Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
G
G
Well, she knows where to find me here.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted By: Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
here

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

ML,I read your response on another thread and I have a question. My wife gave me a NC letter to look over last week which was written using the above as a template. This was a surprise because she and OM last spoke on the phone the morning after I confronted her with my suspicions and very little evidence on 1/9/12. The last contact was 2/9/12 via text message to OM telling him to not respond to any email or text as it would be me and not her.

The last phone call apparently consisted of the jig is up, him telling her what lies to tell me, they may not be able to talk again and that they loved each other. I really never considered the NC letter because of how things went down and the time that's passed . Is this something that she should do? Thanks for any advise.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by LatefortheSky
Originally Posted By: Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
here

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

ML,I read your response on another thread and I have a question. My wife gave me a NC letter to look over last week which was written using the above as a template. This was a surprise because she and OM last spoke on the phone the morning after I confronted her with my suspicions and very little evidence on 1/9/12. The last contact was 2/9/12 via text message to OM telling him to not respond to any email or text as it would be me and not her.

The last phone call apparently consisted of the jig is up, him telling her what lies to tell me, they may not be able to talk again and that they loved each other. I really never considered the NC letter because of how things went down and the time that's passed . Is this something that she should do? Thanks for any advise.

Perhaps I should have been more general with my question. Anyone with any experience, wisdom or insight on this is greatly appreciated, thanks.

D
D
I don't understand the question? Did your WW write a NC letter to her POSOM using the template, let you review it and you both went to the post office to mail it off together? Or all she did was send that silly email? If there was no NC letter done then suspect ongoing contact. That might explain her behavior, do you have snooping in place? Is she O & H?

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by TranquilDark
I don't understand the question? Did your WW write a NC letter to her POSOM using the template, let you review it and you both went to the post office to mail it off together? Or all she did was send that silly email? If there was no NC letter done then suspect ongoing contact. That might explain her behavior, do you have snooping in place? Is she O & H?

No NC letter was ever sent. A week ago she showed one she had written using the example ML provided to another poster. I suspect no contact since the one on 2/9/12. Since I was caught by surprise on this, I was concidering the wisdom behind sending one or not because so much time has passed. I also know that OMW is very involved in taking care of EP's on her end.

D
D
I am not a vet by any means and you might wait for another opinion. But send that ***** off. The purpose of NC is to show you (BH) that WW has cut the adulterous creep out of her life. It is a prelude to the EPs that insure NO CONTACT FOR LIFE. If the slimy POSOM finds a way to contact your WW. She should immediately let you know and together you brainstorm better EPs to ensure NO CONTACT FOR LIFE. Each time there is contact her foggy induced thinking overrides recovery and sets you back to square one. My educated guess is that you have 0 trust in her now. NC letter and EPs are JC (just compensation) and a starting point to rebuild trust. Send it certified with a return receipt to ensure this SOB got it! SEND IT TOGETHER, WITH YOUR APPROVAL OF THE CONTENTS. Wish I knew how to link to the NC subject. Read about it in SAA.

Last edited by PhoenixMB; 03/20/13 11:15 AM. Reason: TOS
B
B
Yes she needs to send the NC letter.

Has she changed all her contact information?

What is her list of EPs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

D
D
Also, keep in mind the EPs are for you both.

M
M
Late, I am very confused. Your wife said she sent the MB nc letter in 2012. Yet you posted this nc letter very recently, when she has supposedly not had contact for a year? What is up?

And I see you are STILL talking about the affair?? Do I need to smack you around, Sir??

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Please don't give up on us. Whether it seems so or not, I believe you guys have helped in so many ways since we began posting. After rereading many posts on Trueform's thread and my own it seems so painfully obvious that O&H and communication in general has been pathetic, to put it kindly.

I have no one else to turn to. When you guys question Tf on either the facts or how they are conveyed, at least somebody not me is getting frustrated trying to decipher what is being said. Even when being truthful every sentence seems to leave wiggle-room.

Because of all of your input Tf is beginning to see this as a her problem not a LftS problem (subtle form of gas-lighting). Thank you again.

N
N
Please don't give up on us...you guys have helped in so many ways...I have no one else to turn to...at least somebody not me is getting frustrated...

No worries, mate! Even for us Noo Yawkers, this is not our first rodeo.

That said, it will be vital that she not convince you that we're being...unreasonable, mean, whatever...and she should withdraw. (She has not yet shown too much of that, which she gets credit for.)

Have you aver asked for a timeline, starting waaaaay back, and ending today? Having everything written (and editable) might help you (and us) keep track.

S
S
Please don't give up on us. Whether it seems so or not, I believe you guys have helped in so many ways since we began posting. After rereading many posts on Trueform's thread and my own it seems so painfully obvious that O&H and communication in general has been pathetic, to put it kindly.

I have no one else to turn to. When you guys question Tf on either the facts or how they are conveyed, at least somebody not me is getting frustrated trying to decipher what is being said. Even when being truthful every sentence seems to leave wiggle-room.

Because of all of your input Tf is beginning to see this as a her problem not a LftS problem (subtle form of gas-lighting). Thank you again.

When a person has had a SSL for so long, lying and lack of O&H just basically becomes a very bad habit that is difficult to break. Moreso for some (as you have unfortunately learned through multiple d-days).

Have you read through the O&H articles? There are tips in there to help your W (like filling out the personal questionnaire and going through it with you, etc) It is going to take time and it's also important that you basically remain calm and don't commit lovebusters while she is still learning to become O&H. Leave the room/house if you must.

Hang in there...

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Please don't give up on us...you guys have helped in so many ways...I have no one else to turn to...at least somebody not me is getting frustrated...

No worries, mate! Even for us Noo Yawkers, this is not our first rodeo.

That said, it will be vital that she not convince you that we're being...unreasonable, mean, whatever...and she should withdraw. (She has not yet shown too much of that, which she gets credit for.)

Have you aver asked for a timeline, starting waaaaay back, and ending today? Having everything written (and editable) might help you (and us) keep track.

Thank you. After reading your post I mentioned this to her and I believe she began more soul searching. I think she is really trying to be RH. The recent revelations are things not involving her AP, but others before we were married. Keeping these things secret is one of the things that helped make it easier for her to deceive me. They also would have weighed in my decision to marry her.

When a person has had a SSL for so long, lying and lack of O&H just basically becomes a very bad habit that is difficult to break. Moreso for some (as you have unfortunately learned through multiple d-days).

Have you read through the O&H articles? There are tips in there to help your W (like filling out the personal questionnaire and going through it with you, etc) It is going to take time and it's also important that you basically remain calm and don't commit lovebusters while she is still learning to become O&H. Leave the room/house if you must.

Hang in there...

Susie, I see this very clear in everything that has happened. After reading LB I also see how I often made it difficult for her to be honest with me. This is something I have been working very hard to overcome.

J
J
The recent revelations are things not involving her AP, but others before we were married. Keeping these things secret is one of the things that helped make it easier for her to deceive me. They also would have weighed in my decision to marry her...

When a pe After reading LB I also see how I often made it difficult for her to be honest with me. This is something I have been working very hard to overcome.

It appears that she manipulated you into marrying her by withholding critical information about herself. She hasn't been deceiving you from the beginning of your relationship because you "made it difficult for her to be honest."

She has been lying to us on this message board since her very first post, and she is still posting deceptive comments to us. We are not responsible for her lies, just as you are not responsible for her lies; she is responsible for her lies.

She tries to paint herself as a fearful, innocent victim--and you as the aggressor--in order to excuse her lies. That is utter nonsense. She doesn't lie because she is afraid of you (or us); she lies because it enables her to manipulate you (and us).

B
B
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
In my book, His Needs, Her Needs (chapter 7), I write about three kinds of liars: 1) born liars, 2) avoid trouble liars and 3) protector liars. From what you've said about her, she sounds like the avoid trouble liar. These people do things that they know are unacceptable, then when confronted they lie to avoid getting into trouble. Here are some of the points I make in this chapter:

The born liar is different than the avoid trouble liar in that he doesn't seem to know the difference between truth and fiction, and makes things up for no apparent reason or purpose. An avoid trouble liar, on the other hand, is very much aware of the truth and only lies to avoid getting into trouble.
The "avoid trouble" liar is used to getting their way. They usually have a long history of agreeing to anything and then doing what they please. When confronted with their lie, they promise they will never do it again, another lie, of course. They are usually very cheerful people because they are living a life that suits them just fine. If people would just stop telling them what to do, they think there would be no need for dishonesty. What they think makes them dishonest, is people trying to change them. They don't think it's right, so they tell people whatever they want to hear just to get them off their backs.
The way to help an "avoid trouble" liar learn to be truthful is to focus attention on honesty and ignore everything else for a while. I encourage such people to tell the truth in return for their spouses not telling them what to do. In other words, minimize the consequences of the acts that they are afraid will get them into trouble. Instead of trying to punish your wife for going back on her promises, I would put more emphasis on safe and pleasant negotiation, where she is free to explain what she wants to do, and give you a chance to offer alternatives that are genuinely attractive to her.

What happens now is that she feels she is "made" to agree with you. You have told her that unless she does this or that, you will leave her. Even in the beginning, you explained that unless she stopped smoking, you would not even date her. She has learned to agree with anything and then do what she pleases to avoid a fight or being abandoned. But what if there were no fight? What if you wouldn't leave her? I recommend that you try to stop fighting with her, and you stop threatening to leave her. When she tells you she smokes, tell her you would appreciate it if she didn't, and offer her incentives to stop. But I wouldn't use threats.

Infidelity is quite another matter, of course, but I think she has gone a long way just to have told you about it. I don't think she wants to make a habit of cheating on you, but she doesn't want you to threaten to kick her out either. I may sound naive on this point, but I would try to create a non-threatening environment for her first, and then see if she cheats on you.
Honesty and Openness #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
In my book, His Needs, Her Needs (chapter 7), I write about three kinds of liars: 1) born liars, 2) avoid trouble liars and 3) protector liars. From what you've said about her, she sounds like the avoid trouble liar. These people do things that they know are unacceptable, then when confronted they lie to avoid getting into trouble. Here are some of the points I make in this chapter:

The born liar is different than the avoid trouble liar in that he doesn't seem to know the difference between truth and fiction, and makes things up for no apparent reason or purpose. An avoid trouble liar, on the other hand, is very much aware of the truth and only lies to avoid getting into trouble.
The "avoid trouble" liar is used to getting their way. They usually have a long history of agreeing to anything and then doing what they please. When confronted with their lie, they promise they will never do it again, another lie, of course. They are usually very cheerful people because they are living a life that suits them just fine. If people would just stop telling them what to do, they think there would be no need for dishonesty. What they think makes them dishonest, is people trying to change them. They don't think it's right, so they tell people whatever they want to hear just to get them off their backs.
The way to help an "avoid trouble" liar learn to be truthful is to focus attention on honesty and ignore everything else for a while. I encourage such people to tell the truth in return for their spouses not telling them what to do. In other words, minimize the consequences of the acts that they are afraid will get them into trouble. Instead of trying to punish your wife for going back on her promises, I would put more emphasis on safe and pleasant negotiation, where she is free to explain what she wants to do, and give you a chance to offer alternatives that are genuinely attractive to her.

What happens now is that she feels she is "made" to agree with you. You have told her that unless she does this or that, you will leave her. Even in the beginning, you explained that unless she stopped smoking, you would not even date her. She has learned to agree with anything and then do what she pleases to avoid a fight or being abandoned. But what if there were no fight? What if you wouldn't leave her? I recommend that you try to stop fighting with her, and you stop threatening to leave her. When she tells you she smokes, tell her you would appreciate it if she didn't, and offer her incentives to stop. But I wouldn't use threats.

Infidelity is quite another matter, of course, but I think she has gone a long way just to have told you about it. I don't think she wants to make a habit of cheating on you, but she doesn't want you to threaten to kick her out either. I may sound naive on this point, but I would try to create a non-threatening environment for her first, and then see if she cheats on you.
Honesty and Openness #2

While I was reading the book I pointed out to Tf that I saw both the avoid trouble and protector liar as elements of this unrelenting deception. The rub here is that now, this week, I think she has come clean. The trouble is that the struggle, pain and time have done much damage.

The good news is I believe in redemption and this week is a good time for me to be open to the hope given by the Lord.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by JessicaClaire
The recent revelations are things not involving her AP, but others before we were married. Keeping these things secret is one of the things that helped make it easier for her to deceive me. They also would have weighed in my decision to marry her...

When a pe After reading LB I also see how I often made it difficult for her to be honest with me. This is something I have been working very hard to overcome.

It appears that she manipulated you into marrying her by withholding critical information about herself. She hasn't been deceiving you from the beginning of your relationship because you "made it difficult for her to be honest."

She has been lying to us on this message board since her very first post, and she is still posting deceptive comments to us. We are not responsible for her lies, just as you are not responsible for her lies; she is responsible for her lies.

She tries to paint herself as a fearful, innocent victim--and you as the aggressor--in order to excuse her lies. That is utter nonsense. She doesn't lie because she is afraid of you (or us); she lies because it enables her to manipulate you (and us).

Withholding information before we were married may seem OK to some folks but it is a very big deal for me. I asked some of these things straight up and was lied to. I should have been honestly answered when I asked about her previous boyfriend (a very friendly acquaintance of mine), instead of hearing the truth months after marriage. These type of things are disrespectful to me, as I should have been given the opportunity to sort things out before we took vows. This by no means says that I would not have married her � I was in love with her. She didn�t trust me.

After marriage I understand I certainly made things difficult with withdrawal, DJ�s, AO�s and abusing alcohol. Most of my destructive behavior was pretty difficult to hide which is both bad and good, since I couldn�t hide it even from myself. Tf is able objectively observe my attitude and behavior, I on the other hand no way of knowing her heart.

J
J
Withholding information before we were married may seem OK to some folks but it is a very big deal for me. I asked some of these things straight up and was lied to. I should have been honestly answered when I asked about her previous boyfriend (a very friendly acquaintance of mine), instead of hearing the truth months after marriage. These type of things are disrespectful to me, as I should have been given the opportunity to sort things out before we took vows.

This reminds me of a MB radio show I heard during the past few months. If I remember correctly, the couple had promised each other that they would remain virgins until their wedding day. However, the man had sex with another woman during the engagement period and didn't tell his wife until after they got married. The wife was really upset, and called into the radio show for advice. Dr. Harley's approach suprised me. Basically, he said the husband had already broken the terms of the marriage contract by marrying her under false pretenses. I don't remember whether the wife said she would have married him anyway, but Dr. Harley said she had the right to decide whether she wanted to remain married. The basic idea was that the marriage contract could be considered null and void because he'd duped her into the marriage though "false advertising."

In my opinion, your situation is even worse than the caller's because Trueform didn't just withold information about her past; she outright lied about it until after you married her.

I hope you and Trueform are able to get the whole truth out in the open, and then move forward with real recovery.

BrainHurts: Do you happen to know which radio show I'm referring to? I would like to post a link in case I'm remembering it inaccurately.

M
M
LAteforthesky, I feel exactly as you do about this issue. My husband lied to me about so many things before we got married. The entire time we were dating and engaged, he was carrying on relationships with other women on the internet. I always sensed something was very wrong but I was in such a state of shock in that point in my life, that I ignored it. I very much did feel I was defrauded into marrying someone I would not have married if I had all the facts.

I want to tell you, though, that I no longer have that resentment because all that resentment has been replaced with a romantic, happy, passionate marriage. I look at my husband and thank GOD every day he is mine. He has made my life so happy and complete.

My point is that you CAN overcome this resentment if you will follow this program. I am concerned that you and your wife seem so stuck on her affairs and her lies. There has to come a time where you stop talking about it and start working this program.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
LAteforthesky, I feel exactly as you do about this issue. My husband lied to me about so many things before we got married. The entire time we were dating and engaged, he was carrying on relationships with other women on the internet. I always sensed something was very wrong but I was in such a state of shock in that point in my life, that I ignored it. I very much did feel I was defrauded into marrying someone I would not have married if I had all the facts.

I want to tell you, though, that I no longer have that resentment because all that resentment has been replaced with a romantic, happy, passionate marriage. I look at my husband and thank GOD every day he is mine. He has made my life so happy and complete.

My point is that you CAN overcome this resentment if you will follow this program. I am concerned that you and your wife seem so stuck on her affairs and her lies. There has to come a time where you stop talking about it and start working this program.

Thanks MelodyLane, I needed that. The things you describe are what has always seemed just out of reach and in recent months appear absolutely unattainable. You guys are helpin� me pep talk myself back into an all in frame of mind.

Tomorrow is Holy Saturday, March 30. Well as irony would have it, it was Holy Saturday March 30, 1991 at about 2 PM I saw Trueform standing near me and decided I was going to call her up and ask for a date and the rest is history.

I sure wouldn�t mind this marriage being resurrected with a new glorified body.

Last edited by LatefortheSky; 03/29/13 03:35 PM.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 470 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation