Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
I
Originally Posted by PurpleNurple
at least that's how I would think it would be handled.

You're right. He is 'handling' you, but you allow it.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
I am quite open to the fact that he could be fulfilling his needs with women, but it would be mental, not physical.

Wouldn't that be just as damaging to your marriage?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Because the things like gawking trigger the past for me as well as the hurt it causes at the present time.

It would be like saying to DH, "ok here is something that may help us to overcome our problems". I'm telling you that he will take it as I can't let go of what he did to me in the past. He wants me to forget that there ever was a past history. I can't completely, and when I do get to that point that it is almost an afterthought then he does something stupid to trigger it and then wonders why I can't let it go. But he takes offense that I associate the stupid things he does in the present with what happened in the past.

Past history or not, normal women are horrendously offended by their husbands gawking at other women, and normal, decent husbands do not do this, because it hurts the person that they promised to love and protect above all others.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
Yes there have been more EA over the years besides what I mentioned first time around. Internet affairs, flirting, ex-GF's contacting him by phone out of the blue. (Yes these were out of the blue without his initiating it). The only physical aspect was the OP that I gave info on. He kissed her. I was never in denial of these instances, I just never made a big deal since they were only EA's until I found out about the last instance with the kiss. It's now down to eye wondering.

You are getting great advice.

This above really jumped out at me.

With this background, you need to understand, this is not just "out of the blue without his initiating it" -- that IS betrayed spouse fog. Your H is actively pursuing getting his needs met outside of M. This doesn't just happen (multiple As) to a WS by accident.

Unless he has been poly'd, I am certain -- CERTAIN! -- you do not have the full truth about the extent of these affairs (what happened and if there are more).

My own personal experience and from what I have seen over and over on the forum, waywards with this type of background (long history of having a secret second life and multiple affairs), the BS doesn't get the full truth until they schedule the poly. I can't emphasize this enough.

POLY, make sure this is part of the recovery plan you present to him...

Last edited by SusieQ; 10/09/12 12:53 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by markos
I am quite open to the fact that he could be fulfilling his needs with women, but it would be mental, not physical.

Wouldn't that be just as damaging to your marriage?

Yes Markos it is very damaging.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by markos
Because the things like gawking trigger the past for me as well as the hurt it causes at the present time.

It would be like saying to DH, "ok here is something that may help us to overcome our problems". I'm telling you that he will take it as I can't let go of what he did to me in the past. He wants me to forget that there ever was a past history. I can't completely, and when I do get to that point that it is almost an afterthought then he does something stupid to trigger it and then wonders why I can't let it go. But he takes offense that I associate the stupid things he does in the present with what happened in the past.

Past history or not, normal women are horrendously offended by their husbands gawking at other women, and normal, decent husbands do not do this, because it hurts the person that they promised to love and protect above all others.

Thanks for pointing this out from a guys perspective Markos.

P
OP Offline
P
SusieQ, I realize that yes I'm getting some really good advice here, but what really seems to be lost is direct answers to the questions that I ask. I'm not in a fog, I'm not in denial, I know what my DH is capable of. And yes, when the 2 times that the exGFs contacted him it was by their initiating it, not his. He's capable of being a selfish insensitive jerk who has cheated in one form or another. In any form it's all the same to me emotionally.

Would it be easier if I posted my whole history of every detail I know/have had with him? The details of all of the A's (of any type) is neither here nor there. I have not deluded myself into thinking that he is never again capable of another one, which is why I haven't trusted him in the last 4 years.

So again, please, at what point would I tell him the advice that Pep gave? Now or wait until I catch him looking at other women again?

I'm really not trying to be dense here, I get and agree with most of what's been said, but I am the type of person that overanalyzes everything therefore I need reasons and detailed info to make sure I understand everything beforehand otherwise I just botch it all up.

S
S
I'm not in a fog, I'm not in denial, I know what my DH is capable of. And yes, when the 2 times that the exGFs contacted him it was by their initiating it, not his.

Wasn't one of his affairs with someone he met through work?

Besides you missed my point -- this type of person (SSL & poor boundaries/multiple affairs, crossing the line with the opposite sex) -- it would very imprudent for you to think you have the full story about what he has been doing behind your back.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
I
I
So again, please, at what point would I tell him the advice that Pep gave? Now or wait until I catch him looking at other women again?

Do it now.

And I would get a VARs, GPS and a keylogger too. I realise you are snooping somewhat, phone records etc, but its not really the adequate level of snooping post affair with someone who displays piss-poor boundaries.

Would you really be shocked if you overheard him flirting with someone on the phone when you weren't in earshot? I wouldn't.

I
I
I'm curious why you think you need a specific opportunity to ask your spouse to help make you safer?

If we need our spouse to do something for us, we speak up.

Is this because you are always getting a defensive reaction when you ask for his help or to modify his behaviour?

Remember you will phrase it as a RESPECTFUL request. No hint of moodiness, tears or even apprehensiveness. Bright and businesslike.

If he gets defensive, you're very busy and have to dash. Don't hang around to get caught in his anger-trap

Once you've made your request, your part is done and its his job to resolve your complaint.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you Indie!

I
I
Tell us how you get on.

Remember the brighter and calmer and brisker you are, the better.

You're not really interested in hanging around for excuses and blame if he's not up for it.

You're very busy smile

M
M
But he takes offense that I associate the stupid things he does in the present with what happened in the past.

Feigning offense at your hurt feelings is more indication that he doesn't care about your feelings. He does this to throw you off balance. You don't control your triggers...........BUT HE DOES.

And he doesn't care.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,183 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation