Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carka #2713596 03/19/13 06:29 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Carka
I found some very odd withdrawals from our checking accnt. The same night as h and his friend's outing.
There was a mini mart debit purchase and an atm withdrawal, which my h said was him at the beginning of the night.
Then about 3-4 weird random atm withdrawals. Way later on and in the downtown area. My h was not in that area according to him and his friend.
My h says those transactions are definitely not his.

I immediately call my bank and alert them that our account info was stolen and they in turn start an investigation.
My h thinks that his info was taken from the mini mart. That doesn't make sense to me because it would take time to make a fake card, right?
My bank denied the claim because they said it was h's card that was used.
Keep in mind that I'm in another state.

My theory is that h and his friend went balls to the wall because my h was moving soon and they wanting to have one last *fun* night. And maybe he is lying because they went to strip clubs and what not. H denies this up and down. He swears that those transactions had nothing to do with him and that night went exactly as he said. H's friend even called me and confirmed h story.
I talked with h and tried to get him to fess up but to no avail.
Isn't it odd that the thieves did this on the one night during your separation that he was out with his friend, and actually was out in the town?

Since the bank says that your H's card was used, how did the thieves get the number that you need to tap in (the PIN here in the UK) to make a transaction? A stolen card is no use in machines or shops without that number. you can make online purchases with a stolen card, but not machine or shop purchases. How did they accomplish this?

Make him take a polygraph about this.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2713599 03/19/13 06:48 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SugarCane
If your H was claiming that he didn't make those withdrawals, he should have filed a fraud report with his CC company. I've had my card hacked about twice, and I certainly didn't claim that it wasn't me, while letting the thief keep the money and paying the bill myself.

Here in the UK, cash machines (ATMs) take four photographs of the person using the machine. These are used if a crime is reported. There are also CCTV cameras all over our high streets and shopping areas, and the footage from these would be requested by a bank if necessary.

I would want to know if OW was involved and I would MAKE my H go to the police about the theft of his money in order to get to the truth.

I had our bank investigate it twice. Both times they came back and said my claim was denied.
Unfortunately, it was our debit card. If it had been our credit cards, the money would have been replaced.

A couple of the transactions in question were non bank atm machines. The ones like you would see in a bar that charge fees to use.

The money taken out of the account was over $230 not including bank fees.

Again I should add that there is absolutely no proof or questionable situations prior to and since the incident.

I'm not sure how it works here but I didn't think to go to the police. I suppose I still could. Hmmmmm?

Me: BW
DH: Had a 2yr. affair with my brother's wife.
D Day 11-10-09
Working hard on recovery!
Carka #2713600 03/19/13 06:50 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I do all the finances and have since we were married. So h knows I know what goes on in our accounts.

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713604 03/19/13 07:13 PM
V
V
Carka,

If your debit card is a Visa card those disputes are handled just like CC Visa disputes.

I do billing transactions from a company side for a living. I know more about CC transactions I'd care to! LOL

Steph

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
Carka #2713610 03/19/13 07:28 PM
S
S
I had our bank investigate it twice. Both times they came back and said my claim was denied.
Unfortunately, it was our debit card. If it had been our credit cards, the money would have been replaced.

A couple of the transactions in question were non bank atm machines. The ones like you would see in a bar that charge fees to use.

Again I should add that there is absolutely no proof or questionable situations prior to and since the incident.

I'm not sure how it works here but I didn't think to go to the police. I suppose I still could. Hmmmmm?
None of the underlined points have anything to do with what I asked you:

Wouldn't the user of this card have needed to know a number to key in?

The card cannot be used in machines - non-bank atm or not - without tapping in the ID number.

A thief would not have known that number.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by HopefulNC
Carka,

If your debit card is a Visa card those disputes are handled just like CC Visa disputes.

I do billing transactions from a company side for a living. I know more about CC transactions I'd care to! LOL

Steph
I'm sorry but there is something very seriously wrong here, and it is not a "LOL" matter. And the issue is nothing to do with the difference between debit card and credit card fraud.

Carka, your H used his card downtown on a night out when he was separated from you and is lying to you about having done that. He is prepared to let you go to the bank and the police and initiate two separate investigations, when you are already suffering PTSD from his affair and your mental health is not good to say the least. He is willing to gaslight and lie to you and risk another nervous breakdown because he was out doing something he should not have been and would rather lie and let you suffer, than own up.

This is horrifying news.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2713640 03/19/13 08:56 PM
V
V
My point Sugarcane is that most people still believe you can't dispute a debit card transaction. The bank doesn't investigate transactions and disputes, if you open a true VISA dispute then the same investigations that go into a credit card fraud go into a debit card fraud. I can talk all day about disputes, fraud, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and differences between the two. I love my job, but I can get lost in the technical side of an issue.

The fact that two disputes have been upheld by the bank says that these transactions were initiated by Carka's WH.

I wasn't LOLing her situation, I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
SugarCane #2713652 03/19/13 10:00 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C

None of the underlined points have anything to do with what I asked you:

Wouldn't the user of this card have needed to know a number to key in?

The card cannot be used in machines - non-bank atm or not - without tapping in the ID number.

A thief would not have known that number.

Yes, I know this. Which is why I'm struggling with it.

I know there had been a rash of incidents where the thieves scan the unknowing victims info and in turn make fake cards. But that does not explain how our pin number was used. Like I said, this was a debit card for our checking account.
I spoke with my h tonight and he said he can file a police report if I need it.
I don't know how to feel.

D Day 11-10-09
SugarCane #2713654 03/19/13 10:23 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by HopefulNC
Carka,

Steph
I'm sorry but there is something very seriously wrong here, and it is not a "LOL" matter. And the issue is nothing to do with the difference between debit card and credit card fraud.

Carka, your H used his card downtown on a night out when he was separated from you and is lying to you about having done that. He is prepared to let you go to the bank and the police and initiate two separate investigations, when you are already suffering PTSD from his affair and your mental health is not good to say the least. He is willing to gaslight and lie to you and risk another nervous breakdown because he was out doing something he should not have been and would rather lie and let you suffer, than own up.

This is horrifying news.

I only went through my bank. I guess I could try and go through visa.

I told him tonight that I would like to bypass all this and just have him tell me what really happened.
He didn't get angry or weird and just stuck with what he had been telling me.

I would love to just let it go and believe him. He has done all that I've asked since d day. He's changed so much and for the better. He's been there for me thick and thin. Especially with all the health issues I've had.

To give him the benefit of the doubt....the info could have been stolen prior to his night out and out of pure coincidence been used on the same evening.

Yes, I know I'm stretching there.

This happened back in sept. 2012 and I thought I'd let it go....but it doesn't sit right with me.

Could be because I don't have the fight in me right now. frown

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713661 03/19/13 10:47 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
In my initial post about the bank issue I said it happened back in oct. It was actually sept.

I went back to edit that and there was no option to do it.

just wanted to clarify.

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713732 03/20/13 08:53 AM
B
B
Why don't you have him take a polygraph?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2713733 03/20/13 08:55 AM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Why don't you have him take a polygraph?

We do not have the money for that right now.
He did say he would file a police report if it would help.

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713786 03/20/13 11:43 AM
P
P
Lots of waywards use something that is clearly true to cover up something you suspect is a lie.

Quoted from this *linked* thread

Pepperband #2713803 03/20/13 12:38 PM
B
B
Also please read this.
Please Explain Gaslighting

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2713848 03/20/13 03:04 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm familiar with gaslighting. He doesn't appear to be doing that. He's actually being very cooperative thus far.

I will be talking to his mom. She will know around what time he came home that night, as she was keeping a close eye on him while he was staying there.
I talked with him more about it today.
But from this point, I'm going to try not to bring it up to him for a little while.
I've been LB'ing him enough as it is because of how bad I feel lately.
He could very well be telling the truth. Like I said before, there's been a ton of that going on in the area. It happened to my MIL's checking and the thief took quite a bit from her. This was a while back though.
And it also happened to someone else I know.

People were also going around stealing mail out of mail boxes and whatnot.
Economically, our previous area was hit pretty hard the last several years.

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713858 03/20/13 04:12 PM
S
S
Like I said before, there's been a ton of that going on in the area. It happened to my MIL's checking and the thief took quite a bit from her. This was a while back though.

Did they use your MIL's and the other person's PIN?

Did they need a PIN to get the mail out of mailboxes?

If not, they are not the same things at all.

If you don't want an explanation of the PIN use then that's your choice to make. I know, however, that your H is not telling you the truth about this.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2713884 03/20/13 05:42 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Like I said before, there's been a ton of that going on in the area. It happened to my MIL's checking and the thief took quite a bit from her. This was a while back though.

Did they use your MIL's and the other person's PIN?

Did they need a PIN to get the mail out of mailboxes?

If not, they are not the same things at all.

If you don't want an explanation of the PIN use then that's your choice to make. I know, however, that your H is not telling you the truth about this.

Obviously they don't need a pin to take mail out of a mail box.
I'm not a complete idiot.
I was using it as an example as to how bad that kind of thing is around that area.

As far as my MIL....All I know is that money was taken directly out of her bank account. I'll ask her when I speak with her.

And how has anything that I've said made it seem as though I don't want an explanation as to how the pin was used?

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713889 03/20/13 06:02 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I find this odd. Three of the transactions were made at one place and done back to back. They were also smaller increments.
The forth and final withdrawal was larger and done not too far from that spot. After that they were not able to take anymore because it was overdrawn.
I googled the addresses.
I really want to take this up with the bank again.

The three done back to back were from a gas station and the forth was an atm machine in a bar.

Last edited by Carka; 03/20/13 06:05 PM.

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713892 03/20/13 06:10 PM
C
Carka Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The reason the bank gave me for denying the claim is that our pin was used with no issue.
They said usually a thief will have to punch in the pin several times to get it right.

D Day 11-10-09
Carka #2713897 03/20/13 06:27 PM
S
S
I will be talking to his mom. She will know around what time he came home that night, as she was keeping a close eye on him while he was staying there.
I talked with him more about it today.
But from this point, I'm going to try not to bring it up to him for a little while.
I've been LB'ing him enough as it is because of how bad I feel lately.
He could very well be telling the truth. Like I said before, there's been a ton of that going on in the area. It happened to my MIL's checking and the thief took quite a bit from her. This was a while back though.

Economically, our previous area was hit pretty hard the last several years
All of this is what made me think you don't want an explanation. Why wouldn't you bring it up to him for a little while? You are not being told the truth about this but you seem to consider it lovebusting to pursue the truth from him.

I also thought you were backing away from an explanation because of the other people's stories you brought in here. I can't see how they are relevant to the fact that your H's card was used with your H's pin when he was on a night out while separated from you. You seem to me to be using these stories to say it could have been thieves - to let your H off the hook.

Carka, I've no personal interest in this story if you are not interested in pursuing it for any reason. It's just that you brought it up and asked for advice, and reading here, I could see that a basic fact was being glossed over; the issue of the PIN. You asked for advice, so I was pointing out that responsibility for those withdrawals points directly at your H for reasons to do with the PIN.

If you don't want to bring it up with him for now, that's fine with me. If you think thieves used the card and somehow accessed the PIN, that's fine too. I didn't go after you, though. You brought this problem to this board for neutral readers to consider, and I have pointed out what I think is absolutely critical, and also blindingly obvious.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation