Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
G
Downout,

One further point, what most people expect is that the betrayed spouse keeps quiet, never asks questions and then suffers in silence for the rest of their marriage, because that is what "everyone" does.

You've taken a brave step in rejecting this reverse punishment where only the betrayed spouse pays the price.

Did your MIL cheat or is she in an affair based marriage?

God Bless
Gamma

R
R
It IS scary to be brave.

Exposing takes bravery because you can bet that you will hear things turned back on you.

Things can get down right frightingly nasty when the cruel truth is exposed and the wayward scrambles to justify their cruelty and selfishness. Nasty is to be expected.

Be brave anyway and do not feed the negativity by engaging in discussions about whether exposing was right or wrong.

(It was right, btw).

Just hold your head up high as some people chastise you for being brave and true and accept any help that may be offered from people who 'get it'. If no one seems to be wanting to help.....guess what?........it still was something that needed to be done to take control of the mess. Brave.

N
N
And lastly, dno, what exactly do you think you have put at risk by exposing? WW's (and MIL's) respect and affection? Dude, that ship sailed a looooong time ago. It may (admittedly a long shot) be possible to restore those elements to your relationship, but bending over, grabbing your ankles and screaming, "Please, Ma'am, may I have another?" is unlikely to be the vehicle to bring that about!

Now, enough hand-wringing, okay? Are you familiar with "The Joys of Exposure Pt II - The Workplace"?

D
OP Offline
D
yes MIL was cheated on

B
B
Did you send this to your MIL?

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Dear MIL, thank you for your email. I am sorry I have offended you with my tactics. I really need your help and I hope for the sake of our kids, you will support our marriage. Please understand that I love your daughter very much and want to save our marriage. I know that affairs thrive on secrecy and I have made the mistake of keeping her previous affairs secret. I won't make that mistake again. The Bible is very clear that evil should be exposed:

Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. Ephesians 5:11

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." ( John 3:19-21)

I know that you believe this is not true, so I have attached the evidence of her affair. [send her the evidence!] I wanted to avoid doing this, but you deserve to know the truth.

I love my wife and I am hoping that by bringing her affair out into the open, that someone will get through to her. That someone who cares about her will persuade her to end this destructive path. I am trying to save my family and need your help.

You are absolutely right that I have made many mistakes in this marriage. I am doing my best to turn that around. I stopped drinking in November 2012 and have worked hard to be a better husband and father.

I hope you will support our marriage for the sake of our children, if not for me. I know you love your grandchildren and they will be devastated if their mother leaves to pursue this affair.

All of my love, downnout

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

D
OP Offline
D
I guess the next questions is now what?

I know I kind of jumped in here all of a sudden, without providing much details. Wife has filed for divorce. I had the pleasure of being served in front of my kids. When she moved out I had a marriage separation agreement drafted to protect myself financially and secure my time with my kids. She signed it. I signed it. I told her after signing that I had no intention of filing for divorce, ever, that I would remain committed to her, as a husband and willing to work on our marriage. The following week she filed. Now it�s just a matter of time. 60 days from February 28th it becomes final.

Went to a divorce support group tonight, which was tuff. People 5-7-9 years after divorce and still feeling the pain. Sorry to say this, as I believe myself to be a very strong person, but I can�t see myself going down that road for years to come. I am barley making day to day.

Worst part of it all, I still love her. Truly care about her. I know your all trying to encourage me, but just really torn about hurting her like this. Such a rollercoaster of emotions. So very tired of it all.

L
L
Just take it one day at a time downnout. You ARE on a rollercoaster of emotions. Don't look that far down the road. You have found some wonderful help here. Just breathe deep, and start taking care of yourself. I know you have read around here that you can only control yourself. So, keep cleaning up your side of the street, working on changing habits and ruts into more positive habits and behaviors. You will be better for it no matter what happens with your WW.

I am glad you did the exposure!! No wayward spouse EVER likes it, but it is a crucial move on your part in efforts to save your marriage. You can't ever recover a marriage while they are in an affair, so you have done the right thing. I know it doesn't feel like it, but you have kept it all so secret all of these years thinking you were protecting her. What you were doing was enabling her at YOUR OWN expense. Never, EVER do that again!!!

BS Me 47,WH 49
DS's x3 17, 10, 7
Multiple D-Days
No disclosure by WH. No EP's, no transparency, no guilt or remorse either.
Plan C DOES NOT WORK!
N
N
Sorry to say this, as I believe myself to be a very strong person, but I can�t see myself going down that road for years to come.

I do not like the implication here, amigo, and if you are suggesting what I infer, you need to man up right now.

Your children are going to need a strong father, more if this does go all the way to dissolution than they did when your family was together. You must be there to protect them from the predictable foolish choices WW will make in the future - including the likely succession of "beaus" in her pursuit of her fantasy man.

This is one of the secondary benefits of exposure. It establishes "fault" in the eyes of any/all objective observers, for all time. Those observers will include your kids. To them it will not be, "Mommy and Daddy got divorced because they couldn't get along." It will be, "Mommy and Daddy got divorced because Mommy committed adultery with the first of her many subsequent boyfriends."

Your strong, moral presence will be the proof of that statement.

D
OP Offline
D
NeverGuessed,
Your 100% correct, man up! Today is a new day.

After being well rested, which hasn�t happened in months, I would just like to make a few personal notes about my feelings this morning.

1. I take no pleasure in exposing WW, I know her heart is probably in turmoil right now. But I need to realize that it was her actions, reuniting with a former lover that led to this, I just put the truth out there for once.

2. I also have zero desire for my children (7,5 and 2) to ever think of their mother as an adulterer.

3. MIL�s e-mail means nothing. I expected to be put on the firing line, but was being hopeful for some sort of support from WW side of the ring. It is ironic how she decides to comment, now, on the subject. I texted MIL and even called her about what was going on in our marriage over the last 6 months. Once about WW not coming come till 130am, how she admitted to going out dancing with other men and wore it like a badge of honor, NO REPLY. Another text, where I stated that I was concerned about her multiple late nights out, while I stayed home with our children, NO REPLY. Another text to MIL when I confronted WW and OM in a wallgreens parking lot, I let MIL know how she didn�t come home that night, but after confronting them both (nothing happened between me and OM, he sat in his truck the whole time) thought it would be best for MIL to know that I had no idea where she was, and hopefully she�s ok, NO REPLY. A phone call to MIL when I took my kids to dinner and bumped into them at a local restaurant, luckily the kids didn�t see. I asked MIL how can I continue to practice unconditional love when she�s pursing this relationship again, why is WW doing this, MIL reply; it is what it is, you need to accept that this marriage is over and be the best dad you can be. And by the way, MIL never once praised me for protecting WW from any and all fallout after the first admitted affair.

4. I don�t know that I even want her back� it was too emotionally painful working through the first affair. Every day that goes by, the more I can�t stand what she�s doing/done. But God, not I, will be the ultimate decider if we should become a family unit again. I am going to continue to seek His will for this family, and pray that He makes it known to me, in His timing.

5. I have to see WW today� a day after exposure, ughh�. I coach both my sons� baseball teams and she will be there. Sure daggers will be flying in my direction for those 4 hours. Hopefully she just drops them off so I can concentrate on the task at hand.

M
M
Have you told your 2 older sons about their mothers affair? If not, I would tell them today in very clear terms. If you don't, she will be free to lie to them and they will be introduced to her OM.

Another thing that concerns me is that the children are being pulled from their own home to accommodate her affair. Is there a court order that commands this horrible custody arrangement?

Do you live in a state where adultery is taken into consideration? Even in many no fault states, it is a factor when deciding custody.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
p.s. if you haven't filed for divorce, I would do that pronto in order to protect yourself legally. I would file on grounds of adultery, if you can, and go for primary custody of your kids since she is an unfit parent. I would have it put in your custody agreement that your children not be exposed to her adultery partner.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
You don't want your kids to think of mom as an adulterer but they are thinking all kinds of things about you two being separate most of the time.

You can simply state "Mom and I are struggling in our marriage. Mom is dating other men and married women should not date anyone but their husband."

Facts for kids to have to deal with the horrors going on around them in their family.

They will know why you are often sad and not wonder what the heck is going on with the two most important people on the planet.

D
OP Offline
D
A positive FB reply from WW family member:

WW family memeber - Wow BS I'm really sorry to hear this has been going on. I had no clue. Of course it's not like WW and I are that close anymore. I'm sorry your family is going through this. I don't even know what to say. I've only heard one side and now I've heard yours. You guys will stay in my prayers. I hope everything works out.

BS - thank you, please keep praying for us and our children.

WW family member - U guys r always in our prayers. Thanks for sharing how u feel it�s got be hard to tell everyone. But u r doing the right thing and I hope WS realizes what u guys have as a family.

BS - thanks for understanding... I didn�t want to do this, but there is too much at stake this time.

WW family memebr - I understand completely

M
M
nice!

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
That is where I draw the line, telling my kids. One just turned 7 the other 5 a few months ago. They would have zero comprehension of whats happening. Doing that to them is NOT right. Someone has to agree with my discretion on this� if the kids are ever told, it will be in the company of a trusted professional or spiritual leader, with their father present.

M
M
Originally Posted by downnout
That is where I draw the line, telling my kids. One just turned 7 the other 5 a few months ago. They would have zero comprehension of whats happening. Doing that to them is NOT right. Someone has to agree with my discretion on this� if the kids are ever told, it will be in the company of a trusted professional or spiritual leader, with their father present.

You are making a huge mistake that most professionals would never condone. Giving children false explanations about the source of the breakup of their family just teaches them to be dishonest. It causes mass confusion and leaves them vulnerable to your wife's lies. I assure you that your wife will lie to them about why their family is being torn apart.

Dr Harley is a licensed clinical psychologist with 40 years of experience specializing in infidelity. He is the founder of Marriage Builders and here are some of his published quotes:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

W
W
Down,

**edit**

By the way, your marriage, as you knew it, is over. If you rebuild/recover, it will be a different one. You did nothing wrong.

Now get busy on the next steps. Make sure d-bag is exposed, nuclear style. His family, friends, coworkers should know that he cannot be trusted with anyone's most prized possessions (their family). You did great with the first round of exposure.

Last edited by Fireproof; 03/23/13 11:10 AM. Reason: TOS non MB material

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
M
M
You HURT your kids by lying to them about your wife's affair. They probably sense what is really happening here and when you don't validate their instincts, you cause them to be confused and teach them to doubt their instincts. They need the truth and they need moral guidance from the ONE parent they have. To not tell them and give them moral guidance is a dereliction of duty. I would strongly suggest you reconsider that stance, for their sake.

If you don't give them moral guidance, I assure you that your wife will give them IMMORAL guidance. Your silence leaves them vulnerable to her corruption.

Exposure 101

F
F
A reminder to posters to help the OP with Marriage Builders solutions. The purpose of this forum is to help posters with MB, not to share personal philosophies. Thank you.

M
M
down, ask yourself this: why is it ok for your wife to tell them lies but not ok for you to tell them the truth? Does that make any sense? think

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation