Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2578237 12/27/11 02:01 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Can anyone provide an insight on divorce in FL? I know it's a no fault state but not exactly how that works.

I don't have the money for a lawyer right now, so I wanted to do a DIY divorce but I'm seriously worried about a couple things.

1) Because of WH's spending sprees on OW, we currently owe the IRS around $25k. It's in both our names because I was stupid enough to file joint.

He owns 5% of a corporation, I'd like to force him to sell his shares to pay off the IRS and give me a settlement.

2) He's refusing the divorce and is telling me he's going to destroy me and make my life miserable.

He's seriously demented right now, after 5 months of NC, he jumped right back to her and since I'm not falling for his lies, and he can't control me (he's very manipulative and controlling, even when he's not cheating, we'll just say I've seen the light finally) he's moved beyond the normal abuse and is getting violent with stuff, like throwing a ladder around the back yard.

Me: BW
WH 41 (practicing alcoholic)
Married 20 yrs
DS20, DD15, DD9
Too many D-Days to account for, more FRs than I care to admit
NC since 03/11, broken 04/11
NC again 07/11 broken 12/11
Plan D full steam ahead, made WH leave
WH now living with his "soul mate" (we call her donkeychui) 1/13/2012
D filed 01/25/2012
D final 05/15/2012
T
T
Do what it takes to get a lawyer.
He can't destroy you
and he can only make u miserable if u let him

Me: BH 40
WW 39
S13, D9
Married 15 yrs together 19!!!
D Day July 11,2011
WW in P.A. with OW
WW wants D
Almost done
Former Tryingtofeelgood
TTFG #2578418 12/27/11 05:53 PM
F
F
TickyTock, there are several free or low-cost legal services available to you in Florida. Check out Florida Legal Services, the Florida Bar and Legal Aid.

The law is not only for those who can afford it. Many people and organizations will gladly work to level the playing field.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
N
N
TickyTock, I am in the process of going thru a D in Fl now. I have an attorney but my WW does not.

You really should get an attorney but you can start on your own first. It is about 500 bucks to get it filed once the paperwork is filled out. Go to the county clerk and acquiring the dissolution of marriage paperwork, I think its about 20 dollars.

Yes Fl is a no fault state meaning you can only file on grounds of irreconcilable differences. Family court services will help you file what documents you need at no charge, they just can't assist you in any legal matters.

I think possibly you will be on the hook for half of the IRS debt as it is marital debt unless he in the D takes responsibility for all of it.

Not sure about the stake in the company, maybe Mr. W can answer that.

He can refuse the D all he wants, you can still get divorced. Yes he most likely will make it difficult but whether or not it makes you miserable is dependant on how you react to the craziness.

If you have any questions just ask.

Sorry about the circumstances you are dealing with.

Aka S2

I know what's next. I filed for D. Original betrayal and two FR's in one year. I'm done.

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.

New_Path #2581411 01/05/12 06:29 AM
L
L
you will be destroyed if you'll allow him to. Do whatever you can to fight him.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation