Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 85 of 107 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 106 107
B
B
GJM,

I think you are doing a great job on your plan A. That expectations thing can sneak up on you though, so be careful about it. I have to keep these mantras of "no expectations" and "act, don't react" in my head all the time.

I have found myself having to work on the no expectations thing periodically. Otherwise, I start to sense I am becoming demanding and this I think is anathema to a WW.

Cheers,

BH

Me: BH
Marriage: 22 years
2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011
EA w OM started Fall 2010, PA w OM Spring 2011, OM died end Sept 2011

S
S
oops

S
S
I'm just hoping we can still go out and she still talks to me about her day.

AHEM. EXPECTATION. Hope that she will continue to react the way you want IS an EXPECTATION. Even if she doesn't act in a way you think she will, you need to keep your PLan A going. See, expectations get you into trouble. They drain YOUR LB. That's one of the reasons that you do Plan A without them. Also, when you have "hopes" that she will act a certain way, when she doesn't, you will have negative emotions about it, and you may react, instead of ACT.

Also, I wouldn't tell her that there will be no snooping once there is O&H. You SHOULD continue to snoop even after you have recovered. That's why you should be saying, "There should never be secrets between a husband and wife, would you like a cookie?"

You're doing great. Keep it up. And don't forget, you can get a lot of support from us here, whenever you need it. We'll keep you on task.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
GJM,

I am so pulling for you. Don't give up...

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks everyone...I didn't realize hopes were considered expectations. At least I haven't demanded anything or reacted in a negative way towards my W. Every emotion is taken care of in private. When I'm in front of her, it's all charm and smiles. I have a feeling the snooping and being an open book will be our biggest struggle if we can ever get to that point. I have to keep moving though. My W knows I'm the only one there for her and no one can love her like me. She values how I feel and think about her. She's told me this over the last week. Her reasons for not committing to recovery are that she's working on her self. I don't agree with the approach she's taking, but what choice do I have?

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

N
N
Her reasons for not committing to recovery are that she's working on her self. redflag

Uhh, seriously, it was the focusing on her "self" that got her into this situation.

It is the ongoing concern for "self" that causes her to mentally shift the blame to you.

There is a reason why "self" is the root of "selfish".

Explain to her in your next conversation that when her attitude shifts to thinking of "family" she'll be of value to that group.

But do so in a pleasant "Plan A" manner!

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
No doubt NG...one of the church pastors said that the main reason for divorce is selfishness. When a spouse only thinks of themselves, a marriage will never be successful. My W hates when I use us and family and kids when talking about recovery. She has a lot of defogging to do. I see some signs of it, but not nearly enough. I just gotta keep riding that bull until she breaks.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

R
R
lol....no riding the bull until she breaks (expectation)
Ride the bull cause you are a bull rider and that is what you do.

wink

L
L
It sounds like she was "fishing" for info talking to you about that email. She was trying to get you to admit you were snooping and you took the bait. You got to comfortable and forgot she is still wayward. She thought you were snooping but you just gave her proof. Now she is working on how to get around that.

Me -BS 40
Him - FWH 34 (dtl)
3 D-Days from 12/25/10 to 01/06/11
NC - 01/09/11
02/20/12 done beating my head on that wall.
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by reading
lol....no riding the bull until she breaks (expectation)
Ride the bull cause you are a bull rider and that is what you do.

wink

Lol...got it! I'm getting quite good at it too.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

H
H
Originally Posted by GJM
...I didn't realize hopes were considered expectations....

I can't see how a person can Plan A with no expectations (hopes) whatsoever. When you're working your butt off towards a specific goal, it's hard (if not impossible) not to expect that goal to materialize....especially when positive signs appear.

I'm not arguing the point, just can't see how one can go through this process with no expectation at all. I know I didn't.

I know that those expectations can't be projected to the WS by any means, but what we feel and what we project through this are different much of the time.

I think you're doing a stellar job and only wish I had your style about 9 years ago smile Would have saved some time.

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
HR,
I understand what you're saying. The members are just keeping checks and balances. They want us to make sure we don't project our expectations on the WS. They also don't want us to expect what we are doing to get positive results every time because it will discourage us to go on.

I've learned to make a plan, execute it and learn from it. I never love bust or get angry. I know it's frustrating for my W to see me in this light because I don't react to anything. I just give love like I learned from the bible. My taker was getting in the way for a while, but I learned to receive God's love. It's through him that I keep pushing forward. My W is wanting to go to church now because of what she has seen in me. That says a lot.

What we have to remember is that everything happens on God's time, not our time and this is a marathon. Things will happen the way they are supposed to. I believe that.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

H
H
Originally Posted by GJM
HR,
I understand what you're saying. The members are just keeping checks and balances. They want us to make sure we don't project our expectations on the WS. They also don't want us to expect what we are doing to get positive results every time because it will discourage us to go on.

I've learned to make a plan, execute it and learn from it. I never love bust or get angry. I know it's frustrating for my W to see me in this light because I don't react to anything. I just give love like I learned from the bible. My taker was getting in the way for a while, but I learned to receive God's love. It's through him that I keep pushing forward. My W is wanting to go to church now because of what she has seen in me. That says a lot.

What we have to remember is that everything happens on God's time, not our time and this is a marathon. Things will happen the way they are supposed to. I believe that.

Agree completely. I just know that, while we aren't supposed have expectations....we always will smile

S
S
High, GJM is right. Whenever a BS has expectations, and hopes that a certain action will get a certain reaction from the wayward, and it doesn't happen, they lose the will to move forward. They begin to react emotionally.

Besides, Plan A is for the BS. It is a way for the BS to become the spouse they were supposed to be all along. Because, they will need to become someone else to have a marriage they should, with or without their WS.

While it is quite normal for a BS to have expectations and hopes, it's harmful to their Plan A. Hence, the posters reminding the BSs to do what they are supposed to WITHOUT expectations.

In this particular case, GJM was expressing his hopes that his WW would REACT in a positive light to his Plan A efforts. That needs to STOP.

Of course you are doing quite well GJM. In my zeal to ensure that I am offering helpful advice, I sometimes forget to give a poster their props.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Always appreciated Scotty. smile BTW, I've managed to score another date with my W on Saturday. She's such a fence sitter. My next plan is to figure out a way to get her on my side of the fence. I'm just glad she can't say no to me when it comes to spending time with me. I just have to keep the charm on and keep showing my love for her. I think I now know what unconditional love means.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

S
S
I think I now know what unconditional love means.

It's DANGEROUS for marriage however.

It's good to hear that you're going out on Saturday. What will you e doing? Will you be wearing green?

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I think I'll just take her out to dinner and have some drinks afterward. Just some time to laugh and talk together. It's going to rain so nothing outdoors. That's right, it is St. Patrick's Day isn't it? Hopefully we find a spot. Either way, anything will do.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
I've just been reading up on your thread. I fear you have been in this Plan A for far too long. When a WW moves out you would usually only Plan A for a week or two then Plan B.

I fear that by Plan A'ing her all this time you have 'normailised' this whole situation for her.

Of course she wants you as a friend blah blah.....she needs to make a choice now. She has seen your best side, now quickly go to Plan B and put the ball in her court and move on with your life (in every way but dating obviously)

The time has come she needs to make a choice - she been having her cake and eating it for FAR TOO LONG!

Time to MAN UP - I know its going to be hard to wean yourself from her but its for your own good and the best chance you have of rebuilding your M

ps I did exactly what you are doing for way too long and my exWW was so used to us being 'friends' and living on her own.

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
The best is yet to come, with or without your WS
R
R
mfil,
Dr. Harley suggested he stay in plan A as long as he can handle it.

GJM, Irish Coffee would be yummy.

S
S
I don't remember reading DrH suggesting that anyone Plan A for a week or two after their WW moved out.

Actually, I remember reading SAA, and in it, he advised Jon to Plan A for 6 months.

Plan B is to be used as a way for the BS to get out of the drama and protect themselves. GJM is doing well in Plan A. I don't see the need for Plan B, yet.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
Page 85 of 107 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 106 107

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation