Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Upon data reception through our senses the amygdala chooses to send data to the limbic system (fight or flight system) or the higher thinking center of the cortex. During anger, the amygdala sends this stimulus to the limbic system which is why 'good' people say in courtrooms, "I don't know, something in me just snapped."

The endocrines, hormones and chemicals that are released in the brain may last 20+ minutes after being hijacked by the amygdala. Since the limbic system is in charge during this time the higher critical thinking skills are shut off or short circuited by all the adrenaline. Trying to resolve an argument by talking it out will be pointless until the chemicals in the brain have time to subside.

Its obvious that all emotions are real chemical-physical changes in the brain but it really helps me understand my wife's biggest love buster. And hopefully have patience.

Much credit to http://lakesideconnect.com

God's goal for marriage: Become ONE! How? MBer methods.
Me:husband 42
wife, 40
married 1/12/1991
3 children, 1 granddaughter
M
M
Originally Posted by bigpicture
Its obvious that all emotions are real chemical-physical changes in the brain but it really helps me understand my wife's biggest love buster. And hopefully have patience.

That is a very interesting observation and it fits perfectly with what Dr Harley says when he says that anger makes us temporarily insane. This is why it is so important to learn to avoid anger in marriage.

It is not something that should ever be tolerated, but a condition that is to be overcome.

What is your wife doing to eliminate her angry outbursts?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Upon data reception through our senses the amygdala chooses to send data to the limbic system (fight or flight system) or the higher thinking center of the cortex. During anger, the amygdala sends this stimulus to the limbic system which is why 'good' people say in courtrooms, "I don't know, something in me just snapped."

The endocrines, hormones and chemicals that are released in the brain may last 20+ minutes after being hijacked by the amygdala. Since the limbic system is in charge during this time the higher critical thinking skills are shut off or short circuited by all the adrenaline. Trying to resolve an argument by talking it out will be pointless until the chemicals in the brain have time to subside.

Much credit to http://lakesideconnect.com
Is your wife's "biggest love buster" angry outbursts?

If so, she can and should work to stop this response. The solution is not for you to "have patience" but for her to practice until she learns to stop it.

She can control the outburst immediately by simply not saying anything until she has calmed down. She can also learn to control the feeling of "fight or flight" by using relaxation techniques. I know this is not easy to carry out but it is what she needs to do.

A lovebuster is a lovebuster and your "having patience" with it will simply harm her balance in your love bank.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
This is why it is so important to learn to avoid anger in marriage.

It is not something that should ever be tolerated, but a condition that is to be overcome.

Here is a refined look at anger. I cannot control her or her response of anger to her worldly input. Its just how she is wired. In many senses she cannot control the bio-chemical responses either. Her anger is her emotional reaction to her world.

Angry Outbursts though, that's another story. She can learn to control those and hopefully will because while anger is natural in all of us, Angry Outbursts are huge problems in a marriage, mine for certain, if they continually result from everyday trials.

wife, 40
married 1/12/1991
M
M
[
Here is a refined look at anger. I cannot control her or her response of anger to her worldly input. Its just how she is wired. In many senses she cannot control the bio-chemical responses either. Her anger is her emotional reaction to her world.

Sure she can control it. She can retrain the neural pathways in her brain to not even FEEL anger. You really need to listen to Dr Harley as he speaks of this SO OFTEN.

Angry Outbursts though, that's another story. She can learn to control those and hopefully will because while anger is natural in all of us, Angry Outbursts are huge problems in a marriage, mine for certain, if they continually result from everyday trials.

Angry outbursts result from the FEELING OF ANGER. When one FEELS anger, they become temporarily insane and have little control over their angry outbursts. So, the solution is to learn how to NOT FEEL ANGRY at all.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Saying that one can control angry outbursts is like saying one can control crazy behavior when they are drunk. That is unrealistic. Sure, an angry person can control it sometimes, but they won't be able to do it all the time.

Inherent with the feeling of anger is the loss of control because one is temporarily insane.

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
Melody Lane and MBers,
I presume you have already read that I will be divorced. You were right, her anger was too much for our marriage. The last straw for me was an incident last January at my DD18's football/cheerleading banquet where my wife 1) berated and verbally assaulted both of us after falsely assuming we were late, 2) continued to tell me at the dinner table what a b-i-t-c-h my daughter is WHILE DD was on stage accepting kudos as team captain of the cheer squad!, 3) got into a screaming/swearing match and brief physical altercation with DD later at home 4) the next morning tried to blame me and DD for the problems. All because, as she says it, "I was over-tired."

I started to see the pattern a couple years ago, realized that it didn't matter what I did or didn't do or if I engaged in LBers or not, that her abuse (swearing, name calling, insulting, yelling, etc) was unacceptable. That is why I kept bringing up boundaries in my previous posts here. See Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.

As I stopped participating in this drama and firmly telling her my boundaries (no yelling, no insults, no swearing) she interpreted it as me pulling all of my emotional support out from beneath her feet. I told her many times I am withdrawing from your temper tantrums and will be glad to talk when its calm.

More recently I exposed her on FB after finding pictures of her hanging all over some guy she went on an all day motorcycle ride with. Obviously that caused a storm of fury, I locked myself in the bathroom, she tried to kick in the door, I called police, she was arrested. Even yesterday she said that the person that was out of control that night was ME! An explosive start to divorce.

Though the future looks much calmer I am sad. I did my best.

Yours truly,
former MBer superhero

Originally Posted by MelodyLane

That is a very interesting observation and it fits perfectly with what Dr Harley says when he says that anger makes us temporarily insane. This is why it is so important to learn to avoid anger in marriage.

wife, 40
married 1/12/1991
M
M
I am sad that you never chose to use the Marriage Builders program. Not that this was any guarantee, but it would have greatly increased your odds of saving your marriage.

I am sorry your marriage didn't make it.

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation