Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dmel Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I posted this question above and it seems to have been lost in the thread:

If I expose the affair, you are telling me I should stick with plan A, right? Which means try to stay engaged and meet her needs in any way possible, be my best self and show her I love her and want to reconcile. I've read the article on this but have a few questions. Do I try to prolong the divorce, fight it? How long do I do this for until I accept the divorce? How long after the divorce should I keep trying? We are at 18 months already since D-day, and a divorce could go quite quickly unless I drag it out. So I'm 100% aware this is not a good situation and want to know what I'd be up against and where the slivers of hope might be. I'm still learning how this works, so grateful for any information.

M
M
Originally Posted by dmel
I have really struggled with exposure. I have told our minister, numerous mutual friends, and my family. I have not told our kids (8 and 10),

Wow - your kids are not babies, sir. They are long past the age where they deserve to know the truth of why their world is falling apart. It would be immoral to withhold this truth from them.

her mom, or people at her work.

It's time to quit "struggling" with exposure, and just do it. You need to fight this affair. You cannot make love bank deposits as long as her love bank is open to another man. This is the elephant in the room.

Every single person in my life has warned me away from doing this.

I understand how it can feel when nobody in life gives you the support you need. But you need to rise up and do this. I think you know this and are waiting for confirmation. It's unfortunately none of your friends choose to support you, but your kids need you to deal with this head on like a man.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
After your exposure, I would stick with Plan A for about 6 more months before you move on. If you haven't reconciled by then, it is probably hopeless.

At this point, I think divorce is inevitable, so I wouldn't fight it just for the reason that it would cost you more money and you likely won't be successful. If you do reconcile, you can always remarry.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
For clarification: there is no personal conversation allowed with the OM, and she has to my knowledge been true to that (and given me access to her blackberry, etc to check up if I want). I have been getting help from other sites like Beyond Affairs which say there are circumstances where work related contact can be permissible if boundaries are strictly enforced. But I know that for the MB approach, even the professional contact is a problem. Is this generally seen here as a game-ending issue then? I know I have no hope of getting her to change jobs now, so if that's the case, I guess I'll just have to accept the divorce.

You have plenty of hope, if you will quit ruling out the required tools, like exposure.

Some people rule out every plan of attack and then throw up their hands and say "There's nothing I can do."

We would not be your friends if we let you do this without saying "Of course there's something you can do! Do what has worked for hundreds of people here! Fight the affair!"

I guarantee you she'll start wanting to consider quitting her job if everybody at work knows she's having an affair.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I posted this question above and it seems to have been lost in the thread:

If I expose the affair, you are telling me I should stick with plan A, right?

Plan A is your best chance to keep your marriage. Plan B is only for protecting you if the pain becomes so great you can't act rationally. It does not increase your chances of saving your marriage.

M
M
dmel, we have seen many instances where workplace exposures resulted in transfers of one of the affairees. Usually the workplace will try and do something. If that happened, it could make all the difference between success and failure in your situation, because she can NEVER withdraw and sober up as long as she sees the OM at work.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I would tell your kids what happened, though. You will have to explain your own affair. I would let them know the reason your marriage broke up. They have a right to know the truth.

Goodnes, yes! You need to confess your faults to the ones you have wounded - the victims of your crime.

They will need to truth from you to learn how to avoid repeating your mistakes in their own lives. They need the truth about their mother, too.

There is nothing to fear from truth.

M
M
Workplace exposure letter - be sure and send to 3 key people and cc each on the letter. Good targets would be the Director of Human Resources, a key VP and both affairee's supervisor. This can be sent via registered letter or even via email!

Developed by Brits Brat, board member and corporate attorney--

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to bring a matter to your attention that may be a violation of your Company's Code of Conduct and/or other policies, procedures and business ethics.

WS and OM are involved in an extramarital affair that is taking place, primarily, in the workplace. Aside from the potential sexual harassment claims this situation presents, it also involves the inappropriate use of company resources and assets. WS and WS are using company time and company resources to further their affair. If you check the call histories on their office and cell phones along with their workstation computers, you will find the two of them are spending an inordinate amount of what should be productive work time to further their sexual relationship.

If you have any questions, please call me at xxx-xxxx. Otherwise, I will anticipate a response from you once you have investigated these concerns and taken appropriate corrective action.

Regards,

Exposure 101

M
M
Thank you everyone for all the advice so far - I really appreciate it, though it is hard to hear.

Please forgive me if you hear this a million times. I'm not arguing with anyone, just trying to understand. There seems to be an automatic assumption that my wife's affair is continuing just because she continues to work with the OM. Are you defining "affair" as PA/EA, or the affair "fog" and confusion due to the continued contact.

The thing you're missing is that continued contact is an affair. It does the same stuff to the brain.

An affair is, neurologically speaking, an addiction. It's just like an addiction to alcohol or heroin. Seeing the affair partner is a hit. It affects the brain, every time, whether it's "personal contact" or "business contact" or whatever.

So continuing to see the affair partner at work is like quitting drinking but still sipping wine for 8-10 hours a day.

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
BUT I will tell you that I have NEVER EVER seen a cheater admit that their affair was involved. BECAUSE their goal is to blame the divorce on the betrayed spouse. We already KNOW that the reason they are getting divorced is because of the affair. So there is really no reason to ask a question you already know the answer to.

I know if I asked your wife why she is getting divorced, she would cite all of your shortcomings and explain why you are satan incarnate. She would rewrite the history of your marriage dredging up every wrongdoing going back 20 years. She would say she has never been in love with you OR fell out of love years and years ago. Heck, she has probably told people you "abused" her! Wayward wives love playing the "abuse" card.

As I said, she could lie, but has answered this question frankly on several previous occasions - never disclosed voluntarily, but at least answered direct questions. I figure it may be one way to possibly confirm something and at least I'd have hat info. If she denies obviously it may or may not be true.

Honestly, this is about as productive as asking a falling down drunk why they get drunk. I suppose it can't hurt, but it is not going to help. I seriously doubt she will admit that her affair is the cause of the divorce.

Dmel, first off, I'm terribly sorry for what you are going through. I was there years ago, dealt with the very same painful issues from a crazed WW, and I have a particular empathy for WW/BH situations because of it. I made plenty of the same mistakes you have already acknowledged (the biggest of which was being naive and not finding/implementing MB soon enough). A few points to emphasize that I also experienced personally:

A) "Asking" your WW for information is an utter waste of time and exercise in futility/frustration. There is a 99% chance that she is going to lie to you, deny everything, cover her backside, and even gaslight you to deflect. The common lies are things like...

We (her and OM) are 'just friends'.
He (OM) has nothing to do with our marriage situation.
Our marriage was over long before I met him anyway.

And so on and so on. Gaslighting is an even more insidious way of lying in which your WW will deflect by attacking you, often angrily, in an attempt to make you feel shamed or intimidated into backing off. As in...

You are paranoid! You are crazy! You really need some help. You are behaving like a stalker so stay out of my business!

B) Melody is correct that your WW's main goal is to pin the marriage's demise on YOU entirely and keep her affair out of consideration. She will emphasize and exaggerate everything remotely negative from the past and ignore or dismiss everything positive. This is the "re-writing of history" Melody wrote about. She will also scapegoat you beyond what you ever thought possible to anyone who listens to her. How you were a 'bad husband' she hasn't loved in years but she was pretty much a perfect wife. It is ALL your fault! She is blameless for anything beyond the most trivial error.

I really want to warn you especially about your WW playing the "abuse card". WWs LOVE using that. It makes you look like an ogre and it makes her look like a sympathetic figure who's justified in leaving (with no mention of the affair which is the real and primary reason after all). The scariest thing is how EASY it is for evil women to get away with it. The family court system is heavily biased against men and WWs know this. Pretty much all a WW has to do is bat her eyes, shed a few tears, and claim she's "been harrassed" or "is scared" of you and voila you will be assumed guilty.

There have been plenty of men here who after confronting/calling-out a WW have found themselves on the receiving end of an "abuse" (spousal or child) allegation, even using the kids as pawns. Don't think for a moment that your WW is too 'decent' to play that card. WWs can be very very evil.

C) Your best bet is always to investigate and expose independently of involving her in any way. I always advise BHs to hire a PI if at all possible to do the dirty work professionally and give yourself insulation. When you have the incontrovertible proof, expose widely all at once and without warning as descibed here on MB. That's the only chance (well, best one anyway) BHs have of breaking the affair early. And if it isn't broken early...well, more on that later.

I would do the above EVEN IF you don't want to save the marriage or its too far gone to likely salvage anyway. You will be glad you did even if you divorce. It will destroy her blame-you-strategy and expose her for the liar and cheat that she is. You will also have the peace of mind that comes from knowing you didn't behave like a doormat and accept no responsible for her infidelity.

D) I'm sorry to say this, but like Melody I doubt you are going to able to avoid divorce in this situation. If a WW is stubbornly continuing the affair or refusing to be genuinely remorseful/repentant this long, the marriage is un-save-able and frankly why would you want to with such a woman?

MB is geared towards people who WANT to try to recover their marriages but remember that isn't required. It is perfectly acceptable and maybe even more logical to choose to cut bait with a WS, especially if they refuse to alter their behaviors/attitudes for a substantial length of time.

I firmly believe from much reading and many personal observations that in general a WW is much harder to recover with than a WH. Their affairs tend to be more emotionally addicted and their attitudes toward their marriage/BH more belligerent and self-entitled. I urge BHs to Plan A, gather the info (PI), expose, and then be realistic about the prospects, especially if the affair has been going on a good while and she remains unrepentant. IMHO, such a woman isn't worth 2 years of wasting your life on.

Once again, I am very very sorry for what you are going through.

T
T
Or just that the continued contact at work is still messing with her head and that unless that is severed forever there is no chance at recovery? I ask only because I want to understand exactly what you mean when you say the affair is still continuing.
That is the truth.

Married 31 years, 5 kids, 4 GK

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation