Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
N
N
HFD, listen to Mel and Marital, please. They are giving you the gold-plated advice that you and HFM should take to heart.

I'll go so far as to say that I have NOTHING to add to enhance or supplement what those two colleagues are providing - and when was the last time you read THAT from NG?

M
M
I want to add that Markos and Prisca are giving him excellent ADVICE because none of this will EVER WORK if he is having ANY angry outbursts. That has to stop NOW if this is ever going to move forward.

And I will just tell you what Dr Harley told my husband. He told him he should get anger management coaching if he couldn't control his AO's. That is because nothing will work as long as he was having AO's.

He needs to be listening to all of us.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Read:
Lovebusters
Selfish Demands
Disrespectful Judgements
Angry Outbursts
How to Negotiate When You Are an Emotional Person (this article has a lot of advice on what to do when you are frustrated)

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

B
B
Originally Posted by helpfordad
Markos,

You wrote:

You know Dr. Harley's rule for what to do when you feel frustrated, right?
There's a defined procedure to follow. Do you know what it is?
There are some great strategies to suggest to YOU on how to do this,

I cannot answer these questions, honestly. What does Dr. Harley advise? What are the strategies?

Prisca,

You are correct, and as I stated in an earlier post, I need to be more assertive and proactive in my communicating my feelings/needs.
Here.
Anger Management 101

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Kids out until 11:00, so I set up night out followed by a DVD at home. We have our favorite Greek food and we walk it off to a frozen yogurt place. Things going great despite the overhang of the 2 year anniversary of you-know-what. We don't even come close to discussing THE subject, of course. Off to a spectacular night of UA.

We rented the same trigger you rented. Then that scene and whammo the funk sets in. However, she knows and is very quick to shut it and we watch sports.

I feel your pain as I wanted to blame her for not knowing the plot of the movie.

Should have rented Guilty Trip with Barbara Streisand, a comedy.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
H
H
We don't have any kindle or anything like that, so we'll need to order the book itself.

And will look into the home course. It dawned on me that the LB questionnaire is something we never did.

I feel that what happened Saturday with my "AO" is being mischaracterized a bit, becasue I feel that I didn't "explode" or anything, just left the room to do dishes when I was uncomfortable...and I eventually returned.

However, since I have had AOs, I guess I don't have much solid ground to stand on claiming this time or that time as an AO or not.

I am feeling a bit down becasue here I thought I was leading un in recovery, but maybe this whole time I've been too damaged to lead us the right way, and I want whats best for HFM and it seems I've been doing this wrong.

It seems maybe I'm not doing as well as I should be -- I have 1 or 2 thoughhts it seems stuck in my mind that I can't drive away and maybe it's hindering the recovery.

There are also a few LBs from HFM that I feel maybe I'm not expressing clearly enough for her to eliminate either? Ill need to focus on communicating that.

I think we have the self-discipline to do it right -- if we have the right plan and what it is exactly this should be looking like.

And sometimes I feel we're underestimating the power of UA time...which is difficult to come by right now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

V
V
HFD,

You can download a kindle reader to your PC or smartphone and get the book there. I haven't used my Kindle in a long time, but instead read Kindle books on my Iphone.

Viscountess

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
M
M
And will look into the home course. It dawned on me that the LB questionnaire is something we never did.

Not the home course, but the online course. You need a coach to guide you.
And sometimes I feel we're underestimating the power of UA time...which is difficult to come by right now.

This program doesn't work without the UA step. When Dr Harley was in active practice he wouldn't even counsel a couple who wouldn't commit to this step.

Just as I suspected, hfd, you aren't even doing Marriage Builders. There is a very good reason why your marriage hasn't improved. And it is because you aren't using the program. NOT because you are "too damaged."

I don't know how to emphasize to you that having no plan for recovery is a plan to fail. YOU ARE FAILING.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Mel,

I'm sorry -- that's what I meant -- the course that offers the books plus the private coach. I called it by the wrong name.

I think we do need to address the UA time -- which I hope HFM will post about later as well.

I thought we WERE following the MB principles...maybe we need to rededicate ourselves to it, and or work effort needs to be greater.

M
M
Mel,

I'm sorry -- that's what I meant -- the course that offers the books plus the private coach. I called it by the wrong name.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.

Exposure 101

A
A
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by markos
Okay, you need to take this really seriously. After 2? 3? years hanging around Marriage Builders, these are things you ought to know. Get to listening to that radio show. In fact, dig into the archives.

I suspect that he and his wife don't have the self discipline and vision to do this program on their own. This was one of the problems in my own marriage and I think it is the issue here too. Once I had Sandy walking us through the program step by step, it quickly fell into place. I just think some people need that kind of guidance.

This was also true for my H and me. We struggled for a long time, thinking we were doing the program on our own. However, once we got a coach, the improvement was almost immediate. The outside guidance made a huge difference, especially in the elimination of lovebusters. H and I highly recommend it.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
I feel that what happened Saturday with my "AO" is being mischaracterized a bit, becasue I feel that I didn't "explode" or anything, just left the room to do dishes when I was uncomfortable...and I eventually returned.

However, since I have had AOs, I guess I don't have much solid ground to stand on claiming this time or that time as an AO or not.

If you want this marriage to recover, then you need to take it seriously when your wife says you have had an angry outburst (or any other love buster). She is giving you valuable information about things you are doing that are depleting your balance in her Love Bank. These events are the reason why your marriage is failing to recover.

Incidentally, she said your angry outburst was after you returned. It wasn't just the fact that you left the room to do dishes.

Most of us who have angry outbursts don't remember what happened, after the fact. Your wife is telling you what happened. If you want to say she is "mischaracterizing" it, then that's going to be yet another love bank withdrawal, because that's you being disrespectful toward her about her memory of what happened.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I am feeling a bit down becasue here I thought I was leading un in recovery, but maybe this whole time I've been too damaged to lead us the right way, and I want whats best for HFM and it seems I've been doing this wrong.

You know "too damaged to lead us the right way" sounds awfully psychobabbly. And "leading us in recovery" is a really dramatic statement, too, but it doesn't say anything at all about what to actually DO for recovery. Marriage Builders is really about DOing the right things, not about having the right enthusiasm. There are people who DO the right things every day, even though they don't believe it will work, and recover their marriages. (In fact, there are people who accidentally DO those things every day with people they are not married to and start an affair. It's all about what you DO, not what you believe or how committed or enthusiastic you are.)

In a sense it is really a simple thing to find out the right things to DO and to DO them. The questions I've asked earlier in this thread have exposed some holes in your Marriage Builders knowledge: you aren't doing some of the right things, because you don't even know about those things.

It is crucial that you: 1) get educated, MB-wise, and 2) take the actions Marriage Builders stipulates for your situation.

Please don't think of your situation as a "surviving an affair" situation. Your situation is a "bad marriage in the present" situation. The steps for recovery for you, so long as your wife is taking extraordinary precautions to prevent another affair, are going to be virtually the same as an identical marriage where no affair has occurred. You need to 1) eliminate love busters, and 2) build a romantic relationship.

I have suggested several action items for you in my posts so far in this thread, and I hope you're going to act on them. And I've asked several questions you indicated you can't answer yet. Finding out the answers to those is another important action item for you, if you and your wife want your marriage to recover.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
If you want your marriage to recover, I would like to see an answer to this completely NON-rhetorical question:

Are you listening to Dr. Harley's hour of free help every day?

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4200_radio.html

I'm asking because, as a husband, I've often found that our marriage CANNOT progress if I let myself start to live in an attitude of entitlement, and I've found that Dr. Harley's perspective seems to be the perfect antidote to that entitlement: Dr. Harley puts a larger and somewhat unfair burden on husbands to win and pursue their wives in recovery. He does this regardless of whether the husband or the wife was unfaithful. He does this because it is what works. It's not fair, but there are times when the wife will not fully start to empathize with her husband, and meet his emotional needs, and even eliminate her own disrespect and demands, until her husband has started keeping a straight course of no love busters and meeting her emotional needs.

So I am strongly urging you to take your love busters seriously, work through the plans Dr. Harley has in his workbook, and assume the burden of restoring your marriage. Listen to Dr. Harley frequently and hear what his perspective on this is. It's rough - but it works.

H
H
I have not, but will begin to do so.

I already listened to Clip #1 from the radio show from the "Anger Management 101" links.

M
M
I have not, but will begin to do so.

I already listened to Clip #1 from the radio show from the "Anger Management 101" links.

That's a good place to start.

I strongly suggest you listen to the new show each day, plus an old show from the archives.

M
OP Offline
M
Dad, I'm getting caught up. Sorry I called you out yesterday and then never responded, but you've been in mighty fine hands.

The bottom line that I, and many others, are sensing, is that you and hfm have not been using Marriage Builders as your guide for recovery. Please do make use of the online course. It really is that important. You are seeing that groping your way through recovery is not working. Don't just "look into it." Action, sir. THAT is leading the way in recovery.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 05/13/13 09:09 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
I have suggested several action items for you in my posts so far in this thread, and I hope you're going to act on them. And I've asked several questions you indicated you can't answer yet. Finding out the answers to those is another important action item for you, if you and your wife want your marriage to recover.

How is your progress, dad? Have you made a list of action items from the posts in this thread, yet? And a list of questions you need to learn answers to, also? Have you completed any of the items, found any answers, yet?

I am frankly worried that you are posting about your brother's issues and haven't even found the questions for your own, yet. Suggest your brother come here to MB and get a good lawyer.

Last edited by markos; 05/14/13 01:44 PM.

H
H
I gotten quite capable of multiitasking ha, ha.

I've spent some time the last 2 days listening to the Anger Management 101 radio clips and digesting what Dr. Harley discusses.

All good points, and some 'actions' to incorporate, or relearn maybe the better word.

I'm trying to find readings on here that address what to do about not being able to get out/away from a situation that leads to the frustration that creates the anger as Dr. Harley describes? Or, if 'leaving' the situation is only temporary because the frustration is permanant?

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 986 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation