Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 51 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 50 51
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
Originally Posted by unwritten
I won't ever say it is fully on him.

hmmmm....maybe it should be on him.

Maybe he knows this and is effecting his motivation??

From what you said before, maybe he looks at the past and you are always there to mop up his messes.

I will leave you with this:

Put away the mop.

What IS H's motivation? I'm not really sure.

I put away my mop, or so I thought. After DDay I told him point blank, when he was in a puddle and feeling very bad about himself, "for once I cannot rescue you, you know that right?" and he said he knew. I won't lie, despite my resentment it has been my way in life to rescue him. When I have seen him have bad days, even when half the time I created them, I just want to fix it for him, make it right, console him, make him feel better. But I have, for the most part, resisted.

W
W
H's top EN's are 1) RC 2) DS 3) Affection. I think SF is 5th or 6th.

Do you believe that those three areas make your husband's love bank fill the most? With all your efforts and your feelings of not making any progress. Is it possible that those are NOT his top? For example, does he really feel "very fulfilled" when you take care of "cooking meals, washing dishes, washing and ironing clothes, house cleaning and child care"? You do not want to work hard at this stuff if he just "likes" it... you want him to be "very fulfilled" when you do it. I will admit that I could never meet the DS EN. I think I would have to hire a maid and hope that my husband did not fall in love with the maid.

Seriously, if your husband does not understand MB very well you might not have gotten a good list of top ENs. I cannot figure out my own top ENs so I am amazed at people who know themselves well enough.

Me-41 (WW)
DH-46 (BH)
DD-7, DS-11, DD-15
Together 20 years, married 16
S
S
I'm sure the motivation to "build him up" has been lacking because his account with you is low. He's not meeting your #1 need and he is withdrawing units by LBing...with his withdrawal and stonewalling.

He's got to earn "building up" as has been pointed out. He doesn't do that when he gets upset and withdraws instead of doing something about the issues.

SO, I guess one could argue, which came first the chicken or the egg? Do we feel bad for Mr. UW because he isn't getting built up and he needs to be in order to be able to fulfill his wife's needs? Or, do we say he needs to earn building up in order to be built up? Hmmm....

My solution to this would be to honestly and genuinely compliment him in things that he deserves to be - but not in areas where he hasn't earned. That would not be honest.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by SunnyDinTX
Woah - I'm gone for a few hours and 37 posts later....

On the "WS doesn't have to be all in" statement: the reason for that is due to the withdrawal, usually, from the AP. And, Dr. H makes a point in saying that a WW doesn't have to be "all in" while a WH usually does. He differentiates between the sexes here.

I would not say that withdrawal from the AP has been the problem here. But, I do understand the point you are making. Further, typically feelings follow actions. Therefore, no matter who is resentful or reluctant, as long as both parties work the program, the "right" feelings follows. Therein lies the problem.

Do your efforts (regardless of your H's) scream self-respect? Hmmmm... that's an interesting thing to ponder. One could say yes, because you're doing everything so that you will have no regrets. On the other hand, if you decide to go all in without requiring your H to as well, the message sent to him from you is, "I'm gonna change for you honey - and you're gonna love me so much that you'll see the need for change too." All the while he's seeing, "this is great - she's changing without me needing too. She ain't gonna leave me..." SO, whether it IS actually self-respecting on your part doesn't even matter. The message sent to him is, "I don't respect myself enough to REQUIRE you to change, for me to stick around."

Do you see the difference there?

Yes, but the fact is I WILL leave. I can tell him that and he doesn't have to believe it, doesn't mean I should keep telling him. But at the end of the day, if he doesn't invest, then I do it. Self respect, like anything else, is in action not in words, right?

As I've mentioned, I was not around at the beginning of your thread so some things are harder for me to comment on. I guess I need to go back to the beginning. But...from the time I have jumped on board what I've seen is that you are doing all you can to seek help, make changes, and your H is only paying lip service.

Perhaps NG sees the pattern he mentioned because there are times you don't mention how things played out - and there are implications and inferences made. (Just like me thinking there'd be no further job discussions. Although - to note - even though there was, there remains no solution.)

True. NG was there in the beginning, when I fought tooth and nail about a lot of things. My thread is titled "the devil of resentment" afterall, and the reason is because I came here with LOADS of it. LOADS I say. More than I have seen most people on here have. My persona to NG is all about fighting tooth and nail against recovery, because I have so much resentment towards H. So, IDK that he is being quite fair to my efforts. Sorry NG just had to say it.

I think you are right to consider counseling with SH. Perhaps given the way this has all gone - beginning with 2 reluctant spouses - it is more time that you contact the experts of experts, especially if you have tried so hard and your husband is still at the talk, no action stage.

Of course, at any time HE is willing to come here for help - tell his side of the story - he is more than welcome!

I wish. And I doubt it.

I kinda feel like others have mentioned: usually when a relationship is really good, the SF works itself out. That's why I focus less on that, I suppose. (This is barring any physical reasons for the lack of libido, of course.) Although, it being your #1 need and it not being met - it IS a priority!

U
OP Offline
U
A quick PS:

I'm really sorry you did not get "real life" support for reconciliation from those you've told. I can certainly see why that would be a hindrance to your overcoming feelings of shame.

You know, most people think they'd know what to do in these situations. Funny how that all goes out the window when it really happens!

Ain't that the truth. Anybody who knows me would have said I would NEVER stay with a cheatin man. Never. And I would have said the same about myself.

My friends just want the best for me. They want to see me happy again.

My BF spent a decade watching me change from a strong, confident woman to a puddle of weakness due to my H's emotional abuse, infidelities, etc. She watched me date for years before marriage, every man I dated worshipped me (cuzzz I was filling the admiration need??? lol). Then she watched me marry a man who was the exact opposite (ya let's not get into the freudian reasons for that). She just wanted to see me with a man who treated me with respect, and appreciated me. So I can't blame her for not supporting this recovery, she just sees it as more of the same with a man who she feels doesn't deserve me.

As for other close friends, they like to think that if it were them they would NEVER put up with this. So it has made them lose respect for me because they think I gave him a free pass.

So ya, it all gives me shame for staying, I won't deny it.

I just wish he would take the opportunity to prove them all wrong. But plans aren't made of wishes now are they.

W
W
Well WhoWeAre, I have been annoyed all day with your posts. Because I just felt like you didn't quite understand where I was coming from and that you were picking out the negative and not all the positive things I have accomplished, and there are some.

Painting ME as the resentful and bitter B who just wasn't giving my H a fair shake, when in fact I think I have given him more than a fair shake.

You seemed to have lost all hope. There was another poster who wrote "we are tired" and I started to respond "then stop fighting" but the message got lost. At least he was saying "we are tired". You are saying "I am tired". Tell your husband that you are tired and you need him to help you.

But, I must say this is a very impactful post. Because the answer is YES, I think he CAN learn to satisfy my SF needs and YES, I also think he can learn to be a caring partner. And I do not tell him that every day. In fact, I worked so hard to make him understand that he is not God's greatest gift to women, that he is not entitled to cheat, that he is LESS than he thinks he is, I am not quite sure how to send the opposite message. At least without it sounding like it isn't genuine.

I do think it is possible. I wouldn't be here if I didn't (at least I hope I would not be that dense). What I do not know is if he WANTS to do all that. He says he does, but actions speak louder than words, ya know? I guess my lack of faith in him has more to do with his desire and intent than his ability.

You have really hit the nail on the head, because I do not build him up in this way. Not by a long shot. I worked very hard to lay down the resentment and stop tearing him down. But build him up? That still seems like SO FAR OFF. I feel, somewhat, like he needs to earn that from me too. Am I wrong in that? Is this what he meant when he said he was waiting for me to 'rescue him?' Waiting for me to encourage him that he can do this?

Again, where is his responsibility in this? Nobody is encouraging me, other than the occasional encouraging post here (along with many rather 'educational' ones). I am finding it inside myself to do it. Why should I now be responsible for holding his head up along with my own?

But thank you for this insightful post. Sorry for being so snippy all day.

I was poking at your open wound, you can growl at me all that you want.

Hopefully, you have beaten him down enough to have some confidence that he will not let you down again. Now it is time for you to build each other up and use MB to give you a framework. His responsibility is to be part of the team that makes your marriage what it should always have been. Let him know that you need him and believe in him. That you do not want to tell him what to do but you want to figure out what to do together. Explain to him why you think MB will help. Let him tell you what he doesn't like about it. Pick a way to test drive the program to figure out what it means for you and H.

Last edited by WhoAreWE; 08/20/12 04:32 PM.

Me-41 (WW)
DH-46 (BH)
DD-7, DS-11, DD-15
S
S
Originally Posted by WhoAreWE
I cannot figure out my own top ENs so I am amazed at people who know themselves well enough.
What's your story, WAW? How long have you been studying MB, and what success have you had putting it into practice on your own marriage?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
W
Many are saying it is time to walk. That is a definitely a good option.

If she isn't ready to make that choice then they have to resolve the SF issue. They cannot avoid it. Forget everything else. Spend 25 hours a week of UA time naked with each other until the man starts to feel comfortable again with SF. Play cards, watch TV, clean the house, anything you can do at home. Do it naked. It is a time for desperate measures.

I am not suggesting that as the only solution but they need to POJA and figure out how they can get him playing in the SF game. It matters a lot to her. And she can train him with the rest of MB working in this one area as an example. He should have fun to learning.

I don't think my kids would appreciate us walking around here naked all the time...neighbors might not mind tho!

(but I've told ya all about my neighbors...)

OK. If not naked, how about short dress or short shorts with tank shirt? He can just wear normal clothes or the kids might freak out. Some moms walking around in sexy clothes in public so you can do it at home. Clothes off 20 minutes after the last kid goes to bed.

Me-41 (WW)
DH-46 (BH)
DD-7, DS-11, DD-15
U
OP Offline
U
H's top EN's are 1) RC 2) DS 3) Affection. I think SF is 5th or 6th.

Do you believe that those three areas make your husband's love bank fill the most? With all your efforts and your feelings of not making any progress. Is it possible that those are NOT his top? For example, does he really feel "very fulfilled" when you take care of "cooking meals, washing dishes, washing and ironing clothes, house cleaning and child care"? You do not want to work hard at this stuff if he just "likes" it... you want him to be "very fulfilled" when you do it. I will admit that I could never meet the DS EN. I think I would have to hire a maid and hope that my husband did not fall in love with the maid.

Seriously, if your husband does not understand MB very well you might not have gotten a good list of top ENs. I cannot figure out my own top ENs so I am amazed at people who know themselves well enough.

RC = yes. When we do RC (that he likes) together he talks over the top about how much he loves doing it with me. So, I have proof that this is a top EN. However, this has to be RC that is important to HIM, such as one of his hobbies or a mutual hobby that he really enjoys, if it is something that I enjoy and not him it doesn't seem to really fill a need at all, I've noticed.

DS = absolutely a need of his. It is the single greatest topic of discontent he has communicated with me since we have been married. But maybe that is just because I am so bad at it:)

Affection = IDK about this one. For the first decade of our relationship, much like he rejected me for OS or SF, he also rejected any form of affection. Like I mentioned, he did not LIKE that I ran my fingers through his hair. It has only been since the trickle truth phase and following DDay that it seems to be very important to him. IDK why that is.

I do think he understands EN's pretty well, and put a lot of effort into deciphering his. We have done the questionairre twice now and the second time he sat listening to Dr H's audio on the description of each EN as he was doing it, to make sure he got it right. So I think he at least thinks these are his top EN's, who am I to say different (without DJing, of course).

U
OP Offline
U
I was poking at your open wound, you can growl at me all that you want.

Hopefully, you have beaten him down enough to have some confidence that he will not let you down again. Now it is time for you to build each other up and use MB to give you a framework. His responsibility is to be part of the team that makes your marriage what it should always have been. Let him know that you need him and believe in him. That you do not want to tell him what to do but you want to figure out what to do together. Explain to him why you think MB will help. Let him tell you what he doesn't like about it. Pick a way to test drive the program to figure out what it means for you and H.

FYI he is on board verbally with MB. There is nothing about it that he doesn't like, or that he fights against. He verbally embraces it. It is following through with ACTION that he lacks. Such as, we can do the home program, find out how to POJA. Decide to POJA SF for instance. Use POJA to put together an action plan on things we both can do to make SF more satisfying. But then, he doesn't do it. He doesn't act on it. So it is a matter of him not acting, not a matter of him not agreeing with the program.

Its like saying, I want to lose weight, I need to lose weight, I am going to lose weight, here is my action plan for dieting and working out. And then going to watch tv and eat a cookie.

U
OP Offline
U
OK. If not naked, how about short dress or short shorts with tank shirt? He can just wear normal clothes or the kids might freak out. Some moms walking around in sexy clothes in public so you can do it at home. Clothes off 20 minutes after the last kid goes to bed.

Um, are you one of my neighbors? Just asking.

Well, we do NOT live in a warm state. So just an FYI about dressing skimpily, especially in public. I have already broken out jeans and sweatshirts and will be in boots and a parka by November, if I have any say in it (I love the cold).

That being said. I love cleavage and almost always show cleavage. And as far as short skirts, I do have one. A short one with a slit up the back. I wore it for date night a couple weeks ago and my daughter commented to me about how I better watch the way I sit down and get up because she could see my underwear. Not sure that skirt will fly at home doing the chores. My poor boys will have nightmares.

So cleavage with jeans is as hoochie mama as it will get around here in the winter.

U
OP Offline
U
I'm sure the motivation to "build him up" has been lacking because his account with you is low. He's not meeting your #1 need and he is withdrawing units by LBing...with his withdrawal and stonewalling.

He's got to earn "building up" as has been pointed out. He doesn't do that when he gets upset and withdraws instead of doing something about the issues.

SO, I guess one could argue, which came first the chicken or the egg? Do we feel bad for Mr. UW because he isn't getting built up and he needs to be in order to be able to fulfill his wife's needs? Or, do we say he needs to earn building up in order to be built up? Hmmm....

My solution to this would be to honestly and genuinely compliment him in things that he deserves to be - but not in areas where he hasn't earned. That would not be honest.

I agree in all and I have been trying to do that.

When I feel a compliment coming on I am quick to give it to him. Generally they are in regards to his FS, because he does a very good job of taking care of our family that way and it makes me feel very taken care of lately. And also in regards to how sexy I think he is...lol. Ya ya I just caught on to how not subtle and assertive that is. I can't help it. I think my H is sexy and why shouldn't I be able to tell him that!

He has ASKED me to compliment him on things that I do not feel he deserves to be complimented on. For instance (and I wrote about this here) he once told me he was disappointed that I didn't compliment him on what a good job he was doing on his MB work. Now after 1 1/2 yrs of doing nothing in recovery, not even dusting the books off and bringing them up from the basement, then bringing them up and starting our at home program again, and he was at the time (and now) putting in maybe a 25% effort, I was not super thrilled about complimenting him on this. I did not feel he had earned it yet. His theory was why should I work hard when you don't appreciate it? Because you OWE IT TO ME. You work hard and THEN I will appreciate it, ya know? Its like saying you let me eat dessert, and THEN I will eat my dinner. No, you eat dinner and earn your dessert.

W
W
Use POJA to put together an action plan on things we both can do to make SF more satisfying. But then, he doesn't do it. He doesn't act on it. So it is a matter of him not acting, not a matter of him not agreeing with the program.

My thought... do not plan so far out in advance. It makes it overwhelming. POJA whether you want to have SF each night. If you decide yes. POJA how you want to get started or maybe who will lead the dance. POJA whatever you need to set the bounds for a good session.

Its like saying, I want to lose weight, I need to lose weight, I am going to lose weight, here is my action plan for dieting and working out. And then going to watch tv and eat a cookie.

Man this is a great opportunity for POJA. Someone else suggested POJAing your lunch plans. "Honey, I going to lunch. How would you feel if I went to McDonald's?" My husband would certainly not enthusiastically agree with me doing that. The poster was using that as a way to use a simple situation to practice POJA. However, in your case it might actually help your husband help you.

Me-41 (WW)
DH-46 (BH)
DD-7, DS-11, DD-15
J
J
If you are looking at changing the wway you dress etc, it would pay to ask your husband if likes Samantha or Charlotte, you may be surprised at the answer.

HHH Spot on again

U
OP Offline
U
I wasn't really saying we were watching tv and eating cookies. I was using it as an analogy.

But I hear what you are saying about doing it on a one time event.

What we were discussing and POJAing is why he has an overall lack of desire for SF, and what we can do to increase that. That could not be 'fixed' in a one time POJA.

U
OP Offline
U
Who is Samantha and who is Charlotte? And why would I be encouraging my H to compare me to either one of them?

U
OP Offline
U
Also, we have been through this whole 'how to dress' thing. I have asked H, he has answered, I have complied, for the most part.

U
OP Offline
U
And it hasn't changed anything, btw.

W
W
He has ASKED me to compliment him on things that I do not feel he deserves to be complimented on. For instance (and I wrote about this here) he once told me he was disappointed that I didn't compliment him on what a good job he was doing on his MB work. Now after 1 1/2 yrs of doing nothing in recovery, not even dusting the books off and bringing them up from the basement, then bringing them up and starting our at home program again, and he was at the time (and now) putting in maybe a 25% effort, I was not super thrilled about complimenting him on this. I did not feel he had earned it yet. His theory was why should I work hard when you don't appreciate it? Because you OWE IT TO ME. You work hard and THEN I will appreciate it, ya know? Its like saying you let me eat dessert, and THEN I will eat my dinner. No, you eat dinner and earn your dessert.

Before you accept any of my opinions you should know I often eat dessert before dinner.

I think you should appreciate his effort because you want him and your marriage to succeed. You are hurting your husband by not appreciating his efforts. Maybe it is a DJ that his efforts are not good enough?

It would not surprise me if Admiration is closer to the top of his EN list then either of you think. It may just be a temporary state while you are struggling through these issues. It seems to be a repeated theme that he is begging for compliments.

"Admiration is one of the easiest needs to meet. Just a word of appreciation, and presto, you've made someone's day. On the other hand, it's also easy to be critical. A trivial word of rebuke can set some people on their heels, ruining their day and withdrawing love units at an alarming rate. "

Wow! That sounds like me. I guess I know my top EN now.

Me-41 (WW)
DH-46 (BH)
DD-7, DS-11, DD-15
U
OP Offline
U
Admiration is my #2 need so I get it.

But I also think it has to be given in an O&H way.

A 25% effort 2 years into recovery is NOT enough. Why on earth would I indicate that it is? I don't see that as a DJ at all. For us to have any form of recovery, MORE is required from him. He has the ability to give more, he just chooses not to for whatever reason. Why would I thank him and compliment him for that?

Page 34 of 51 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,118 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation