Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
I often see posts advising a BS to remove a WS from bank and credit card accounts. I wanted to point out that if a bank account or credit card is JOINT, this can not be unilaterally done...hence the word JOINT...the account will have to be closed. With a bank, funds can be transferred to another account. I would cancel a joint credit card vs leaving it open since any spending a WS does, the BS is jointly liable for the debt. If a BS is the primary card holder and the WS is an authorized card holder, the WS's card can be deactivated and removed as an authorized user.

Financial details can be worked out as needed, but a joint account holder can not simply be "removed" from a joint account.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
Hi BR, All of my banks removed my POSex. He had to sign a doc (which he did at mediation) but they can be removed. Just not without their knowledge.

Me: BS age 35
POS-eX-the SORRIEST, CRUELEST, LOWLY WAYWARD SCUMBAG out there
Married 14.5 years, together almost 16
DDay: 7-5-09
OC born: 7-23-09
no COM: tried 6 years frown
D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11
I was gaslighted for 2 years.

"You were not built for a safe story. Take risks and feel what it is like to actually be brave. It's worth it." Carlos Whittaker
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for clarifying Migs. I doubt most WSs will sign to be removed though lol. Your ex signed during the D process. For those not in D and/or dealing with a newly discovered WS, I wanted to make them aware that there is more to it than simply "removing" the WS on joint accounts. It can't be unilateral...agreed. I am pretty sure the credit cards are different though. Those to have to be closed to my knowledge. There is no removal form.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
M
M
He was just an auth user on mine and I removed him when he moved out. Not a joint acct, he was just an auth user so removing him was easy here.

Me: BS age 35
POS-eX-the SORRIEST, CRUELEST, LOWLY WAYWARD SCUMBAG out there
Married 14.5 years, together almost 16
DDay: 7-5-09
OC born: 7-23-09
no COM: tried 6 years frown
D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11
I was gaslighted for 2 years.

"You were not built for a safe story. Take risks and feel what it is like to actually be brave. It's worth it." Carlos Whittaker
C
C
I don't think CC issuers even do joint accounts. My H and I have several Cc accounts, and the only way to add a spouse is to make them an authorized user, which can be terminated with a phone call. The extra authorized card can be cancelled.

Joint bank accounts are another thing. I recommend moving the money to a new account and closing the old one. One person can close the account. I did this with my ex. He tried to open a new account at the same bank, leaving $100 in the joint, at the same time I was closing the account and wiring all the money to my existing account at another bank, and my transaction won. It was actually completed the next business day.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by CWMI
I don't think CC issuers even do joint accounts.

We had three joint credit cards. They were all opened a long time ago...over a decade ago. Maybe joint cards are not standard practice any more but I had some and had to close those. AMEX never issues joint cards. Not sure about MC, Visa, and Discover.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 981 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation