Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30
S
S
Just remember - it's good to get all the truth once and for all but it will not be helpful towards recovery to keep rehashing it. No more A talk!
smile

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thanks sunny. i realised later last night that it was rather PTSD (having to face the appt). the old MC from 6 years ago really did a number on me.

so, after a long stressful day yesterday, i face the lovely long weekend...sick! grrrr! going to down some nyquil (which i bring here by the bucketload) and hit the sack early!

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
B
B
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
My advice to her husband is to never mention her affair again. It's a good example of one of the enemies of good conversation, dwelling on past mistakes. Whenever you keep bringing up your spouses past mistakes, you not only make your conversations incredibly unpleasant, but it cannot possibly lead to a resolution of a conflict you may be discussing. And as soon as his resentment doesn't pay him any dividends -- no longer helps him get his way -- he will find that it hardly ever occurs to him.

Remember once everything is out on the table Dr. Harley says to never bring up the affair again.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
I personally believe that therapy should focus most attention, not on the past, but on ways to make the future sensational. And when a spouse comes to me with unresolved feelings of resentment about something their spouse did in the past, I tend to put it on hold and focus on issues that prevent mistakes of the past from recurring. I ask them to trust my judgment, and see what happens to the resentment when the marriage has a chance to become fulfilling. In almost every case, resentment fades, as I predicted. While the painful memories are not entirely forgotten, the most recent marital experiences which are fulfilling and enjoyable, dominate a person's thinking, and resentment becomes weak and infrequent

Think about if your counselor is doing more harm then good.

Hope you get to feeling better.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
Isn't it crazy that something that's supposed to be good - counseling - can end up so bad?!!!

You just have to be careful. Some MC's are all about talking the past to death and it simply does no good: it only makes things worse. That's not to say that you don't need resolution on what happened. That's why Dr. H recommends you have the big talk to get all the truth out. After that though, you're supposed to drop it and that can be very hard for us BS's. It doesn't seem fair that we don't get to talk about it with our spouses. We want them to know the pain they caused and that we can't just get over it, etc...

BUT... it helps neither party - the BS or the WS to discuss it anymore. We (BS's) may WANT to, but it is not in our own best interest: it just drags up the awful feelings.

Of course, I think we all need to know that our FWS's understand the hurt and pain caused and to validate our feelings. That should occur as a result of the big talk. Then, however, it may come up again later in us (that need for validation) and we want reassurance that the FWS still "knows" and gets what they've done. That need for reassurance is what usually prompts us to want to bring it up again. BUT...it's not healthy. This is where we have to use our minds to act appropriately rather than our feelings that want momentary relief.

And....that's what we have the boards for - to talk these things out. It's not good to suffer in silence.

I sure hope you feel better!!! Can hubby make chicken soup? smile

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
i am off on the 7.30am bus this morning for the town my dd lives in. H is driving up this afternoon. i'm doped to the gills, plus using a naturopath (sp?) remedy...feel a little bit better, but so don't want to have a disappointing weekend because i don't feel well!

dd in beauty school - she's going to do my hair this afternoon after i've got my students ready to go. their competition isn't until tomorrow morning (there are lots of other staff this year to take care of them - the last time i went, it was only me and a new teacher! for 50 kids!) this is a big cultural comp between the top 8 boys schools in the north island. lots of fun.

H and i are staying until sunday, spending time with DD. looking forward to it if i survive the bus ride!

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
bus ride fine, but i am now incredibly blonde - dd used my head for foils as well! having lovely weekend - gorgeous apartment overlooking the beach. feeling a tad less sucky than yesterday, but full respitory infection. i'm prone to them :O(

i never got any info about the a other than what i found. original MC said from day 1 (which was only days later) that we could only look forward and not back. it was very humiliating. i hated it and her :O( new one, and i, think it's important to look at the behaviour that lead to it - that's an MB principle, yes? then, believe me, i will thrilled never to talk about it again. looking forward to not thinking about it either. that's why i joined MB. i wanted to "let go" (hence my name, letting go)of all that pain and anguish and move forward. i have been "stuck" for far too long.

ok, back to my lovely weekend! there's actually a mexican place here. i hope the food is remotely like real mexican food!

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Wanted to share Dr. Harleys advice to another poster.
"You already know what I'm going to say. You must simply stop talking about your husband's affairs. There should be complete transparency in your lives, where you always know where each other are, and what you are doing; the conditions that made his affairs possible must be eliminated; and you must have a romantic relationship, where you are meeting each other's most important emotional needs every week. If you achieve those three objectives, your marriage will turn out great. But if you keep bringing up his affairs, your relationship will suffer greatly. Stop doing it!"
More information about his affairs will not help you avoid them in the future or help you make a decision as to whether or not you will stay with him. The decision has been made, and the plan you are following is appropriate regardless of how much new information you would receive. Resist the temptation to resurrect the past, and your future will be much brighter.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Just heard a fantastic radio clip about "keep talking about the affair".

His affair was 6 years ago but she just found out a month and a half ago.

Please tell me what you think. This is just one segment of their four segment call if you would like me to post the others.
Radio clip about " to not keep bringing the affair up"

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thanks, bh, i'll listen to that when i get home. i must have been mistaken. i thought all info should be out, *then* you stop talking about it. since i had never been filled in in the first place...but if it's no, it's no! what a pity our first MC screwed up so badly. she did me a great disservice; stupid cow. if only i'd known about MB then.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
S
S
I thought too that you are supposed to have all the information and THEN stop talking about it.

Otherwise, the BS's head is filled with all kinds of thoughts trying to make sense of the puzzle.

To me it's always been a distinct difference: you talk about it to get the facts, get the truth out there so there are no secrets... then, you move forward focusing on the future. We talk on the forums about different BS's needing different amounts of information as to specifics, but I thought that the MB principle was that the BS should know whatever he or she needs to know. (And then has to shut up about it after that's all out.)

???

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

J
J
That is correct. Reveal everything about the affair. That is a condition of recover.

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
ok, that's good to know.

our (discussed) plan is to use 1 appt for a talk, then padlock it forever. then next appt for practicing POJA properly together, 1 for practicing avoiding LBs (particularly OAs), and 1-2 for developing openness and honest communication together.

am back home now from weekend. i am still sick w/respiratory infection. however, we had a lovely time. he outdid himself with accommodation, and surprised me this morning with lovely card & gift for mother's day, which i had totally forgotten about. card made me tear up a bit. it was lovely to sit in the private spa and steam away some of my congestion. also had opportunity for SF once i could actually breathe. today we dealt with DDs car problems (good for admiration meeting), then had a long, positive talk in the car on the drive home. just some o&h talk about our past lives/relationships and lessons learned from them. both of us had always been of the "what your life was before we met doesn't matter" types, so this is new and quite interesting, really. i could also see a clear pattern of behaviour on my own part when examining my past. this is another good thing dr harley recommends! he drove his new car, but not in a way that made me want to vomit, which was great and respectful of me. it was nice being able to share his pleasure of driving/cars.

oh, and my boys got some 2nd and 3rd places, which was nice. no firsts though :O( long week ahead, starting with scholarship class at 7am tomorrow. going to be an early night. thank you, nyquil!

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
B
B

Originally Posted by Letty
ok, that's good to know.

our (discussed) plan is to use 1 appt for a talk, then padlock it forever. then next appt for practicing POJA properly together, 1 for practicing avoiding LBs (particularly OAs), and 1-2 for developing openness and honest communication together.

am back home now from weekend. i am still sick w/respiratory infection. however, we had a lovely time. he outdid himself with accommodation, and surprised me this morning with lovely card & gift for mother's day, which i had totally forgotten about. card made me tear up a bit. it was lovely to sit in the private spa and steam away some of my congestion. also had opportunity for SF once i could actually breathe. today we dealt with DDs car problems (good for admiration meeting), then had a long, positive talk in the car on the drive home. just some o&h talk about our past lives/relationships and lessons learned from them. both of us had always been of the "what your life was before we met doesn't matter" types, so this is new and quite interesting, really. i could also see a clear pattern of behaviour on my own part when examining my past. this is another good thing dr harley recommends! he drove his new car, but not in a way that made me want to vomit, which was great and respectful of me. it was nice being able to share his pleasure of driving/cars.

oh, and my boys got some 2nd and 3rd places, which was nice. no firsts though :O( long week ahead, starting with scholarship class at 7am tomorrow. going to be an early night. thank you, nyquil!
Yes you talk about everything and then once you talk about it you don't talk about the affair anymore.

Listen to the clip I posted. She found out a month and half ago and Dr. H asks her "How many hours do you think you have talked about it?" She said 20-30 hours and he said that should be plenty.

There were things the WH couldn't remember but the affair happened 6 years ago.

So Letty I ask you? How many hours do you think you have talked about the affair with your WH?

I do think you should use one last appointment to talk about it if you think there are still questions that need answered.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
we have never really talked about it at all, after the revelation.

so, basically, 2 hours, tops, on revelation night (where he did the talking), and about 20 minutes last weekend, when i finally, finally, asked how it happened.

to be absolutely specific, on DD, i got the "i'm in love with someone else and went all the way to canada to have sex with the skanyhola" revelation. he told me he loved her and wanted her to move here with her child and basically take over my life. oh, yes, he told me all about how wonderful she was, and he loved her even though she smoked, something he's always despised, and had a young child, something he'd never wanted more of. i was shell shocked. i did not ask questions. i left the house, cried, came back, told him to get out of our house, threw clothes at him, then, just like some sad sack on sally jesse raphael, i literally begged him to stay.

he did.

the very next day we went to doctor for STD testing, and made appt to see MC the day following. i did not discuss a, as i was terrified he would leave, since he wasn't "in love" with me. the "MC" we went to for 6 months following insisted we should not discuss it at all, so we didn't ("the past is the past"). instead, i cried alone every day in the shower, then tried to be the best wife i could despite the constant and dreadful state of fear and anxiety. after those 6 months, he finally got through withdrawal and committed to us. i certainly wasn't going to bring it up when we finally seemed to be getting back on track. but it has haunted me for 6 very long years, which is why i'm here. it's like a festering wound that will not heal.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
B
B
Well you definitely do not have all your questions answered per that horrible MC.

So is your WH willing to answer all your questions? I would make a list and write all your questions down, because sometimes when we are under stressful situations we may forget.

Since his affairs happened so long ago, maybe give him the questions before hand so in the MC he has had some time to think about the answers.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
yes, he is willing. that's a really good idea. i will do that.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
B
B
Originally Posted by Letty
yes, he is willing. that's a really good idea. i will do that.

I hope you finally start to find peace, my friend.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Letty Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thank you so much. not many people "get" that. i am happy to work through MB for 2 years to get to that point. i am so happy to have finally found something that actually helps and doesn't leave the BS out in the cold!

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
S
S
Letty, after you find out everything that you want to know about the affair, you do stop discussing it. That doesn't mean that the triggers will disappear though. You will be reminded about the affair, and it is important to share those times with your WH.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation