Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 67 1 2 3 4 66 67
M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
We've spent more time together in the past year, but I still feel angry a lot of the time and think about it all of the time.

Are you pleasant to be with? Or do you bring up the affair and have angry outbursts?

I am not surprised that you are still angry and are still thinking about it. When the present is not happy, our minds tend to wander to past tragedies.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
On the radio archives are two segments I have summarized for you. If BrainHurts can link them in her own special way smile , that would be even better, so you could hear it for yourself. They are from July 25th, 2006, segments A & B.

Holy crap, that was a great post!! Wish you posted more around here!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
We did do the EN Questionnaire shortly after the A was over. I remember she listed IC as her #1. FC was in the top few. FS was listed too but she said I needed to earn twice as much. I think that one was really more reacting to the fact she had to give up her job.

We should probably do it again now that things are further out from D-Day.

IC is your place to start, then. spouses will list the non-most-intimate ENs (like FC and FS) when they are not in love. that's why it's important you start to meet IC, affection, RC, etc.

don't just "remember." you guys should fill in the ENQ every week. the important bit is "how do you like to have this need met?" it doesn't do you any good if you think you're meeting it and you're not. (and vice versa.)

you didn't answer about the children.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Letty
IC is your place to start, then. spouses will list the non-most-intimate ENs (like FC and FS) when they are not in love. that's why it's important you start to meet IC, affection, RC, etc.

don't just "remember." you guys should fill in the ENQ every week. the important bit is "how do you like to have this need met?" it doesn't do you any good if you think you're meeting it and you're not. (and vice versa.)

you didn't answer about the children.

IC is something we are working on. Really? Everty week? They are very long. Not sure I can sell that.

We have two children. One is 5 and the other will be 2 in April. It;s in my initial post.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
I just want to point out that UA time should always be spent meeting the top 4 intimate emotional needs of conversation, affection, recreational companionship and sexual fulfillment. Those are the ENs that create the greatest lovebank deposits the fastest.

When you say "IC" do you mean conversation?

Exposure 101

M
M
What IS IC??

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Are you pleasant to be with? Or do you bring up the affair and have angry outbursts?

I am not surprised that you are still angry and are still thinking about it. When the present is not happy, our minds tend to wander to past tragedies.

I'll admit to some angry outbursts here and there. I know it's a LB but my emotions have gotten the better of me a few times since the A came out. It's not all the time though. We were actually one of those couples that "never fought". I used to think that was a good thing.

I took IC to mean Intimate Conversation.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
G
G
FightTheFight,

The single sided attraction hurts alot, it will hurt alot more if you put up with it for another 20 years. That is what I did in my marriage as my W never got back her attraction for me after OM2, but I didn't understand.

Did you make a list of questions about the affair for a polygraph? If your W is holding back significant details about the affair your marriage will never truly recover, you said you didn't know if they had intercourse or not.

The last I heard from the one enabler friend was her calling my W to let her know I had told OMW. She was afraid I was going to out her too.

Do this OWHs a favor and let him know what is going on, most of us here wished someone in the know had done more than just watch the innocent spouse getting victimized. Remember this OW encouraged this knowing full well you have young children.

Let the school board know so that it can go on the OMs record, if he was a supervisor threaten a lawsuit.

God Bless
Gamma

M
M
I'll admit to some angry outbursts here and there. I know it's a LB but my emotions have gotten the better of me a few times since the A came out. It's not all the time though. We were actually one of those couples that "never fought". I used to think that was a good thing.

I took IC to mean Intimate Conversation.

thanks! I have been scratching my head trying to figure it out but that makes perfect sense.

If you will start going out on dates and rebuilding the love in your marriage, you won't be thinking about the affair so much. Before long it will become a distant memory of the past. Having angry outbursts erodes the love your wife feels for you, so everytime you do that, you push her away MORE.

Is there anything in particular that triggers your angry outbursts?

Exposure 101

M
M
We were actually one of those couples that "never fought". I used to think that was a good thing..

Fighting is HORRIBLE for marriages. Horrible. One fight can cause massive lovebank withdrawals that can take weeks to overcome.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Here are the clips LWFH was talking about.

Radio Clip on Wife Never Liking Sex
Segment #2

Tell us what you think.

We listened to these last night. It almost sounds just like us! It was good to hear what Dr Harley had to say. There may be hope!

I'm not sure the lady on the show was convinced though. She was only a week out from D-Day. I wonder what happened?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
We were actually one of those couples that "never fought". I used to think that was a good thing..

Fighting is HORRIBLE for marriages. Horrible. One fight can cause massive lovebank withdrawals that can take weeks to overcome.

I hear what you are saying, but "never fight" a lot of times means "we avoid conflicts". THAT has led us to IB and just going along with what our spouse wanted. No POJA.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/09/13 08:53 AM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
L
The woman on the show was not yet in love with her husband. It would be helpful to have follow up on her, but we do know that MB works 100% of the time if it's followed by both spouses.

Back a few conversations ago, you asked what Dr. Harley meant by a "distraction" when the woman was talking about body type she prefers. By that, I understand him to mean that body type is way down on the list of what it takes to fall in love. Once your wife is in love with you again, that you have bigger or smaller arms, broad or not-so-broad chest, will not matter in the least. A body type is not what it takes to fall in love; it takes meeting the intimate emotional needs and plenty of UA time that is the most enjoyable time of one's week.

That you are angry is understandable, but you will need to exercise extreme self control and not talk about the affair, once you have all your questions answered. It's not to give the once-adulterous spouse a free pass or a break; rather it's because talking about the affair is so unpleasant and will withdraw love units for both of you. It will NOT help to discuss it. Only rebuilding the romantic love and having a safe marriage will help overcome those feelings of anger. If you want your wife to fall in love with you, you must never raise your voice at her.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
The woman on the show was not yet in love with her husband. It would be helpful to have follow up on her, but we do know that MB works 100% of the time if it's followed by both spouses.

Back a few conversations ago, you asked what Dr. Harley meant by a "distraction" when the woman was talking about body type she prefers. By that, I understand him to mean that body type is way down on the list of what it takes to fall in love. Once your wife is in love with you again, that you have bigger or smaller arms, broad or not-so-broad chest, will not matter in the least. A body type is not what it takes to fall in love; it takes meeting the intimate emotional needs and plenty of UA time that is the most enjoyable time of one's week.

That you are angry is understandable, but you will need to exercise extreme self control and not talk about the affair, once you have all your questions answered. It's not to give the once-adulterous spouse a free pass or a break; rather it's because talking about the affair is so unpleasant and will withdraw love units for both of you. It will NOT help to discuss it. Only rebuilding the romantic love and having a safe marriage will help overcome those feelings of anger. If you want your wife to fall in love with you, you must never raise your voice at her.

I thought it was interesting that he told her she may never have been in love with him. We dated for 6 years before getting married. We were in college, not living together.

I'm not sure we were "in love" the day we got married.

I don't talk about the A any more. I still think about it, but there is really nothing left to say about it. That's primarily the reason I don't want to dredge it back up by involving the toxic friend's husband.

What has made me angry are two things. One was how much energy and passion she put into pursuing him that I don't get. Two is her lack of urgency and action in seeking solutions to our situation. Maybe she just feels hopeless because she doesn't believe she can be attracted to me. I hope the radio segment and Q&A article have planted a seed.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/09/13 09:17 AM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Oh, and after reading the article, she was complaining that it didn't give any specific examples of things to try. Her problem, seems to be in the arousal stage. Any idea of things to try?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
L
Oh, and after reading the article, she was complaining that it didn't give any specific examples of things to try. Her problem, seems to be in the arousal stage. Any idea of things to try?

Dr. Harley recommends a book called "Woman's Orgasm" by Klein-Graber. It's no longer in print but I found it on Amazon for a good price. Although its last printing was in 1970, it has some pretty helpful steps and information in it. Plenty of specifics.

Give yourselves time to rebuild the romantic love. This whole process of learning to enjoy SF with you needs to be enjoyable for her and without anxiety. Not saying at all that you are making it that way, but the whole topic can become difficult after an affair.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
I hear what you are saying, but "never fight" a lot of times means "we avoid conflicts". THAT has led us to IB and just going along with what our spouse wanted. No POJA.

Avoiding conflicts is better than fighting though. Fighting causes damage that is very hard to overcome. This program will teach you to resolve conflicts in a way that makes you both happy.

Exposure 101

M
M
FF, this is the most important part of this program. Nothing we tell you to try will have any effect unless you get 20+ hours of undivided attention time. This program will not work without it. So that is where I would suggest you start.

[
We have started to schedule UA time together and we have read and watched some of the free stuff on the site. We have both read HNHN.

She is not really enthusiastic about it though. I seem to be the one to have to suggest this stuff.

Hi, FF, welcome to Marriage Builders. I have read through your thread and I will just tell you that the problem is that she has fallen out of love. You don't spend enough time together to sustain the love in your marriage. And that is the ENTIRE reason she is not attracted to you and does not want to spend time with you.

If you spent 20+ hours per week of UA time with her, she would fall back in love again. But you have to really do it. Bring the body and the mind will follow. It will take 8 to 12 weeks for her to fall in love again if you do this.

I would order the workbook, Five Steps to Romantic Love [$11 on this website] and tear out the UA worksheet in the back and make copies. Start scheduling 20+ hours per week with your wife. Find fun things to do; write out the dates, times, etc. Spend that time meeting these the top 4 INTIMATE emotional needs of conversation, affection, recreational companionship and sexual fulfillment. That will make the most radical changes in the shortest amount of time.

Do you have the book Surviving an Affair?

The Policy of Undivided Attention

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"First I fix the relationship, and nine times out of ten, sexual problems disappear, with or without unresolved childhood experiences. I spend very little time fixing sexual problems these days because most couples I counsel don't have sexual problems after they have learned to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement."

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5013_qa.html

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 67 1 2 3 4 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 323 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation