz. My wife has a late shift & I've got time to kill tonight. My only motivation here is, I've seen what infidelity does to marriages, and I understand how it acts. (My other woman didn't confess to her husband. She got found out by him. She blew her chance to end it & come clean. Within 13 months, he had divorced her, which is about as fast as the law allows here in this state.) I have a lifetime of atonement ahead. But I at least can find some comfort in knowing that I've fessed up, and knowing that my wife & I make efforts today & are attuned to one another & in ways that we once weren't during those awful 11 weeks when I was in my affair. And I'm honest in ways I wasn't back then.

If you want to get to that place, you've gotta cross the river of truth, though.

DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
I
Izz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
No, this person lives 5 states away, and my husband does not know this person. Yes, this person is married with two children.

Izz #2567442 11/22/11 10:07 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by Izz
No, this person lives 5 states away, and my husband does not know this person. Yes, this person is married with two children.
Doesn't matter where he lives. My OW carried on her other affair (before her affair with me) with her ex-BF from college, who lived in Florida. He managed to arrange his business-trip itineraries to take him back through Virginia, though. Affairees who "reconnect" once, tend to reconnect again, unless fundamental life changes are made, including the introduction of transparency in the marriage & steps taken so that the betrayed spouse can verifiably ensure that the affairees don't remain in contact. Without your husband's knowledge of the affair, or the reasons for these steps, he can't participate with you properly in implementing them.

Your desire to cover your heinie in the present will put your marriage at a huge disadvantage in the future. That's one of the reasons you need to come clean, as Step #1 in building a better marriage. Which is what you must do. After all, the marriage you had before got you into an affair. You need to make your marriage better than that, and you can't do this without letting your H in on the why & allowing him to participate in the how.

DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
I
Izz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I really appreciate everyone's advise.

Izz #2567445 11/22/11 10:19 PM
Z
Z
Originally Posted by Izz
I reconnected with a friend on Facebook and met when I was on a business trip for dinner, and things went farther.

Izz,

As a BS, I can honestly tell you that it would have been a heck of a lot easier for everyone if my FWW had come to me, been honest, repentant and told me the truth from the start.

Does you BH deserve to know EVERYTHING? ABSOLUTELY! Don't try to spare his feelings by holding back any or all of the truth..trickle truth as it is called. Bare your soul, pray for forgiveness from your BH eventually..it must be earned.

How I explained it to my FWW was that she had lost all rights to decide what I needed to know, that was now my decision to make ONLY.

As far as the harshness you perceive on the board from some people, I can assure you they are VERY passionate about saving marriages, they talk straight, loud and carry enormous 2x4's they are not afraid to use. laugh Above all they are honest and don't tell you what you want to hear but what you NEED to hear.

Zeke351

Last edited by Zeke351; 11/22/11 10:21 PM.
Izz #2567448 11/22/11 10:30 PM
P
P
Izz,

Everyday that you keep this secret is another lie. You're putting an awful lot of faith in this OM (a/k/a rat) to keep your secret. What happens one day if HE decides that HE can't live with this secret and he confesses to his wife? What happens if she demands to know WHO and he spills the beans? What if he brags to someone? What if he decides not to stick to no contact?

This will NOT stay a secret. You're trusting this untrustworthy man with a stick of dynamite that may blow up your marriage and your life.

Even if he doesn't tell, your BH will figure it out or sense that something's wrong with you. You can't keep this kind of lie between you and have a good marriage. You just can't. Not possible.

It will be 1000x worse if your BH finds out from anyone but you.

If you come clean, we'll help you with that. Your BH may decide to forgive you or he may not. But won't it be a relief to know that there are no more secrets?

Stop the lying.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
A
A
Even if he doesn't tell, your BH will figure it out or sense that something's wrong with you. You can't keep this kind of lie between you and have a good marriage. You just can't. Not possible.

It will be 1000x worse if your BH finds out from anyone but you.

If you come clean, we'll help you with that. Your BH may decide to forgive you or he may not. But won't it be a relief to know that there are no more secrets?

Stop the lying.

Totally agree.

No, not vicious, just uncompromising in knowing that you must tell the truth. You're getting great advice, just not what you wanted to hear. You want us to tell you that you are justified in continuing to lie to your husband to save him from being hurt which, of course, we are not about to do.

I desperately want to tell my husband, but just don't want him to hurt over something that was MY mistake, not his. I did go to the doctor for my annual exam and am clear of everything, so that is NOT an issue.

No, you don't want to tell your husband because you are afraid of the consequences. has nothing to do with being afraid to hurt him, if you were afraid to hurt him you wouldn't have been unfaithful. Now you're lying to yourself and us, only it ain't working with us.

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
Izz #2567638 11/23/11 11:26 AM
P
P
Your thread title:

Should I confess?

.... Has been answered.

Why?
Because it's the right thing to do.
The moral thing to do.
The honest thing to do.

Have you read Marriage Builders basic concepts?

P
P
Within the basic concepts on this site is a list of LOVE BUSTERS.

Read this **** LINK ****

Dishonesty is a huge love buster.

Originally Posted by MB Basic Concepts- Love busters
Dishonesty

If your spouse had an affair ten years ago that was a brief indiscretion, would you want to know about it?

If you had an affair ten years ago that you ended because you knew it was wrong, should you tell your spouse about it?

These are tough questions that go to the heart of our fifth Love Buster -- dishonesty.

Dishonesty is the strangest of the five Love Busters. Obviously, no one likes dishonesty, but sometimes honesty seems even more damaging. What if the truth is more painful than a lie?

When a wife first learns that her husband has been unfaithful, the pain is often so great that she wishes she had been left ignorant. When a husband discovers his wife's affair, it's like a knife in his heart -- and he wonders if it would have been better not knowing. In fact, many marriage counselors advise clients to avoid telling spouses about past infidelity, saying that it's too painful for people to handle. Besides, if it's over and done with, why dredge up the sewage of the past?

It's this sort of confusion that leads some of the most well-intentioned husbands and wives to lie to each other, or at least give each other false impressions. They feel that dishonesty will help them protect each other's feelings.

But what kind of a relationship is that? The lie is a wall that comes between the two partners, something hidden, a secret that cannot be mentioned, yet is right under the surface of every conversation.

And dishonesty can be as addictive as a drug. One secret leads to another. If you start using dishonesty to protect each other's feelings, where will it end?

That's why dishonesty is a strange Love Buster. Lies clearly hurt a relationship over the long-term, but truth can also hurt, especially in the short-term. It's no wonder that many couples continue in dishonesty -- because they feel they can't take the shock of facing the truth, at least right now. As a result, the marriage dies a slow death.

Honesty is like a flu shot. It may give you a short, sharp pain, but it keeps you healthier over the following months.

In the case of infidelity, don't you think that your own affair would be one of the most important pieces of information about yourself? How could you ever expect to have an intimate relationship with someone to whom you cannot reveal your most inner feelings?

I'll admit that infidelity is an extreme example of something you would be tempted to lie about. But "little white lies" can be just as destructive when discovered, and there's even less justification for them. If it makes sense to be honest about something as hurtful as an affair, it makes even more sense to be honest about something more trivial, such as buying something you know your spouse would not have approved.

I wanted to use the extreme case of infidelity to underscore the curious nature of this Love Buster and how important honesty is, even in extreme cases. But whether the lie is about something as devastating as an affair, or something that would simply be disappointing to your spouse, it's dishonesty, not honesty, that makes matters worse. I draw a distinction between the pain of a thoughtless act and the pain of knowing about a thoughtless act. Honesty sometimes creates some pain, the pain of knowing that your spouse has been thoughtless. But it is really the thoughtless act itself that causes the pain. Dishonesty may defer some of that pain, but it compounds the pain later. The truth usually comes out eventually, and the months or years of hiding it not only creates an emotional barrier before it is revealed, but also destroys trust afterward.

Dishonesty strangles compatibility. To create and sustain compatibility, you must lay your cards on the table. You must be honest about your thoughts, feelings, habits, likes, dislikes, personal history, daily activities and plans for the future. When misinformation is part of the mix, you have little hope of making successful adjustments to each other. Dishonesty not only makes solutions hard to find, but it often leaves couples ignorant of the problems themselves.

There's another very important reason to be honest. Honesty tends to make our behavior more thoughtful. If we knew that everything we do and say would be televised and reviewed by all our friends, we would be far less likely to engage in thoughtless acts. Criminals would not steal and commit violent acts as much if they knew they would be caught each time they did. Honesty is the television camera in our lives. We know what we do, and if we are honest about what we do, we tend not to engage in thoughtless acts because we know those acts will be revealed-by ourselves.

In an honest relationship, thoughtless acts are usually corrected. Bad habits are nipped in the bud. Honesty keeps a couple from drifting into incompatibility-as incompatible attitudes and behavior are revealed, they can become targets for elimination. But if these attitudes and behavior remain hidden, they are left to grow out of control.

So many of the couples I've counseled have been confused as to what constitutes honesty in marriage, that I have created a policy to explain it. I call it the Policy of Radical Honesty, because so many think it's radical. But from my perspective either you are honest or you are dishonest. There is no middle ground.

My next Basic Concept will explain this policy to you, and try to justify something so radical that there are very few counselors who recommend it. And yet, without honesty -- radical honesty -- your marriage has little hope for success, and you and your spouse are very unlikely to be in love with each other.

P
P
It's this sort of confusion that leads some of the most well-intentioned husbands and wives to lie to each other, or at least give each other false impressions. They feel that dishonesty will help them protect each other's feelings.

But what kind of a relationship is that? The lie is a wall that comes between the two partners, something hidden, a secret that cannot be mentioned, yet is right under the surface of every conversation.

And dishonesty can be as addictive as a drug. One secret leads to another. If you start using dishonesty to protect each other's feelings, where will it end?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation