Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
RMX Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I got a call from the adoptive mother of my OC (Daughter 14) and she wants to see us. She wanted to see us next week, but a trip like this requires a lot of planning and the kids are in school.

I got a picture of her and she is so beautiful, mostly looks like her mom and not much of POSOM.

I can't really write much else about how I feel, as I am all over the place. Anything I write here will probably not be applicable from one hour to the next for awhile.

I am so glad the POSOM didnt get my FWW to have a abortion.

Did I mention shes beautiful?

Will post more later.

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
DS 14, OC-D 12 (given up for adoption), DS-8, DD-5
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
P
P
Wow!

G
G
RMX,

This had to happen, and this is a good age for it to happen, although any age is better than never, I didn't get to reunite until I was about 35.

God Bless
Gamma

S
S
Poor child. I hope her life has been good.

R
RMX Offline OP
OP Offline
R

SA, I don't understand your post. Can you elaborate?

Thanks in advance

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
B
B
How nerve wracking! I hope you have a wonderful time getting to know each other smile

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
R
RMX Offline OP
OP Offline
R
OK, here is what I know so far.

We call the adoptive mother just mother, and I will refer to her as simply mother, we dont use the word "adoptive" in front. Just our preference, not knocking anyone who does it differently.

We've told the mother that we have a "no-contact" in place with the POSOM. We don't want to open the door to contact for any reason, he has been out of our lives for several years and we want to keep it that way.

We (FWW and I) have left it up to the her mom as to whether or not to tell OC/DD about her genetic father, and the mother is leaning towards
NOT telling her.

If OC isn't told about POSOM, I will struggle with being a liar, because when the question "Why did you give me up" is asked, the reasons will be different than what they actually are.

Vets... I have reservations about lieing to her, it feels wrong.

It just feels wrong to lie to someone that I have watched and grown attached to for so long.

Your comments (even negative) are appreciated.

Last edited by RMX; 03/19/13 11:50 AM.

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
W
W
I get a knot in the pit of my stomach any time someone says they're going to lie... She will eventually find out the truth and blame you for hiding it from her. Then you'll be the bad guy and POSOM will be the good guy. Not a good position to be in IMHO.

I say, tell her now. It's her decision whether she develops a relationship with her Bio dad. Just make sure the boundaries are set so that she doesn't tell you anything about him.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
J
J
The truth will come out.
My aunt and uncle didn't know the truths until medical conditions in their 40s required blood work.
Then they learned they had been lied to about their real father!

Harley's advice is to have no contact with the child though.

P
P
In my house, the "REAL FATHER"and the "REAL MOTHER" are the ones who changed diapers, tended to boo-boos, disciplined, educated, comforted, etc etc etc. But, I admit a strong bias.

R
RMX Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Pep, we agree 100%

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
G
G
RMX,

If OC isn't told about POSOM, I will struggle with being a liar, because when the question "Why did you give me up" is asked, the reasons will be different than what they actually are.

If there is a single lesson to MBs I think it would be DON'T LIE, if only that rule was followed most of the affairs couldn't have happened, your gut is correct.

There is a real issue here in that you are not the OC bio father, and should OM die before his bio OC gets to see OM there may be a lifetime of resentment.

I did not get to see my biological Mother because the communication was blocked and lies were maintained, it's bitter to have no contact except for a grave stone.

God Bless
Gamma

F
F
It is up to her mom, not you and FWW to decide to tell her the truth. Until that time you need a response that is not a lie but leaves the decision up to the person who gets to decide what and when to tell the child.

Sending hugs as I know the emotions this must be stirring like a hurricane in you.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
R
RMX Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well ff, what would you say, my story is almost the same as every other ww with a OC. I want this to be a happy reunion. I want her to trust me.

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
R
RMX Offline OP
OP Offline
R
"Your mom thought it best that fww and I not mention posom"?

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
M
M
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
Poor child. I hope her life has been good.
Poor child? What is poor about this child?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
S
Originally Posted by RMX
We (FWW and I) have left it up to the her mom as to whether or not to tell OC/DD about her genetic father, and the mother is leaning towards
NOT telling her.
Come on - she must have been told something already.

She knows that her bio mother gave her up for adoption. She has asked to see bio mother and you will be there too - so she knows that her bio mother is married. She must know that you (the married couple) have a son older than her and some younger children.

She must have asked about bio father before now. Why wouldn't her mother have told her that her bio parents had an affair and her bio mother gave her up for adoption? How has the mother managed to tell her about you, her bio mother and her husband, to the point of arranging this meeting, and yet not answered questions about who her bio father was, and what were the circumstances of her being born?

Surely the daughter is not going to ask you before she has ever asked her mother about him?

You need to tell her the same thing her mother tells her when she asks. Surely her mother doesn't lie to her?

Surely you've discussed this with her mother?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by Gamma
There is a real issue here in that you are not the OC bio father, and should OM die before his bio OC gets to see OM there may be a lifetime of resentment.
This is not RMX and his wife's problem to solve.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by RMX
NOT telling her.

It just feels wrong to lie to someone that I have watched and grown attached to for so long.

Your comments (even negative) are appreciated.
RMX, do not begin this journey with a lie in your pocket. Tell the truth; for two reasons: it's the right thing to do, number one. Number two: OC may well eventually find out the truth on her own. THEN what? How do you explain your lie? Just tell the truth and sleep soundly at night.

I am adopted. I won't get into the whole thing unless you would like to hear my whole story, but I was not the product of an extramarital affair. However, speaking as an adopted child from whom some of the truth of my reality was hidden: please, PLEASE tell her the truth. She is desperate to know who she is and the terms of her genesis.

Please tell her the truth.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
Originally Posted by faithful follower
It is up to her mom, not you and FWW to decide to tell her the truth. Until that time you need a response that is not a lie but leaves the decision up to the person who gets to decide what and when to tell the child.

Sending hugs as I know the emotions this must be stirring like a hurricane in you.
??? I totally disagree. Completely. Totally.

Did I say totally?

faint

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,027 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation