Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2587728 01/20/12 06:52 AM
L
OP Offline
L
We are 4 months into recovery, and really it's going better than my WH and I could have ever imagined - spending lots of UA, and meeting top 5 emotional needs. He told me just yesterday that I am meeting all 5 very well!

But, we are reading "His Needs, Her Needs" now, and the descriptions of other's affairs was a major trigger for me this week. I've been very obsessed with the A, jealous of the time WH spent with her, and can't stop thinking about it. Every time I read one of these books this happens.

So, I would appreciate advise on how to handle this and get through it. I want to read the books, but it is very difficult! It put me in a funk for a few days and made WH depressed because as he said "he is the cause of all this pain". Then it makes ME feel bad that he is hurting.....

Last edited by loveoflife; 01/20/12 06:57 AM.
P
P
Skip sections that trigger you at this time. (4 months)
Try reading those sections later. Maybe in 6 months from now?

L
L
Almost every chapter has some reference to affairs. You could just read the information on this site about how to meet needs (under basic needs). I also think other books, like "Fall in Love, Stay in Love" may provide what you need without those references. I don't have that title, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Do this along with the workbook "5 steps to romantic Love" and you'll have the tools you need. There's info in the workbook that helps and is quite to the point about the needs and Lovebusters.

Last edited by LifetimeLearner; 01/20/12 08:34 AM. Reason: added info

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you both. We both want to keep the great momentum we have going to keep up the "in love with you" feeling. I will look into the workbook.

Pepperband - I understand that the memories dull over time and are less hurtful, but just curious why you put 6 months down as a suggestion. From your experience here, does this seem to be around the time it starts to get easier? I realize it's different for everyone, just curious. I will have a great few weeks with flashes of thoughts but not consuming, then a few days were I am so depressed about it. Last night my WH, when we were discussing my difficult time this week, said he "read that some people never get over it and are never able to move on". While he doesn't think I should "just get over it", I think he is fearful 2 or 3 years down the road I will continue to obsess over the memories and all we accomplished will unravel. I am hopeful time will heal these wounds, and believe they will.

Any thoughts (from all).

C
C
TIME sweetie smile I have made the mistake of bringing up the affair in our recovery and it keeps it in our thoughts. It doesn't deserve a second of my time, but I have obsessed about details etc. My thread is now locked so it can get pushed to the back of the message board, I kept looking back on it and experiencing the pain all over again. When you replace all your painful memories with new ones (like it sounds you are doing a great job!)then you will hurt less and less.

While it will always be a part of your history,it doesn't define your marriage, and think of it as the catalyst (albeit a nasty one!) for a new and wonderful life! Bury that affair, piss on its grave, and don't bring it into the present! Even if you are triggered (cause it will happen for awhile) your spouse shouldn't be reminded of the affair either. Just ask for an extra hug or kiss! Dr. Harley recommends NO discussion of the affair (after you get the initial disclosure etc.) as it is an Enemy of Good Conversation.

Me: 34yrs
OM #1 ONS July 2010
OM #2 internet/text EA (9/10-2/11)

He: WH 38 yrs
OW#1 Former friend, 7 month EA & PA 1/11-7/11
OW#2 Ex-GF, 1 month phone/ FB EA & ONS 7/11

Recovering MB Online!

C
C
Fyi, I believe the worst of it is over in 6 months (not from D-day, but after Ep's in place, No Contact etc. This in itself can take time if your spouse is reluctant or thinks "his way" will work.) It's approx. 2 years for healing if you follow the program!

Me: 34yrs
OM #1 ONS July 2010
OM #2 internet/text EA (9/10-2/11)

He: WH 38 yrs
OW#1 Former friend, 7 month EA & PA 1/11-7/11
OW#2 Ex-GF, 1 month phone/ FB EA & ONS 7/11

Recovering MB Online!

H
H
LOL,

NGB and I printed pretty much all the material on the website and put it together in a binder.

By the time SAA and HNHNfP arrived, the reading was more or less redundant.

The "Marriage Binder" is kind of a neat little deal. We also store our periodic ENQ and LBQ refreshers in there.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Originally Posted by loveoflife
We are 4 months into recovery, and really it's going better than my WH and I could have ever imagined - spending lots of UA, and meeting top 5 emotional needs. He told me just yesterday that I am meeting all 5 very well!

But, we are reading "His Needs, Her Needs" now, and the descriptions of other's affairs was a major trigger for me this week. I've been very obsessed with the A, jealous of the time WH spent with her, and can't stop thinking about it. Every time I read one of these books this happens.

So, I would appreciate advise on how to handle this and get through it. I want to read the books, but it is very difficult! It put me in a funk for a few days and made WH depressed because as he said "he is the cause of all this pain". Then it makes ME feel bad that he is hurting.....

I went through the same thing recently, Love! Even posted about it in my thread. It was esp. hard because one of the couples in the book had the names of my H and OW!

The suggestions you've gotten thus far are spot on.

The lessons you learn through the books are invaluable, but I know it's hard. Putting things into practice truly help get you through the triggers.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

N
N
...descriptions of other's affairs was a major trigger...

I have made this point on other threads. Accept the trigger that just arose. Don't avoid it, process it completely. Finished? Now tell yourself that that trigger will never initiate the same negative feelings again. It had power over you because it made manifest bad memories/doubts/inputs that were dormant. They no longer matter because having analyzed those historical factors totally, you understand that as history, they are not of the same level of import as your future.

Do this with every trigger. Eventually, you'll run out of triggers.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks to all for your words of encouragement. What a difference a week makes! My H and I are both reading the book, and I have read several more chapters with no bad feelings. We had an exceptionally wonderful, close weekend, so that probably helped a lot! I realize that nothing can change the past, but so much can affect the future. In fact, dwelling on the past will negatively affect the future, so I can't afford it. I will continue to relish the little move messages I get from H, knowing that he means every bit of it for ME, and no one else.

D
D
The way Dr. Harley often talks about dealing with triggers is a process:
1. Analyze what was happening just before you began feeling unhappy. Typically, it's your spouse behaving in some way like they were during the affair. However, it can be a location, a smell, an object, a photo, etc.
2. Discuss the trigger with your spouse. Indicate how it makes you feel, and come up with a plan together how to avoid the trigger in the future.
-- If the trigger is something unavoidable, then sometimes the solution is what @NeverGuessed indicated: saturation. Revisit the trigger over and over (either in your mind or physically if it's something like a location) and analyze it as objectively as you can. In some cases it's not possible to get over the trigger, and other measures -- like moving -- are required to avoid it.
-- If the trigger is something that your spouse is doing, then the spouse should learn to not do that anymore.

That latter bit is a hard sell for a lot of people, particularly many men. It's difficult for us to be willing to do things -- or not do things -- without a logical, valid reason. But in marriage, we have to accommodate our spouse's feelings, even if we think it's a little nuts. The way I justify it in my mind is that the most logical thing of all is to keep a happy marriage with my spouse, therefore if I must make illogical accommodations to keep my spouse happy, I will.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation